First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
It's the parent's fault
17181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 1/24/13
--until you reach 18.

Then what? Ever bad thing you've done when you were young was the fault of your parent for not disciplining you well enough and every thing leading to that point was your parent's fault. But once you hit 18, bing. Right after 12:00am on the day of your birthday. You're an adult now, it's your fault. I hear this phrase "It's the parent's fault" quite often

if bad things happen in the news because of a child's actions (young adult, youth, whatever you want to call it) it's the parent's fault for not controlling them well enough or for instilling bad morals.

I hate to say it, but I think sometimes...it's also the child's fault.

But wait, they are still young, not old enough to make decisions by themselves, but it still doesn't mean they can't. Reversing this idea, it not like once teens become adults, all the bad things they've learned resets and they cherry pick good actions to become better people, not typically anyways. There is a lot to think about here, so I'll just leave it as that.

as always, your thoughts?
13761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Somewhere.... per...
Offline
Posted 1/24/13
It is the child fault...
... That's why they go to jail not their parents when they commit a crime.
38425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Offline
Posted 1/24/13
I think it depends on the circumstances. Usually it is the parents' fault, but there may be some cases where it isn't. If a parent doesn't know how to raise a child, then you should expect the child to cause trouble, regardless of what age the child is. Until the child has a better understanding of why their actions are not in their best interest, you can expect them to continue to cause trouble, regardless of the consequences they may have endured from previous actions. Someone needs to educate them, or they will never change and will always resort to destructive behaviors whenever they feel the need to.

The child may also be influenced by factors outside of the parents control, such as bullying in school. But you could make the case that the people causing the child to act in a destructive manner is a result of their parents not raising them right, so it may all come back to improper nurturing.
Posted 1/24/13
no matter how kind the parents are, if the child decides to be an ass, he/she will be.
38425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Offline
Posted 1/24/13
I don't understand why a child would want to be an ass. Is there a valid reason to be an asshole?
Banned
31569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / The Void.
Offline
Posted 1/24/13
It's everybody's fault, dude, including the child's since we have free will.
mippa 
51444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / Austin, Texas
Offline
Posted 1/24/13
It's not the parent's fault when their child is an ass-hole.

It's just their responsibility to handle it up until they're 18. Then the parents can wash their hands of them if they so choose (but rarely do) and let the world handle it.
Banned
31569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / The Void.
Offline
Posted 1/24/13

lordseth23 wrote:

I don't understand why a child would want to be an ass. Is there a valid reason to be an asshole?


There is no valid reason to be an asshole.

38425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Offline
Posted 1/24/13

-Vega- wrote:


lordseth23 wrote:

I don't understand why a child would want to be an ass. Is there a valid reason to be an asshole?


There is no valid reason to be an asshole.



Then there must be an outside factor that causes a person to act like a jerk, correct?
Banned
31569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / The Void.
Offline
Posted 1/24/13

lordseth23 wrote:


-Vega- wrote:


lordseth23 wrote:

I don't understand why a child would want to be an ass. Is there a valid reason to be an asshole?


There is no valid reason to be an asshole.



Then there must be an outside factor that causes a person to act like a jerk, correct?


Kind of, but mainly no.


2106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Guess
Offline
Posted 1/24/13

FlyinDumpling wrote:

--until you reach 18.

Then what? Ever bad thing you've done when you were young was the fault of your parent for not disciplining you well enough and every thing leading to that point was your parent's fault. But once you hit 18, bing. Right after 12:00am on the day of your birthday. You're an adult now, it's your fault. I hear this phrase "It's the parent's fault" quite often

if bad things happen in the news because of a child's actions (young adult, youth, whatever you want to call it) it's the parent's fault for not controlling them well enough or for instilling bad morals.

I hate to say it, but I think sometimes...it's also the child's fault.

