First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Jeremy Rifkin: The Empathic Civilization
Banned
31571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / The Void.
Offline
Posted 2/7/13
"The Empathic Civilization" author Jeremy Rifkin will explain how society needs to shift in order to embrace its empathic nature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YfXyNg8bTU&list=FL2o4gnHzZdBBsMSA3AFeyUQ
Posted 2/7/13 , edited 2/7/13
LOL Rifkin!

Dude's a dystopian nutball who's been proven wrong time and time again. He raises SOME good points (that's stretching things) but in terms of people that buy his "post-society/anti-city/bioquackery"

http://reason.com/archives/2006/12/22/the-lingering-stench-of-malthu


http://opinion.financialpost.com/2011/10/11/peter-foster-rifkin-wrong-and-wronger/


http://www.consumerfreedom.com/2003/11/2239-activistcash-profiles-pseudo-intellectual-jeremy-rifkin/




Banned
33167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Stoke, England
Offline
Posted 2/7/13
Lainfixie is right. Vega believes everything he sees and reads.
Posted 2/7/13 , edited 2/7/13
So because no one knows me my points are invalid?

I am also not attacking Vega, I am attacking the bullcrap he posts.


Vega made a good post earlier that I agreed with, you cannot deny facts because whether you deny them or not, they are still true. I believe wholeheartedly in this, however I do not believe in complete bullshit and bollocks that seems to be his every post. Which should actually belong in the "extended discussion" section of the Lifestyle forum.


18204 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 2/7/13

CarboKill wrote:

Lainfixie is right. Vega believes everything he sees and reads.


thug life.
4020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 2/7/13

-Vega- wrote:

"The Empathic Civilization" author Jeremy Rifkin will explain how society needs to shift in order to embrace its empathic nature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YfXyNg8bTU&list=FL2o4gnHzZdBBsMSA3AFeyUQ


Another page on Rifkin, http://fanaticforjesus.blogspot.com/2010/10/jeremy-rifkin-spooky-dude-3.html
Posted 2/7/13 , edited 2/7/13
I read psychology but I am not a psychologist. I do genuinely care for people's mental health states as I have actually had a friend who read into all this nonsense science crap commit suicide believing that there was a higher mystic force and that he solved why we are here (He was diagnosed as schizo and stopped taking meds and reclused into doing nothing but researching nonsense like this up until he decided to take a bunch of pills and go to sleep forever.)

I hate seeing misinformation get spread, and feel a need to correct them as it's always good to educate and learn new things daily.

I have no malicious intent towards anyone here, nor do I call for solitary confinement for anyone either. I just think we could all possibly be happier if crap like 99% of vega's pseudoscience posts could be moved to another forum, or just kept off here in general. The Lifestyle forums extended discussion board is a better place for these kinds of posts. The only thing Vega seems to want though, is the ability to tell everyone they are wrong, and he is right. I want to do the same, however I also want to back that up with evidence, proof, and links to credible sources that people can use to better educate themselves on and realize that the original claim wasn't legitimate.


It's just my prerogative as a human being, to want to share real knowledge with people and teach them to avoid "Snake oil salesmen" and liars.


Banned
33167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Stoke, England
Offline
Posted 2/7/13

a619ko wrote:

thug life.


Jesus, to think that'd make someone other than him mad. Props to him, he's got some fanboys.
Posted 2/7/13
Randonsky, I can point out numerous things that Rifkin said that people with working logic centers in their brain can find fault with.


Just like Vega, you jam your fingers in your ears and refuse to listen to a differing opinion of any kind and claim "I don't want to do anything with lol". Continue with your ignorance, and I will continue to refute and attempt to disprove any nonsensical crap I see posted on CR.

Just because you refuse to listen to fact, doesn't make said facts untrue.

2106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Guess
Offline
Posted 2/7/13 , edited 2/7/13

Randonsky wrote:

Oh you would love to talk about my religion. The people on these discussion threads are hardcore discussionists like yourself who i don't want to do anything with lol


If you don't want anything to do with me, go ahead- it will be to your hurt to persist in ignorance. It is not unnecessary to state the facts about someone, like David Icke is a nutjob who thinks we are ruled by Transdimensional Lizard People, or Scientology is a money making organisation that feeds on the gullibility of the people, or Jeremy Rifkin is a complete idiot.
4020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 2/7/13 , edited 2/7/13

Iainfixie wrote:
I have no malicious intent towards anyone here, nor do I call for solitary confinement for anyone either. I just think we could all possibly be happier if crap like 99% of vega's pseudoscience posts could be moved to another forum, or just kept off here in general. The Lifestyle forums extended discussion board is a better place for these kinds of posts.


It's just my prerogative as a human being, to want to share real knowledge with people and teach them to avoid "Snake oil salesmen" and liars.


