First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Korean High School and looking pretty
11237 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Perú
Offline
Posted 2/5/13
"Beauty outside ourselves is truly an illusion"

"...beauty is an illusion because objects themselves are not beautiful. They simply remind us of the beauty within us. The lie is that the beauty is intrinsic to the object, but the truth is that beauty is intrinsic to you. This truth brings more meaning to the statement: "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Love and beauty cannot be separated. It can be said that an object that makes us feel emotions pertaining to beauty in actuality is also helping us feel loving emotions. Beautiful objects, people or making ourselves appear more beautiful is an attempt to increase the love within our own hearts. This makes us feel more loved."

http://highertruths.blogspot.com/2012/04/illusion-of-beauty.html


Success is always a reward for hard work, but having a good work, money and beauty is just a part of it.
Posted 2/5/13 , edited 2/5/13
Hmmm.... I watched the documentary... and the lesson was an English lesson. The English Teacher picked the topic of "What it means to be beautiful in Korea", she's just asking the Korean students their opinions on what it means to be beautiful in Korea - it was like an English conversation class based on that topic...

It was not a lesson teaching the students on what is beautiful and what is not, THEREFORE I find this thread to be absolutely misleading.

The Korean students told the English teacher (who's not even Asian) that they find "Vanessa Hudgens" beautiful because she has big eyes.
It's pretty standard knowledge to everyone in the world that most Asian people are obsessed with double eyelid and big eyes and fair skin.
I don't think "schools" taught this to them, it's the Asian society that tells them that "big eyes" are beautiful and "fair skin" is beautiful.


Just like in Western societies, the teenagers are taught that skinny is beautiful and being a tanorexic because of the society and Western media. The same way in Korea, the media and its society influenced those High School students to think big eyes and fair skin are beautiful.


I know this, because I came from an Asian country and have studied in an Asian country -- I was never taught that fair skin is beautiful and whatnot, but my family (my mum and sister) is obsessed with staying white.

Something I could never understand, maybe because I'm male and I don't care about getting tanned.

Like whenever I ask my mum to go to the beach, she would always say, "No I'm not going, scared of getting dark" -- which I find to be hilarious... Western people want to be dark, but Asian people want to stay pale.
Posted 2/5/13

mhibicke wrote:

American students are stupid and lazy. Many enter college without understanding elementary math or how to write a complete sentence. I know this because I taught introductory chemistry and general biology for a year at a state college, and some of my adult students functioned about as well as my eight year old does now. The fact that they were able to graduate from public high school and will likely earn a college degree is both mysterious and depressing.

American students also can't tolerate criticism, even when it is helpfully made and they could learn a lot from it. I've seen college students literally run out of the room crying because they were told to re-write their incorrect answer. So pathetic.

Koreans may have taken high school to the extreme, but there is a lot of value in learning discipline and perseverance at an early age. As to the suicide rate, I wonder how it compares to the suicide rate of American LGBT teens. I don't get the reasoning behind the appearance classes, but there is a lot of stuff I don't understand.

The eye glue I totally get. I think it is a great idea! It looks like it's just the same kind of latex glue used for fake eyelashes, so it's non-toxic (unless you have a latex allergy) and peels off. I like how you can get different eye shapes by using different patterns of glue. I also wonder how long it will actually stick like that and whether I could use a similar strategy on my (non-asian) eyes to open them up and make them look bigger. I suspect that I'll just make a gluey sticky mess.


I think you're one of the biggest wankers that has appeared on this site in a very long time.

Personally, I'm Brit. Our schools aren't that great either. And yet, like American school - we get on, and we're able to keep up with the world and the world's stage. We might not learn as much as kids in Asia, and our schooling is far more relaxed but we still do well once out in the real world without living in a country where the majority of people are unhappy, where the pressure is so extreme your entire life, where people really wish their dramas are real because reality is so bland - no, I think we're better off despite our limitations.

And for a person who talks so big, you're very rude and demeaning.

