First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Trolling for guest passes
36250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 1/18/13
Yeah, I get e-mailed every once in while. Usually they're pretty polite when they ask, so I don't really mind typing in a few letters or numbers. Every once in a while though, I'll get someone that asks for a pass because they "really need one."

Now, I understand people that ask for a guest pass because they want to watch simulcasts, but not so much that they want to pay for it. It's cool, and obviously CR thinks so too, or they wouldn't give guest passes. In this case, I will oblige them -- they have a hobby, and if they can't do it, then whatever. I'll help them out, and maybe later, they'll start paying. Cool. Someone that tells me they need a pass, however, needs to rethink their life, or else buy a membership. If you can't afford $7, then either you are probably having trouble paying for daily necessities, and should have more important things to worry about than anime, or you're some kid without a job that can't afford to finance an addiction, in which case you should probably tone it down anyway (or get a job). Those are the two most likely scenarios I can see. There may be others, but I'm pretty convinced they're a rarity. At any rate, all I'm saying is that if you "need" to watch the simulcasts, then you should buy a membership. If you can't afford it, then find a way to afford it, or stop needing it.

As I've said, though, if you politely ask then I'll probably give you a pass. I don't mind people that know they're doing the online equivalent of begging for change, because they're not insulting the work I do to afford membership. They know their place. Giving them guest passes makes me feel like the generous Noble that feeds the Peasants from time to time. Giving the others guest passes makes me feel like I'm giving syringes to heroin addicts. I don't like it.
30250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Massachusetts
Offline
Posted 1/18/13

Kikusui10 wrote:

Guest passes are there to give people a taste of what CR is. Shouldnt 1 guest pass be enough to determine if you want to buy premium or not?


One would tend to think so, but greed is to overwhelming for some people. I'm more than willing to pay $7 a month for my Anime membership. The amount of bang for your buck you can get here is amazing and $7 a month isn't that much at all.
44078 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / With Lucina
Offline
Posted 1/18/13

Tarel wrote:

Hello. I'm telling the truth on the internet.


Hmm, sounds legit
25765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / 七十七 / ミシガン
Offline
Posted 1/18/13
I don't get asked for any guess passes. What I usually do is check the Guess Pass Thread, and if I see any "Buddies" of mine on there, I just give it to the 1st of them that asks. I never post any pass codes in the video comments section or any thread since I know if people see the code, they may think to PM/email to ask if I have another one available - it essentially makes you a "target" for guest pass requests.
19584 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 1/18/13 , edited 1/18/13
The guest pass system is stupid and needs to go.

The people who troll random paying members for guest passes are playing the system, and I have no patience for it. I don't pay a monthly fee just so that a bunch of bottom feeding leeches can ride on my coat tails to a supply of free HD quality anime. That's just retarded.

I've gotten random PM's several times so far, and I reported them as spam. I just hope that mods actually do something about them. I believe that they should get their accounts suspended for sending out mass spam mail to paying members.
25765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / 七十七 / ミシガン
Offline
Posted 1/18/13 , edited 1/18/13

Balzack wrote:
I've gotten random PM's several times so far, and I reported them as spam. I just hope that mods actually do something about them. I believe that they should get their accounts suspended for sending out mass spam mail to paying members.

There's a thread about it in the Premium Members forum: http://www.crunchyroll.com/group/CR_Premium_Members/forum#s=/group/CR_Premium_Members/forum%3Fextra_param%3D779626%26page%3D0; perhaps you can make the suggestion there?

Personally, I think there are some things that need to be worked out with these guess passes. Like if something could be implemented so that non-paying members can only receive or use 1 guess pass a month or something.
15575 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 1/18/13

Rito2Ru wrote:


Tarel wrote:

Hello. I'm telling the truth on the internet.


Hmm, sounds legit


Hello, sir or madam. I am a rich Nigerian prince.
49401 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / PA
Offline
Posted 1/18/13

theYchromosome wrote:

Yeah, I get e-mailed every once in while. Usually they're pretty polite when they ask, so I don't really mind typing in a few letters or numbers. Every once in a while though, I'll get someone that asks for a pass because they "really need one."

Now, I understand people that ask for a guest pass because they want to watch simulcasts, but not so much that they want to pay for it. It's cool, and obviously CR thinks so too, or they wouldn't give guest passes. In this case, I will oblige them -- they have a hobby, and if they can't do it, then whatever. I'll help them out, and maybe later, they'll start paying. Cool. Someone that tells me they need a pass, however, needs to rethink their life, or else buy a membership. If you can't afford $7, then either you are probably having trouble paying for daily necessities, and should have more important things to worry about than anime, or you're some kid without a job that can't afford to finance an addiction, in which case you should probably tone it down anyway (or get a job). Those are the two most likely scenarios I can see. There may be others, but I'm pretty convinced they're a rarity. At any rate, all I'm saying is that if you "need" to watch the simulcasts, then you should buy a membership. If you can't afford it, then find a way to afford it, or stop needing it.

As I've said, though, if you politely ask then I'll probably give you a pass. I don't mind people that know they're doing the online equivalent of begging for change, because they're not insulting the work I do to afford membership. They know their place. Giving them guest passes makes me feel like the generous Noble that feeds the Peasants from time to time. Giving the others guest passes makes me feel like I'm giving syringes to heroin addicts. I don't like it.





magicite852 wrote:


Kikusui10 wrote:

Guest passes are there to give people a taste of what CR is. Shouldnt 1 guest pass be enough to determine if you want to buy premium or not?


