First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Being forced to drive, is that okay? What are your opinions?
23241 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Orlando, FL
Offline
Posted 1/13/13
Right now I'm 20 and haven't gotten my drivers license. I've already passed the Learners Permitt test, but I really have no desire to drive. I've had a lot of bad experiences in cars, so the idea of driving scares the crap out of me. But now I'm married, and my husband is going to the Navy. He won't be able to drive me wherever I want.

So, I know I won't drive unless COMPLETELY NECESSARY, but I will have to learn at some point this year. **sigh**
50287 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 1/13/13 , edited 1/13/13

justanotherguy_2005 wrote:



Yeah I know. It's just disappointing to see it.


I agree. Hopefully he'll find another way as you said, or at the very least see the error of his actions and correct them. If not, oh well.


AdelaMorales93 wrote:

Right now I'm 20 and haven't gotten my drivers license. I've already passed the Learners Permitt test, but I really have no desire to drive. I've had a lot of bad experiences in cars, so the idea of driving scares the crap out of me. But now I'm married, and my husband is going to the Navy. He won't be able to drive me wherever I want.

So, I know I won't drive unless COMPLETELY NECESSARY, but I will have to learn at some point this year. **sigh**


Marriage? At 20 years old, isn't that a little too soon? Well, I shouldn't judge, it's not a nice thing to do. Did any difficulties arise from getting married so young or did everything go smoothly? About driving, it's not as bad as you think. Once you learn the basics everything else is easy, get comfortable with the car, and it's smooth sailing from there. Heh, I shouldn't be talking, I don't even have a Learner's Permit yet. I can't get one anyway even if I wanted to at the moment. Also, experiences are what build you up in life, whether they be bad or good.

23241 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Orlando, FL
Offline
Posted 1/13/13
Kinda confussed how not knowing how to drive is supposed to correlate to not having a job. I've had a job as a Leasing Agent since my junior year of high school, and I am still no closer to knowing how to drive. I seem to be doing no harm to this economy.
Posted 1/13/13

BeyondAnyTherapy wrote:

Rather know it and not need it, then not know it and need it.


What he said.
23241 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Orlando, FL
Offline
Posted 1/13/13

AdelaMorales93 wrote:

Right now I'm 20 and haven't gotten my drivers license. I've already passed the Learners Permitt test, but I really have no desire to drive. I've had a lot of bad experiences in cars, so the idea of driving scares the crap out of me. But now I'm married, and my husband is going to the Navy. He won't be able to drive me wherever I want.

So, I know I won't drive unless COMPLETELY NECESSARY, but I will have to learn at some point this year. **sigh**


Marriage? At 20 years old, isn't that a little too soon? Well, I shouldn't judge, it's not a nice thing to do. Did any difficulties arise from getting married so young or did everything go smoothly? About driving, it's not as bad as you think. Once you learn the basics everything else is easy, get comfortable with the car, and it's smooth sailing from there. Heh, I shouldn't be talking, I don't even have a Learner's Permit yet. I can't get one anyway even if I wanted to at the moment. Also, experiences are what build you up in life, whether they be bad or good.



No real problems getting married at my age. Pretty much after a year of dating I considered him being the person I'd want to marry. So once we'd been dating 4 years we decided to finally get married after living together 2 years.
50287 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 1/13/13 , edited 1/13/13

AdelaMorales93 wrote:

No real problems getting married at my age. Pretty much after a year of dating I considered him being the person I'd want to marry. So once we'd been dating 4 years we decided to finally get married after living together 2 years.


That's nice, hope everything works out.
23241 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Orlando, FL
Offline
Posted 1/13/13

Shrapnel893 wrote:


AdelaMorales93 wrote:

No real problems getting married at my age. Pretty much after a year of dating I considered him being the person I'd want to marry. So once we'd been dating 4 years we decided to finally get married after living together 2 years.


That's nice, hope everything works out.



Thank you.

50513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 1/13/13
I know adults who don't drive but they live in New York City, I didn't get my license until I was 19 and my friend too. I have a license so I can drive which is always good but I don't. I am actually better at driving than most people I get into a car with.

Its better to be able to do something even if you don't want it or think you will use it.


JayVeeDees wrote:

I am not sure if I will get me a drivers license, just because *The worlds supply of oil is running out;)* Or I just don't want to pay for the gas <.<


If your serious about gas running out it wont happen in your lifetime. Not even the easily accesible stuff...