Take your worship of Korea somewhere else mate.
Posted 2/5/13

magicuser360 wrote:


mhibicke wrote:

American students are stupid and lazy. Many enter college without understanding elementary math or how to write a complete sentence. I know this because I taught introductory chemistry and general biology for a year at a state college, and some of my adult students functioned about as well as my eight year old does now. The fact that they were able to graduate from public high school and will likely earn a college degree is both mysterious and depressing.

American students also can't tolerate criticism, even when it is helpfully made and they could learn a lot from it. I've seen college students literally run out of the room crying because they were told to re-write their incorrect answer. So pathetic.

Koreans may have taken high school to the extreme, but there is a lot of value in learning discipline and perseverance at an early age. As to the suicide rate, I wonder how it compares to the suicide rate of American LGBT teens. I don't get the reasoning behind the appearance classes, but there is a lot of stuff I don't understand.

The eye glue I totally get. I think it is a great idea! It looks like it's just the same kind of latex glue used for fake eyelashes, so it's non-toxic (unless you have a latex allergy) and peels off. I like how you can get different eye shapes by using different patterns of glue. I also wonder how long it will actually stick like that and whether I could use a similar strategy on my (non-asian) eyes to open them up and make them look bigger. I suspect that I'll just make a gluey sticky mess.


I think you're one of the biggest wankers that has appeared on this site in a very long time.

Personally, I'm Brit. Our schools aren't that great either. And yet, like an American school - we get on, and we're able to keep up with the world and the world's stage. We might not learn as much as kids in Asia, and our schooling is far more relaxed but we still do well once out in the real world without living in a country where the majority of people are unhappy, where the pressure is so extreme your entire life, where people really wish their dramas are real because reality is so bland - no, I think we're better off despite our limitations.

And for a person who talks so big, you're very rude and demeaning.

Take your worship of Korea somewhere else mate.


39825 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Urban South
Offline
Posted 2/5/13

magicuser360 wrote:


I think you're one of the biggest wankers that has appeared on this site in a very long time.

Personally, I'm Brit. Our schools aren't that great either. And yet, like American school - we get on, and we're able to keep up with the world and the world's stage. We might not learn as much as kids in Asia, and our schooling is far more relaxed but we still do well once out in the real world without living in a country where the majority of people are unhappy, where the pressure is so extreme your entire life, where people really wish their dramas are real because reality is so bland - no, I think we're better off despite our limitations.

And for a person who talks so big, you're very rude and demeaning.

Take your worship of Korea somewhere else mate.


Oh, how the flame makes me cry! I may drown myself in an ocean of tears because I've been called a rude, demeaning wanker with a Korea complex. I'll admit to being rude and demeaning, but neither character flaw makes my statements incorrect.

Please realize that calling me names won't hurt my feelings or make my statements about American students any less true. Your defensive anger is pointless and unjustified, likely as a result of your poor comprehensive reading skills. Additionally, your personal attack on me has given evidence to my statements by providing an example, albeit from a different country.
43921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 2/5/13

mhibicke wrote:


magicuser360 wrote:


I think you're one of the biggest wankers that has appeared on this site in a very long time.

Personally, I'm Brit. Our schools aren't that great either. And yet, like American school - we get on, and we're able to keep up with the world and the world's stage. We might not learn as much as kids in Asia, and our schooling is far more relaxed but we still do well once out in the real world without living in a country where the majority of people are unhappy, where the pressure is so extreme your entire life, where people really wish their dramas are real because reality is so bland - no, I think we're better off despite our limitations.

And for a person who talks so big, you're very rude and demeaning.

Take your worship of Korea somewhere else mate.


Oh, how the flame makes me cry! I may drown myself in an ocean of tears because I've been called a rude, demeaning wanker with a Korea complex. I'll admit to being rude and demeaning, but neither character flaw makes my statements incorrect.

