First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Who the most Shoneniness Hero EVER!?
3462 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 2/5/13

javiikyuu wrote:

I won't vote because this survey is so limited. Everyone needs to stop sucking on Goku's dick, he's the inspiration for battle royal shonen mangas, that's all. His personality is not what a shonen hero should have, neither Luffy's for that matter.. except the latter does have a badass attitude.. Still, a shonen hero should be a badass. The most fitting personality in my opinion would be the typical always antisocial and serious. From the list, I know only Ichigo is like that. However, I don't read or watch Bleach so I wouldn't really know. Having said that, there are other characters in other series that are much better examples of the perfect shonen hero. Take Eren Jaeger, Kazan, Inuyasha, Guts, Yusuke Urameshi, Spike Spiegel as a few examples.

I can't give my opinion on Ichigo and Natsu since I never got into their series but Luffy is far better character than Naruto and Goku by leaps and bounds.


Guts and Spike are NOT heroes. They're anti-heroes. And their respective series are seinens. Cool guys, though.
22131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / In The Meawdow of...
Offline
Posted 2/5/13

Hioshi10 wrote:


javiikyuu wrote:

I won't vote because this survey is so limited. Everyone needs to stop sucking on Goku's dick, he's the inspiration for battle royal shonen mangas, that's all. His personality is not what a shonen hero should have, neither Luffy's for that matter.. except the latter does have a badass attitude.. Still, a shonen hero should be a badass. The most fitting personality in my opinion would be the typical always antisocial and serious. From the list, I know only Ichigo is like that. However, I don't read or watch Bleach so I wouldn't really know. Having said that, there are other characters in other series that are much better examples of the perfect shonen hero. Take Eren Jaeger, Kazan, Inuyasha, Guts, Yusuke Urameshi, Spike Spiegel as a few examples.

I can't give my opinion on Ichigo and Natsu since I never got into their series but Luffy is far better character than Naruto and Goku by leaps and bounds.


LOL first you say that a shonen hero should be an antisocial and serious then you say that the childish Luffy is far better character than Naruto and Goku. btw Goku and Naruto grew and mature, luffy is still the same idiot with the same jokes.

You really are confused about something about shonen. The audience they target are mostly kids and teenagers and thats why personality like Goku, Naruto and Luffy have some similitudes like being funny and airhead because thats what KIDS like. You say that the most fitting personality should be the typical antisocial and serious. First, i think that you are trying to have a character with whom you identify. Second, that kind of characters can be found in Seinen and is in this gender where they belong.

I'll tell you something about how shonens are made nowadays and why always they are inspired in Dragon Ball

Personality

-Son Goku was airhead(Naruto, Natsu and Luffy)
-Son Goku really love to fight(Naruto, Natsu and Luffy)
-Son Goku was very good making friends(Naruto, Natsu and Luffy)
-Son Goku never give up(Naruto, Natsu and Luffy)
-Son Goku will do whatever it takes to protect someone(Naruto, Natsu and Luffy)
-Son Goku love eating((Naruto and Luffy)
-More...

Secundary Characters

Goku's friends

-Dragonball had a baddass(Zoro, Laxus and Itachi)
-Dragonball had a pervert(Sanji, Jiraiya, Loke)
-Dragonball had a coward(Ussop, Sasuke and a lot of Fairy tail random members)
-Dragonball had a smart person(Robin, Levy, Shikamaru)
-Dragonball had the timid type(Chopper, Hinata, Wendy)
-More....


Storyline

All shonens are basically like this:

The bad guys are stronger than the good ones in the beginning. They kick the good ones asses and then they get their asses kicked at the end.


There are more but i really don't wanna waste my time in this because i think i made a point here.


Just because he says he thinks anti-social characters are better doesn't mean he can't say Luffy is better than Naruto and Goku. I would also say anti-heroes would be better, it would be refreshing and kids and teens may like it, it's not uncommon. Kids like all sorts of things, you can stereotype ALL the children in the world. I know I sometimes hated characters like that, but sometimes thought the cold characters were assholes. You should always be able to identify with the hero or at least understand them, otherwise why is the hero the hero?

