First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Disable "Exclusive Stream" banner?
18193 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 2/18/14 , edited 2/18/14
Personally i find the "Exclusive" mark to be an hinderence, though i don't mind the CR mark, but while i was watching TWGOK, there was two conversations, which coursed subtitles to be displayed at the top and bottom. Since the "Exclusive" mark was there, it made me feel that the mark and subtitles blended into each other, coursing me some irritation.

It's not the end of the world but i'd perfer if i could disable it and enjoy the shows without pauses. And i don't mean to criticize, but you could also make the player taller so a video in widescreen format would have a black space at top and bottom, or possibly just moving the "Exclusive" mark to the side and spell it vertically?
109511 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
58 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Online
Posted 2/18/14 , edited 2/18/14

Devadas0443 wrote:

It's not the end of the world but i'd perfer if i could disable it and enjoy the shows without pauses. And i don't mean to criticize, but you could also make the player taller so a video in widescreen format would have a black space at top and bottom, or possibly just moving the "Exclusive" mark to the side and spell it vertically?

The likely reason for that text appearing is to attempt to discourage persons from ripping CR's video and posting it elsewhere. As with all anti-piracy efforts, there are ways to defeat it but it isn't meant to be a cure-all, but more like the lock on your front door (which also is far from foolproof security).

23250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Kansas
Offline
Posted 2/18/14 , edited 2/18/14

AlanMintaka wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I've enrolled for a 14-day trial to the Anime-only subscription.

Whenever I start to play a stream, I get a banner across the top of the display that says "Exclusive Stream for Alan Mintaka". It lasts for at least 10 seconds before clearing.

I don't want to see it in my stream playbacks. Is this banner something that will go away if I sign up for a paid subscription after the trial ends, or will it keep being displayed?

There's no way I'm going to pay for a subscription if I have to put up with text or graphic overlays that have nothing to do with the program content. Allowing a banner like this to be displayed gives license to Crunchyroll to display anything they want, at any time, during stream playback.

Thanks for your time,
Alan Mintaka


Well I don't know about you but I do most of my CR watching on my Xbox360. Now I'm 90% sure that while I've been streaming through my console. I haven't seen the "Exclusive Stream for Braxerman" banner for the year I've been here. Although that has 2 points that stand out to me in your situation.

1. You don't own a console (Xbox 360, PlayStation 4, Apple iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Apple TV, Google TV, Roku Box). And I don't know the banner situation on any other device than my 360. And don't forget the Xbox Live Gold service.

2. IF you do have a console, you can only stream to them with a paid membership. Altough Streaming for iOS and Android is available to free accounts.

(Just throwing my opinion out there).
55210 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
62 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 2/18/14 , edited 2/18/14

TheAncientOne wrote:IMHO, the best anti-piracy method would be one that people wouldn't see. If it were possible to intersperse single frames with the member name in multiple places in the video, it would allow the member ripping the video to be identified. If the single frames were random, it would also be a pain for them to find on each video.
Heh... How do you know they don't already do that, and the banner is just a red herring to make you think you avoided all the lasers?

It's no different than a locked door on a house, or a password. Someone determined will find a way in no matter what you do. It keeps the honest people honest though, because they can see that someone cares enough to watch, and probably satisfies some non-disclosable agreement with the production companies to allow CR to stream at all.

As someone else said in this thread, devices don't seem to show either watermark. I've never seen it (or at least never noticed it, anyway) on my Roku or my Kindle, and that's probably for the same reason that subs have to be hard-coded and soft subs only exist for the PC.
12203 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/12/15 , edited 5/13/15
I signed up for a Premium Membership to see LESS distractions when I watch episodes. Now I see the same pointless banner spamming every single episode I start.

The watermark is annoying and useless. None of the rationales given in this thread make any sense, particularly when the stupid banner doesn't even show up on different devices.

