First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Your innate hypocrisy.
3088 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/7/13
I believe that every human with any sort of consciousness and cognitive embracement is a hypocrite in some way, shape, or form. It's just a matter of whether you are honest enough with yourself and admit it.

I'm an atheist. I choose not to believe in any sort of deity or omnipotent, all seeing being. I question how anyone could believe in one sometimes. But I have recently decided to question myself: how can anyone not believe in one? What is really the difference between believers and non-believers, other than the obvious? Neither of us posses any factual evidence to our claim. And being a person who embraces logic and facts, this makes me a hypocrite.

So I ask you, what sort of double standard do you exercise?
4427 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 2/7/13
I am a man; yet I have boobies. Moobies.
15000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Norway, Oslo
Offline
Posted 2/7/13
Well no one can prove that a god exist, yet it can`t be proven that he doesnt. Even so, lets assume he does exist. Based on how much death and tragedy there is in this world, should people really love him?
953 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / england
Offline
Posted 2/7/13
I don't think your example makes you a hypocrite as logic is on your side. I'm not saying that there is definately no diety just there probably isn't. Christianity as it is widely known can be disproven as it states man is only 6000 years old. I don't really know enough about other religions to state anything definitive but unless you've had personal experience with something spiritual (even then you have to question whether you trust what you've seen/felt to be real) then it's better to assume that it doesn't exist, after all anyone can say anything exists and how can you prove something doesn't exist?

My little bit hypocrisy is that even though I've said all that about a diety I still believe certain things I haven't experienced/seen first hand such as: carbon dating, DNA, etc...
37266 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 2/7/13 , edited 2/7/13

Kikusui10 wrote:

Well no one can prove that a god exist, yet it can`t be proven that he doesnt. Even so, lets assume he does exist. Based on how much death and tragedy there is in this world, should people really love him?


Based on how much death, yeah. You get to leave the shithole and move on to the place with open bars for eternity. Going to heaven is often considered a form of enlightenment, and it's difficult to argue that you can understand life without at least having an idea of death. As for tragedy, I feel like it's a perfectly legitimate argument to claim that knowledge of the wrong fosters an appreciation of the right. It's basically an extension of the argument that death is good. Plus, Tragedy is probably my favorite form of entertainment, so I'm happy to have it around. So yeah, people can still love a God under the considerations of death and tragedy.

That said, as someone that doesn't believe in a God, I do have problems with other parts of theology, but I'd rather not get into it. I've argued theology way too many times, and I'm pretty burnt out with it, so I'd rather not turn in a major discussion here. I just thought I'd answer your question.

As for the topic, my hypocrisy is as normal as anyone else's. I have a big problem with lies (which by definition, are in direct contrast with truth), yet I lie even about meaningless and mundane things out of habit. Sometimes I'll finish lying about something, and just say "Shit, that's not true. I'm sorry, I just felt like bullshitting you for some reason. Forget I said that."
3088 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/7/13 , edited 2/7/13

quaser666 wrote:

I don't think your example makes you a hypocrite as logic is on your side. I'm not saying that there is definately no diety just there probably isn't. Christianity as it is widely known can be disproven as it states man is only 6000 years old. I don't really know enough about other religions to state anything definitive but unless you've had personal experience with something spiritual (even then you have to question whether you trust what you've seen/felt to be real) then it's better to assume that it doesn't exist, after all anyone can say anything exists and how can you prove something doesn't exist?

My little bit hypocrisy is that even though I've said all that about a diety I still believe certain things I haven't experienced/seen first hand such as: carbon dating, DNA, etc...


Interesting thoughts. Even with logic on my side, there are no hard facts. That's what I was trying to get at. I can hold my laptop over my head and let go of it. I know it will fall. It will fall and hit my head. That is fact, and I can prove it. I can in know way prove that God does not exist. It is both illogical and logical fr God to exist, so I don't believe logic saves me from being hypocritical.

Christianity is joke, however, I agree.

I share that one with you. I haven't seen my DNA before. lol


theYchromosome wrote:

As for the topic, my hypocrisy is as normal as anyone else's. I have a big problem with lies (which by definition, are in direct contrast with truth), yet I lie even about meaningless and mundane things out of habit. Sometimes I'll finish lying about something, and just say "Shit, that's not true. I'm sorry, I just felt like bullshitting you for some reason. Forget I said that."



There's another one that everyone carries with them. We talk down upon liars, yet we lie everyday.
25729 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Urban South
Offline
Posted 2/7/13
Public displays of affection gross me out, but only when straight people do it. I recognize that this is strange, but I can't help being physically repulsed. I don't care what they do behind closed doors, but I don't want to see it.
3088 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/7/13

mhibicke wrote:

Public displays of affection gross me out, but only when straight people do it. I recognize that this is strange, but I can't help being physically repulsed. I don't care what they do behind closed doors, but I don't want to see it.


So you've nothing against homosexual's embracing in public?
25729 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Urban South
Offline
Posted 2/7/13

DetectiveAlex wrote:


mhibicke wrote:

Public displays of affection gross me out, but only when straight people do it. I recognize that this is strange, but I can't help being physically repulsed. I don't care what they do behind closed doors, but I don't want to see it.


