Censored Anime?
20218 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 1/20/13
After running into censored content several times on this site I was wondering, does anyone know if there is a specific reason why there is so much censoring on this site? I'm new here and honesty I disagree with the entire spirit behind censoring and just seeing it is enough to turn me off of a series. Discuss?
Posted 1/20/13
Because many of the users here are minors and censorship is standard with Japanese television.
Posted 1/20/13
It's because the distribution side censors it, and it doesn't have much to do with CR.
If you want uncensored stuff, get the Bluray.
20218 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 1/20/13
Fair enough, but oftentimes the same anime on netflix (if it is on netflix) can be found in the uncensored version. If anything Netflix is probably considered more of a kid-friendly video service than crunchyroll. Then there is the "you must be 18 to view this anime" warnings. If it is censored then why would they bother with the warnings? (I know that it's pointless to speculate, but I find venting my displeasure over matters of which I have no control to be somewhat cathartic.)
768 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 1/20/13

haikinka wrote:

It's because the distribution side censors it, and it doesn't have much to do with CR.
If you want uncensored stuff, get the Bluray.


Not entirely true, some of CR's anime were censored by them/their user they license some through. For instance Queen's Blade rebellion was like that, yet anywhere else you could view legally on web and in japan uncensored versions of this anime. I think some of it has to do with amount of minors on this site and CRs parent/customer policies or complaints.
Posted 1/20/13

AsuraCryin1980 wrote:

Not entirely true, some of CR's anime were censored by them/their user they license some through. For instance Queen's Blade rebellion was like that, yet anywhere else you could view legally on web and in japan uncensored versions of this anime. I think some of it has to do with amount of minors on this site and CRs parent/customer policies or complaints.


Oh, fair enough. I just had a wild guess at the reason. You sound like you know what you're on about.
768 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 1/20/13

Snorlax_OSU wrote:

After running into censored content several times on this site I was wondering, does anyone know if there is a specific reason why there is so much censoring on this site? I'm new here and honesty I disagree with the entire spirit behind censoring and just seeing it is enough to turn me off of a series. Discuss?


Other free to watch sites have uncensored shows, however some are known to have chances of getting viruses on your pc or illegal downloads. Censoring some of the anime is okay...cause it doesn't hurt the storyline if done correctly i.e. Sekurei. I will admit some series that are only based on fan service and have super bright lights censoring ruin the ability to even watch the show.
768 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 1/20/13

haikinka wrote:


AsuraCryin1980 wrote:

Not entirely true, some of CR's anime were censored by them/their user they license some through. For instance Queen's Blade rebellion was like that, yet anywhere else you could view legally on web and in japan uncensored versions of this anime. I think some of it has to do with amount of minors on this site and CRs parent/customer policies or complaints.


Oh, fair enough. I just had a wild guess at the reason. You sound like you know what you're on about.


Sadly when it comes to Cr censoring stuff you are best to buy dvd/blue rays I agree with that or even watch legally elsewhere...kinda sucks cause it would be better for them to have a setting to view or block mature anime with auto censored show features. =/
20218 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 1/20/13
I was starting to like this site before I discovered the whole censoring thing, and I still think that it's worth the subscription fee but ultimately I feel like censoring the anime available through legal channels only encourages people to break the law. Especially if it's a minor, since they are often less inclined to take anti-piracy laws seriously. I feel like it will ultimately lead people into a bad habit where they assume the content won't be available in the way that they want it legally, so they'll just pirate it by default. Thoughts?
Posted 1/20/13
Censors protect the younger viewers.
768 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 1/20/13

Snorlax_OSU wrote:

I was starting to like this site before I discovered the whole censoring thing, and I still think that it's worth the subscription fee but ultimately I feel like censoring the anime available through legal channels only encourages people to break the law. Especially if it's a minor, since they are often less inclined to take anti-piracy laws seriously. I feel like it will ultimately lead people into a bad habit where they assume the content won't be available in the way that they want it legally, so they'll just pirate it by default. Thoughts?


Majority of titles here are uncensored, it's only a few ecchi animes that are hit with this. And honestly not all seasons of certain said shows are fully censored, but as an adult I can understand why they censor to keep parents who pay bills happy. There are some of us here in 30+ range but if you delve in forums a lare amount are under age of 14-17 ranges.

Far as pirating.... I am highly against as it not only hurts the creators gaining funds from their show to make possible future stories but it also can cause you legal issues which is a double loss. I'd say out of all the anime I have watched from A-Z on here for many years only 2 show titles come to mind that have had blinding censorship and those are cheap in older runs to find on legal dvds.
Sailor Candy Moderator
200577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 1/20/13

Snorlax_OSU wrote:

After running into censored content several times on this site I was wondering, does anyone know if there is a specific reason why there is so much censoring on this site? I'm new here and honesty I disagree with the entire spirit behind censoring and just seeing it is enough to turn me off of a series. Discuss?


See here: http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-769588/censor-and-uncensored
Topic closed
You must be logged in to post.