Remove this ad
First  Prev  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  Next  Last
Post Reply Chihayafuru 2 Discussions
51281 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
the South Bay
Online
Posted 2/17/13
funny.....
30254 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 2/18/13

suikojay wrote:
Yep, you pretty much nailed the main reasons why I'm rooting for Team Arata! ... except for the part about him being "hot," lol.
But also, I think that it's inevitable that Chihaya will become the queen of Karuta sooner or later, and likewise, Arata will become the king of Karuta - and because of this, I think it sets itself up for the greatest potential for the most perfect & fitting ending by having the king and queen end up together by the end of the series. ^__^

Besides, I think a better match for Taichi is:



Aahahahahahah on the spoiler! Though I doubt that simply because of the placement of the T-shirts from the catchup episode (which btw is one of my favorite episodes.. LOL!!!!!)

Hey I'm surprised I haven't been reamed by a Taichi fan yet.. (bracing for impact) Agreed I like them both but for totally different reasons. However I'm much more of an Arata fan for those reasons. I'm also hoping to see more episodes with him. So far I love the one at the cemetery with his Dad being overly insensitive.. LOL I found out that the CR translation of the "bridge" they talk about is actually "magpies" which DEFINITELY confirms he knew exactly what she was talking about and agreed that they were like Vega and Altair (if I got that right) of 2 lovers being forced apart and "allowed" to only see each other once a year. if that doesn't prove that they love each other then nothing else will.. LOL

28474 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Scotland
Offline
Posted 2/18/13 , edited 2/18/13
As a Taichi supporter, I feel compelled to respond here. You can stop bracing now


Arsenette wrote:
There's a lot of simple reasons. Arata has been forthcoming with his feelings from day 1.

No, he hasn't. Arata has never told Chihaya (or anyone, for that matter) that he loves her, and in that respect, he's no different than Taichi. Heck, his long periods of no contact with Chihaya in season 1 illustrate how anxious Arata can be about the situation.


Taichi has always been petty towards Arata. Even when they grew up Taichi still falters and blames Arata for his short comings. When Chihaya gets a message from Arata or some contact between them happens Taichi turns into a vengeful 10 year old yelling someone stole his candy but does nothing to get the candy on his own. As Arata mentioned a few times Taichi is a coward.

I never saw it as Taichi blaming Arata. I see it this way: Taichi is smart, sporty, popular... he's able to be good at a lot of things. But he values karuta above them all, and he just doesn't have the natural talent or luck or whatever to succeed there. He knows that Arata was the one to introduce Chihaya to the world of karuta, and since Chihaya is so karuta-crazy, he feels he needs to catch up to Arata to be a contender for Chihaya's affections. Arata, though, is more gifted than Taichi, and no matter how hard Taichi works, he doesn't feel he's catching up. So he gets frustrated at the whole situation, but I don't think he blames Arata for his own inability to catch up.

As for Taichi not making a move on Chihaya... well, what good would it do him? When the girl you love tears up at every text sent by another guy, what are you supposed to do? Move in and risk your friendship on a one in a million gamble? I don't like those odds, and neither does Taichi.


Arata on the other hand is not perfect.. far from it. He has his own issues.. however I prefer how he deals with life and other people as a result. He's considerate of people's feelings around him (almost to a fault) especially Taichi because he knows how spineless Taichi is with Chihaya. A girl they are BOTH in love with. Even after all of these years Arata is still considerate of Taichi when he really shouldn't be. Taichi on the other hand isn't and is in constant "conflict" with Arata everytime they are together. Something he should have outgrown years ago. THAT is why I love Arata Besides.. Arata is hot..

Taichi is jealous of Arata. He will try to find any advantage he has over him, and in that sense, he's petty. That much is true. But he's really upfront to Arata about this, and he never lets his pettiness interfere with anything Arata has to do with Chihaya. He's the perennial underdog, but he's never underhanded. And he keeps trying his best to improve even when his situation doesn't seem to be improving. That takes real guts, and I really hope all of Taichi's efforts pay off in the end.
30254 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 2/18/13 , edited 2/18/13
LOL about the bracing :)

Oh I disagree with your first point of Arata not mentioning to anyone.. Point blank he let Taichi know that he empathized with Taichi the day Taichi returned his glasses on what.. episode 2? Taichi in tears hoping Arata didn't tattle that he stole the glasses because he didn't want her to hate him and Arata understanding because he felt the same way. Then again when he met Taichi at the competition where Taichi was attempting to get to Class A (but failed) and met Arata on his own. Arata eluding to not going after Chihaya because he thought Taichi and her were a couple only to hear Taichi freak out and say "no way..." Even Taichi was taken aback at the question and ultimate reaction of relief from Arata when he said it. Taichi even said to Arata that he was surprised how sensitive he was to the situation. So the idea that "no one knows" how Arata feels about her is ridiculous. Taichi knows it and that is what freaks him out. He KNOWS they have feelings for each other and if distance was no longer a problem it would be a problem for him. But he's too much of a coward to try to go after her for fear of rejection. Arata stayed away on purpose as to not encroach on Taichi's territory. I call that gentleman-like. Now that he knows she's available I'm reaaaally looking forward to how this part of the relationship develops. Heck it's evident with their constant emails NOW that once he knew the barrier didn't exist it's all fair game now.

