First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Hiking, mountaineering and rockclimbing
432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/15/13

Blurr25 wrote:

These were taken in my home State of Washington so just south of the border from you
My family is originally from Canada so I've always wanted to go there, it's such a beautiful Country! Always wanted to go to Banff, AB.
Your picture is beautiful, I'll have to add it to my destinations list!


Nice! Well you're more like "just to the South and wayyyyy West from me" at this point (now living in Quebec and all...) but yea I want to return to the Rockies one day, and actually visit now that I'm old enough to remember! I also want to see the giant redwood forests. Gaspesie is wayy at the Eastern tip of Quebec, so you'd have a pretty epic cross-continent trip if you added it to your destinations list (though I'm guessing that wouldn't be too much of a big deal, seeing as how you're planning to go all the way to Europe and all! ). But yea, it was a really beautiful couple of weeks there... perfect blend of ocean and mountain, and we saw lots of wildlife (sea birds, whales, seals, caribou, a black bear...) Definitely a trip to remember.
39902 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 1/15/13
@Sprelle
Glad to see a fan who likes outdoor activity. I've never done hiking myself, but gone to camping and fishing as kid. My main outdoor activity is bicycle riding, so I want to try it. Personally I want to do hiking with friends, if I can match their busy schedule. Oh wait.. You just gave me inspiration to take a hike at Presidio park trail. Thanks!!

@haikinka
Are you one of those people who go out of breath while playing with video game joystick? Can't walk 2 blocks without Segway?
5202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Eastern Washington
Offline
Posted 1/15/13
I need to go on a East Coast trip since I've already tackled the West, why not Quebec? I actually already have a trip lined out for this summer to go backpacking in The Redwood National Forest in California, I'm super excited! I went backpacking with my brother 3 years ago on the Tillamook Trail on the Oregon coast and it was one of the most beautiful places I'd ever been. I'd never seen the ocean before that and I got the whole experience with the sea lions, sea birds and whales like you were saying. It was purely amazing!
432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/15/13

Blurr25 wrote:

I need to go on a East Coast trip since I've already tackled the West, why not Quebec? I actually already have a trip lined out for this summer to go backpacking in The Redwood National Forest in California, I'm super excited! I went backpacking with my brother 3 years ago on the Tillamook Trail on the Oregon coast and it was one of the most beautiful places I'd ever been. I'd never seen the ocean before that and I got the whole experience with the sea lions, sea birds and whales like you were saying. It was purely amazing!


So jealous!! I'm the other way around... I've been sampling the East for most of my life, time to go West one day!
33667 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / on your lap, purring
Offline
Posted 1/15/13
Make sure you take a giant cardboard cut out of Holo on your journeys. Oh and take lots of pictures.
OpenA4 
10140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 1/15/13
i do enjoy climbing the local mountains. Well, what i do is go and listen to the elk and such. Yesterday, i took my horse up and treked around lookin for elk. bah i love the mountains
6118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 1/15/13

Blurr25 wrote:

Yaaaaaaaaaayyyyy!!! You have no idea how awesome it is to meet a fellow backpacker!...It's kind of my thing I have a goal to go backpacking in Europe this year and I'll be damned if I don't follow through on it. Let me share some clips from my adventures!


I wish you good luck at your backpack project, make sure you visit Norway!

I've had a good read, so many contributions. I feel patriotic and i really want to place Norway far above everything else in the world, but i gotta say your pictures make a solid 2nd place, if i ever go to the US for a extended period i really want to see those places(most likely, i got some family in the US)


yuma1234 wrote:

@Sprelle
Glad to see a fan who likes outdoor activity. I've never done hiking myself, but gone to camping and fishing as kid. My main outdoor activity is bicycle riding, so I want to try it. Personally I want to do hiking with friends, if I can match their busy schedule. Oh wait.. You just gave me inspiration to take a hike at Presidio park trail. Thanks!!



As i've said, i haven't really tried bicycling more than one time, i am glad i inspired your Presidio park trail, and ill thank you, as i've scheduled a bike ride over hardangervidda, at summer time; right before i get enlisted to the military. I am happy that i am going in the army and not the navy. As ill still have hikes; just a bit more heavy. ^^




meygaera wrote:

Make sure you take a giant cardboard cut out of Holo on your journeys. Oh and take lots of pictures.