But wait, they are still young, not old enough to make decisions by themselves, but it still doesn't mean they can't. Reversing this idea, it not like once teens become adults, all the bad things they've learned resets and they cherry pick good actions to become better people, not typically anyways. There is a lot to think about here, so I'll just leave it as that.

as always, your thoughts?


It is simply the weakness of this age, parents simply lack the firmness in their dealing with their children. Parents must not be afraid of 'hurting their child's self-esteem', and must enforce strict disipline upon their children. Indeed, a noted Psychologist, Dr. Alber Ellis, recommends, instead of laxity, what children need is consistency in discipline.
17181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 1/24/13

lordseth23 wrote:

I don't understand why a child would want to be an ass. Is there a valid reason to be an asshole?

High school girls can be so mean, and I was once too so....

They do it because they can, or because they don't like what they see. If you have something to say, you say it.

Children were terrible in elementary school too, even though the parents, from looking, were pretty nice people who would never let their child get away with something like that if they knew. I don't know why they bullied me, probably because they thought it was fun to pick at how I slurred my words when I talked back to them -_-" Though I wouldn't claim to be the victim, I was being an asshole to other people too and bullied others. Eventually I learned to be nice, only because "it didn't look good" if I was being mean, not from my parents but from this after school program...but then I learned to think for myself. Now I'm just a bitch that likes to talk about people I hate behind their backs. Do I blame those "children" for this? Yes. Do I blame my parents for this? They influenced me a whole lot during my childhood so yes. Do I also blame them for remaining like this? Yes, even though the answer is clearly no, but whatever,
76 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 1/24/13
In my eyes, turning 18 means you are legal. It does not mean you are an adult. They are people out there over the age 18 and still act if they were 8. Anyway, if that 18 year old gets his ass thrown in jail for the sake of choosing to be an ass or doing "bad" things, then it is his fault. By the age of 18, that "adult" should have a clear and I mean very clear what is right and wrong, good and bad, and being an ass and not being an ass. Unless the 18 year old kid has come form of mental disorder, it's the 18 year old's fault.

Other the hand, who you are and what you are comes a lot from your "family". You were raise by their view on life. It is impossible for you to be raise without an ounce of their "teachings". Although who you are and what you are depends a lot from your family, by the time your 18, you should know. Again, free will.
Posted 1/25/13
If attempts had been made to teach a child, yet they still decide to go against it, it's their fault. Legal ramifications have been placed on people younger than eighteen years, also. Can you say juvenile court? I knew you could.
21028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Mid-Atlantic
Offline
Posted 1/26/13

longfenglim wrote:


FlyinDumpling wrote:

--until you reach 18.

Then what? Ever bad thing you've done when you were young was the fault of your parent for not disciplining you well enough and every thing leading to that point was your parent's fault. But once you hit 18, bing. Right after 12:00am on the day of your birthday. You're an adult now, it's your fault. I hear this phrase "It's the parent's fault" quite often

if bad things happen in the news because of a child's actions (young adult, youth, whatever you want to call it) it's the parent's fault for not controlling them well enough or for instilling bad morals.

I hate to say it, but I think sometimes...it's also the child's fault.

But wait, they are still young, not old enough to make decisions by themselves, but it still doesn't mean they can't. Reversing this idea, it not like once teens become adults, all the bad things they've learned resets and they cherry pick good actions to become better people, not typically anyways. There is a lot to think about here, so I'll just leave it as that.

as always, your thoughts?


It is simply the weakness of this age, parents simply lack the firmness in their dealing with their children. Parents must not be afraid of 'hurting their child's self-esteem', and must enforce strict disipline upon their children. Indeed, a noted Psychologist, Dr. Alber Ellis, recommends, instead of laxity, what children need is consistency in discipline.


You hit the nail on the head. Had an long ongoing discussion w/i general forum on similar subject. Children learn by pressing against the rules that they are given to follow. In the present day parents are more interested in being their child's friend/advocate than being their child's parent thanks in large part to Dr. Spock. I haven't read any of Dr. Ellis's works (yet) but I can say I'm already a proponent.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.