First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply What anime completely shocked you, and in a good way?
49852 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / With Lucina
Offline
Posted 1/26/13
I'll go with Kotoura-san as a recent good shocker


chase6565 wrote:

STEINS;GATE....this anime is so underrated. The story still just makes me go 'wow' thinking about it.


And Steins;Gate is not underrated at all, it's pretty popular

49539 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 1/26/13 , edited 1/26/13

Rito2Ru wrote:

chase6565 wrote:

STEINS;GATE....this anime is so underrated. The story still just makes me go 'wow' thinking about it.


And Steins;Gate is not underrated at all, it's pretty popular


Yeah, Steins;Gate is up there.

I would have to say no anime really shocks me, I don't go into anything I watch expecting something else only to be surprised, disgusted, etc. I guess one show that left a big impression on me was Gunbuster, and even more so when paired with its sequel Diebuster. I get nostalgia every time I see the endings.

768 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 1/26/13
Anime that shocked me in a good way: Symphogear and Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya!
768 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 1/26/13

Mizuki_chan3 wrote:

Clannad: After Story

Clannad is so sad I cried buckets...
This anime also has the power to make the manliest man cry like little babies



True Story and even to those who have built walls around their hearts! If you don't cry in this anime at some point, you are dead inside.
49539 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 1/26/13

AsuraCryin1980 wrote:


Mizuki_chan3 wrote:

Clannad: After Story

Clannad is so sad I cried buckets...
This anime also has the power to make the manliest man cry like little babies



True Story and even to those who have built walls around their hearts! If you don't cry in this anime at some point, you are dead inside.


I guess I'm dead inside then.
34598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Online
Posted 1/26/13 , edited 1/26/13
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko

never heard of the anime until recently, the artwork kinda captivated me. didn't really expect much more than a run of the mill slice-of-life series, but was pleasantly surprised by just how good it was. it's right up there in quality with Key anime. except as is normal with Key work, Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko has no tragedy.
mipegg 
20406 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Online
Posted 1/26/13

Quarlo wrote:

For me it would be Hourou Musuko Wandering Son. I read the synopsis, but I was unprepared for how endearing the story of this couragous little boy could be. I recomend it to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Honorable mention to the first 8 minutes of Kotoura-san. You look at the picture for the anime and you are not expecting what she has to endure at the beginning fo the series.


Im just watching Wandering Son now, it really has surprised me how well thought out the whole thing is, it doesnt seem to rely on the usual tropes that are applied to crossdressers etc which is nice. That said I dont really know how accurate it is, just feels very... real but with the semi-dream like animation its all just nice.

As for shocks, hmm, Natsuyuki Rendezvous. I'm not a very emotional person but that ending just got me so much.

1024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F
Offline
Posted 1/26/13
Madoka Magica. I went in expecting one thing and got something else, and something better than expected. It's one of those anime series that is not what it seems and is practically known for that, and one of the few newer anime that was able to draw me in, so color me impressed.
1490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F / Finland
Offline
Posted 1/26/13
For me it's Kotoura-san, Natsume Yuujincho and Psycho-Pass.
I didn't know that Kotoura-san would be that emotional. I thought it was going to be a comedy show with some drama in it. Kotoura-san was a very positive surprise!
And then Natsume Yuujincho. I thought it was just going to be about Natsume giving back the names and then have some dangerous youkai's and couple of bad guys in it. And I never had watched an anime like that. I didn't know that there was going to be so beautiful, bittersweet and sad stories in it! I cried about 95% of the episodes, because of the stories! And Natsume childhood and his grandmas life alone was just so sad! It was a huge surprise for me! Natsume Yuujincho is definitely an anime worth of watching!
And lastly Psycho-Pass. When I read what Psycho-Pass was about, I was just expecting a detective anime placed in the future. I knew it was by Gen Urobuchi and I only had watched one anime by him, so I didn't much about him. And Psycho-Pass was definitely a positive surprise for me. I didn't know it was going to be so brutal. I like who the bad guy is actually at the same time a good guy. And I love that you get know to the other characters too! Everyone who wants an anime that is meant for adults and not kids, watch Psycho-Pass! And I'm totally waiting for the next work from Gen Urobuchi, Suisei no Gargantia!
26549 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Memphis, TN
Online
Posted 1/26/13
Girls und Panzer. Ridiculous premise, but it turned out to be a fun anime--one of my favorites this season. Can't wait for it to resume!

Usagi Drop. As good as I'd heard it was, I still wasn't prepared for the depth of gentleness and empathy with which the characters were portrayed and imbued. Dickens couldn't have done better for a storyline.

Bodacious Space Pirates. I figured just another bunch of jiggly, giggly high school girls, but watched the first episode on a whim. What a pleasant surprise--it had a plot! And characters!

83913 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 1/26/13

Shrapnel893 wrote:


AsuraCryin1980 wrote:


Mizuki_chan3 wrote:

Clannad: After Story

Clannad is so sad I cried buckets...
This anime also has the power to make the manliest man cry like little babies



True Story and even to those who have built walls around their hearts! If you don't cry in this anime at some point, you are dead inside.


I guess I'm dead inside then.


i didn't cry buckets either, nor did i bleed from my eyes...

when people die they stay dead, it was pretty predictable that the happen end route from the game was chosen
49539 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 1/26/13

AnimeKami wrote:


Shrapnel893 wrote:


AsuraCryin1980 wrote:


Mizuki_chan3 wrote:

Clannad: After Story

Clannad is so sad I cried buckets...
This anime also has the power to make the manliest man cry like little babies



True Story and even to those who have built walls around their hearts! If you don't cry in this anime at some point, you are dead inside.


I guess I'm dead inside then.


i didn't cry buckets either, nor did i bleed from my eyes...

when people die they stay dead, it was pretty predictable that the happen end route from the game was chosen


3959 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/26/13
madoka magica, i totally expected the usually shoujo desu desu kinda magic girl thing but it wasn't really like that.
Also Wandering son. I never knew it would give me so many feels.
20868 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Reno, NV
Online
Posted 1/26/13
Girls und Panzer, since its charm actually surpassed the impossibly dumb premise.
Astarotte's Toy, because it was not only a stupid premise, but a fundamentally creepy one at that, yet the actual execution was both sweet-natured and kinda charming.
Chihayafuru, because, well, karuta. But it is one of the most interesting and surprising sports anime I've ever seen.

And, yeah, like everyone else, the beginning to Kotura-san came totally out of left field.
21028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Mid-Atlantic
Offline
Posted 1/26/13

darkfire9o9 wrote:


Boganis wrote:

Say "I Love You" Absolutely charming.


I agree w/ you. I knew it was going to be a love stroy, but it turned out to be WAY better than I thought.


i was very surprised w/ the story, hadn't read the manga and typically avoid romances because nowadays they are so sappy that I'm always disappointed plus, i'm too old to want to view teenage characters who have more active romantic lives than I do. I loved how this anime dealt with mature issues in intelligent and realistic manner.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.