Hah, i am not sure if i will do that, maybe bringing the manga if i need to kill time perhaps.




OpenA4 wrote:

i do enjoy climbing the local mountains. Well, what i do is go and listen to the elk and such. Yesterday, i took my horse up and treked around lookin for elk. bah i love the mountains


Horse? Having a horse as your companion on a hike would be a unique experience, i really envy that.

Tomorrow, hopefully; ill upload some images.

OpenA4 
10140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 1/15/13

well i usually use my horse for work, come spring ill be back up in the mountains but looking for cattle
75824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
66 / M / Columbia, MO
Offline
Posted 1/15/13
Been all over the US and western Canada hiking, exploring and camping over the years when time and money permitted. You've chosen a great hobby. Don't ever lose that zeal to explore (and I'm sure you know that). The only change I have noticed about exploring is that as I age I start to become concerned about my well-being. I've had 3 near death experiences hiking solo (knew the risk, weighed the possible outcomes, went anyway) but I committed these crazy notions when I was younger and single. Take advantage of your youth. As you age certain actions taken for granted become alternatives rather than givens. Good luck, Sprelle!
12268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / In fields searchi...
Offline
Posted 1/15/13
I never get to do mountain climbing as much outside where I lived at -.- . Sadly xD I can't live the USA (nothing bad, just I don't have my car yet o.o). Anyways, the mountain I always go to a a kid was Stone Mountain. Located in Georgia . xD Man I missed those days. Back then they let you climbed the actually mountain without any problems what so ever.



But there was a cart that was able to let you ride up top mountain and let you view on top the mountain. We called the Sky lift!



But at the very end, they used to do Independence Day fireworks spectacular! Around the mountain.
I missed those days :)
10931 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / England
Offline
Posted 1/15/13
I climed Mount Snowdon in Wales, it was so much fun. I love hiking and camping with my dad too. I'm hoping to be able to go kayaking soon
138763 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/15/13
havent done any hiking but i snowboard every winter on a mountain
Posted 1/15/13

Sprelle wrote:

Hi, i am quite new to the forums and i've tried to search up threads that fall within my interests. Seems no threads are about hiking, and i feel honored to present my passion and discuss.

I've been hiking for years, mostly because i was born into it; but i've always found mountains and the outdoors a perfect place to use my senses; smell, sight are examples. The real sense experience is how you feel, you feel the cold wind after and during a long hike, or taking your moist and warm march boots off to get in the sleeping bag under the clear sky or inside a tent.

In Norway, hiking is rather popular and everyone is entitled to the nature we got, as long as you treat it with respect. Some go on one-day hikes, and some take the liberty to be with nature for a few days or weeks.


Røddalen, Bones(salangsdalen), 800 moh aprox.
Might share more pictures later


Anyways, share your experiences or ask questions about gear or places, anything.




This sounds pretty epic but all that's around where I live are a whole lot of woods. No majestic mountains or anything. :/ So yeah I watch a little animal planet every now and then to get my nature fix.
6118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 1/16/13 , edited 1/16/13

bemused_Bohemian wrote:

Been all over the US and western Canada hiking, exploring and camping over the years when time and money permitted. You've chosen a great hobby. Don't ever lose that zeal to explore (and I'm sure you know that). The only change I have noticed about exploring is that as I age I start to become concerned about my well-being. I've had 3 near death experiences hiking solo (knew the risk, weighed the possible outcomes, went anyway) but I committed these crazy notions when I was younger and single. Take advantage of your youth. As you age certain actions taken for granted become alternatives rather than givens. Good luck, Sprelle!


I can't give any promises, as age changes you, you get other priorities and such. Its good to be concerned, better safe than sorry. I've had one dramatic experience, that could end in death.

Me and a friend were out hiking, it was a valley up in the mountains, kinda hard to explain; but the point is that in the middle of the valley its a huge lake. You can go around on two sides, but on the right side its a huge unpredictable glacier, and we knew thats the most dangerous way and if something happened there, you would have no chance to get out of the ice cold water. We picked the left side, a steep hillside made out of pure rocks, just a straight slab of rock. like this \ The thing is that the slab is easy to traverse, but takes some time, since its laaaarge. Half way in, it starts to rain and we don't really care about that.

