First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
"The Six Monsters You'll Have As Roommates"
27152 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / san diego
Offline
Posted 2/18/13
definitely ghost
38425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Offline
Posted 2/19/13

Morbidhanson wrote:


You're a criminal when you break laws. Not all laws require you to have psychological problems to break them. Therefore, not all criminals have psychological problems.

Then, again, of course, almost EVERYONE has had 'psychological problems' at one time or another in their lives. Depends what you mean by that term. It's pretty broad and can mean anything from minor imbalances to full-blown insanity.



I agree, but if they accidentally broke a law I wouldn't consider them a criminal to begin with, nor would I consider them a criminal if they broke a law that shouldn't exist. However, if they deliberately break a law that is completely justifiable, I would say that they have psychological problems.
30134 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / none ya
Offline
Posted 2/19/13
I have the zombie roomate. it's terrible. I woke up this morning and there has a half eaten sheet pan of cookies on the couch and my plushy bathrobe was crumped up in his bathroom. I didnt put it there.
18381 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / with Ashy Larry r...
Offline
Posted 2/19/13
Rooming with humans is scary enough. Pass.
19214 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 2/19/13

lordseth23 wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:


You're a criminal when you break laws. Not all laws require you to have psychological problems to break them. Therefore, not all criminals have psychological problems.

Then, again, of course, almost EVERYONE has had 'psychological problems' at one time or another in their lives. Depends what you mean by that term. It's pretty broad and can mean anything from minor imbalances to full-blown insanity.



I agree, but if they accidentally broke a law I wouldn't consider them a criminal to begin with, nor would I consider them a criminal if they broke a law that shouldn't exist. However, if they deliberately break a law that is completely justifiable, I would say that they have psychological problems.


You're forgetting that many people break laws due to desperation (starvation, supporting there family, or just late for work and speeding.) or people who truly believe what they are doing is "right" (Check out the psychological experiments about Nazi's.) as well.

As for the education over asylum's part. While some people can be cured or stabilized with medication or even just education to help them deal with there condition, some thing's can't be cured and some of them are violent. Not to mention thing's such as the various paranoid, anti-social, and so forth conditions which either have no known cure (or even cause in some cases.) or believe they don't need medication or help.

As for commenting on the actual video I can say I've been a alien and roomed with a robot. It was funny for me, a nightmare for him.
38425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Offline
Posted 2/19/13

immitis wrote:


You're forgetting that many people break laws due to desperation (starvation, supporting there family, or just late for work and speeding.) or people who truly believe what they are doing is "right" (Check out the psychological experiments about Nazi's.) as well.

As for the education over asylum's part. While some people can be cured or stabilized with medication or even just education to help them deal with there condition, some thing's can't be cured and some of them are violent. Not to mention thing's such as the various paranoid, anti-social, and so forth conditions which either have no known cure (or even cause in some cases.) or believe they don't need medication or help.



If a law is preventing someone from supporting their family or doing their job, then it is an unjust law that needs to be altered in a way that provides more equality for all. People who believe they are doing the right thing when breaking a justifiable law are the ones suffering from psychological problems and need to be tended to before they cause harm to others. We need to find a cure to these problems even if we think there is no cure, they are no different than any other diseases we have managed to cure throughout history. Everything has a cause, we just need to focus on finding that cause instead of telling ourselves that we can't find it.
19214 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 2/19/13

lordseth23 wrote:


immitis wrote:


You're forgetting that many people break laws due to desperation (starvation, supporting there family, or just late for work and speeding.) or people who truly believe what they are doing is "right" (Check out the psychological experiments about Nazi's.) as well.

As for the education over asylum's part. While some people can be cured or stabilized with medication or even just education to help them deal with there condition, some thing's can't be cured and some of them are violent. Not to mention thing's such as the various paranoid, anti-social, and so forth conditions which either have no known cure (or even cause in some cases.) or believe they don't need medication or help.



If a law is preventing someone from supporting their family or doing their job, then it is an unjust law that needs to be altered in a way that provides more equality for all. People who believe they are doing the right thing when breaking a justifiable law are the ones suffering from psychological problems and need to be tended to before they cause harm to others. We need to find a cure to these problems even if we think there is no cure, they are no different than any other diseases we have managed to cure throughout history. Everything has a cause, we just need to focus on finding that cause instead of telling ourselves that we can't find it.


I meant break a law to support there family in the sense that they would steal food to survive in a time of famine or in a generally poor country where even a increase in "equality" would still leave to few resources for too many people. And seriously can you say a person is truly justified in breaking a (admittedly in some case's petty) traffic law possibly endangering other's because it "prevented them from doing there job".

And no. People who believe they are right but are not do not alway have a condition. To give some examples differences in morality between cultures (sacrifice, suicide, or revenge in different cultures), moral nihilism (technically they believe nothing is a "crime" but close enough), or mob mentality which is the cause of most riots (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mob_Mentality).