Until they decide to give their PAYING customers the option to remove this banner, I guess I won't ever be logging on with my "Premium" membership after this. I'll be visiting this site with an active adblocker, which I hardly ever use. I usually don't have any problem giving websites their ad revenue but Crunchyroll's decision to use AdChoice makes it impossible to view anything here.

AdChoice is the worst Internet ad service I have ever seen. Their ads are always obnoxiously loud compared to the volume level of the content and the timing is ALWAYS off from the episode breaks. And that's when AdChoice actually works rather than lagging or simply freezing.

I'll pay my Premium membership because I believe in supporting Crunchyrol's efforts to bring anime over from Japan, but there is no way I'll put up with these terrible decisions of the people running this site. If things get fixed, then it might be worth logging in when I watch anything.
13015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/28/15 , edited 12/28/15
You can watch without the banner on a set-top box such as Roku or your console PS3/4/Xbox360/One etc since those platforms have built in copy protection they don't require the watermarking.
10 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Right behind you
Offline
Posted 1/4/18 , edited 27 days ago
Fully aware of how it works, I know it helps stop people from sharing the streams, I still dislike it. It takes me out of the experience, it's distracting, it's annoying, it's not used by other services like Netflix or Amazon Prime Video. Other streaming services aren't messing with their users like this. On top of that, it makes me feel untrusted, like they're actively disrupting my experience because they're paranoid that I'm here to steal from them. Like if you went to a friend's house and they laid a plastic sheet on the couch before prompting you to sit down.
15052 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 1/4/18 , edited 1/4/18

TheAncientOne wrote:
IMHO, the best anti-piracy method would be one that people wouldn't see.


speaking of which
the invisible watermark



Enter Digimarc for images, the solution to the stolen image problem. Think of it as an invisible QR Code that not only can embed information about the creator, but also enables tracking.



Not only will it embed all of the copyright information about the image author, but viewers who use the Digimarc software for iPhone or Android, will be directed to all sort of additional information such as websites, videos, audio tracks or purchasing information. And it doesn’t matter whether the image is on the web or printed.

20110 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / In the corner wat...
Offline
Posted 1/4/18 , edited 1/4/18

Braxerman wrote:


AlanMintaka wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I've enrolled for a 14-day trial to the Anime-only subscription.

Whenever I start to play a stream, I get a banner across the top of the display that says "Exclusive Stream for Alan Mintaka". It lasts for at least 10 seconds before clearing.

I don't want to see it in my stream playbacks. Is this banner something that will go away if I sign up for a paid subscription after the trial ends, or will it keep being displayed?

There's no way I'm going to pay for a subscription if I have to put up with text or graphic overlays that have nothing to do with the program content. Allowing a banner like this to be displayed gives license to Crunchyroll to display anything they want, at any time, during stream playback.

Thanks for your time,
Alan Mintaka


Well I don't know about you but I do most of my CR watching on my Xbox360. Now I'm 90% sure that while I've been streaming through my console. I haven't seen the "Exclusive Stream for Braxerman" banner for the year I've been here. Although that has 2 points that stand out to me in your situation.

1. You don't own a console (Xbox 360, PlayStation 4, Apple iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Apple TV, Google TV, Roku Box). And I don't know the banner situation on any other device than my 360. And don't forget the Xbox Live Gold service.

2. IF you do have a console, you can only stream to them with a paid membership. Altough Streaming for iOS and Android is available to free accounts.

(Just throwing my opinion out there).



I haven't seen any watermark, CR watermark or the Exclusive watermark on my PS4 though I do see it on my Win 10 app.


I think Gaming Consoles don't need the Exclusive watermark because the consoles have their own way of protecting streamed content. (easily by-passed if one used OBS and a Capture Card I'm sure =o=)
58 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 8/5/18 , edited 8/5/18
I dislike it too, especially the logo; I'd much rather that it stay there than keep popping up; it always catches my eye and is super annoying
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.