First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply How much weight can you lift?
33587 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F / ~outside your win...
Offline
Posted 3/29/13
Despite im a girl maybe no more than 30 pounds
595 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / VA
Offline
Posted 3/29/13

Pomff wrote:


doctor_professor wrote:

i've wrestled whole countries!


I invent new countries just so I can have new opponents to wrestle, when people say World Heavyweight Champion they're literally talking about me.


lol!
Posted 3/29/13
Well, I have lifted a 300 lb. man up before, just barely...
15178 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Oregon
Offline
Posted 3/29/13
I've benched 315 two reps at my peak. When I started weight lifting I was able to bench 225 three times though. I did all calisthenics prior to that though (push ups).

There are several necessary strategies to increase your max on any muscle group.

1.) You need a weight lifting partner who is serious about it and pushes themselves and you.
2.) You need proper nutrition and appropriate amounts of protein to supplement.
3.) You need to do heavy weight and low reps
4.) Negative reps are a good way to get used to heavier weight. Do about 20% beyond your max weight.
5.) Switch between dumb bell and bar bell when you plateau.

20761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Iowa
Online
Posted 3/29/13
It's embarrassing, but back in high school I couldn't lift the freaking bar. Now I could bench around 50Kg (110lbs) for a couple of reps.
Posted 3/29/13

koji8123 wrote:

It's embarrassing, but back in high school I couldn't lift the freaking bar. Now I could bench around 50Kg (110lbs) for a couple of reps.


Don't feel ashamed bro. ^ Seriously, weight lifting bars are heavier than you think they'd be. When i first started benching with like a legit one i was like 'What the hell?!?!' lol
64259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / N.C.
Offline
Posted 3/29/13
5 x 5. Start with the bar only and do 5 sets of five for flat bench and squats. Throw in reverse rows, pull ups, ab work, and chin-ups if you can. Do one this three times a week. As in Bench and squat, then next day off or cardio, then pull ups, overhead press and ab work, then next day off or carido. Repeat bench and squat on fifth day... Then take two days off to recover. Every time you work out add 5lbs to whatever exercise you're doing, and start with the bar only no matter how strong you are. Trust me it'll get hard quickly... Best system out there. Just Google 5x5. It works better than any strength training program I have ever done. I'm 40 and I've been lifting weights for 20 yrs so.... The key is 5 sets of five for all exercises, start with the just the bar or body weight and add 5lbs every time you work a muscle group...
64259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / N.C.
Offline
Posted 3/29/13

creightonja wrote:

I've benched 315 two reps at my peak. When I started weight lifting I was able to bench 225 three times though. I did all calisthenics prior to that though (push ups).

There are several necessary strategies to increase your max on any muscle group.

1.) You need a weight lifting partner who is serious about it and pushes themselves and you.
2.) You need proper nutrition and appropriate amounts of protein to supplement.
3.) You need to do heavy weight and low reps
4.) Negative reps are a good way to get used to heavier weight. Do about 20% beyond your max weight.
5.) Switch between dumb bell and bar bell when you plateau.



So, your'e saying work out with 20% beyond your max weigh?. That's fucking retarded. How can you work out with 20% over your max weight? That makes no sense....
15178 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Oregon
Offline
Posted 3/29/13

moneygrip3030 wrote:


creightonja wrote:

I've benched 315 two reps at my peak. When I started weight lifting I was able to bench 225 three times though. I did all calisthenics prior to that though (push ups).

There are several necessary strategies to increase your max on any muscle group.

1.) You need a weight lifting partner who is serious about it and pushes themselves and you.
2.) You need proper nutrition and appropriate amounts of protein to supplement.
3.) You need to do heavy weight and low reps
4.) Negative reps are a good way to get used to heavier weight. Do about 20% beyond your max weight.
5.) Switch between dumb bell and bar bell when you plateau.



So, your'e saying work out with 20% beyond your max weigh?. That's fucking retarded. How can you work out with 20% over your max weight? That makes no sense....


