Customer Support Manager
This is a compilation post by many of the moderators on the site. PLEASE familiarize yourself with the rules. Moderators are not obliged to explain every rule prior to moderation.
Note: Click the spoiler button under each rule for a more detailed explanation!
General Site Rules
● Report all errors/bugs/glitches/exploits/flaws with the site to the mods/admins
Any coding errors that you notice should be reported to a moderator. Failure to do so will not get you into any trouble but if you exploit a flaw with the site instead of telling a moderator about it, you will be banned. Length of the ban will depend on the severity of the action.
● Have an appropriate Avatar
- must not contain nude or offensive images.
- can't be any larger than 500 pixels in length and 200 pixels in width.
- may not be taken/stolen from another user.
If any of those are not followed, a staff member will remove it if reported to them or if they happen to see it.
For more details, please refer to the Photo Guidelines further down.
● Do not spam for CR Points:
Posting things like Forum posts, photos or comments earns you CR points, but it is not what the site was created for. The points are supposed to be a reflection of how much you used the site but also has no direct relation to how experienced you are on this site. Trying to abuse the system to gain a lot of CR Points is a punishable offense.
● Only post links if they are appropriate
Please use common sense with links. The following are disallowed.
Links to sites (commercial OR personal) that have:
1. Pornographic, racist or illegal materials
2. Profit sites or referral link games. These are sites that earn the poster a profit/commission or sites that give points for incoming links.
3. Links to sites that host potentially illegal content. This would include direct downloads and streaming sites that have videos and music that were uploaded without consent of the copyright holders.
4. Any form of advertising. You may post links to sites you like, just as long as you genuinely endorse it and don't post it multiple times.
● Chainletters are not to be circulated
Exactly what it says. Any message that tells you to send the same message to other people or else something bad will happen, is fake.
DO NOT SEND/FORWARD any random messages you get or see which contain words or phrases similar to the following examples:
- Forward this
- copy and paste
- send to all your friends
- pass it around
- copy and paste it on 10 other videos
- your will die
- press f4
If you happen to see messages like these, please mark them as 'SPAM', and a moderator will eventually delete it.
Forwarding a chainletter will be punished with a week long ban.
Please refer to this thread: http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-784211/please-read-newest-chain-letter
NONE of the site moderators or administrative staff will ask for a mass circulation of any letter of any sort. We do not need to resort to these tactics to get our messages across. So please, do NOT circulate them.
● Multiple accounts (aka Alts) are generally not allowed
These have to be reported to administrators and moderators, with a reasonable explanation as to why it was created. This is a serious offense, failure to do so may result in account termination.
Multiple accounts that are used to spam, harass/deceive other users, get around a ban or break any other rules, will most likely be deleted on sight with absolutely no warning.
● Know where to seek Help with using the site
Please don't post just anywhere if you need help. There are proper places for this.
If you need help with something on the site, you may:
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- PM a staff member, whom you can find listed on the Staff page.
- visit the Site Feedback and Help section for assistance with any of your site related problems.
● Only edit an Article page if the information you are adding is valid
If you edit Article pages in the Crunchyroll Library and continually add invalid information, you may be warned and banned for doing so.
General Forum and Library Article rules
● Read and understand the General Site and Forum Rules before posting on the Forum
This was put at the top of the list for a reason. The rules are here for you to read, so there is no excuse to feign ignorance when a warning is issued.
● Flamebaiting, Flaming and Trolling are disallowed.
Do not insult others. Even if you strongly detest the content of a post or individual to whom you are replying to. Swearing is only allowed if the swear word does not directly insult any users. This will be dealt in a case by case basis.
PMs are not moderated. However, you should respect the privacy of others and refrain from quoting Private Messages in a public forum. Consider bringing issues up to any moderators if you feel harassed by any individual though.
● Don't force the forum rules down someone else's throat.
If you believe it needs pointing out, take it to PM or notify a moderator. Quoting the rules in public is unnecessarily embarrassing for the author of the post in question. If someone breaks the rules, respectfully inform them of it, report it to a moderator and be on your way. Don't make it into a personal issue by arguing with them.
● Generally, be respectful in tone:
- Do not yell, i.e. type in all caps.
- Once is enough. Don't post the exact same message multiple times.
- Type what you want to say in an intelligible way - avoid l33t, shorthand, and related internet atrocities.
- Spamming smilies is unnecessary. Nobody needs to see 99 smilies in a post. One will suffice.
- Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use annoying caps, special characters, or titles that have sexual innuendo just to draw attention. They will be edited if someone has time.
● Assume goodwill.
Internet tone is easy to misinterpret, hence unless the evidence highly suggests otherwise, take sometime to think - could the post you just read could be interpreted in a friendlier fashion? Give them the benefit of doubt.
