First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
How do you feel about getting an expensive gift when you generally don't need it?
31880 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / The Shire
Offline
Posted 1/21/13
I always feel so guilty but mine is because I have been treated so badly by some people (granted exes) that I feel like I am worth nothing and don't deserve nice things. Have you ever sat down with your parents and talked to them about this? You don't have to say that you feel guilty about them spending money on something you didn't ask for but you could ask them that for christmas or your birthday do they mind getting you a bookcase so you can proudly display your collection of book.
Gextiv 
50304 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 1/21/13

TheDreamHare wrote:



I guess what I'm trying to ask......how do you people feel about getting expensive gifts that you don't need?


Really, really happy.

Because either it'll go as a hand me down to my little brother, or I will sell it on ebay.

I don't get many gifts though. :(

Just cash.
777 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Denmark
Offline
Posted 1/21/13
Well i would first of all be happy that they did what they did, and afterwards i'd ask them if they really did plan on getting me things ill never use.

But that just related to the ipod and xbox tbh, as i personally dislike the xbox controller, and ipods to me are useless since my phone has space for more music and theres no difference in the sound.

If it was some thing that i didnt know i wanted, that i could make good use of, like maybe something which would make my job easier, maybe a newer better monitor etc i'd appreaciate it alot and be very happy, but i'd really still ask them why they did it, theres really no point as i'd always feel like this was too much, for something i didnt need.

I guess to sum it up : Y U WASTE YOUR MONEH?!
114 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 1/21/13
If that gift is not from my parents or brother, I'd just accept it and say that they didn't have to buy such an expensive gift. As long as they are not doing it to show off (that they can afford costly gifts and are superior therefore), I have no problem with the gift even if I don't need it. If the feelings are honest, I'd be glad to receive the gift even if it's unnecessary. If the feelings behind the gift are not real, it feels more like donation and not gift. I would not reject it because that would be rude, but I would not be very happy even if it's something I want.

If the gift is from my parent or my brother, I'd tell them right then. No beating around the bushes and no sit-down-and-talk. If possible, I'd ask them to return the items as well. That's because I am not reserved at all in front of my family.


Winterfells wrote:

I can understand the frustration, but I guess it'll be hard for you to understand where your parents are coming from until you have your own children. Their life is probably dominated with fear - fear that you aren't getting the best opportunities in life, that you're not getting the luxuries in life other parents are able to give to their children, and the fear that if they don't exert enough control over you going out and such that something bad can happen to you.

Sure, your parents are extreme on one side of the spectrum - giving their child TOO much, and being TOO involved in their child's life. On the other end of the spectrum, they could be depriving their child, and having no presence in their child's life.

All I can say is that you should talk with them.


I am not a parent yet but from my parents' actions, I can say that the red text is spot-on. They aren't particularly strict, but they definitely worry about whether they're doing their best for me.
18204 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 1/21/13
I feel like that person must love me...a lot.
Posted 1/21/13

alniau wrote:



consider it lucky... you must work hard or be very lucky.....cause that kind of stuff don't happen to everyone


I honestly don't feel very lucky.......... xD
6019 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Mauritius Island
Offline
Posted 1/21/13
I'd feel out of place,because it would mean the person offering it doesn't know me well and wants to get my attention instead of making me happy.
Posted 1/21/13

Winterfells wrote:

I can understand the frustration, but I guess it'll be hard for you to understand where your parents are coming from until you have your own children. Their life is probably dominated with fear - fear that you aren't getting the best opportunities in life, that you're not getting the luxuries in life other parents are able to give to their children, and the fear that if they don't exert enough control over you going out and such that something bad can happen to you.

Sure, your parents are extreme on one side of the spectrum - giving their child TOO much, and being TOO involved in their child's life. On the other end of the spectrum, they could be depriving their child, and having no presence in their child's life.

All I can say is that you should talk with them.