Its pretty obvious you have no idea what a negative repetition is. It is a lift done with a spotter who assists with the lifting portion of the rep while you do the negative part of the repetition solo letting the weight drop slowly ( the negative should last about 5 seconds) . The negative repetition is what tears the muscle fibers which then forces them to rebuild back stronger.
15120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 3/29/13
Man I'm liftin' me some mean gallons of milk and water every day. Got hell'a guns.
64259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / N.C.
Offline
Posted 3/29/13

creightonja wrote:


moneygrip3030 wrote:


creightonja wrote:

I've benched 315 two reps at my peak. When I started weight lifting I was able to bench 225 three times though. I did all calisthenics prior to that though (push ups).

There are several necessary strategies to increase your max on any muscle group.

1.) You need a weight lifting partner who is serious about it and pushes themselves and you.
2.) You need proper nutrition and appropriate amounts of protein to supplement.
3.) You need to do heavy weight and low reps
4.) Negative reps are a good way to get used to heavier weight. Do about 20% beyond your max weight.
5.) Switch between dumb bell and bar bell when you plateau.



So, your'e saying work out with 20% beyond your max weigh?. That's fucking retarded. How can you work out with 20% over your max weight? That makes no sense....


Its pretty obvious you have no idea what a negative repetition is. It is a lift done with a spotter who assists with the lifting portion of the rep while you do the negative part of the repetition solo letting the weight drop slowly ( the negative should last about 5 seconds) . The negative repetition is what tears the muscle fibers which then forces them to rebuild back stronger.


Right, right I don't know what negativves are... I was doing then when you where 15yrs old dude. Thanks for the info. You still never explained your theory of working out with weight that is 20% heavy than what you are capable of lifting. If you really know what you're talking about you should know that negatives should be used sparingly as they break down quite a bit a muscle tissue and you should not be doing them very often. But whatever, every meathead thinks they know better... Explain the Krebs cycle to me and how it's relevant and I might think you know what you're talking about.
64259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / N.C.
Offline
Posted 3/29/13

creightonja wrote:


moneygrip3030 wrote:


creightonja wrote:

I've benched 315 two reps at my peak. When I started weight lifting I was able to bench 225 three times though. I did all calisthenics prior to that though (push ups).

There are several necessary strategies to increase your max on any muscle group.

1.) You need a weight lifting partner who is serious about it and pushes themselves and you.
2.) You need proper nutrition and appropriate amounts of protein to supplement.
3.) You need to do heavy weight and low reps
4.) Negative reps are a good way to get used to heavier weight. Do about 20% beyond your max weight.
5.) Switch between dumb bell and bar bell when you plateau.



So, your'e saying work out with 20% beyond your max weigh?. That's fucking retarded. How can you work out with 20% over your max weight? That makes no sense....


Its pretty obvious you have no idea what a negative repetition is. It is a lift done with a spotter who assists with the lifting portion of the rep while you do the negative part of the repetition solo letting the weight drop slowly ( the negative should last about 5 seconds) . The negative repetition is what tears the muscle fibers which then forces them to rebuild back stronger.


Oh my bad you're saying to do negatives with 20% beyond your max weight right? It's pretty obvious you don't understand how to incorporate negatives into your routine based on that statement alone....
25528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / TX, USA
Offline
Posted 3/30/13
Max rep when I lifted was 2 press of 265. I just trained periodically and slowly the number went up in half a year from 1 rep of 200. I really just went at it after school. I stopped because now I just focus on running and light lifting. I go for more reps now. Been a year since I benched so idk what I could bench right now.
63829 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Where the heart is
Offline
Posted 3/30/13
I bought a new table saw yesterday and it has a cast iron top with steel wings on each side. It weighs 266 pounds by the box's description. The saw's wings were to be attached while the saw was upside down, so I managed to lift it from a squatting position lift it for the last foot or so by arm strength alone. It is very safe to say that there are absolutely no plastic parts.


1811 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Earth
Offline
Posted 4/2/13 , edited 4/2/13
I don't even lift.

I gain my imaginary muscles from typing all day and drinking soda.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.