As for using gas...walking is better for you and the environment so no arguement there. $20 of gas gets you nothing anyway...
18025 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Singapore / CT / ATL
Offline
Posted 1/13/13
Well... "The Times They Are a-Changin"

When I was a teen I COULDN'T WAIT to drive! Getting your license back then was a rite of passage. It was a privilege and we begged our parents to drive before we could legally, even if it was just to the corner store and back.

I got my learners permit at 15 and as soon as turned 16 I marched down to the DMV and got my license.

As I held my license in my hand for the first time, I felt like I was finally stepping in the world of adults. With the license came great power and great responsibility. For example, I had to chauffeur my little sister to all her activities and events, but I didn't care! I could drive. I was free! I could go anywhere! anytime! It was Very Very liberating.

These days, in these times, well .... "The Times They Are a-Changin" I guess teens can feel the same sense of freedom through a different medium... The internet.

I think the same rites of passages that my generation had are now ancient, archaic, old fashion and outdated.

Do teens feel the same way now when they are given a smart phone for the first time?
50287 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 1/13/13 , edited 1/13/13

crunchywiz wrote:

Do teens feel the same way now when they are given a smart phone for the first time?


Probably. I've seen 8 year olds with their own Tablets, not to mention cell phones. It makes me wonder sometimes. For me, personally, I don't care about owning a cell phone - let alone a smart phone - as most teenagers do. I've seen kids go through at least 3 phones a month because they break them or something or other. I've given my younger brother a phone our grandparents bought me for Christmas because the one he received he managed to drop in the toilet, or on the ground, or in a bowl of soup. It's happened twice. That and I didn't have an interest in owning a phone at the time so I'd just give them to him. For money. I do now have an interest, though only for the purpose of convenience and I only use it to call people, I dislike texting.
28133 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Toledo
Offline
Posted 1/13/13 , edited 1/13/13

Shrapnel893 wrote:


crunchywiz wrote:

Do teens feel the same way now when they are given a smart phone for the first time?


Probably. I've seen 8 year olds with their own Tablets, not to mention cell phones. It makes me wonder sometimes. For me, personally, I don't care about owning a cell phone - let alone a smart phone - as most teenagers do. I've seen kids go through at least 3 phones a month because they break them or something or other.


Same here when it comes to a cell phone. I don't think there really are any huge milestones for kids these days with the way parents are. Driving doesn't interest everyone and kids can get phones way younger than they should be for such things. Even drinking isn't that big of a deal anymore with more and more parents trying to be cool and giving their kids alcohol or throwing parties that have it for them. By the time they are drinking age instead of it being "Yeah now I can go drink!" it's "Now I can drink legally!....so it will be a normal weekend".
50287 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 1/13/13

justanotherguy_2005 wrote:


Shrapnel893 wrote:


crunchywiz wrote:

Do teens feel the same way now when they are given a smart phone for the first time?


Probably. I've seen 8 year olds with their own Tablets, not to mention cell phones. It makes me wonder sometimes. For me, personally, I don't care about owning a cell phone - let alone a smart phone - as most teenagers do. I've seen kids go through at least 3 phones a month because they break them or something or other.


Same here when it comes to a cell phone. I don't think there really are any huge milestones for kids these days with the way parents are. Driving doesn't interest everyone and kids can get phones way younger than they should be for such things. Even drinking isn't that big of a deal anymore with more and more parents trying to be cool and giving their kids alcohol or throwing parties that have it for them. By the time they are drinking age instead of it being "Yeah now I can go drink!" it's "Now I can drink legally!....so it will be a normal weekend".


It's just the way it is now, I guess.
27587 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Tórshavn
Offline
Posted 1/14/13

Assassinx89 wrote:

If your serious about gas running out it wont happen in your lifetime. Not even the easily accesible stuff...

As for using gas...walking is better for you and the environment so no arguement there. $20 of gas gets you nothing anyway...


Hehe, meant it as a joke
2063 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Cali
Offline
Posted 1/14/13
I dont mind having to drive. My work commute is more than 60miles each day.

For those who dont want to drive, or dont prefer to have a car or what not, more power to you.
44747 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / So Cal
Offline
Posted 1/14/13
Forced to drive? Yeah, I hate it when people duck tape my hands to the steering wheel and pedals, then shock my muscles into contracting, forcing me to drive.

But I don't mind so much when I'm coerced into driving, cause I can always tell myself it's better than being forced...
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.