First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Being forced to drive, is that okay? What are your opinions?
Jarexx 
25791 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Boston
Offline
Posted 1/13/13
Sad thread is sad.
65093 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / MN
Offline
Posted 1/13/13
Learning to drive or not learn depends a lot on the situation and how much your willing to give up. If you live in a city or area with lots of public transportation. That's one thing if you live some where isolated its another. If your determined to not drive you better be equally willing to not rely on others. I hate driving with a passion, I have a hard time thinking of any thing I despise more. But I still learned as not to be a burden, then when able moved to a city an brought a bike so I don't need to drive anymore.
42464 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 1/13/13
You have no idea how liberating being able to drive yourself is until you have had a car, and then have it taken away.

As a responsible adult, you will need to:
1) Go to the bank
2) Go to work/school
3) Go to the grocery store (and carry groceries for the week)
4) Get a hair cut
5) Go to the Doctor's
etc etc...

Example, Last semester, I didn't have a car, because my brother needed it for his job. I had to have surgery, for which I could not eat for 48 hours before the day of surgery. On top of this, the medicine I took left me weak. Because my surgery was early in the morning, I had to wake up at 6 o'clock in the morning and walk to the hospital in the cold and the dark. Not a particularly pleasant experience.

Getting groceries is a pain, because when you don't have a car, you are limited by how much you can carry. You buy less liquids, fruits and vegetables because they are heavy and/or bulky. You eat more dry, packaged meals. You also start ordering more pizza. Because it takes more time to go home to eat, you eat at the cafeteria more often which costs more money. I was lucky that the local Meijers had a bike rack, and I had a basket and grocery bags for my bike.

Something as simple as getting a hair cut becomes more complicated. There were only two barbershops in town, and neither of them had bike racks. Fortunately, one of the barbershops had a satellite dish attached to a pole, which I could lock my bike up on. If not for that bike pole, I would either have to budget an extra hour of time so I could walk to the barbershop, or just stop getting my hair cut for the entire semester.

Need quarters to do your laundery? That means you have to go to the bank to get them. Only one bank had a bike rack, so I had to open an account with them to do business there.

So no, you don't have to drive if you don't want to, and at the end of the day, nobody can FORCE you to learn how to drive. But I would strongly encourage you to at least try to get your driver's license. Having a car is INCREDIBLY convenient if you ever live somewhere where there isn't a good public transit system.
29765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / US of A
Offline
Posted 1/13/13
I felt the same way about a year or so ago. I feel that parents shouldn't force it, but then will you ever want to learn? My parents forced me to drive and take road and range.

But honestly, after you get used to driving, you'll come to love it!

Trust me!
809 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Way outside the box
Offline
Posted 1/13/13

dark_paradox_21 wrote:



This is exactly what I'm talking about. What sense of entitlement are they teaching in schools these days? I know I am not exactly a stellar citizen being that I'm a grown man watching anime -- but I paid for my computer with money I earned at my real big-boy job and I picked up the parts in my big boy car that I also paid for with money I made at my big-boy job. How is it that you little brats think its ok to bum rides and ask for handouts all the time? Aren't you humiliated? Aren't you embarrassed?

I lost my job for a while in '08 when the economy crashed. I had to crash on a friend's couch for a while. It was absolutely humiliating -- the lowest point in my life. How can you do that every day with no shame? How can you say, "I'll just bum rides" so nonchalantly? I really don't understand how any sane young person could not crave independence. It blows my freakin mind!

My Grandfather was fighting the Japanese at 17. I was in college at 16. These posts by late teens and early-twenty-somethings truly terrify me. YOU are the reason humanity is screwed. Learn to drive and get a job! Take care of yourselves! You'll feel better about yourselves if you actually DO something to feel good about. Until you physically DO something you are NOT important, you are NOT special and you do NOT matter.

Besides, if you love your family and friends don't you want to help them rather than take all the time?