Let's admit...Luffy did go through a lot with his bro's death and he is a good hero but just because he's still happy and makes jokes he's stupid? >___> Let's say this, not all Shonen are like that just the POPULAR ones just stick out. Like Magi Labyrinth of Magic, Aladdin is totally different but mostly he is a child that is implied to be in a some room for more than 100 of years. Sasuke isn't a coward either,
fact it's the opposite. Half of the time that guy is on some sort of suicide mission to avenge his clan and WIPE OUT Konoha. I wouldn't call that cowardly. Your stereotyping doesn't make sense when you compare the series you just named, like Itachi and Zoro and Laxus? They don't have very similar personalities at all as Sanji, Jiraiya, and Loke are quite different even though, only similar for their love for women. This is used in everyday Shonen and before not just Dragonball those are just common stereotypes and I bet you can even find some common stereotypes in English comics and books and even the word.
11237 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Perú
Offline
Posted 2/5/13

ShiverGirl wrote:
Just because he says he thinks anti-social characters are better doesn't mean he can't say Luffy is better than Naruto and Goku. I would also say anti-heroes would be better, it would be refreshing and kids and teens may like it, it's not uncommon. Kids like all sorts of things, you can stereotype ALL the children in the world. I know I sometimes hated characters like that, but sometimes thought the cold characters were assholes. You should always be able to identify with the hero or at least understand them, otherwise why is the hero the hero?

Let's admit...Luffy did go through a lot with his bro's death and he is a good hero but just because he's still happy and makes jokes he's stupid? >___> Let's say this, not all Shonen are like that just the POPULAR ones just stick out. Like Magi Labyrinth of Magic, Aladdin is totally different but mostly he is a child that is implied to be in a some room for more than 100 of years. Sasuke isn't a coward either,
fact it's the opposite. Half of the time that guy is on some sort of suicide mission to avenge his clan and WIPE OUT Konoha. I wouldn't call that cowardly. Your stereotyping doesn't make sense when you compare the series you just named, like Itachi and Zoro and Laxus? They don't have very similar personalities at all as Sanji, Jiraiya, and Loke are quite different even though, only similar for their love for women. This is used in everyday Shonen and before not just Dragonball those are just common stereotypes and I bet you can even find some common stereotypes in English comics and books and even the word.


We are talking about Shonen if you want the antisocial type try Seinen. Because Shonen audience are mostly kids or teenagers and i know i can't say all kids like that kind of character but i'm pretty sure that most of them do. Luffy is the same even after he was involved in events that had a huge impact in his life, is like seeing Pokemon. And i didn't said they all are just the same i was just showing the part of their personality that stands out more. Eiichiro Oda said countless times that he was a huge Akira Toriyama's fan and that he was inspired by his work.


Sasuke is a pussy.
22086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / US
Offline
Posted 2/5/13 , edited 2/5/13
Why are we even discussing this? The choice is obvious. Goku is the definition of shonen! He saved the world more times than anyone, he destroyed more bad guys than you can count, heck, he even has a bad guy as a rival and a friend. Heck, he even fought a planet destroyer and nearly defeated him on a planet that was dying and somehow still survived! Not to mentioned he's died and came back more than any anime character I've seen (yes, even more than Ichigo. There's a difference between transcending the physical/spiritual realm and actually dying and coming back).

The other characters are cool but Goku was much of an inspiration for many of these characters we have now
15717 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/5/13
GOKU
34553 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 2/5/13
I think by default goku is the most shounen because he defined it basically (unless there was a previous person that started the shounen hero archetype?). Regardless of if newer characters are better, they are derivatives of goku and by definition not as shounen as him, lol (again, if goku defined the shounen hero...).
959 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / California
Offline
Posted 2/5/13 , edited 2/5/13
The most Shoneniness Hero? From the American standpoint,

It gotta be Goku. Before I ever heard of Bleach, Naruto, One Peace or ever heard of Anime I was already watching Dragon Ball. Goku is a global character. Shoninen anime popularity owe it success to Dragon Ball series. Most older fan of American sub/dub anime would recognized Goku if they ever walk by it. Most adult probably would not recognized Luffy, Naruto, or Ichigo. A reason for that is because before there was a fearless Naruto there was a Goku. Before there was a airhead Luffy there was Goku. Before there was a defender of justice Ichigo there was Goku. You can find the soul of Dragon Ball in these new shonenin character.
The reason Natsu is not part of the conversion is because it is too new to be compare to the other four. The impact of Fariy Tail should not be included, because as Luffy, Ichigo, and Naruto is to Goku; Natsu was probably generated from Luffy.

I think the meaning of "most shoneniness hero ever" is infer to a hero character that is love even after it gone. BTW Dragon Ball is still not out yet. It popularity has generate a remake of the series aka Dragon Ball Kai.

