Decorating my room.
42186 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/14/13
I'm really interesting in starting an Anime/Manga/Poster/Figure etc collection, so I was wondering if anyone knows any good places to buy shelves and other essentials for an Otaku room. What would be a good shelve to have? It has to have a lot of shelves like the media shelves and Manga should fit perfectly. Where could I get them, like what kind of stores Target? Home Depot? I also huge dust problems in my room. Even If I try to keep it clean, it seems to keep on piling up. Is there anything I can do or buy to fix this problem? Also, are there any good places where I can buy anime merchandise, and how am I supposed to properly display it all? Need suggestions please! Thanks!
28241 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Orlando, FL
Offline
Posted 1/14/13
No matter where you get your shelving/displays, just make sure they are simple and sturdy. If it's too busy, it takes away from your collection. If it's flimsy, your hundreds of dollars in merch will end up falling over one day. If you're having a problem with dust, maybe you're in need of something like a curio. The glass will keep out all that pesky dust. The more price savvy move would just be to buy a swifer and keep it on hand. It's gentle on figures since it's light and has no chemicals. Displaying is really up to you. Some people group their merch by category. Figures with figures. DVDs with DVDs. Or you can group your stuff by the show it comes from. As long as you like the way it looks, it'll work out.
32448 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/14/13
Your age isn't listed but I'm going to assume your a teen living at your parent's house. If that's the case I'll also assume you don't want to spend a lot of money on high quality furniture ($500-$1500 a piece). So go to ikea. Their stuff is only ok but it's cheap and will serve your purpose. Also there isn't a good place to buy anime anymore because it's all streaming now. However the best places are amazon and Roberts anime corner store.

If your an adult then I suggest you don't put any otaku stuff on display. Keep you bedroom clean and minimalist. It shows your mature and classy which the ladies will love. I know this for a fact.
31009 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Tórshavn
Offline
Posted 1/14/13 , edited 1/14/13
Yeah, does anyone know where I can buy Anime posters? I have looked many places, but there are no sites that have really that many posters of anime's :L (Okay I know you can find many on Amazon, but it's hard to categorize there *find what you want to find*)

And about shelves, well, that's probably easy to get, just go to a local store that sells furniture or table's <.<! And it should be somewhere in there. Unless you want some kind of specific shelve, which is anime focused (Has anime stuff all over it)
16267 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway, Oslo
Offline
Posted 1/14/13

JayVeeDees wrote:

Yeah, does anyone know where I can buy Anime posters? I have looked many places, but there are no sites that have really that many posters of anime's :L (Okay I know you can find many on Amazon, but it's hard to categorize there *find what you want to find*)

And about shelves, well, that's probably easy to get, just go to a local store that sells furniture or table's <.<! And it should be somewhere in there. Unless you want some kind of specific shelve, which is anime focused (Has anime stuff all over it)


Far as i know there are close to zero anime shops outside of Japan. Try look around on the web. Im guessing there are japanese sites shipping them all over the world.
42186 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/14/13
Thank you. It seems like simple is best. Economic is my only option too.
Dragon
58373 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Online
Posted 1/14/13

Kikusui10 wrote:


JayVeeDees wrote:

Yeah, does anyone know where I can buy Anime posters? I have looked many places, but there are no sites that have really that many posters of anime's :L (Okay I know you can find many on Amazon, but it's hard to categorize there *find what you want to find*)

And about shelves, well, that's probably easy to get, just go to a local store that sells furniture or table's <.<! And it should be somewhere in there. Unless you want some kind of specific shelve, which is anime focused (Has anime stuff all over it)


Far as i know there are close to zero anime shops outside of Japan. Try look around on the web. Im guessing there are japanese sites shipping them all over the world.


Are you kidding? There are tons! Many of them in larger cities, of course, but you can also find tons of wallscrolls and posters at comic shops, movie stores, and so on if those are what you can get to.

Conventions are also great for finding stuff, if you have one nearby. If you can find a vendor to talk with while there, they might be able to suggest where to find an item you'd be interested in, or mention something you haven't thought of yet.

(Also, personally I'd aim for wallscrolls whenever possible. They transport better and are easy to hang/clean. A bit more expensive, however)
16267 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway, Oslo
Offline
Posted 1/14/13

MakotoKamui wrote:


Kikusui10 wrote:


JayVeeDees wrote:

Yeah, does anyone know where I can buy Anime posters? I have looked many places, but there are no sites that have really that many posters of anime's :L (Okay I know you can find many on Amazon, but it's hard to categorize there *find what you want to find*)

And about shelves, well, that's probably easy to get, just go to a local store that sells furniture or table's <.<! And it should be somewhere in there. Unless you want some kind of specific shelve, which is anime focused (Has anime stuff all over it)


Far as i know there are close to zero anime shops outside of Japan. Try look around on the web. Im guessing there are japanese sites shipping them all over the world.


Are you kidding? There are tons! Many of them in larger cities, of course, but you can also find tons of wallscrolls and posters at comic shops, movie stores, and so on if those are what you can get to.

Conventions are also great for finding stuff, if you have one nearby. If you can find a vendor to talk with while there, they might be able to suggest where to find an item you'd be interested in, or mention something you haven't thought of yet.

(Also, personally I'd aim for wallscrolls whenever possible. They transport better and are easy to hang/clean. A bit more expensive, however)


Yes but isnt there like a really low quanitity there? Ive seen some in stores, but its usually just the most known animes(Naruto,Bleach,One piece) He was looking for something with a great collection of wallpapers.
Dragon
58373 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Online
Posted 1/14/13

Kikusui10 wrote:

Yes but isnt there like a really low quanitity there? Ive seen some in stores, but its usually just the most known animes(Naruto,Bleach,One piece) He was looking for something with a great collection of wallpapers.


Hm, good point, I'm speaking from a US perspective, things may be very different where you and the OP are at (I have a few anime-specific stores within a short drive, and I had even more within walking distance when I was living in LA, for example). While the 'normal' stores do focus on the more popular anime, they often do have some unusual stuff as well, and if you talk with the employees, they might help you out.

Then again, even cons focus on the more popular anime, since they're more likely to sell. Finding what one wants to find is tough even there, sadly.
Sailor Candy Moderator
200577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 1/14/13
This is a personal thread which is not allowed.

Please continue here on this thread:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-1099/the-general-helpadvice-thread
Thread locked
You must be logged in to post.