Please realize that calling me names won't hurt my feelings or make my statements about American students any less true. Your defensive anger is pointless and unjustified, likely as a result of your poor comprehensive reading skills. Additionally, your personal attack on me has given evidence to my statements by providing an example, albeit from a different country.


Generalizing all American students, just because you had a bad experience at one college doesn't make your statement correct.
39825 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Urban South
Offline
Posted 2/5/13

kaamaru wrote:

Generalizing all American students, just because you had a bad experience at one college doesn't make your statement correct.


You're right, empirical data is more trustworthy than personal experiences, and I did make a generalized, unsubstantiated statement about American students. I am interested in how you will refute it.
Posted 2/5/13
How stressful
Posted 2/5/13 , edited 2/5/13
I am sure there is no shortage of lazy students in America ,or just about any other country for that matter, but for all the lazy students there are also the excellent students. I do not know what the ratio is though.

As for not being able to take criticism, if your sharp tongue on theses forums is any indication of the criticism you were giving out then I could see why some student might have issues. After all, criticism when presented bluntly can be seen by many as an attack, even if the intent is helpful. Once perceived as an attack the response is emotional and defensive rather than rational, so even if the criticism is valid it will probably be discounted.
That aside, there are a whole host of legitimate issues that might make someone overly sensitive to criticism e.g people with low self-esteem.
43921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 2/5/13

mhibicke wrote:


kaamaru wrote:

Generalizing all American students, just because you had a bad experience at one college doesn't make your statement correct.


You're right, empirical data is more trustworthy than personal experiences, and I did make a generalized, unsubstantiated statement about American students. I am interested in how you will refute it.


Well to prove that not all American Students are stupid and lazy, all you would have to do is go to some of the top American Universities. If All American students were stupid, it would not be possible for America to advance in science, technology, etc. They do, so it's not possible your statement is correct. If you look around Crunchyroll or somewhere else on the internet, you can see many Americans with good English and intelligence which again proves your statement is incorrect.

As for American students also can't tolerate criticism, I can't prove that though I'm sure if you told 100 American students they were doing a maths problem wrong, not all of them would disagree.
39825 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Urban South
Offline
Posted 2/5/13

kaamaru wrote:

Well to prove that not all American Students are stupid and lazy, all you would have to do is go to some of the top American Universities. If All American students were stupid, it would not be possible for America to advance in science, technology, etc. They do, so it's not possible your statement is correct. If you look around Crunchyroll or somewhere else on the internet, you can see many Americans with good English and intelligence which again proves your statement is incorrect.

As for American students also can't tolerate criticism, I can't prove that though I'm sure if you told 100 American students they were doing a maths problem wrong, not all of them would disagree.


You have some good points, but they are also generalized and unsubstantiated. The presence of good students does not negate the existence of lazy, stupid students. Good students will exist in every nation, but the curve is set lower in America than in other countries due to the dichotomy between the high-scoring students and the low-scoring students. Our high-scoring students perform exceptionally well, and America produces a greater percentage of high-scoring students than many countries that outperform us with average scores. However, our low-scoring students are so plentiful and score much lower than their international cohorts that they drag down the mean score by a significant amount. What this means is that America invests heavily in the a small percentage of students, but that the vast majority are neglected, both financially and philosophically.

Using a semantic technical argument, because the vast majority of American students underachieve to such an extent as to throw our mean curve so far to the left, the vast majority of American students can be described as stupid and lazy.

I have included some links for articles comparing American students with international standards and speculating on our results
http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/feb93/vol50/num05/Why-Asian-Students-Still-Outdistance-Americans.aspx
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/11/international-tests-show-_n_2273134.html
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/40544897/ns/us_news-life/t/wake-up-call-us-students-trail-global-leaders/%23.UQq8KqGfjiQ#.URFZK6VEGSo
http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/newsletters/0216_brown_education_loveless.pdf
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/11/prweb8997367.htm
http://www.greatschools.org/students/academic-skills/1075-u-s-students-compare.gs
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/answer-sheet/standardized-tests/so-what-if-the-us-is-not-no-1.html


Posted 2/5/13

mhibicke wrote:


magicuser360 wrote:


I think you're one of the biggest wankers that has appeared on this site in a very long time.

