First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Small history of anime fansubs
66790 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / ???????? ?? ?????
Offline
Posted 1/31/13
Though it is a short documentary, it's interesting to watch the roots of what came to be into what fansubs are in this day and age. It was a lot harder back then.

Part 1 - http://youtu.be/IUYlqLlbix0

Part 2 - http://youtu.be/yoJ_BWQ9Kow

Part 3 - http://youtu.be/PFu9lh37X34

Part 4 - http://youtu.be/E8oYz1dP0-k

Part 5 - http://youtu.be/ED3HAEjKUl0
70866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 1/31/13 , edited 2/2/13
Well yeah ripping VHS is pretty annoying

edit:::::::::::

procedure today would be...

irc communication/ ftp

raw provider getting the transport stream

encoder does a work raw

translator translates <-- well no shit...

translation checker <-- not always but a plus

editor edits

typesetter does them fonts

timer does the timing

encoder encodes again do them fancy crc

quality checker

distro

profit??? wait what lol...
Posted 1/31/13
Fansubs today can be made very quickly. Not long after an episode of some anime airs in Japan on TV, or some other release, a fansub group already has a rip with subtitles a few days later.
16176 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 2/2/13
I will have to disagree to what he is saying in part 3 about putting in english words on screen, when there are japanese words. Since i can't read japanese.

But he might be reefering to the fact that they put it on the screen, beside the japanese text - in a simmilar font. Instead of just putting it at the bottom of the screen in plain text.

380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/2/13 , edited 2/2/13

dacan13 wrote:

I will have to disagree to what he is saying in part 3 about putting in english words on screen, when there are japanese words. Since i can't read japanese.

But he might be reefering to the fact that they put it on the screen, beside the japanese text - in a simmilar font. Instead of just putting it at the bottom of the screen in plain text.



There are many instances where signs are extremely relevant to the story. If you don't know what it means, you won't have a clue what the scenes are about. Then, there are 2 options: use translator's notes or type-set onto the signs. So long as they are not too intrusive, type-setting onto signs are the best options. So what if they're type-set besides Japanese words.

He does have a point if irrelevant signs are translated and type-set onto the screen. That will just clutter up the screen. However, some signs need to be translated. Yes, fansubbers can include a text file but that has just as much flaws. Unless you have lots of time, do you really want to watch every single episode of every single series multiple times as you cross-reference from the text-file? I'd rather have minimal translator notes and relevant signs type-set, and just watch the episode once.

Paul Johnson had lots of relevant points but he tends to exaggerate by taking the worst examples to prove his points. Which gives the wrong impressions because it's an over-generalization. As always, you can make any case by ignoring what doesn't work for your argument and only select those that does.
25045 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 2/2/13

turborobo wrote:

Fansubs today can be made very quickly. Not long after an episode of some anime airs in Japan on TV, or some other release, a fansub group already has a rip with subtitles a few days later.


days? it's usually only hours.
380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/2/13

aidenraine wrote:


turborobo wrote:

Fansubs today can be made very quickly. Not long after an episode of some anime airs in Japan on TV, or some other release, a fansub group already has a rip with subtitles a few days later.


days? it's usually only hours.


Only if you don't really care about the quality.
25045 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 2/2/13

Waterst1 wrote:


aidenraine wrote:


turborobo wrote:

Fansubs today can be made very quickly. Not long after an episode of some anime airs in Japan on TV, or some other release, a fansub group already has a rip with subtitles a few days later.


days? it's usually only hours.


Only if you don't really care about the quality.


depends on the sub group. hell, most CR shows are put up hours after the Japanese broadcast. they don't suffer for quality.
380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/2/13 , edited 2/3/13

aidenraine wrote:
depends on the sub group. hell, most CR shows are put up hours after the Japanese broadcast. they don't suffer for quality.


There's a very good reason for that. Those are not fansubs. They are rips.
33648 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Delaware, U.S.
Offline
Posted 2/2/13
I saw this documentary years ago and I agree with Otaking. Keeping Japanese words and whole phrases untranslated is immature. This also goes for honorifics: Their meanings are implied in English anyway. Just use English equivalents (Naruto has the excuse of being a ninja show). If I want to learn Japanese, I'll buy a Rosetta Stone disc! Japanese is no holier a tongue than English. The crazy fonts need to go. We marks need to be able to read the subtitles and read them in the time available. We don't need garish fonts that nobody can read. We don't need the subtitles to match the speaking character's hair color. We don't need SFX subs every time characters in shounen anime yell their attacks. We don't need karaoke subs with the OPs and EDs. Ain't nobody got time for that!
16176 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 2/3/13

The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:

I saw this documentary years ago and I agree with Otaking. Keeping Japanese words and whole phrases untranslated is immature. This also goes for honorifics: Their meanings are implied in English anyway. Just use English equivalents (Naruto has the excuse of being a ninja show). If I want to learn Japanese, I'll buy a Rosetta Stone disc! Japanese is no holier a tongue than English. The crazy fonts need to go. We marks need to be able to read the subtitles and read them in the time available. We don't need garish fonts that nobody can read. We don't need the subtitles to match the speaking character's hair color. We don't need SFX subs every time characters in shounen anime yell their attacks. We don't need karaoke subs with the OPs and EDs. Ain't nobody got time for that!


