Post Reply Disappointed in the Deal of the Day
37348 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/2/13
So I get an e-mail about the deal of the day and it's a series that I loved watching, so I immediately jump on and take a look. Save 40%? Awesome! I'm in! And since I trust CR to get me the best price on these deals I didn't bother double checking other online retailers for the price. Besides, someone usually posts in the comments section if there is a cheaper alternative and I didn't see any such thing so there must not be. I only noticed after I bought the anime series in question that there were no comments at all, which is strange for the internet and especially for CR. So on a whim I go and check Amazon. Lo and behold there was the item I just bought for 10% less and here I am with no way to go back in time to slap myself for not comparison shopping.

I don't even know when CR decided to remove comments from their Deals page but I'm pretty much not going to spend another dime there now without triple checking every online retailer I know.
114138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / in a world where...
Offline
Posted 2/2/13 , edited 2/2/13
they removed comments awhile ago most likely for the very reason you stated, others post cheaper alternative sites and cheaper pricings.

we all know there is no "Deal" or "Saving Opportunity", only hype to get people to spend
28256 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / NJ
Offline
Posted 2/2/13 , edited 2/2/13
I agree that comments were removed due to the "negativity." People pointing out the price as being too high or the product being too old for selling...or sometimes just whinny people wanting something for free.

I have used the deal of the day quite a few times but just a rule to remember to check other sites and factor in shipping.

When it comes to Bluray/DVD for instance, I always check more reviews on the item and Amazon / Righstuf.com to compare pricing.

At least you got a good series on the way 10% is not the end of the world but just a little lesson.

EDIT: Just a quick look, this looks like the exact same sale going on Righstuf for it...probably with the shipping in it too . Amazon has it for $26.99 with free shipping if you have prime...still as I said you got something great on the way so its not bad at all.
Otter Modder
30592 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Florida
Online
Posted 2/2/13
You guys seem to be confused. They did not remove the comments, they just never added them to begin with. As you can see, the deal page is now an extension of the new store system, which does not have a comment section at all. If and when they decided to add some sort of comment system to the store, it will likely include the deal pages as well. I would be in favor of a review type section instead of a normal comment section myself.
22561 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Northern California
Online
Posted 2/2/13
In the meantime, this thread remains mostly ignored, but it's there nevertheless:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-786359/daily-deals-discussion
Ludono 
23065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / New Jersey
Offline
Posted 2/3/13

Spazticus wrote:

In the meantime, this thread remains mostly ignored, but it's there nevertheless:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-786359/daily-deals-discussion


Because its too out of the way. People won't go looking for a forum thread just to post about the DotD. They should add comments back in. Yes a lot of comments were people pointing out lower prices or something. But a lot of people were also recommending whatever was featured, and that factored into my buying decision quite often.
22561 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Northern California
Online
Posted 2/3/13

Ludono wrote:


Spazticus wrote:

In the meantime, this thread remains mostly ignored, but it's there nevertheless:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-786359/daily-deals-discussion


Because its too out of the way. People won't go looking for a forum thread just to post about the DotD. They should add comments back in. Yes a lot of comments were people pointing out lower prices or something. But a lot of people were also recommending whatever was featured, and that factored into my buying decision quite often.


I concur, and such comments would help determine if I bought a deal as well. My hope is that if enough attention is drawn to it, it might be made a sticky, until a comments/review section (or some other permanent alternative) gets implemented.
One Punch Mod
46199 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 2/3/13

Spazticus wrote:

I concur, and such comments would help determine if I bought a deal as well. My hope is that if enough attention is drawn to it, it might be made a sticky, until a comments/review section (or some other permanent alternative) gets implemented.


I agree. A sensible workaround for now would be to make the existing forum topic (http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-786359/daily-deals-discussion) sticky so it would be easier to find. I was actually looking for such a topic the other day, and didn't find it easily so didn't bother.
You must be logged in to post.