First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
Do you keep weapons in your household? For self-defense or anything else?
10135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 1/30/13 , edited 1/30/13

Just because crazy people shoot innocent people doesn't mean it doesn't take skill to be a marksman. It's pretty easy to miss something you're shooting at while standing right in front of it. I've seen many people do it many times. It doesn't take skill to shoot a firearm or a bow, but it takes skill to shoot both of them properly and accurately.
Posted 1/30/13
Erm ~ does a Machete counts ? and 2 well breed k9 dogs ? ^ ^
30425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Offline
Posted 1/30/13

CLarose wrote:


lordseth23 wrote:


CLarose wrote:


lordseth23 wrote:


NinjaHawkins wrote:


lordseth23 wrote:



Why do you need a semi-automatic for a shooting competition or for hunting?


First of all, almost all shooting competitions involve semi-automatic weapons. And as for hunting, its nice having more than just a single round to fire, in case you miss your first shot.


Can't you have a competition with a bolt action rifle too? Why do you need a semi-automatic?

Just because it is fun to shoot multiple bullets at a time doesn't mean you have to do it. It sounds like there is no reason why you should have to use a semi-automatic for recreational purposes, all of those competitions should be replaced with bolt action competitions.


He just gave a reason, he said "in case you miss"


What is your point? You can easily reload your non-automatic weapon and shoot again in case you miss. Are you telling me that people are incapable of doing this?


It's not about being incapable of reloading every round. It's called technology! There are plenty of things we are capable of doing ourselves but people develop the technology to automate the process. It's no different with semi automatic firearms. Now go ahead and ask your next question and make your next assumption.


Why do you need a semi-automatic gun?
10135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 1/30/13 , edited 1/30/13


I don't remember anyone using the word "need" and to answer the question, some people prefer semi auto.
30425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Offline
Posted 1/30/13

CLarose wrote:



I don't remember anyone using the word "need" and to answer the question, some people prefer semi auto.


Look at my original question. I specifically asked why semi-automatic guns were needed, so the proposed answer to my question pertained to why they are needed, not why they are preferred.
10135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 1/30/13 , edited 1/30/13


You're the one that is assuming that they're needed. They're not needed, they're preferred and the reason is ease of use.
30425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Offline
Posted 1/30/13

CLarose wrote:



You're the one that is assuming that they're needed. They're not needed, they're preferred and the reason is ease of use.


When did I say they are needed? My argument is that they are not needed, which I thought was apparent by my previous comment.
10135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 1/30/13

lordseth23 wrote:


CLarose wrote:



You're the one that is assuming that they're needed. They're not needed, they're preferred and the reason is ease of use.


When did I say they are needed? My argument is that they are not needed, which I thought was apparent by my previous comment.


My fault, what I mean to say is that you're assuming that the owners of semi automatic firearms need semi automatic firearms and I'm telling you that there is no necessity, only preference.
768 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 1/30/13 , edited 1/30/13

CLarose wrote:


Just because crazy people shoot innocent people doesn't mean it doesn't take skill to be a marksman. It's pretty easy to miss something you're shooting at while standing right in front of it. I've seen many people do it many times. It doesn't take skill to shoot a firearm or a bow, but it takes skill to shoot both of them properly and accurately.



You are talking about semi automatic weapons vs a bow and arrow. Noone public needs the use of automatic weaponry. Military and law enforcement should be the only ones with such weapons. And to be honest if we had no weapons in the world we would be far better off. It takes less to kill or harm someone with a semi-automatic or even full auto gun vs a bow and arrow...stop trolling and get educated. I guess what you are telling me is something like an AR-15 does same amount of damage as a bow and arrow? I guess as long as america has gun nuts with desire for military grade weapons noone will ever be safe within our own borders.


Also marksman gun users normally use high powered sniper rifles as they only need 1 shot.
10135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 1/30/13

AsuraCryin1980 wrote:


CLarose wrote:



Just because crazy people shoot innocent people doesn't mean it doesn't take skill to be a marksman. It's pretty easy to miss something you're shooting at while standing right in front of it. I've seen many people do it many times. It doesn't take skill to shoot a firearm or a bow, but it takes skill to shoot both of them properly and accurately.



You are talking about semi automatic weapons vs a bow and arrow. Noone public needs the use of automatic weaponry. Military and law enforcement should be the only ones with such weapons. And to be honest if we had no weapons in the world we would be far better off. It takes less to kill or harm someone with a semi-automatic or even full auto gun vs a bow and arrow...stop trolling and get educated. I guess what you are telling me is something like an AR-15 does same amount of damage as a bow and arrow? I guess as long as america has gun nuts with desire for military grade weapons noone will ever be safe within our own borders.


Also marksman gun users normally use high powered sniper rifles as they only need 1 shot.



You are talking about semi automatic weapons vs a bow and arrow. Noone public needs the use of automatic weaponry. Military and law enforcement should be the only ones with such weapons.


Youre right, at this moment in time, no civilian needs automatic weaponry. Civilians choose to own them and in my opinion, every civilian should be able to if they choose to and if they meet the requirements to lawfully own one.


And to be honest if we had no weapons in the world we would be far better off.


You think so huh? Well first, define "weapon" because there are a lot of different things that can be used as a weapon. If youre referring to guns, ill have you know that there was a time where guns didnt exist and guess what? People still went to war and there was still violent crime.