I don't fault Taichi for his envy of a man who doesn't even live within 10 prefectures of the object of his affection in his own prefecture. However, I don't like how he takes it out on Arata whenever they are around each other. Blaming his failure the first time in Arata's presence and even when Chihaya finally calmed down after seeing Arata he had to throw that out of his mind or he would start to get flustered. When they were kids can always be faulted on age but when you are an adult that's different. Even something simple as not giving her the note with Arata's cell phone until way after the fact is proof. Mentioning Arata's name now sets him in a rage and anguish. The reaction to his text and seeing Chihaya's reaction was painful to watch. He can see his world shatter right in front of him. I feel for the guy but that's what he gets for being spineless. He has himself to blame.. not Arata.
15276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bay Area CA
Offline
Posted 2/18/13
Pretty much agree with everything Potato has to say.

I'd also add that it seems not only Chihaya is putting Arata on a pedestal...

Arata wallows around in his own self loathing for an entire season afraid to face his demons or his past. He uses them as a petty excuse to lock himself away and push away the closest friends he has, then finally has a change of heart as they are leaving and he's some sort of saint? No. Add to that he uses Taichi as a buffer zone to contact Chihaya, twisting the knife in a truly spineless gesture as they both know full well the extent of the others feelings about Chihaya. It's easy to pick Taichi apart, you know why? Because he's actually there. He has helped Chihaya in every way he could since they met back up in HS and he even helps when it basically continues to erode his chances with Chihaya. Yeah what a truly selfish person Taichi is.

30254 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 2/18/13
Personally I see someone who truly loved his grandfather and mourned the hell out of his death a bit more noble than someone who fears the rejection of some girl. If that is being petty then count me in on that group.

As for using Taichi as a buffer.. when? He willingly stopped talking to Chihaya until Chihaya went after him. Now they contact each other without provocation or help. How is that truly spineless and twisting the knife? Did Arata tell Taichi to send that last text on the train? I think not.
15276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bay Area CA
Offline
Posted 2/18/13
There is a difference between mourning someone and blaming yourself for their death and in turn quitting the thing that brought them together. Willingly stopped talking to Chihaya? He wrote them out of his life the minute he decided karuta and himself were to blame for his grandfathers death. The phone call where Arata told her to never call back again was pretty clear about that. Seems to me you're conveniently forgetting these facts.

I don't know what text you are referring to, but as it stands Arata stayed in contact but only through Taichi for most of the first season. Hence the buffer zone.
30254 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 2/18/13 , edited 2/18/13

tommythecat wrote:

There is a difference between mourning someone and blaming yourself for their death and in turn quitting the thing that brought them together. Willingly stopped talking to Chihaya? He wrote them out of his life the minute he decided karuta and himself were to blame for his grandfathers death. The phone call where Arata told her to never call back again was pretty clear about that. Seems to me you're conveniently forgetting these facts.

I don't know what text you are referring to, but as it stands Arata stayed in contact but only through Taichi for most of the first season. Hence the buffer zone.


No I'm not conveniently forgetting. You've never experienced loss the way Arata has.. I have. I can attest to that. Life is just not the same and you block all things out including your surroundings. I don't even watch or do certain things because they are tied to painful memories. Again.. I count that more reasonable than something so trivial as the affections of a grade school crush. It's all perspective. Karuta in this case is the tool to get him out of his depression and he responded immediately to Chihaya once she came face to face with him. I tie experiences to locations and even things. If he STILL was in that depression and rejected both Taichi and Chihaya after finally being confronted then that's another subject but he didn't. He finally realized he was not alone and they sparked his passion for the game in realizing that it is a way to keep his grandfather's memories alive. If anyone knew how much he loved his grandfather and karuta it would be Taichi and Chihaya.

As for text.. just watch the last scene of the last episode. It's obvious you forgot about it. Look at Taichi's face when Chihaya breaks down in tears.