Also as I mentioned some thing's simply can not be cured at our current level of medical knowledge or possibly ever such as in the case of condition's caused by mis-formed (in which case curing them might not be possible or may kill them if undertaken) or damaged brain's (possibly curable but not at our level of technology). And further more on mis-grown, if naturally mis-grown the question of is it right to fix there "condition" could come in to play in some circles of philosophy.
2242 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 2/19/13 , edited 2/19/13
Well, I certainly never had any roommates like the ones the video spoke of. I had some pretty cool roommates, even if there were a few minor issues with me being an early bird and most of my roommates being night owls.

Probably the closest one I had to one of the "monsters" was the ghost. I didn't see him very often, but he was a nice guy.

Now I would like to add one to the list, but I don't have a monster nick-name for them...
They stay up 'till the early morning hours playing video games (at maximum volume) and run up and down the halls cursing and ranting whenever they lose. I never had a roommate like that, but there was someone down the hall who fit that character. That was during my senior year. I didn't sleep so well during those days.
27490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 2/19/13

lordseth23 wrote:

People are not monsters.


Please, people are nothing but monsters
20471 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Pinellas Park, FL
Online
Posted 2/19/13
Well I had a couple of roommates.

One was definitely a Robot. He was so set in his ways and didn't know how to improvise in any situation. Even if it meant taking a five minute drive to the hospital.

The other was an Alien. He pretty much got me into everything Japan. If that isn't self explanatory I don't know what is.

Third roommate and still friends with was a Ghost. He would literally disappear and reappear. No joke. Him and his girlfriend would be standing right there then she'd grab his balls and they would instantly vanish. Used to leave notes for stuff behind too. Houdini doesn't come close.

Fourth and fifth roommates were definitely vampires. Number four was gay so....yeah....3 guys sleeping in one room not fun. spent a lot of nights deciding whether I wanted to have my back against the wall and facing them or the other way around. Cool guys though. Five did what he did and payed for it, that's all I'm saying. Can't be that good without consequence.

Note: Now that I think about it. Having my gay roommates doing their shiz while I was there means I couldn't have been too unappealing to make the situation a turnoff. That's good, right?

Sixth and I think final was a....not sure. I would say Vampire/Ghost. Would be there with somebody different every couple weeks but would disappear a lot for parties and drinking and parties. I think he ultimately just dropped out.

Finally, I would say that I would probably be a Ghost/Vampire/Alien. I stayed out a lot. Studied outside the apartment, went over to friends, parties, club activities, gym, required advising(HEOP), etc. Only had 3 major flings while I was there. And I'm a New Yorker. People just can't handle the attitude and the mentality. A Ghost if I had to really choose one though.

Really interesting and good times.

Clarification for any curious people:
Roommate(RM)
Pre-First Year(Summer): 5, 6
First Year: RM 1, 2
Second Year: RM 1, 2, 3
Third Year: RM 1, 2, 4
Fourth Year: RM 3, 6
339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 2/19/13
i would prefer a ghost, a vampire, a witch, a werewolf, a zombie.... that's surely a lot of fun and chaos... hahahahh... and definitely i will be the sixth monster in the room!!! hahahah...
1570 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Australia
Offline
Posted 2/20/13
I'd probably be some strange Alien-Ghost-Zombie hybrid....
I do not envy my future roommates, I'm probably gonna annoy the hell outta them
38425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Offline
Posted 2/20/13

immitis wrote:


I meant break a law to support there family in the sense that they would steal food to survive in a time of famine or in a generally poor country where even a increase in "equality" would still leave to few resources for too many people. And seriously can you say a person is truly justified in breaking a (admittedly in some case's petty) traffic law possibly endangering other's because it "prevented them from doing there job".

And no. People who believe they are right but are not do not alway have a condition. To give some examples differences in morality between cultures (sacrifice, suicide, or revenge in different cultures), moral nihilism (technically they believe nothing is a "crime" but close enough), or mob mentality which is the cause of most riots (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mob_Mentality).

Also as I mentioned some thing's simply can not be cured at our current level of medical knowledge or possibly ever such as in the case of condition's caused by mis-formed (in which case curing them might not be possible or may kill them if undertaken) or damaged brain's (possibly curable but not at our level of technology). And further more on mis-grown, if naturally mis-grown the question of is it right to fix there "condition" could come in to play in some circles of philosophy.



If they need to steal food in order to survive, then there shouldn't be a law that prohibits this action, anybody who has food should be willing to give them food.

No, they are not justified for breaking a traffic law because it doesn't prevent them from doing their jobs.

All of the examples you gave are psychological deficiencies that do not exist among people who are properly educated.

