First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply do these people annoy you?
2106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Guess
Offline
Posted 1/23/13 , edited 1/23/13

BearSol wrote:



You defended ignorance and then you called someone out for their ignorance.


Good job!


You claim that I have defended ignorance- if I were in the business of defending ignorance, I wouldn't have bothered to argue at all with you, seeing as your posts are the most ignorant thing in this thread so far.


But all this by the bye, I do not defend ignorance, I merely stated that spelling correctly and using correct grammar is, in fact, hard, and that there are certain circumstances where a form of shorthand is justified.

That is not to say that people should be completely ignorant, and should make no effort at all at using correct grammar or correct spelling, as these aid in the communication of whatever they want to communicate.

In lieu of an actual argument, however, you decide to go about it in a way that is, unfortunately, typically American:


BearSol wrote:



Blah blah, assumptions and opinions, blah blah.

Fixed


The sheer puerility and immaturity of it is especially striking, and helps perpetuate the myth that Americans are not very intelligent or mature.
16313 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Virginia
Offline
Posted 1/23/13
rofl, you guys are awesome.
2106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Guess
Offline
Posted 1/23/13 , edited 1/23/13

BearSol wrote:

Too long, didn't read. I assume, though, that it comprised mainly of ego stroking and more insults. You must have been bullied a lot in school. So sorry for that, but perhaps someday you can overcome your emotional trauma.


The American education really has failed if you, the product of it, think that two to three sentences is 'too long'.

As to the accusation of ego stroking and insults, you are quite wrong, in that I am one of the most humble and respectful person in the world, indeed, my child, I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to wisdom but through me.
1177 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Nowhere, MI
Offline
Posted 1/23/13 , edited 1/23/13

Chronomana wrote:

Hello everybody, how are you doing today? I just found this thread and I thought it would be very funny to laugh at those Grammar Nazis too.

They are so annoying, like "Oh my god, get a life for real!" I mean, taking all the time to correct someone's mistakes, can you imagine how long that can take sometimes? Some people out there are just terrible with their spelling and grammar; it would take forever to correct all their words. I mean, seriously, go back to school and learn to spell, but Grammar Nazis are just as bad.

Sometimes their corrections are wrong, like, come on! If you're going to correct somebody then at least do it right. However, if we can understand their words, isn't that all that matters?

Your comprehension skills are just as important as their spelling and grammar.


16659 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 1/23/13

karmacide wrote:


Chronomana wrote:

Hello everybody, how are you doing today? I just found this thread and I thought it would be very funny to laugh at those Grammar Natzis too.

They are so annoying, like "Oh my god, get a life for real!" I mean, taking all the time to correct someone's mistakes, can you imagine how long that can take sometimes? Some people out there are just terrible with their spelling and grammar; it would take forever to correct all their words. I mean, seriously, go back to school and learn to spell, but Grammar Natzis are just as bad.

Sometimes their corrections are wrong, like, come on! If you're going to correct somebody then at least do it right. However, if we can understand their words, isn't that all that matters?

Your comprehension skills are just as important as their spelling and grammar.




This is the best wording so far.
1177 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Nowhere, MI
Offline
Posted 1/23/13

longfenglim wrote:


BearSol wrote:

Too long, didn't read. I assume, though, that it comprised mainly of ego stroking and more insults. You must have been bullied a lot in school. So sorry for that, but perhaps someday you can overcome your emotional trauma.


The American education really has failed if you, the product of it, think that two to three sentences is 'too long'.

As to the accusation of ego stroking and insults, you are quite wrong, in that I am one of the most humble and respectful person in the world, indeed, my child, I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to wisdom but through me.


Modest too.
42604 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / So Cal
Offline
Posted 1/23/13

longfenglim wrote:


BearSol wrote:

Too long, didn't read. I assume, though, that it comprised mainly of ego stroking and more insults. You must have been bullied a lot in school. So sorry for that, but perhaps someday you can overcome your emotional trauma.


The American education really has failed if you, the product of it, think that two to three sentences is 'too long'.

As to the accusation of ego stroking and insults, you are quite wrong, in that I am one of the most humble and respectful person in the world, indeed, my child, I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to wisdom but through me.


Four sentences. Apparently your education system is the true failure. You are the wrong way, the lie, and the death(of all that is right in this world); everyone comes to wisdom in spite of you.
3082 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/23/13
That sort of pedantic behavior isn't as annoying as it is funny. I pity the guy who thinks he's a successful troll for correcting spelling mistakes.
17706 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Australia
Offline
Posted 1/23/13
Doesn't bother me a bit, and it sure does bother me when I see "their" used when it should have been "there" or "your" instead of "you're". Friends do it to me, I do it to friends, no one minds.
2106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Guess
Offline
Posted 1/23/13

DetectiveAlex wrote:

That sort of pedantic behavior isn't as annoying as it is funny. I pity the guy who thinks he's a successful troll for correcting spelling mistakes.


Good Grammar and Spelling is a necessary part of communicating, I would not think that someone is a troll to point out that another person made a grammatical error, only that by correcting that person's grammar, he has made it easier for other people to understand whatever point he's trying to get across.
3082 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/23/13

longfenglim wrote:


DetectiveAlex wrote:

That sort of pedantic behavior isn't as annoying as it is funny. I pity the guy who thinks he's a successful troll for correcting spelling mistakes.


Good Grammar and Spelling is a necessary part of communicating, I would not think that someone is a troll to point out that another person made a grammatical error, only that by correcting that person's grammar, he has made it easier for other people to understand whatever point he's trying to get across.


So long as you understand what one is saying without any issue, there shouldn't be a problem.

Ex, you no wat i am trying 2 tell you? y correct mii?

It's pointless so long as you know what one is trying to convey. But I will agree that not everyone correcting someone is a troll.
Posted 1/23/13
it's the internet, you can't little things get to you.

If it "offends" you then maybe you should think twice about posting because
it is still an open forum and while someones opinion may be different from yours
it's still their opinion. Even if their opinion is about how grammar or spelling.
Posted 1/23/13
it irks me a lil but it is their goal to annoy you.
don't give them that satuisfaction.
2106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Guess
Offline
Posted 1/23/13 , edited 1/23/13

DetectiveAlex wrote:


longfenglim wrote:


DetectiveAlex wrote:

That sort of pedantic behavior isn't as annoying as it is funny. I pity the guy who thinks he's a successful troll for correcting spelling mistakes.


Good Grammar and Spelling is a necessary part of communicating, I would not think that someone is a troll to point out that another person made a grammatical error, only that by correcting that person's grammar, he has made it easier for other people to understand whatever point he's trying to get across.


So long as you understand what one is saying without any issue, there shouldn't be a problem.

Ex, you no wat i am trying 2 tell you? y correct mii?

It's pointless so long as you know what one is trying to convey. But I will agree that not everyone correcting someone is a troll.


Rather, I think that your example perfectly illustrate that point- good grammar and good spelling are absolutely indespensable to clear communication.

In addition, people tend to judge the intelligence of the poster not from what he is saying, but from how he says it. Orthographic and grammatical mistakes are usually judged to be indicative of intelligence, other people's esteem of your intellectual abilities is, in fact, proportional to the amount of grammatical or orthographic mistakes you make.


http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/3019/are-poor-spellers-stupid


First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.