First  Prev  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  Next  Last
Post Reply Chihayafuru 2 Discussions
53209 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 3/15/13

Sophiekat89 wrote:

hpulley wrote:
Totally off topic now, but how is Chihayafuru manga? I love the sounds and action in the anime and wonder how they did it originally in the manga. Might have to buy a volume or all of them to see for myself ....

The character design is gorgeous. Though I love the riot of colours and the acoustic experience of the anime, Chihayafuru is one of the most beautifully drawn postmodern series I've read. I highly recommend it!

I'm conscious that I'm veering off topic now, but have you heard of Utakoi? This series explores the historical and cultural backdrop of the Hyakunin Isshu poets. Stylistically it's very impressive, almost like a picturebook and the perfect companion to Chihayafuru (I've since grown to love tanka poetry and recently bought the S. Mostow translation of the Hyakunin Isshu :-) Wouldn't it be spectacular to watch a live Karuta game! (P.S perhaps we should continue this discussion on a more relevant forum ;D


Yes, I watched Utakoi, too bad they couldn't do all 100 poems.

I would love to play Karuta but not sure there is a club round here. Need one person I guess...
Posted 3/15/13

hpulley wrote:
Yes, I watched Utakoi, too bad they couldn't do all 100 poems.

I would love to play Karuta but not sure there is a club round here. Need one person I guess...

No clubs in my home town either, but there are annual Karuta demonstrations in London. Competitive Karuta is very popular in Japan's Pacific neighbour, New Zealand. Once my Japanese is at an acceptable level I'll look into starting an informal club (though I probably won't go on a recruiting rampage, Chihaya-style!)
25041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Ar
Online
Posted 3/15/13
Chihaya is such an interesting character. I'm actually glad the Queen showed up because Arata looked like he was going to quit and run away again without saying a word to Chihaya or Taichi. Definitely can tell Taichi likes to explode when it comes to Arata being mentioned by Chi. I know it was to help the team in one aspect but I want to see the reaction Chi and Arata have when they see each other next. Good episode.
Posted 3/15/13
Karuta is also the subject of academic research in Second Language Acquisition! I found an article on a case study of Japanese high school students playing an adapted version of Karuta to hone their listening skills: http://www.academia.edu/1117762/Using_a_Japanese_Card_Game_Karuta_to_Enhance_Listening_and_Speaking_Skills_in_Japanese_Learners_of_English
58877 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
the South Bay
Offline
Posted 3/15/13 , edited 3/15/13
Episode 10

Indeed..... there were some funny moments in this episode The images were a crack up...I was laughing here and there.

I find the way Arata treats Shinubo chan kinda sweet , almost like a brother ....but at the same .....anyway it looks like we are watching one round after the other...
29843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / 七十七 / ミシガン
Offline
Posted 3/15/13

Deeds1987 wrote:

What I didn't understand was why Nishida or "Porky" wanted to keep Desktomu-kun out of the playoffs. That seemed weird to me. It's obvious that the new guy Tsukuba was feeling tired, so wouldn't it make more sense to switch him out? Of course, maybe this is more "tough love" teaching from Nishida who seems to have taken interest in helping the new guy. What do you think his reason is?

I have no idea what Porky's reason could be, but I'm sure he has a strategic explanation for it. Perhaps since Desk-kun is really smart, Porky wants him to handle the scouting and figure out the strengths and weaknesses of their opponents, since they obviously have some really tough competition ahead of them.


Seems like no resolution was reached with Arata but





22162 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / US
Offline
Posted 3/15/13

suikojay wrote:

Deeds1987 wrote:
What I didn't understand was why Nishida or "Porky" wanted to keep Desktomu-kun out of the playoffs. That seemed weird to me. It's obvious that the new guy Tsukuba was feeling tired, so wouldn't it make more sense to switch him out? Of course, maybe this is more "tough love" teaching from Nishida who seems to have taken interest in helping the new guy. What do you think his reason is?

I have no idea what Porky's reason could be, but I'm sure he has a strategic explanation for it. Perhaps since Desk-kun is really smart, Porky wants him to handle the scouting and figure out the strengths and weaknesses of their opponents, since they obviously have some really tough competition ahead of them.

