First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Thoughts on Anime turned live action.
48161 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / With Lucina
Offline
Posted 3/12/13
Has anyone seen the Arakawa Under the Bridge one? Just wondering on how well received or not it was
56572 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/12/13
I can see turning a live action movie into anime, but it doesn't work the other way around, imo.
22993 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Lichfield, UK
Offline
Posted 3/12/13
I point you towards the Dragon Ball movie, the Death note movies, The girl who leapt through time and Speed racer.
Live action does not work.
However if Ghost in the Shell gets out of development hell then I will watch it just so I can mock it later.
Posted 3/12/13
some are better depicted in a live action
10546 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / The Moon
Offline
Posted 3/12/13
Anyone looking forward to the Gundam live action movie being released this year called Pacific Rim?
I know I am...
3377 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Virginia, USA
Offline
Posted 3/12/13
All the live action anime adaptions I've seen range from meh to god awful.
Posted 3/12/13 , edited 3/12/13

hickey1992 wrote:

I point you towards the Dragon Ball movie, the Death note movies, The girl who leapt through time and Speed racer.
Live action does not work.
However if Ghost in the Shell gets out of development hell then I will watch it just so I can mock it later.


A live action could work, but it needs someone with a deep understanding, vision and a passion for it. This is why Peter Jackson pulled of LOTR; it was nothing but passionate a love affair between him and the books on screen.

A lot of hard work would have to be put into translating them in to live action, but only a few directors would ever be willing to put thought into them.

In fact, wasn't Oldboy a manga first? Look how that turned out.
1461 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F / canada
Offline
Posted 3/12/13
I actually don't mind some live action films/dramas. It only becomes a problem for me if it's a shounen jump animated series like fairy tail and bleach. When ever live action films try to recreate the original series. it always comes out corny and half assed.
1260 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / UK
Offline
Posted 3/12/13

KikuTengu wrote:

I...don't really know. I haven't seen the Death Note film, but I don't think I'm going to.

I know Negima got a live-action version, but they had Negi played by a girl, right? That just sounds like it'll be nothing but fanservice, but again, I don't really know anything beyond that. And Sailor Moon got something too? Sounds like cheesiness...


Negi played by a girl? doesn't that defeat the whole point of the entire story?! how does that work? O_o
41028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 3/12/13
GTO and Shimokita Glory Days where good. The Bleach live action musical was good for the most part. The first Gantz was good.
3137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / Behind you.
Offline
Posted 3/12/13

fujiiiko wrote:


KikuTengu wrote:

I...don't really know. I haven't seen the Death Note film, but I don't think I'm going to.

I know Negima got a live-action version, but they had Negi played by a girl, right? That just sounds like it'll be nothing but fanservice, but again, I don't really know anything beyond that. And Sailor Moon got something too? Sounds like cheesiness...


Negi played by a girl? doesn't that defeat the whole point of the entire story?! how does that work? O_o


I just googled it, and yes, he is played by a girl. I have no clue. XD I guess that's why there's an entirely different storyline from the original series...
29575 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 3/12/13
I have seen just a few drama adaptations of comics series. My thoughts so far...

Nodame Cantabile: based on a down-to-earth josei manga about music students. Definitely benefits by letting the audience hear practice sesssions and symphony music. The only potential problem is that the slapstick comedy doesn't seem believable in live action, especially since the series is otherwise realistic. (I didn't think the comedy was out of place in the manga.)

Yankee-kun to Megane-chan: based on a relatively realistic shounen romantic comedy manga. I'm less familiar with the source material. The live action TV series had some gratuitous camera effects and seemingly forced humor, but I thought it was decent.

Liar Game: based on a thriller/mystery manga. I knew almost nothing about the source material going in. While I didn't think every plot element or twist was believable, I was impressed. Since two seasons of live action TV and a spinoff movie were made, I've got much more to look forward to.


Rito2Ru wrote:

Has anyone seen the Arakawa Under the Bridge one? Just wondering on how well received or not it was


Not yet... but I intend to. I've seen a couple episodes of the Arakawa anime series, and they were amusing and absurd. I'm not sure if the eccentric characters will be interesting when portrayed by live actors.
13278 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / West Point (USMA)
Offline
Posted 3/12/13

Vonzaku wrote:


hickey1992 wrote:

I point you towards the Dragon Ball movie, the Death note movies, The girl who leapt through time and Speed racer.
Live action does not work.
However if Ghost in the Shell gets out of development hell then I will watch it just so I can mock it later.


A live action could work, but it needs someone with a deep understanding, vision and a passion for it. This is why Peter Jackson pulled of LOTR; it was nothing but passionate a love affair between him and the books on screen.

A lot of hard work would have to be put into translating them in to live action, but only a few directors would ever be willing to put thought into them.

In fact, wasn't Oldboy a manga first? Look how that turned out.


Wow, I never knew Oldboy was a manga originally. That movie was so intense..
15038 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Seattle
Offline
Posted 3/12/13
"Terribad" I like that word

I agree that LA adaptations are usually bad. But I don't think they necessarily always have to be. First, you have to pick a story that will adapt well to a live setting, then you have to have the time and budget to make a script that works, and have a high production value.

Something like a wild, fantasy shounen, or anything that's meant to be over-the-top, is probably is going to end up being silly when you've got real people acting it out (like someone mentioned earlier, you have the same problem with adapting action games). Unfortunately, these sorts probably have the highest following, and are most likely to have people wanting to adapt it.

It would be wiser to adapt a story that's more subdued, and/or aimed at a more mature audience. Scripting issues can be dealt with if the adaptors love and respect the original story, and can stick to their guns so it doesn't get forcibly "Hollywoodized" by a studio or exec. And then of course, prowl for a fat, juicy budget.

And actually, I liked the Death Note adaptations. Well, the first one had pretty bad lighting a lot of the time (the DP died right after it was shot, though... >>), but otherwise I enjoyed them.
19539 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / A few Parsecs fro...
Online
Posted 3/12/13
I haven't personally seen many, but I've heard great things about RuroKen's live action, and less than decent things about DBZ's. I have the mindset that it is probably for the best if they are not made by Hollywood.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.