And our medical knowledge is constantly growing, so it is safe to assume that everything will eventually be curable. Mis-formed people do not need to change, they can easily be supervised and do not pose any problems to society.
35035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 2/20/13 , edited 2/20/13
I had a roommate for my first semester of college and then never again. I was The Ghost (I work a lot), and my roommate was The Vampire (a major socialite). I had an amazing stroke of good luck that second semester of my freshman year. My roommate wanted to move into a triple dorm room with some of our friends on the same floor, and the office didn't assign me another roommate after that transfer was completed. So I had a double room all to myself, something which was technically not even supposed to be possible (they won't let you sign up for a room without the intended number of occupants).

After that I signed up for a single room. The college had us sign up for rooms on a staggered schedule, with higher ranking students' sign-up days coming earlier than lower ranking students. I got around this major disadvantage by waiting outside the office before sunrise on the day the sophomores would be allowed to start signing up.

By that point all that was left in the way of single rooms was a room on the top floor of a building no one really liked (it hadn't been renovated since the Ford administration). Naturally, I took the room immediately since the building, while old and in a bit of disrepair, was otherwise a decent place to live. People were just being picky, they wanted to live in the shiny new buildings. I didn't care, it was a good enough building for me.

To make things even more interesting, some rockhead set his room on fire on the other side of my floor. The damage to the building was minimal and primarily limited to smoke damage, no one was hurt, and my room was completely unaffected. But that put the building at the front of the renovation list, so that building that everyone looked at me like a lunatic for choosing to live in soon became the shiniest on campus for a bit. HAH!
19214 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 2/20/13

lordseth23 wrote:

If they need to steal food in order to survive, then there shouldn't be a law that prohibits this action, anybody who has food should be willing to give them food.

No, they are not justified for breaking a traffic law because it doesn't prevent them from doing their jobs.

All of the examples you gave are psychological deficiencies that do not exist among people who are properly educated.

And our medical knowledge is constantly growing, so it is safe to assume that everything will eventually be curable. Mis-formed people do not need to change, they can easily be supervised and do not pose any problems to society.


Ok, lets begin once more.

I will spell out a example so as to further clarify my first example. There are five people, all live in a area of famine. Only four have enough food to barely survive, the fifth breaks the law of theft by taking all the food from one or more of the other's ensuring he has enough food to survive but at the cost of one or more of the other's lives. Is it selfish? Yes. Is it wrong? debatable, but at least from a survival standpoint it was justified and despite breaking a law it could be seen as the only sane solution due to avoiding death by starvation. The same argument can be made with a "stranded at sea" scenario involving cannibalism and/or murder both being "sane and morally justifiable" law.

And for my second example which I should have provided a real example with. A surgeon (the only one capable of successfully completing the surgery. The others being less able to perform it with a extremely high chance of death for the patient.) has been called to the hospital to preform a sudden and emergency surgery. The patient will die if it is not preformed within a time limit of thirty minutes. If he travels at the max legal speed ,stop's at all stop lights/signs, and generally obeys all traffic laws he will be well over a hour away. However if he were to break said laws he could arrive on time but in the process would endanger himself and many other's. So if he breaks the laws there is a risk of people dying, however if he does obey the law the patient will most likely die.

As for your comment on psychological "deficiency's" not existing in "properly" educated. There is very little to link any amount of IQ or education to actually having a condition of any kind with many of both genius or under average intellects and borderline uneducated or highly educated people often plagued by psychological and personality disorders, conditions, and oddity's.

However on that note. I did not list a single "deficiency" in my post. I did however list 1. different cultural views 2. A philosophy (Moral nihilism) 3. A survival instinct found in all Humans regardless of race, gender, or education (Mob mentality).

Finally what is possible does indeed have limits. For example if say the Insular Cortex (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insular_cortex)
or the Amygdala (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amygdala) was malformed or of reduced size. This could cause a variety of problem's not the least of which being the processing of emotion's such as compassion and increase in aggression and other negative emotions and behaviors such as the increasing link between ASPD (which covers many dangerous extremes such as Sociopathic and Psychopathic personality types both of which would be nearly impossible to "supervise" and most certainly can be "problems" to say the least.) and reduced or deficient Amygdala.

Now to actually fix this after a injury would be maybe a generation or two away however if it is caused by genetics it becomes harder. Fixing it would be impossible unless caught and genetically altered during early development within or even before the womb. Now if it isn't caught. The reason it isn't possible if not caught is one would need to artificially induce growth in a process similar to a tumor or cancer using hormonal, nanobotic, or not yet known at this time technique or technology which while going well beyond my medical knowledge is at the very least possibly life threatening and at very best many generation's away and still dangerous regardless of how much we push the line of what is possibly until we reach the at this moment science fiction level of moving a person's consciousness or soul to another body or storage device.

And finally. I'd like to thank you for this disagreement(?). I'm having a blast looking through my old research paper's and checking out the new studies and such.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.