Post Reply Stolen Artwork being sold in comic shops and conventions
1111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Sacramento, Calif...
Offline
Posted 1/15/13
Stolen artwork being used on play mats. Sold at multiple comic shops and vendor booths at conventions.

Vendors are told they have permission from the artists which may be true for a few that were questioned, but the majority did not know their art was used.
If you see these mats being sold, kindly remind your comic shop that they are not only bootlegs and unofficial but most of the art is stolen. Meaning the actual artists don't see a cent.

http://yuumei.deviantart.com/journal/Stolen-art-sold-at-conventions-348682251
806 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Charleston, SC
Offline
Posted 1/15/13
This is why I recommended a thread be closed just the other day. It was a thread about character creation ideas etc. But it's dangerous to post artwork, and story ideas because people will snatch up your work.
52450 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F
Offline
Posted 4/27/13
That's why you're supposed to stamp and watermark everything you make that you don't want "shared" indiscriminately.
27250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/30/13
So scary! a friend of mine sold a sketchbook of art, only to see it next year at the table owned by the very same people who bought it, cept selling for a higher price. Be careful people!
2085 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Dallas, TX
Offline
Posted 5/12/13
I'm going to A-Kon soon so I'll keep an eye out for things like this.
13204 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 5/19/13

Aiervon wrote:

I'm going to A-Kon soon so I'll keep an eye out for things like this.


Same here, I shall pay attention to this

26906 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / California
Offline
Posted 5/22/13
Same here
2556 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Huntington Beach,...
Online
Posted 6/2/13

kcanopener wrote:

That's why you're supposed to stamp and watermark everything you make that you don't want "shared" indiscriminately.





TLtheArtist wrote:


Aiervon wrote:

I'm going to A-Kon soon so I'll keep an eye out for things like this.


Same here, I shall pay attention to this



I remember seeing these artist and they do actually watermark them. However photoshop can remove these watermarks so it doesnt really matter. This sort of thing pisses me off as these artworks do take a lot of hardwork and experience. The best you really can do is raise awareness and hope the convention that is hosting this sort of thing does not support theft.
52450 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F
Offline
Posted 6/19/13

khanhcpham wrote:

I remember seeing these artist and they do actually watermark them. However photoshop can remove these watermarks so it doesnt really matter. This sort of thing pisses me off as these artworks do take a lot of hardwork and experience. The best you really can do is raise awareness and hope the convention that is hosting this sort of thing does not support theft.


If they're easy to remove then you're doing it wrong. My watermarks would generally require the person to redraw most if not all of the image. I also incorporate my artist stamp into the picture itself some times. Most people aren't willing to put that kind of time and effort into stealing works.
20 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F
Offline
Posted 7/13/13
its sad that people would steal somone else's work shame on them for doing it
12631 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 8/3/13
The unfortunate part of the ease of access the internet gives us is that while it does give new artists a way to show off their creations and receive feedback things like this are always a possibility. I definitely would never condone such actions but I am also not sure how to ever really safeguard one's work from them either. Once it's up online it's virtually impossible to truly safeguard it.
You must be logged in to post.