One would tend to think so, but greed is to overwhelming for some people. I'm more than willing to pay $7 a month for my Anime membership. The amount of bang for your buck you can get here is amazing and $7 a month isn't that much at all.


Well yeah ideally, but I remember being a teenager not having a credit card. Hell, I didn't have much money as a teenager anyway. It makes buying stuff like the CR membership kinda difficult. And there are lots of teenagers on here! I don't blame them for wanting a guest pass to watch the latest episode.

36169 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 1/18/13
Here are some guest passes:

W5S5YBACWKL

W6ZMVA3SFXQ

GBW7H4PJLRE
31362 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Floating by.....s...
Offline
Posted 1/18/13
I have had about 10 or so random people ask me for them but now have about 3 regulars that will ask me. I try and give them to people who dont have th premium membership so they can see how an anime is without commercials on here
31911 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 1/18/13
I don't get any :P.
24151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / East Coast
Offline
Posted 1/18/13

moneygrip3030 wrote:

Like I said, I have no qualms helping out a fellow fan. I just wonder how these random people are requesting passes via e-mail. Tell me what you wanna watch and I'll gladly hook you up. It just seems like cats are trolling to me...


I never gotten any random requests. I have received only one from a person that I gave to before because I liked his comment.But now I have a couple of friends I give them to and they are still in school and dont expect them to have a job.

Also I think they should be reported to CR staff I consider that abuse if its random.I mean if you or them commented on a post / comment a few times maybe OK.
62799 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Where the heart is
Offline
Posted 1/18/13 , edited 1/18/13
I got spammed for one just a couple of hours ago. It's very annoying when you know what's in your inbox before you look.
36250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 1/18/13 , edited 1/18/13

SumeragiSakura wrote:



Well yeah ideally, but I remember being a teenager not having a credit card. Hell, I didn't have much money as a teenager anyway. It makes buying stuff like the CR membership kinda difficult. And there are lots of teenagers on here! I don't blame them for wanting a guest pass to watch the latest episode.



Like I said, I don't mind giving people guest passes if they ask nicely, and realize their position. I don't mind when kids realize that they are kids, and are just asking for someone to gift something to them. It's normal to pay for kids to do stuff they want, and I get that. However, I dislike it when kids expect nice things, or think that they deserve to have something simply because they want it. Kids that ask me for a guest pass because they "need" it get on my nerves, because they are trying to act as though they are somehow entitled to it. I too, remember what it was like to not have a job or money, but I also remember asking politely for things, while understanding that I was not entitled to those things. Although it's not like I was a perfect kid either, and I got shot down too for being a brat -- all kids are at some point. I also remember doing odd jobs for people to earn some pocket change after getting shot down, but I'll leave that out of the main argument for now.

While I'm fine with giving guest passes, and I do, let's also take a look at things logically. Let's say I decide not to give any guest passes, and everyone else thinks the same way that I do, and also decides not to give any guest passes. What's the end result? The kid must wait 1 week to watch the simulcast, instead of watching it right now. That's right, I'm not actually denying them anything, since you can access everything on this site for free (Barring any territory restrictions, but a guest pass doesn't affect that anyway). I also forgot that you also must put up with commercials.

So what exactly am I saying when I tell a kid I won't give them a guest pass? "You can enjoy shows when they come out after you get a job" To me, this sounds a bit like saying "you can have dessert after eat your vegetables." I even remember being told countless times, "you can see the movie after it's out of theaters," which is almost the exact situation we have here. It's expensive to see something in theaters right when it comes out, and doing so should probably be regarded as a special treat. Likewise, it can get expensive to see shows right as they come out (I think $7 is a way better deal than theaters, but that's irrelevant). At any rate, it's a perfectly reasonable thing to tell a kid that they should work for the things they want. It might be a bit different if I said "no dessert no matter what," but I'm not. They just need to wait a week, and put up with commercials.

It's not difficult at all, and here's the second point -- $7 is not hard to make for even a 10-year-old if they think they "need" something that they can't get otherwise. It really is not that hard to find $7, and even 8-year olds get some sort of pocket change to work with, usually from adults in their life. It's up to them to figure out how to spend it. What's more important, waiting a week to see the same show, or having a kick-ass toy? These are decisions they should learn how to make. Honestly though, it's mostly teenagers and above on here -- people that are fully capable of finding some sort of work. So I disagree with you, I don't think it's difficult at all for someone 15 or older to get $7, and I also think that if they can't or won't get $7, they can just wait a week like a good little boy.

Also, it's semi-irrelevant, but you don't need a credit card to get a membership, you just need a card of some sort. Kids of any age can open a bank account, for which you receive a debit card. A lot of the "kid's cards" are given spending restrictions as well, so they don't go nuts and owe a bunch of money. I think they just need a parent to sign off on it, which is why I said that it's semi-irrelevant -- not all parents are cool with that. But if the parents aren't cool with a kid buying a membership on their own dime, then its probably for reasons other than money, and I plan to respect the parent's wishes in that case. Like I said though, teenagers have a lot of ways to make money if they want the membership badly enough to say that they "need" it. Just to re-iterate though, I do give guest passes when people ask politely and humbly -- I see it as a treat to them, although I'm pretty sure that most everyone that asks pretty much expects to get guest passes anyhow.

TL;DR -- I didn't have much money as a young teenager but nonetheless, buying things like the CR membership is not difficult. I don't blame them for wanting to see the latest episode. I do blame them for not wanting to do anything about it, and begging strangers to pity the terrible situation of having to wait a week to get their anime fix.
10111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/18/13
People message me all the time. I can't get them to stop.


First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.