To: H3ctor87
Not to doubt it popularity, but Yu Yu Hakuhso is not a fit comparison to Dragon Ball. I have never heard of Yu Yu Hakuhso until I was 15. I think YuGiOh would take the cake if it is compare to Yu Yu Hakuhso. If you put out two photo of the two anime and see who is more recognized YuGiOh would be your choice. Heck, even Pokemon would of been a better choice.
22131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / In The Meawdow of...
Offline
Posted 2/6/13

Hioshi10 wrote:


ShiverGirl wrote:
Just because he says he thinks anti-social characters are better doesn't mean he can't say Luffy is better than Naruto and Goku. I would also say anti-heroes would be better, it would be refreshing and kids and teens may like it, it's not uncommon. Kids like all sorts of things, you can stereotype ALL the children in the world. I know I sometimes hated characters like that, but sometimes thought the cold characters were assholes. You should always be able to identify with the hero or at least understand them, otherwise why is the hero the hero?

Let's admit...Luffy did go through a lot with his bro's death and he is a good hero but just because he's still happy and makes jokes he's stupid? >___> Let's say this, not all Shonen are like that just the POPULAR ones just stick out. Like Magi Labyrinth of Magic, Aladdin is totally different but mostly he is a child that is implied to be in a some room for more than 100 of years. Sasuke isn't a coward either,
fact it's the opposite. Half of the time that guy is on some sort of suicide mission to avenge his clan and WIPE OUT Konoha. I wouldn't call that cowardly. Your stereotyping doesn't make sense when you compare the series you just named, like Itachi and Zoro and Laxus? They don't have very similar personalities at all as Sanji, Jiraiya, and Loke are quite different even though, only similar for their love for women. This is used in everyday Shonen and before not just Dragonball those are just common stereotypes and I bet you can even find some common stereotypes in English comics and books and even the word.


We are talking about Shonen if you want the antisocial type try Seinen. Because Shonen audience are mostly kids or teenagers and i know i can't say all kids like that kind of character but i'm pretty sure that most of them do. Luffy is the same even after he was involved in events that had a huge impact in his life, is like seeing Pokemon. And i didn't said they all are just the same i was just showing the part of their personality that stands out more. Eiichiro Oda said countless times that he was a huge Akira Toriyama's fan and that he was inspired by his work.


Sasuke is a pussy.


I know that. Actually Shonen isn't even a genre. I don't want try anything as Seinen can have the EXACT same characters as Shonen and still be successful as it can be with Shonen. It's not the character, it's the story. If you have goo story and compelling characters or good ones, then you can succeed. As all the series have done but followed the happy go lucky stereotype.

Have you even read what Pokemon is actually based off of? The anime is just for money, of course there's no development. Luffy did change, don't even joke. Compared to the beginning he may have still have been somewhat kiddish but he grew up, and so did Naruto and Goku. It may have not been horribly major, but Luffy did change. I was saying, just because those were influenced by DG, doesn't mean the characters are inspired by them. I'd say most of them are common stereotypes not influences except Naruto and Luffy.

Just because you hate Sasuke doesn't make him a coward. He has the guts and craziness to try and kill the Kages, and try to destroy Konoha and let the whole world basically call him a terrorist....we can for sure say he isn't a coward.
3211 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Vancouver,British...
Offline
Posted 2/6/13
GOKUUUUUUU<3
150 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/6/13
Well i don't know too much about this but i think Dragon Ball is pure shonen(that's why i didn't finish seeing it) and after this anime is One Piece. Why no Naruto, Bleach and Fairy Tail? they are shonen but go beyond it and are not pure as those i mentioned.


Don't argue about this kind of thing, it's all matter of taste.
22956 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Here and now, Ete...
Offline
Posted 2/6/13
Toriko? Kenshiro? Joseph Joestar? Come on, I mean no disrespect to fairy tail, its constantly one of my Favourite anime since its been aird, but if he gets in, then these icons should get in also.

I'm going with Goku, regardless, mind you. Everyone on your list just wishes that they were Goku.
Out of the fresh-faced shounen heroes of the modern day, I'd probably go with Luffy/Natsu.
24725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Urban South
Offline
Posted 2/6/13

ShiverGirl wrote:
I would also say anti-heroes would be better, it would be refreshing and kids and teens may like it, it's not uncommon.


Good point, and Souske is a perfect example of an antihero. However, the question isn't about antiheroes, but the most shounen-iest hero. Featuring antiheroes as the protagonist or main character is a characteristic of seinen manga/anime, but not shounen. It's not so much a matter of age or taste as it is a matter of genre, and Toriyama Akira popularized the shounen genre with Dragonball. Son Goku is a hero and Vegeta is an antihero, and Souske is more appropriately compared to Vegeta than to Goku.

Considering that Son Goku set the standard against which all later shounen heroes are measured, then the answer is clear - Son Goku is the most shounen-iest hero. This doesn't mean he is the best, or the most interesting, just that he is the definitive shounen hero.

Please don't stay mad about last night and flame me again. I promised the mods I would would not provoke arguments for a while.
One Punch Mod
44160 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 9/22/13
OP nuked. locked and closed.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.