I really like your post. I have definitely tried looking at the situation through my parents' perspective, and I agree that its probably experience from their own childhood and the parental instinct to want what's best for their own children. Who doesn't want their kids to have all the opportunity they couldn't have when they were kids? Also, since I am US born, and my parents are from southeast Asia, our level of thinking and communication are very much different. Having been born in a more open-cultured society, I 'm more accepting of change, whereas my parents, who were born in a more closed-cultured society, have difficulty accepting change. They also tend to be more family-oriented. Here in the states, I see it from my friends, whom are all interracial, but once they turned 18, most had left the house, either on good terms or bad. I could probably leave as well, since the law here doesn't have a problem with me moving out, but under my family it is unacceptable..... I should probably discuss with them about my feelings, and then listen to their own. But we are a family that does more submitting than talking, and when the talking is frustrating, we, (mainly them,) use negative physical action. IT doesn't matter what situation it is, we don't really discuss it much. :\

Posted 1/21/13

DetectiveAlex wrote:

If someone holds me in such high regard that they are willing to spend high amounts of money on me, I can't feel bad. Don't confuse this with being spoiled however.


Lol, I won't. xD I personally don't think I'm spoiled, much....but rather, I am just a victim of circumstance. I just happen to get doted on a lot, and I just happen to dislike it. There are many people out there who had to work hard to get what they want, and here I am, feeling bad about it, and wishing I could be like them, just a little.....
Posted 1/21/13
I just play it cool.
Thought I'm just like.
"Oh gosh... I don't deserve this."
Posted 1/21/13

Gextiv wrote:


TheDreamHare wrote:



I guess what I'm trying to ask......how do you people feel about getting expensive gifts that you don't need?


Really, really happy.

Because either it'll go as a hand me down to my little brother, or I will sell it on ebay.

I don't get many gifts though. :(

Just cash.


Cash isn't so bad....although I admit, it'd be nice to get an item instead of dinero, lol.
I just wish it wasn't such an expensive item....I'd rather it be an item in the sense of.....a candle, or something......the bookcase, for me, didn't seem like much. I mean, I even said they're pretty cheap at Wal-mart, which usually sells for 30, in contrast with an ipod, which is way more......
Posted 1/21/13

kawaiinoodle wrote:

I always feel so guilty but mine is because I have been treated so badly by some people (granted exes) that I feel like I am worth nothing and don't deserve nice things. Have you ever sat down with your parents and talked to them about this? You don't have to say that you feel guilty about them spending money on something you didn't ask for but you could ask them that for christmas or your birthday do they mind getting you a bookcase so you can proudly display your collection of book.


That's the problem with my family.....we talk about funny things, and lighthearted things, but when it comes to serious issues, we tend to steer clear. Which sucks, because I feel I have to treat this conversation seriously, or else they're going to ignore everything I say and get something else that I had no idea of. :\
31880 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / The Shire
Offline
Posted 1/21/13 , edited 1/21/13
Hmm.. That is a tricky situation the other option could be to search for a book case online while they are in your presence and if they ask what you're doing to say you're looking into getting a book case as you need one.. Never know dropping hints throughout the year could possibly work.

Also can i add you say that you know you sound spoilt but to me you don't you sound privaleged. A spoilt person would not easily be able to turn around and say things like ''when I have work I will save up for something I want''. IMHO a spoilt person sounds more like ''I want that get me it now''.
Posted 1/21/13

kawaiinoodle wrote:

Hmm.. That is a tricky situation the other option could be to search for a book case online while they are in your presence and if they ask what you're doing to say you're looking into getting a book case as you need one.. Never know dropping hints throughout the year could possibly work.

Also can i add you say that you know you sound spoilt but to me you don't you sound privaleged. A spoilt person would not easily be able to turn around and say things like ''when I have work I will save up for something I want''. IMHO a spoilt person sounds more like ''I want that get me it now''.


Wow.....thank you!! I really appreciate you saying that. ^^
31880 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / The Shire
Offline
Posted 1/22/13
I only speak the truth =^.^=
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.