As for buffer. They didn't have each other's cell phone numbers. That was clear. When he finally did give him the cell Taichi withheld it from Chihaya for well over a month.
53834 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 2/18/13
I'm not going to wade into this debate. Everyone has their preference for who Chihaya will end up with. Yes, I prefer Taichi, but that doesn't mean Arata is a bad guy. Both Taichi and Arata have been petty and cowardly at different times. Neither is perfect, nor are they bad guys. Both have supported Chihaya in their own ways.

The real question is when is Chihaya going to notice anything but the cards?
15276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bay Area CA
Offline
Posted 2/18/13
No offense but please don't assume things I have and have not experienced.

Aratas struggles resonate with you that's fine but you continue to look passed his flaws, flaws which both he and Taichi share at times and make them equally at fault and stupid. As for the text, no I didn't forget about it but your vague comment was hard to discern. Taichi is frustrated, frustrated that even though Arata is barely involved in Chihayas day to day life her feelings are worn on her sleeve about him. He wants Chihaya to be happy so he doesn't make his feelings obvious because all that will do is confuse her and force her to actually think about it instead of just playing the game she enjoys with her friends and trying her best to become a master.
28474 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Scotland
Offline
Posted 2/18/13
Arsenette, I'm not denying that both Arata and Taichi are fully aware that they both have feelings for Chihaya. I just don't see the difference between the two on the point of how forthcoming they are about it. Neither has vocalised it, both are aware of it, and neither is ready to tell Chihaya.

You don't remember when Taichi was used as a buffer? You alluded to one case yourself - Arata gave Taichi his phone number to pass on to Chihaya. It was awkward rather than intentionally mean, but it will have hurt Taichi nonetheless. Taichi was wrong not to pass it on right away, but at the same time I don't really blame him - Arata was taking the easy way out to circumvent his awkwardness while putting Taichi in a situation where he had to give his rival a leg up because Arata wasn't willing to make the effort. I don't hate Arata for not feeling up to facing Chihaya right away after years of pushing her away, but Taichi is more likely to face a difficult situation head-on, and that's one thing I like about him.

I agree that Arata has become more comfortable with the situation recently, and that's nice to see. I would definitely like him to be more of a feature in future episodes!
19873 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Ar
Online
Posted 2/18/13

deadpanditto wrote:

I'm not going to wade into this debate. Everyone has their preference for who Chihaya will end up with. Yes, I prefer Taichi, but that doesn't mean Arata is a bad guy. Both Taichi and Arata have been petty and cowardly at different times. Neither is perfect, nor are they bad guys. Both have supported Chihaya in their own ways.

The real question is when is Chihaya going to notice anything but the cards?


Well said above about Chi noticing something other than cards. That last scene with her reading Arata's e-mail makes me think for a moment maybe there might be something other than cards; however, I'm not going to get involved in the huge debate above. I've mentioned my opinion about Chi, Arata, and Taichi before. Folks need to remember these kids are in high school and immaturity drives a lot of what happens.
23733 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / 七十七 / ミシガン
Offline
Posted 2/18/13 , edited 2/18/13

deadpanditto wrote:
The real question is when is Chihaya going to notice anything but the cards?

Yep, that's what I was thinking as well, as I'm still not entirely convinced that she feels romantic feelings towards anyone. I think at the very least though, she has great respect for Arata (and truly cares about her friendship w/him), but anything more than that, I think is still a bit of a mystery until she actually goes out and states it clearly.
53834 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 2/18/13

suikojay wrote:


deadpanditto wrote:
The real question is when is Chihaya going to notice anything but the cards?

Yep, that's what I was thinking as well, as I'm still not entirely convinced that she feels romantic feelings towards anyone. I think at the very least though, she has great respect for Arata (and truly cares about her friendship w/him), but anything more than that, I think is still a bit of a mystery until she actually goes out and states it clearly.


I totally agree. We know she values really values and cares about her friends, even if she expresses it poorly sometimes. As for romantic feelings... well, she's called "Beauty In Vain" for good reason.
15276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bay Area CA
Offline
Posted 2/18/13

suikojay wrote:


deadpanditto wrote:
The real question is when is Chihaya going to notice anything but the cards?

Yep, that's what I was thinking as well, as I'm still not entirely convinced that she feels romantic feelings towards anyone. I think at the very least though, she has great respect for Arata (and truly cares about her friendship w/him), but anything more than that, I think is still a bit of a mystery until she actually goes out and states it clearly.


That question actually plays pretty well into last episode, so focused on the cards that she doesn't know what is going on around her. I wonder if that was intentionally done. I can also agree that Chihaya probably doesn't consider her feelings for Arata as romantic but breaking into tears so often as a result of him paints a picture, to Taichi at the very least.
First  Prev  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.