If the karaoke subs are well made, synced up to the song and dosn't dissapear before you read it. Then i don't agree with them bein useless, they are perfect if you want to sing along to the op/ed. I really don't get his hate for that type of subs, they afe great.

Honorifics, since they show up in every Manga/Anime you learn what they mean pretty fast. I believe it's a part of the culturr, and it really adds to the story. It's quite the diffrence if the maincharacter is bein refeered to as "Onii-san" or "Onii-chan" by his sister. I think most people, if not all knows this mean "Big Brother"
33648 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Delaware, U.S.
Offline
Posted 2/3/13

dacan13 wrote:


The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:

I saw this documentary years ago and I agree with Otaking. Keeping Japanese words and whole phrases untranslated is immature. This also goes for honorifics: Their meanings are implied in English anyway. Just use English equivalents (Naruto has the excuse of being a ninja show). If I want to learn Japanese, I'll buy a Rosetta Stone disc! Japanese is no holier a tongue than English. The crazy fonts need to go. We marks need to be able to read the subtitles and read them in the time available. We don't need garish fonts that nobody can read. We don't need the subtitles to match the speaking character's hair color. We don't need SFX subs every time characters in shounen anime yell their attacks. We don't need karaoke subs with the OPs and EDs. Ain't nobody got time for that!


If the karaoke subs are well made, synced up to the song and dosn't dissapear before you read it. Then i don't agree with them bein useless, they are perfect if you want to sing along to the op/ed. I really don't get his hate for that type of subs, they afe great.

Honorifics, since they show up in every Manga/Anime you learn what they mean pretty fast. I believe it's a part of the culturr, and it really adds to the story. It's quite the diffrence if the maincharacter is bein refeered to as "Onii-san" or "Onii-chan" by his sister. I think most people, if not all knows this mean "Big Brother"


I'd just translate "onii-san/onii-chan" as "broski".

ADV translated it as "bro-bro" in their Sister Princess dub. Lousy show, but it beats hearing "onii-san".

I don't mind Naruto's dub keeping "sensei" intact because it's a show about ninjas. They're training in dojos. That's one thing, but to do the same in a regular school anime? It's jarring and breaks the immersion. Just use the teacher's name or call them "Teach" instead. A rose by any other name will smell as sweet. Keeping honorifics intact seems like part of a wider notion that Japanese culture is somehow sacred and mustn't be altered.

Karaoke subs: We don't need them disappearing. Nor do we need them in English, romaji, and kanji/kana. Again, this is anime, not Japanese class.
380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/3/13

Although I'm not totally against honorifics, I do feel it's unnecessary as well. In other words, they don't bother me even if I do find including them to be silly. Of course, people will argue that by not including them, the cultural nuances are lost. The only important thing in any translations is to convey the story. It doesn't have to be perfect since no translations are ever perfect. There are always equivalent or near-equivalent words to replace honorifics. And that's all they need.

As for karaoke, simple is best. Nothing wrong with a little bit of elaborations but they shouldn't be too distracting. I do feel both English and romaji are required. English since the anime is a translation, so why shouldn't the songs be translated as well. Romaji for those who likes to sing a long. Definitely not Kanji. If you understand and can read Japanese, you do not need subs.

33648 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Delaware, U.S.
Offline
Posted 2/3/13
Don't get me started on those translators' notes they cram into anime. Why not just bundle the notes in a separate text file? We don't need them cluttering up half the screen!
380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/3/13 , edited 2/3/13

The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:

Don't get me started on those translators' notes they cram into anime. Why not just bundle the notes in a separate text file? We don't need them cluttering up half the screen!


I'd say 95% of the notes are unnecessary. As I mentioned above, I'd rather have translator's notes than text files if it's something that's crucial to understanding the scenes. I just want to watch any episodes once and not have to go back and check the included notes. Or have the notes open in case I need to check them.

Some subbers, especially newbies, do tend to go crazy thinking a good sub is one where notes litter the whole episode. But those are the rare ones. Most groups, when they put notes, it'll be just a very few short ones. The examples that Paul Johnson shown are the extremes. He's not wrong and I totally agree with majority of his points. But he exaggerated a lot just to prove his points. He picked the worst examples and would have everyone believe that's normally how they're done.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.