Suddenly i'm half way down into the lake, grasping after ledges and stuff to hold, as the rain makes the rock super slippery, just before i fall down 15 meters into the lake, my clothes create enough friction to hold on. I was in a totally different state of mind, it was pure instincts, i had super high pulse.

I could die there, no joke. Either die from the fall or be paralyzed and freeze to death in the glacier cold water, and if you didn't get paralyzed; you had to swim quite a distance to get to land. And you couldn't even swim in straight line to land, as there was floating ice debris by the size of busses in your way. And there was no possibility to call or contact civilization either, no mobile coverage so far in.

My friend was safe on a ledge, watching, not able to do anything. I climb up a bit on my stomach and i find a place to stand up, but i feel that i can't walk at all, it's too slippery. The rain wouldn't stop and it will take hours before everything dries up, and the only solution to get over the stone area was to take of our shoes, as our feet had decent grip in comparison.







UnknownPerson00 wrote:

I never get to do mountain climbing as much outside where I lived at -.- . Sadly xD I can't live the USA (nothing bad, just I don't have my car yet o.o). Anyways, the mountain I always go to a a kid was Stone Mountain. Located in Georgia . xD Man I missed those days. Back then they let you climbed the actually mountain without any problems what so ever.



Checklist:
Get car ( I use public transport as train, airplane, buss )
Travel to mountain areas or what you prefer
Climb/hike to the top
Have a delicious meal on the top, enjoy the view, air and temperature.
Drive home or continue travel to next area

^^




Punk29 wrote:

I climed Mount Snowdon in Wales, it was so much fun. I love hiking and camping with my dad too. I'm hoping to be able to go kayaking soon :D


Kayaking is fun, especially in lakes with small islands, you can travel from island to island, eventually spending one night on each. I love to fish on these kinds of trips, and swim if the water is warm.




Mew_Chan01 wrote:

havent done any hiking but i snowboard every winter on a mountain


I am also snowboarding a lot, 80% of my snowboarding is in normal slopes with elevators. But i also use my mountain skis (cross country skis with metal edges and more reinforced) and make my way to the top, put them back on my back and use my snowboard in the perfect snow, off piste. ( I never do this unless the snow is perfect ^^, i love new and soft snow(pudder on norwegian))



chase6565 wrote:


Sprelle wrote:

Hi, i am quite new to the forums and i've tried to search up threads that fall within my interests. Seems no threads are about hiking, and i feel honored to present my passion and discuss.

I've been hiking for years, mostly because i was born into it; but i've always found mountains and the outdoors a perfect place to use my senses; smell, sight are examples. The real sense experience is how you feel, you feel the cold wind after and during a long hike, or taking your moist and warm march boots off to get in the sleeping bag under the clear sky or inside a tent.

In Norway, hiking is rather popular and everyone is entitled to the nature we got, as long as you treat it with respect. Some go on one-day hikes, and some take the liberty to be with nature for a few days or weeks.

Anyways, share your experiences or ask questions about gear or places, anything.




This sounds pretty epic but all that's around where I live are a whole lot of woods. No majestic mountains or anything. :/ So yeah I watch a little animal planet every now and then to get my nature fix.


You do not need majestic mountains to have a hike, and i live in the capital, school and stuff makes it hard for me to visit the majestic mountains, except for holidays. In Oslo i just take a hike in the "ordinary" forest in weekends and such, but its still something i like.

Last year i had much more time, i was on a school dedicated to mountain climbers and ice climbers, but i couldn't afford more than one year as i had to pay for a apartment to live there.

12268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / In fields searchi...
Offline
Posted 1/16/13
Dude?! D=< Ever heard of putting this in the spoiler?! I mean.. all that don't wanted needed to be seen or don't be needed to be read by other people?! Like come on man?!

On topic:

1.Uhh... what? o__0 I particularly getting a car soon, So what you know about meh life? Are you stalking?

2. I planning get that a rest soon, after all I got major goals to accomplished.

3. I used to do both. I giving that a rest. For now.

4. Naw... what you thinking?! >.> You expect me to died without any food?! Besides I'm still healthy and eating nutritions to get my body back in shape. Since I'm doing karate.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.