It takes less to kill or harm someone with a semi-automatic or even full auto gun vs a bow and arrow...


Just because a firearm has more power behind it than a bow and arrow, it doesn't mean it doesn't take skill to accurately wield one. You said yourself that marksmen use high powered sniper rifles, meaning they are more powerful than a pistol or carbine. Using your logic, it should be even easier to shoot a sniper rifle, right? Just point and shoot?



I guess what you are telling me is something like an AR-15 does same amount of damage as a bow and arrow


You guessed wrong. I never said that a rifle does as much damage as a bow, but I am saying that they both take some degree of skill to be accurate with. Also, they both can be lethal no matter which is more powerful. Its all about preference.


I guess as long as America has gun nuts with desire for military grade weapons noone will ever be safe within our own borders.


More guns dont necessarily equal more violent crime. Thats a proven fact.



stop trolling and get educated.


Just because you dont agree with my opinion, doesnt mean that I am "trolling" and if you dont like when people respond to something you say on a public forum either ignore it or dont bother to make a statement. Youre old enough to know that. As far as being educated goes, you should take your own advice, sir.
43656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / So Cal
Offline
Posted 1/30/13
4285 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F
Offline
Posted 1/30/13
I have a baseball bat somewhere.
19216 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 1/30/13 , edited 1/30/13

AsuraCryin1980

Correct any idiot can squeeze a trigger and cause harm to innocent people. Especially untrained people with mentality issues.


i think you'd be surprised just how much skill shooting requires to be competitively accurate, the slightest variation in how you pull the trigger can cause the round to fall to the left or right depending on how you shoot, any anticipatory reaction to recoil from your body can cause the bullet to be significantly off target from what you are aiming at. breathing can affect the accuracy of shooting rifles at long ranges, the way a person holds the firearm and the stance they take at the firing line can all impact accuracy. a right handed shooter who is left eye dominant and does not know to compensate for this will also be off target. the way your rifle is sighted in is also important, if I have a zero of 100 yards, which means that all things being equal, a perfect shot should be in the center of the target, attempting to shoot a target at 200 yards will result in the bullet hitting below the center.

this is all in relation to stationary target shooting of course, there are significantly more factors that come into play if we are talking about someone engaged in actual combat, and learning to put rounds down range on any moving target takes a lot of skill to master.

the reality is that a bullet projectile experiences a curved drop as it travels just like an arrow does, it simply has a greater velocity so the curve is not as pronounced as the arc of an arrow in say...a 100 yard range
19216 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 1/30/13 , edited 1/30/13

AsuraCryin1980
You are talking about semi automatic weapons vs a bow and arrow. Noone public needs the use of automatic weaponry. Military and law enforcement should be the only ones with such weapons. And to be honest if we had no weapons in the world we would be far better off. It takes less to kill or harm someone with a semi-automatic or even full auto gun vs a bow and arrow...stop trolling and get educated. I guess what you are telling me is something like an AR-15 does same amount of damage as a bow and arrow? I guess as long as america has gun nuts with desire for military grade weapons noone will ever be safe within our own borders.


Also marksman gun users normally use high powered sniper rifles as they only need 1 shot.


I'm assuming you say only police/military should have them because they are "trained" how to use them, the reality is that most people who like to shoot get a lot more training than the average police officer or military member.

I think you would also be surprised at how little training police and military (with the exception of Special Forces and SWAT) actually get with firearms...we are talking about maybe 100 rounds down range a year..much more than that and they are doing the shooting on their own time and money, just like the rest of us. I, for example shoot 300 rounds a month and there are other ordinary citizens who shoot a lot more than I do

the idea that a person in a uniform is going to be any more responsible with a firearm than a normal person, or even at life in general is laughable...people are people no matter what profession they are in...this is precisely the kind of infatuation towards authority figures that I cant even begin to relate to; as if they magically turn into gods when they put on the the sacred garb of the state.

8802 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Gotham City
Offline
Posted 1/30/13

AsuraCryin1980
And to be honest if we had no weapons in the world we would be far better off. It takes less to kill or harm someone with a semi-automatic or even full auto gun vs a bow and arrow...stop trolling and get educated.


Wut.

I'm pretty sure that even if we didn't have modern weaponry and guns ceased to exist humanity would still find plenty of ways to kill each other effectively.

Without weapons, there would be no way for "good" enforcers like the police, and the military, to protect civilians from themselves and "bad" enforcers. In an ideal world, we're all peaceful and reasonable and law-abiding, but the fact remains that sometimes people must fight and kill for peace to be achieved and injustice to be righted. Do you think that if the US and the UK ceased fighting Germany during WWII that somehow, magically, Hitler would decide to stop trying to subjugate the entire European continent? Would it bring about peace if the US and UK didn't beat Germany into forced submission?

Would Hitler have stopped committing mass genocide of the Jews if suddenly the US and UK threw down their weapons and tried to reason with Germany. Fighting, and weapons, are very much a necessary part of human civilization.

Modern weaponry such as handguns, shotguns, assault weapons, rifles have only existed in a short snapshot of time. During the rest of human history, people were quite effectively able to kill millions of other people with blade weapons, blunt weapons, non-gun projectile weapons, siege weapons, starvation, poisoning, intentional fires, plague and smallpox blankets, etc. etc. Humans have no lack of creativity in finding ways of mass-killing other humans, regardless of the technology available.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.