What?? please quit insulting me when you don't know who I am I'm sorry my previous comments made it seem like I was a brat or something but I am not

Like I said before if somebody ask if I need a ride I will say sure but unless its necessary I won't bum a ride I do work for the things have in this life I'm only 16 now with no license so when I do drive its illegal so I try not to take to mainy risk

I don't ask my friends or family for much I try to be self sufficient on my own but there are limits to what I can do at my age and my location I hope you now realize I'm not the person you were describing
32304 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Texas
Offline
Posted 1/13/13
I managed to avoid learning to drive until I was 26 - I used buses and taxis up to that point. However, when it came time to apply for jobs after college, I found myself wishing I hadn't put it off for so long. When you're a newbie in your career, it can be hard to get a job in cities big enough to have public transit. And, by the way, search committees in a lot of those smaller places assume you know how to drive and may not be willing to pick up the tab if you have to take a taxi or shuttle because you're not able to drive a rental car. I ended up in a little town that doesn't have taxis, doesn't have bike paths, and still manages to be a little too big to handle just with walking (although I walk as much as possible, because I really do hate driving). I got my license just before I got this job, but I wish I'd gotten my license sooner and had spent those years getting comfortable driving.

I guess my point is, yes, being forced to drive sucks, but it might end up being really helpful in the long run. You never know where you'll end up and, as crazy as it might seem, there are still lots of places that aren't built for walking, biking, or busing. Being able to drive gives you greater flexibility in the future.
32304 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Texas
Offline
Posted 1/13/13
I just looked at some of the previous comments on this thread, and, wow, some of you commenters have absolutely no idea what living in a bigger city is like, do you? You do realize there are places where it is perfectly possible and, in fact, more convenient not to own a car. There are also plenty of people in those places who don't know how to drive, don't need to, and are still perfectly independent despite this. In the city where I used to live, a monthly bus pass cost me $50 - unlimited rides for only $50. My car, on the other hand, costs me approximately $80 per month for insurance, $300 per month for payments, and then whatever extra for gas. Plus, if anything breaks down, I have to pay to fix it. If you live in a bigger city, you can also expect to pay a certain amount for parking (one of the lots near the apartment I lived in in Chicago cost $20 per day). From that perspective, car ownership seems crazy and illogical. If my little town had public transit, I'd sell my car and keep a lot more of my paycheck each month.
27559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Toledo
Offline
Posted 1/13/13 , edited 1/13/13

dark_paradox_21 wrote:

In the US, learning to drive is a necessity. When you were little, you probably didn't want to learn to wipe your own butt either. Why wipe yourself and get your hands dirty when you can yell for mommy or daddy? Driving is the same thing except that driving can be enjoyable.

Guess what - in the real world you'll probably have to get somewhere at some time. Unless you have plenty of money for taxis or private drivers, learning to drive is a necessity. If you live in a major metropolitan area with a great mass transit system driving is a luxury. If you live anywhere else on the North American continent, LEARN TO DRIVE YOU SELFISH TWIT! Mommy and daddy aren't going to be your personal taxi forever. And learn to drive WELL while you're at it. There are lots of people on the roads with families to see and work to do. Try not to screw them over.


dark_paradox_21 wrote:

This is exactly what I'm talking about. What sense of entitlement are they teaching in schools these days? I know I am not exactly a stellar citizen being that I'm a grown man watching anime -- but I paid for my computer with money I earned at my real big-boy job and I picked up the parts in my big boy car that I also paid for with money I made at my big-boy job. How is it that you little brats think its ok to bum rides and ask for handouts all the time? Aren't you humiliated? Aren't you embarrassed?

I lost my job for a while in '08 when the economy crashed. I had to crash on a friend's couch for a while. It was absolutely humiliating -- the lowest point in my life. How can you do that every day with no shame? How can you say, "I'll just bum rides" so nonchalantly? I really don't understand how any sane young person could not crave independence. It blows my freakin mind!

My Grandfather was fighting the Japanese at 17. I was in college at 16. These posts by late teens and early-twenty-somethings truly terrify me. YOU are the reason humanity is screwed. Learn to drive and get a job! Take care of yourselves! You'll feel better about yourselves if you actually DO something to feel good about. Until you physically DO something you are NOT important, you are NOT special and you do NOT matter.

Besides, if you love your family and friends don't you want to help them rather than take all the time?