The key is probably in what Sumire said about not wanting to go to war, and the blank reaction she got from Tsutomu. I'm guessing he's lost his will to fight, and this is obvious to Nishida.
29843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / 七十七 / ミシガン
Offline
Posted 3/15/13

tcfenstermaker wrote:
The key is probably in what Sumire said about not wanting to go to war, and the blank reaction she got from Tsutomu. I'm guessing he's lost his will to fight, and this is obvious to Nishida.

Hmm, at first, I actually interpreted Tsutomu's reaction a little differently. I was thinking maybe he might have been disappointed in what Sumire had said about not being interested in playing in the tournament. However, I went and re-watched that little scene, and it seems like after Sumire says "Unlike everyone else, I don't have the fighting spirit to be a player," you see Desk-kun's head lower, which I think agrees with what u had said about losing his fighting spirit.
36365 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 3/15/13
Am I the only one wanting to throw something at the screen with Taichi trying to 'shut up' Chihaya with the lame excuse that it's to keep her focused? HE'S the one that needs to be focused and accept Arata exists and he affects Chihaya. I'm happy Chihaya though is basically backslapping him into reality thinking that the world doesn't revolve around his insecure ego.
25041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Ar
Online
Posted 3/15/13
Yea, in my post earlier I didn't mention directly that Taichi is being ornery because I believe he's sad/upset that he cannot make Chi feel the way about him like she does for Arata. I think she would be more focused and relaxed if she got to see Arata before the next match. You can tell at times she's anxious because of the anticipation of Arata watching her and now that she knows he's in the building idk how she will be able to focus 100% but for those of us on Team Arata, I don't think we mind her total focus not being at the match. :)
At least, that's my opinion on this.
58877 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
the South Bay
Offline
Posted 3/16/13 , edited 3/16/13
Well who is their next opponent, is it the one with the most girls in it?

If it is , I think Nishida is considering that too plus the weak reaction from Tsukuba kun and besides is it their plan to make one of their kohai the growth he needs ... well I am thinking too much lol?

Yeap TAichi is reacting in a jealous manner but I love hearing Mamuro delivering his serious lines becuase he is one gooffy ekimen seiyuu
15276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Bay Area CA
Offline
Posted 3/16/13

shaunj07 wrote:

Yea, in my post earlier I didn't mention directly that Taichi is being ornery because I believe he's sad/upset that he cannot make Chi feel the way about him like she does for Arata. I think she would be more focused and relaxed if she got to see Arata before the next match. You can tell at times she's anxious because of the anticipation of Arata watching her and now that she knows he's in the building idk how she will be able to focus 100% but for those of us on Team Arata, I don't think we mind her total focus not being at the match. :)
At least, that's my opinion on this.


Let's be honest here Tachi has a point. During her matches she is always fighting back from not being able to focus. She has a terrible habit of being awestruck or easily distracted, hell the last match was a perfect example of that. She's got the attention span of a humming bird and falls asleep standing up like one as well. Tachi is focused on the team and Chihaya is only focused on the things right in front of her, she eventually settles into focusing on the right things again like the team and Karuta but that is after much effort on her and sometimes Taichis part.
25041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Ar
Online
Posted 3/16/13

tommythecat wrote:


shaunj07 wrote:

Yea, in my post earlier I didn't mention directly that Taichi is being ornery because I believe he's sad/upset that he cannot make Chi feel the way about him like she does for Arata. I think she would be more focused and relaxed if she got to see Arata before the next match. You can tell at times she's anxious because of the anticipation of Arata watching her and now that she knows he's in the building idk how she will be able to focus 100% but for those of us on Team Arata, I don't think we mind her total focus not being at the match. :)
At least, that's my opinion on this.


Let's be honest here Tachi has a point. During her matches she is always fighting back from not being able to focus. She has a terrible habit of being awestruck or easily distracted, hell the last match was a perfect example of that. She's got the attention span of a humming bird and falls asleep standing up like one as well. Tachi is focused on the team and Chihaya is only focused on the things right in front of her, she eventually settles into focusing on the right things again like the team and Karuta but that is after much effort on her and sometimes Taichis part.