● Forum standards are rated PG-13.
- Do not post naughty links or graven images.
- Please try to keep sexual innuendo to a minimum. This forum does not disallow it, but occasionally, such things get out of hand, so please think about sharing them in private instead of posting them.
- Refer to the Photo Upload Guidelines found later in this list
● Do not engage in unnatural thread bumping.
If you are concerned about a topic, post once. If it's good, people will respond, but if you are doing it simply to make a thread seem popular (esp if the thread is your own) then it's an unnatural bump. Posts like that will be deleted if seen and you will be warned not to do so again.
● Post your threads in the appropriate forums.
Save the moderators time by thinking about where your thread best fits in the forum. Make sure to use the correct subforum/section and check to see if your thread has already been made in the past because duplicates (or very similar topics) will be removed without question. Nobody will kick you if you get it wrong, but it saves your thread from being overlooked or locked.
Also, use the forum search or check the index threads to see if the thread you plan on making isn't a duplicate of an old one.
Forum Games Index
● Almost ALL new Naruto, Bleach, Death Note, & One Piece threads will be locked. Those must go in the proper subsections that are dedicated to those shows.
● Most 'Versus' thread will be locked
Due to the numerous amount of these particular anime and 'versus' threads already posted, no new threads will be allowed unless it is a good topic that deserves it's own thread. (which won't happen often)
● Offer content.
Remember that your post is supposed to be read by someone. Don't just post saying 'Yo', or things like that that others cannot contribute to. It's not a personal space for you to do whatever you want, but an interactive board. Threads made to simply ask a question and have it answered are not allowed. There are most likely larger threads which have already been made for you to do that in.
● Do not post more than 2 pictures in a single Forum post
Not everyone has high speed internet, therefore, do put a note before submitting a new thread that is image intensive. It would also be wise to limit the number of pictures per post to 2 and refrain from posting a lot of pictures in one post. This does not mean you can double or triple post right after wards with 2 more images per post. If you must put a lot of images in a post, try linking to the url instead of embedding the image with the IMG tags.
● Type intelligibly.
This is not an instant messenger program, and CR does have a chat program for that purpose. People prefer to read a post that someone has taken the time and consideration in. Also, under no circumstances are you to type in a foreign language without providing an English translation (which should also be done sparingly). Illegible posts that don't make sense are easily misinterpreted as spam, and therefore are subjected to removal without warning, so save yourself the trouble.
● Thou Shalt Accept the Moderators' and Administrators Decisions.
We reserve the right to edit any part of a post, member profile, ban members (temporarily or permanently) and other miscellaneous actions required to keep the forum in order. You will accept this gladly and run to the yoke of our loving arms, because we do so for your sake. <-That was a joke, btw. (*wicked grin*)
(^ with that last point, anyone who ignores a moderator will have our wicked fury cracking upon their souls. )
● Do not advertise your group in the forum.
You can only advertise your group in your own profile. Not in the forum or in video comments. Also do not spam users with group invites. That will get your group shut down.
● Do not Double-Post
When you make a post immediately after your last post, this is called Double Posting. If you post three times in a row, that's Triple posting. Post any more than that, it's Spamming. You can use the edit button found on the upper right-hand corner of your last post to add on any additional comments you'd like to add, instead of posting again.
Naturally, if no one responds to your post, don't post after your previous post asking something like 'Why no one is replying'.
● Do not make excessive chain-quotes/quote-pyramids
Refrain from quoting excessively. When quoting someone, use only the portion of the quote that is absolutely necessary. This includes quoting pictures! Chain-quotes are just an annoyance for everyone and they are easy to prevent. Anymore than 3 quoted extensions will be automatically deleted by moderators.
Nobody likes being forced to scroll forever just to read a one-liner post agreeing with the massive chain-quotes' last quote.
● Only Premium Members can Suggest Anime/Drama/Music
If you are a premium member and want to suggest some anime/drama/music to be uploaded to Crunchyroll, just use this thread:
What series/movie/music would you like to see on CR?
Thread Creation Guidelines
● Make the First Post clear and complete
If you're going to start a topic, back it up with any background information that should be known regarding the topic in question. Don't assume that everyone knows what you're talking about - provide external/internal links, synopses, and examples to clarify your topic so that everyone can understand and join freely.
● Do not create personal or help threads
When making a topic refrain from making personal threads or "I need help" threads. Personal and help threads will automatically get locked. Whether you receive your answer or not.
Here's a list of threads you can post in instead of creating help threads:
The general help thread
The anime/manga help thread
The drama/movie help thread:
The music help thread
Game Help: Cheats, Hints, Tips, etc
Most of those threads are stickied in their proper forums and stickied for a reason. Please use them.