You do remember you are an adult correct? Posting such insults does nothing to make people want to learn to drive or help those who have a fear of driving. While your posts may or may not have good points in them they are lessened by the way you present them. In the end, at least in my opinion, you just seem like the type of person I have a fear of when it comes to driving. Someone who would blow up over a minor mistake and resort to yelling and shouting and just generally making yourself look like an ass. This may or may not be the case obviously but it is just what comes to mind when I read your posts. I am sure you could get your points across another way and maybe even help people change their minds about driving.
3144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 1/13/13
Rather know it and not need it, then not know it and need it.

/endthread
41659 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Southern Oregon
Offline
Posted 1/13/13
Well if you live somewhere that has good public transportation all your life (and don't plan on visiting places that have little to know public transportation) then I guess you can get away with out learning how to drive. I however live in a small town and the bus system is a joke, so I kind of had to learn how to drive unless I wanted to have my parents shuttle me everywhere. I still think it is a good idea to learn how to drive and get a license even if you don't plan on doing a lot of driving. It's good knowledge to have because you never when the time will come when you will need to know how to drive.
39173 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 1/13/13
Fuck i wish i was forced to learn to drive I'm almost to the point that I'm going to have to pay for a Driving school to teach me to get my license.
Nobody in my household has the balls to teach me.
17122 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 1/13/13

blusasuke wrote:

Fuck i wish i was forced to learn to drive I'm almost to the point that I'm going to have to pay for a Driving school to teach me to get my license.
Nobody in my household has the balls to teach me.


I'll teach you bro
15025 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / New York City
Offline
Posted 1/13/13
convenient, if you ever search for a job some might ask for you to have a license and a good driving record.
49152 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 1/13/13

justanotherguy_2005 wrote:


dark_paradox_21 wrote:

In the US, learning to drive is a necessity. When you were little, you probably didn't want to learn to wipe your own butt either. Why wipe yourself and get your hands dirty when you can yell for mommy or daddy? Driving is the same thing except that driving can be enjoyable.

Guess what - in the real world you'll probably have to get somewhere at some time. Unless you have plenty of money for taxis or private drivers, learning to drive is a necessity. If you live in a major metropolitan area with a great mass transit system driving is a luxury. If you live anywhere else on the North American continent, LEARN TO DRIVE YOU SELFISH TWIT! Mommy and daddy aren't going to be your personal taxi forever. And learn to drive WELL while you're at it. There are lots of people on the roads with families to see and work to do. Try not to screw them over.


dark_paradox_21 wrote:

This is exactly what I'm talking about. What sense of entitlement are they teaching in schools these days? I know I am not exactly a stellar citizen being that I'm a grown man watching anime -- but I paid for my computer with money I earned at my real big-boy job and I picked up the parts in my big boy car that I also paid for with money I made at my big-boy job. How is it that you little brats think its ok to bum rides and ask for handouts all the time? Aren't you humiliated? Aren't you embarrassed?

I lost my job for a while in '08 when the economy crashed. I had to crash on a friend's couch for a while. It was absolutely humiliating -- the lowest point in my life. How can you do that every day with no shame? How can you say, "I'll just bum rides" so nonchalantly? I really don't understand how any sane young person could not crave independence. It blows my freakin mind!

My Grandfather was fighting the Japanese at 17. I was in college at 16. These posts by late teens and early-twenty-somethings truly terrify me. YOU are the reason humanity is screwed. Learn to drive and get a job! Take care of yourselves! You'll feel better about yourselves if you actually DO something to feel good about. Until you physically DO something you are NOT important, you are NOT special and you do NOT matter.

Besides, if you love your family and friends don't you want to help them rather than take all the time?


You do remember you are an adult correct? Posting such insults does nothing to make people want to learn to drive or help those who have a fear of driving. While your posts may or may not have good points in them they are lessened by the way you present them. In the end, at least in my opinion, you just seem like the type of person I have a fear of when it comes to driving. Someone who would blow up over a minor mistake and resort to yelling and shouting and just generally making yourself look like an ass. This may or may not be the case obviously but it is just what comes to mind when I read your posts. I am sure you could get your points across another way and maybe even help people change their minds about driving.


There are such things as childish adults. Perhaps he's one of them - resulting to insults to get his points across.

27559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Toledo
Offline
Posted 1/13/13 , edited 1/13/13


Yeah I know. It's just disappointing to see it.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.