So you've nothing against homosexual's embracing in public?


Doesn't bother me a bit.
Posted 2/7/13
It makes me sad that I don't believe in the Christian religion anymore,
since I grew up on it and went to catechism.
You'd have to be real ignorant to abide by one religion and one way of living
just in fear that your "God" will strike down upon you.
When did I draw the line? I started reading up on different religions,
they all made sense in a way, and they all had flaws and I felt a strong conviction about them.
I believe in certain things that I have seen with my own eyes or experienced.
Most of all science really opened my eyes to possibilities.

What makes the non-believers and believers different?
When you say believer I think, someone who does not believe in any possible spiritual existence.

A believer
Someone with an open mind
Came to the conclusion that science alone could not have been the only factor.
A spiritual person.

A non-believer
Sides with science.
Nothing happens after death,
A closed mind.

Everything has a little truth in it. You just have to find your own.


Posted 2/7/13
I don't understand why people need to question other people's believes to validate their own convictions. I really don't care what anyone believes, my religion and my God is everything to me. In any case, discontentment makes on quite the frightful.
16750 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Gilbert, AZ
Offline
Posted 2/7/13
I'm openly hypocritical on many things, starting with the simple fact that various things, when done by other people, infuriate me, but when I do those things myself, I see nothing wrong with it. A recent, rather tame example, of one such thing, which was irritating, but not infuriating, would be when I was playing a game with my brother. I was all "Don't kill the boss without me~", and then he died and I delivered the final blow to the boss. I had time to stop, I could've run around long enough for him to get back, but I didn't. *Shrugs* Everyone is a hypocrite about SOMETHING.
3088 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/7/13 , edited 2/7/13

Nyuboom wrote:

It makes me sad that I don't believe in the Christian religion anymore,
since I grew up on it and went to catechism.
You'd have to be real ignorant to abide by one religion and one way of living
just in fear that your "God" will strike down upon you.
When did I draw the line? I started reading up on different religions,
they all made sense in a way, and they all had flaws and I felt a strong conviction about them.
I believe in certain things that I have seen with my own eyes or experienced.
Most of all science really opened my eyes to possibilities.

What makes the non-believers and believers different?
When you say believer I think, someone who does not believe in any possible spiritual existence.

A believer
Someone with an open mind
Came to the conclusion that science alone could not have been the only factor.
A spiritual person.

A non-believer
Sides with science.
Nothing happens after death,
A closed mind.

Everything has a little truth in it. You just have to find your own.




I strongly disagree with the bold text.

An open minded person is anyone who is accepting to ideas that are rejected by many. Now don't confuse accepting with agreeing. For example, the first example of a close minded person I can think of is Mitt Romney. He stands against social progression. I am a non-believer, and I am not close minded. I know plenty of theist who are not close minded.

So I really disagree with the notion stating that your religious affiliation determines how open or close minded you are. It's kind of ridiculous to be honest.


Randonsky wrote:

I don't understand why people need to question other people's believes to validate their own convictions. I really don't care what anyone believes, my religion and my God is everything to me. In any case, discontentment makes on quite the frightful.


I don't think many people do that. What you see in this discussion are not attempts at validating beliefs, but attempts to understand. I want to understand why people believe in God, so I ask around. It is in no way an attempt to justify to myself, why I don't believe. Merely a way to expand my field of knowledge.
Posted 2/7/13

DetectiveAlex wrote:


Nyuboom wrote:

It makes me sad that I don't believe in the Christian religion anymore,
since I grew up on it and went to catechism.
You'd have to be real ignorant to abide by one religion and one way of living
just in fear that your "God" will strike down upon you.
When did I draw the line? I started reading up on different religions,
they all made sense in a way, and they all had flaws and I felt a strong conviction about them.
I believe in certain things that I have seen with my own eyes or experienced.
Most of all science really opened my eyes to possibilities.

What makes the non-believers and believers different?
When you say believer I think, someone who does not believe in any possible spiritual existence.

A believer
Someone with an open mind
Came to the conclusion that science alone could not have been the only factor.
A spiritual person.

A non-believer
Sides with science.
Nothing happens after death,
A closed mind.

Everything has a little truth in it. You just have to find your own.




I strongly disagree with the bold text.

An open minded person is anyone who is accepting to ideas that are rejected by many. Now don't confuse accepting with agreeing. For example, the first example of a close minded person I can think of is Mitt Romney. He stands against social progression. I am a non-believer, and I am not close minded. I know plenty of theist who are not close minded.

So I really disagree with the notion stating that your religious affiliation determines how open or close minded you are. It's kind of ridiculous to be honest.


You already closed your mind to believing in anything spiritual did you not? There-fore close minded. Baka.

3088 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/7/13

Nyuboom wrote:

You already closed your mind to believing in anything spiritual did you not? There-fore close minded. Baka.



So going by your logic, you closed your mind to science by believing spirituality, did you not? And hence, your innate hypocrisy has been found. And mine too. See? Isn't this fun? We're all hypocrites.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.