I think your misunderstanding something. I only mentioned that part of it because I know Taichi HAS to act that way at times because of Chihaya's tendencies but I don't think I'm wrong in saying what I did. While Taichi has his struggles trying to keep her focused if he wasn't there on that team she would have difficulties. I'm not making light of what he does for her and the team; however, mentioning what I did is obvious as well.
50403 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / PA
Offline
Posted 3/16/13

Arsenette wrote:

Am I the only one wanting to throw something at the screen with Taichi trying to 'shut up' Chihaya with the lame excuse that it's to keep her focused? HE'S the one that needs to be focused and accept Arata exists and he affects Chihaya. I'm happy Chihaya though is basically backslapping him into reality thinking that the world doesn't revolve around his insecure ego.


shaunj07 wrote:

Yea, in my post earlier I didn't mention directly that Taichi is being ornery because I believe he's sad/upset that he cannot make Chi feel the way about him like she does for Arata. I think she would be more focused and relaxed if she got to see Arata before the next match. You can tell at times she's anxious because of the anticipation of Arata watching her and now that she knows he's in the building idk how she will be able to focus 100% but for those of us on Team Arata, I don't think we mind her total focus not being at the match. :)
At least, that's my opinion on this.


Yes, although I don't necessarily want to throw stuff at him, I think this is part of the reason that I don't like Taichi as much. He says he does it to keep her focused, but it seems more like he's throwing a little hissy fit seeing how just hearing Arata is in the building makes Chihaya so excited. It's to the point where I'm like, just freakin' tell her how you feel already. Man up! If you can't do that, then you are a coward and I can't support you. Of course he can't do that now at a tournament, he'd throw Chihaya off, but he has had plenty of other opportunities. I keep saying this, but every time I root for one character in the love triangle over the other, the girl picks the guy I like less. Maybe I should start rooting for Taichi...

As for the actual story so far, I'm getting excited for the individual matches. I hope Chihaya gets to play Shinobu again. And I really want to see what Arata can do in a match! As long as he isn't disqualifed, that is. I doubt they actually will. I'm disappointed that Oe lost her match too! Wasn't she doing pretty well at first? I also agree that Porky is letting Desktomu stay out of the match, not forcing him to stay out. I think Desktomu feels more useful to the team taking notes on the other teams than playing honestly.
25041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Ar
Online
Posted 3/16/13

SumeragiSakura wrote:


Arsenette wrote:

Am I the only one wanting to throw something at the screen with Taichi trying to 'shut up' Chihaya with the lame excuse that it's to keep her focused? HE'S the one that needs to be focused and accept Arata exists and he affects Chihaya. I'm happy Chihaya though is basically backslapping him into reality thinking that the world doesn't revolve around his insecure ego.


shaunj07 wrote:

Yea, in my post earlier I didn't mention directly that Taichi is being ornery because I believe he's sad/upset that he cannot make Chi feel the way about him like she does for Arata. I think she would be more focused and relaxed if she got to see Arata before the next match. You can tell at times she's anxious because of the anticipation of Arata watching her and now that she knows he's in the building idk how she will be able to focus 100% but for those of us on Team Arata, I don't think we mind her total focus not being at the match. :)
At least, that's my opinion on this.


Yes, although I don't necessarily want to throw stuff at him, I think this is part of the reason that I don't like Taichi as much. He says he does it to keep her focused, but it seems more like he's throwing a little hissy fit seeing how just hearing Arata is in the building makes Chihaya so excited. It's to the point where I'm like, just freakin' tell her how you feel already. Man up! If you can't do that, then you are a coward and I can't support you. Of course he can't do that now at a tournament, he'd throw Chihaya off, but he has had plenty of other opportunities. I keep saying this, but every time I root for one character in the love triangle over the other, the girl picks the guy I like less. Maybe I should start rooting for Taichi...

As for the actual story so far, I'm getting excited for the individual matches. I hope Chihaya gets to play Shinobu again. And I really want to see what Arata can do in a match! As long as he isn't disqualifed, that is. I doubt they actually will. I'm disappointed that Oe lost her match too! Wasn't she doing pretty well at first? I also agree that Porky is letting Desktomu stay out of the match, not forcing him to stay out. I think Desktomu feels more useful to the team taking notes on the other teams than playing honestly.


Yea, I agree with your point. At some point when they're not in the match Taichi needs to tell Chi how he feels otherwise it will always be like it currently is. The hissy fit is annoying. As far as the Queen and Chi playing again I think it would als be cool to see Arata and Taichi play each other and then my favorite battle would be to see Chi and Arata play each other. I would just say keep rooting for who you want out of the triangle because you want to stay with who you feel is the better choice. It would be awkward going against how you feel right?
First  Prev  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.