Sorry, to hear about your friend. I agree with you that claims need to be backed by solid evidence that can stand up to scientific scrutiny. It is not that much to ask that claims be backed up by reputable sources. I would have far fewer problems with posts making extraordinary claims as long as those claims are backed by evidence from reputable sources.
29425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Offline
Posted 2/7/13 , edited 2/7/13
Has anyone here actually read the book? It is one thing to criticize a man after actually reading his work and taking the time to understand his philosophies, but it is quite another to shame him just because of his unique ideas and perspectives. I can tell you for a fact that Rifkin cites hundreds of sources in his book, and until you have done your research and cite an equal number of sources to back up your claims, you have no right to insult him or his ideas.
Moderator XIV
65090 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / somewhere that is...
Offline
Posted 2/7/13

Iainfixie wrote:

I have no malicious intent towards anyone here, nor do I call for solitary confinement for anyone either. I just think we could all possibly be happier if vega's pseudoscience posts could be moved to another forum, or just kept off here in general. The Lifestyle forums extended discussion board is a better place for these kinds of posts.


You know what? I think you are right!

Hey guys you will notice a lot of posts in this thread have been edited extensively and a couple users have been banned in this thread. So I am just going to say it how it is. If you can't make a post without insulting another user in a way that is downright flamebaiting or trollish then don't make a post. Intelligent discussion does not center around calling other users stupid, or attempting to demean them or their opinions in some way. So please stop doing just that.

Vega... these type of discussions do not belong on the General forums so please stop posting them here. Also you have been making quite a few of this type of post lately. It is fairly obvious they just degenerate into mostly flame posts and reactionary kneejerk comments. They just aren't bringing any content worth having to the forum. So in the future if you want to make a post about some odd and highly improbable scientific theory or religious dogma of some type please put it in in the Lifestyle forums. Secondly if you can't handle someone disagreeing with your posts or not liking what you say then say nothing and don't make the thread in the first place. Someone will always disagree with you no matter what your opinion is and someone will always not like what you say no matter what you said.

As I am sure many do not like or appreciate what I have posted, said, or done, in this thread.

Forum rules: http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-777725/cr-forum-rules
547 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 2/7/13
There is no empathy in a stratified hierarchical society as we see prolific in almost every nation. Our officials (least perhaps here in the United States) staunchly preach that individualism and competition lead to success, creating "them and those", when you have less people in your social tier you have less interpersonal relations and less connection to the plight of those in lesser tiers or those deemed "inferior", thus no altruism or sense of interdependence. No society is incorruptible or exclusive, sometimes you don't even need the concept of industry and money, or of exploitative economic globalization (nothing bad with globalization, at least they work in factories rather than resorting to the world's oldest profession) to introduce the stratified society. Digressing, look at humanity's treatment of others. You have societies where the murder and rape and burning of huts is allowed to be done to other groups of different background or nationality, of atrocity to be committed by the upper castes of society on the lower castes, like the Dalit of India or the varying religious enclaves of the Middle-East. In fact you have so much of these occurrences and atrocity and unequal justice, that they have to stage and feign mock trials just to appease the watching eyes and press of the international community. Modernity has created this artificial hostile environment of extreme self reliance and stress, that it can be discerned by medical statistics pertinent to mental and cardiac health.

As for -Vega-, I don't think he believes in everything he's posted as some others have stated, more likely just throwing around some new perspective or ideas to think on, whether they are adopted or not is solely up to the individual.
29425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Offline
Posted 2/7/13 , edited 2/7/13

Realtaliation wrote:

There is no empathy in a stratified hierarchical society as we see prolific in almost every nation. Our officials (least perhaps here in the United States) staunchly preach that individualism and competition lead to success, creating "them and those", when you have less people in your social tier you have less interpersonal relations and less connection to the plight of those in lesser tiers or those deemed "inferior", thus no altruism or sense of interdependence. No society is incorruptible or exclusive, sometimes you don't even need the concept of industry and money, or of exploitative economic globalization (nothing bad with globalization, at least they work in factories rather than resorting to the world's oldest profession) to introduce the stratified society. Digressing, look at humanity's treatment of others. You have societies where the murder and rape and burning of huts is allowed to be done to other groups of different background or nationality, of atrocity to be committed by the upper castes of society on the lower castes, like the Dalit of India or the varying religious enclaves of the Middle-East. In fact you have so much of these occurrences and atrocity and unequal justice, that they have to stage and feign mock trials just to appease the watching eyes and press of the international community. Modernity has created this artificial hostile environment of extreme self reliance and stress, that it can be discerned by medical statistics pertinent to mental and cardiac health.


Yes, these are the problems we face as a global society, but we can either try to solve them or we can just assume that they cannot be solved. The choice is completely up to us, and the great thing about this book is that it brings optimism into the equation and presents an alternative way of perceiving human nature, one that makes all of these problems seem completely solvable as long as everyone can buy into this concept of empathy. Modern times may seem depressing, but did you ever think of comparing how life is today with how it was in the past? All of the evidence reinforces the idea that we are in the most peaceful era of our existence, so this alone should give you the hope that we can eventually solve all of these problems, you just got to focus on the similarities that we all share as one large extended family. Once you do this, your fear of others decreases further and further until it ceases to exist. If everyone did this, we will have obtained world peace and will never have to worry about these horrible crimes ever happening again.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.