Personally, I'm Brit. Our schools aren't that great either. And yet, like American school - we get on, and we're able to keep up with the world and the world's stage. We might not learn as much as kids in Asia, and our schooling is far more relaxed but we still do well once out in the real world without living in a country where the majority of people are unhappy, where the pressure is so extreme your entire life, where people really wish their dramas are real because reality is so bland - no, I think we're better off despite our limitations.

And for a person who talks so big, you're very rude and demeaning.

Take your worship of Korea somewhere else mate.


Oh, how the flame makes me cry! I may drown myself in an ocean of tears because I've been called a rude, demeaning wanker with a Korea complex. I'll admit to being rude and demeaning, but neither character flaw makes my statements incorrect.

Please realize that calling me names won't hurt my feelings or make my statements about American students any less true. Your defensive anger is pointless and unjustified, likely as a result of your poor comprehensive reading skills. Additionally, your personal attack on me has given evidence to my statements by providing an example, albeit from a different country.


Nope, not here to hurt your feelings or whatnot; but rather, to state my opinion of you. I really don't care if you toss out my comment against you, or if you pass it off in a sardonic manner and with deliberate sarcasm. And no, I'm not angry either - stating an opinion that does not agree with yours does not make me "angry".

I think if all things, you are doing all the attacking here.

With every post you make, you're just further proving my point. By all means, please continue - it is most entertaining.


28514 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Delaware
Online
Posted 2/5/13 , edited 2/5/13

mhibicke wrote:

American students are stupid and lazy. Many enter college without understanding elementary math or how to write a complete sentence. I know this because I taught introductory chemistry and general biology for a year at a state college, and some of my adult students functioned about as well as my eight year old does now. The fact that they were able to graduate from public high school and will likely earn a college degree is both mysterious and depressing.

American students also can't tolerate criticism, even when it is helpfully made and they could learn a lot from it. I've seen college students literally run out of the room crying because they were told to re-write their incorrect answer. So pathetic.

Koreans may have taken high school to the extreme, but there is a lot of value in learning discipline and perseverance at an early age. As to the suicide rate, I wonder how it compares to the suicide rate of American LGBT teens. I don't get the reasoning behind the appearance classes, but there is a lot of stuff I don't understand.


This may be true at the college you teach at or just you're own predisposition. But I don't think it's fair to say ALL American students are stupid and lazy, especially without any evidence to support this. You should rephrase that statement to being, "All American students I've encountered are...". Or could it be that you're directing your frustration for your ineptness or justifying your apathy by placing blame on your students for being, as you say, "stupid and lazy"? Must be comforting to believe that your not at fault for any of your student's failures and ignorance.
Banned
31569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / The Void.
Offline
Posted 2/5/13
I'm so stoned.
Revolver Dogelot
72936 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / somewhere that is...
Offline
Posted 2/5/13 , edited 2/5/13

mhibicke wrote:I'm glad you can write a complete sentence, but your self-evaluation needs some work.

I am also glad they, and you, can write complete sentences as well. However you are stepping up to a fairly slippery slope now. While I even agree with some of the points you made in your post I have to caution you that there are multiple ways of delivering every message.

I know it isn't calculus or physics but a wise man once said "You can lure more bees with honey than with vinegar". So while I feel your points are valid in many ways you have to understand that your delivery is perhaps slightly on the blunt side. So if the discussion goes further I kindly ask that you try to measure your feelings about the average American college student.


tehstud wrote:Must be comforting to believe that your not at fault for any of your student's failures and ignorance.


I am also going to extend this advice to you Stud. Let's keep it clean.

Forum Rules: http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-777725/cr-forum-rules
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.