Remove this ad
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply What do you guys prefer Dub or Sub?
32039 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 2/9/13
Japanese sound and English subtitles for hard hearing. You get side descriptions too. ''Birds singing'' or ''sound of footsteps''
I never watch Final Fantasy VII Advent Children Complete with en/en options. It is always JP/EN. FFXII and FFXIII-2 is the exceptions. I like Serahs English voice and Noels too. Actually everything in FFXII. I remember reading a review on that game for a long time ago. They rated the voices as very good when the other things in the game did not get that high score. I remember the Judges and Balthier. Sounded a bit British to me. Been a while since I played it.
247 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/9/13
If an anime that grabs my attention isn't available in dub then I'll happily watch it with subs, but I generally prefer the former option simply because it saves me from having to multi-task (skimming the subtitles whilst simultaneously watching the animation).
The only time I'll choose sub over dub is if the English voice-acting is too awful (as in Lucky Star).
27736 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Where you are.
Online
Posted 2/9/13
This has to be the 1000ths forum on this.
42237 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 2/9/13 , edited 2/9/13

Jazzer06 wrote:


Shrapnel893 wrote:


Jazzer06 wrote:

I used to be a dub guy. Lately I can't even watch most good dubs. It just doesn't sound right. English voice actors tend to be a little too cartoony. Looking at you Greg Aryes... I'm not even sure how that guy gets work.


He gets work because he's a great actor. Voice doesn't matter, it's all about the performance. Obviously.



Your opinion, but if Sylvester Stallone was trying to play the lead actor in a romantic comedy, performance would be irrelevant. Obviously.


I see your point. Think though, this is voice acting not movie/stage acting. His quality as a voice actor has to be pretty good to get the work he does. In the dubbing world, anyway. Look how many roles Luci Christian or Yuri Lowenthal get, it's the same thing.


Stilgar_87 wrote:


Shrapnel893 wrote:


Stilgar_87 wrote:

Subs. Most dubs epic fail.


How so?


Most voices do not fit the characters. Or they have to rewrite it a bit and that makes the anime loads worse. There are a few good dubs out there like Trigun and Cowbot Bebop but for the most part they take away from the origional rather then being just as good or better. Try watching Baka and Test. Their dub was really horrible.


"Most voices do not fit the characters" - I haven't heard that one before . Mind giving some examples and reasons why you think this?

Of course it has to be rewritten, it's a different language and things don't translate from one language to another one hundred percent the same. Some things make more sense rewritten or worded different. An example is Steins;Gate with all the modern terms in it, most of it would go over people's head or they wouldn't get it. The dub rewrites it for an English speaking audience to understand better. I have seen Baka and Test, how was it horrible?

This topic is very opinionated...
3210 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Vancouver,British...
Offline
Posted 2/9/13
SUB :3
42237 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 2/9/13


WHY :3
16352 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Far west texas
Offline
Posted 2/9/13 , edited 2/9/13
I like both but generally prefer dubs. As far as liking subs because they are the "original" I can't agree with that; some anime are actually made in English first although it is certainly not the norm and a vast amount of anime come from novels and manga that has no original voice. I do like some subtitled anime better than their dub counterparts but as a general preference I like dubbed even though I watch more subtitled since that is more readily available.

As a side point; unless you are fluent in Japanese subtitled anime does not work well for background anime when you got chores to do or are cooking ect.
3210 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Vancouver,British...
Offline
Posted 2/9/13
Well idk..for me its because the original voice matches the Character better. :3
42237 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 2/9/13

HikariHaru wrote:

Well idk..for me its because the original voice matches the Character better. :3


Well if you don't know then why.... nevermind....

16177 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/9/13
I would say sub for the most part yet Ruroni Kenshin and all the anime that were dubbed for toonami I like to watch dubbed.
maffoo 
62799 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / England
Offline
Posted 2/9/13
Sub. I've seen too many horrible dubs where the voices just don't seem to fit, and I'm so used to subs now that I don't even try the dubs. These days I tend to watch things as they're released (either here or on fansub) so it's usually sub or nothing
30 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 2/9/13
sub
378 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Fruit Stand
Offline
Posted 2/9/13
I prefer subbed over dub I just find it weird when they talk english :p
23137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
58 / F / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 2/9/13 , edited 2/9/13
I prefer sub to dub. Dub versions sometimes lack the emotion of the original. They also pronounce names/places differently.


Someone said they did not like the definitions and cultural things some translaters insert. I like them they give me a not Japanese person a better understanding. And on occasion let me know when something is a play on words or a joke.
1086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / UK
Online
Posted 2/9/13
Sub because it seems more authentic and truly an anime. However, in some special cases the dub is actually descent but its rare.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.