● Initiate the discussion in the First Post
The importance of the first post can't be stressed enough. If you're going to start a discussion, make sure to participate in it by giving your opinions as well. It's basic forum courtesy to open a topic by sharing your own views regarding the topic at hand. Simply dropping a topic in front of everyone is very distasteful, and in many ways, can be considered rude. So don't go starting a topic with a short sentence that says: "discuss __(topic goes here)___ in this thread..." because that is a given already based on the title... do your job as thread starter and INITIATE the discussion.
● Label threads appropriately
When you're asked to fill in the field for Topic Title, be clear and concise. Don't write a lengthy sentence or use unnecessary phrases... just keep it simple and sweet. Under Topic Description, give a SHORT description of the nature of the topic. A single sentence is enough - keep more detailed topic descriptions for the FIRST POST of the thread.
● Create topics SENSIBLY
Don't just start any random topic out of a whim. Think first if the topic is worthy of discussion and worth the time of other users to look through and react/comment upon. Any topic that does not generate any reasonable form of discussion, or a topic that is simply too trivial to discuss will be locked.
● Avoid creating Comparison/VS Threads
This is somewhat related to the Sensible Topic guideline. Though there's nothing wrong with versus topics per se, they generate little discussion, and history has shown that users abuse topics like these and post one-worded responses. Many, IF NOT ALL comparison/versus topics WILL BE LOCKED. The bottom line is that Forum Topics should be venues for discussion. Period.
● Don't BUMP threads
Though it may be frustrating that no one is replying to your thread, don't bump or troll in it to keep it alive in the forums. If people have nothing to say, then they don't have anything to say. Just let the thread be and sooner or later, someone will reply.
● Always check for Existing Threads
Don't go starting a thread without having first checked the forums for existing threads. You can use the new Forum Search tool bar to find threads with matching keywords, or you can consult the Thread Indices, which are stickied near the top of each forum section. If your topic is a duplicate, it will be locked.
● Post threads in the appropriate forum section
As stated a while ago, make sure you're posting your topic in the proper forum section.
Guidelines for Pictures & Photos
The following includes what images are NOT ACCEPTABLE for upload in the photo sections/avatar of your profile:
~ Any form of nudity, regardless of whether or not the subject is covering their breasts or genitalia will not be tolerated.
● Breast Exposure
~ Exposure of more than 1/2 of the breast, exposure of the areola, and exposure of the nipple will not be tolerated. Fondling of the breasts (i.e. grasping the breasts either by the character or by another character) will not be tolerated either.
● Genital Exposure
~ No form of genital exposure will be tolerated. This includes fondling with undergarments, extremely low exposure (such that more or less 1/2 of the mons pubis is exposed) or visualizations of the genitalia beneath the underwear (where the labia majora is discernable).
● Sexual Connotations
~ Any picture depicting sexual undertones, such as sex, masturbation, or any of the sort will not be tolerated.
Any infringement will result in automatic deletion of the said pictures and the following sanctions:
1st offense ~ Warning
2nd offense ~ 3-day ban
3rd offense ~ Account Deletion
Remember that CR is a PG13 site, first and foremost. You have no defense what so ever in explaining why any R18 images should be uploaded.
Crunchyroll's User-made Group Rules
Rules for a group you create can be whatever you decide on as long as the group does not involve the following:
1) The group may not be used to attack/ridicule other users of this site by doing things like the following for example; creating lists of users to pass judgment on them, posting images of conversations, welcoming the members in your group to harass other users through PMs and/or Forum Posts ,etc. Such groups may be deleted if they continue to be a problem after being warned.
2) Groups with material only suitable for Adults (ie nude images), are not allowed. Otherwise the group may be closed after a 24 hour notice is given to the creator, so he/she can change the group to meet our requirements.
3) Owners and mods of groups that knowingly allow banned users to join under new accounts can be banned for assisting these users in circumventing their respective bans. Their group can also be deleted for this.
4) Groups that endorse illegal activity will be subject to deletion. Posting links to external websites that contain pornography, torrents, profit advertising, illegal online streaming, direct downloads, etc and/or uploading inappropriate content (i.e., hentai pictures) are not allowed.
We only intervene in groups when necessary and as such, dealing with groups is done case by case. This means that the Site Moderators (listed on the staff page) reserve the right to look over your group and impose any new rules on them if it is deemed to be best for the community. If this happens, a moderator will usually explain the new rules to the creator of the group and it will be up to creator to impose those rules on to the rest of the members. If the rules are still not upheld by either the creator or the members, the group could be removed.
Catching up. Please be patient.