First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
My Ordinary Life.... Release?
17129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / NJ
Offline
Posted 2/17/13
I did some searching and it appears that there is no American copy of My Ordinary Life, and that Bandai had the rights to it but canceled its American release... I really like the series... do you think there is any hope of a release here?
25399 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / West-Central Florida
Offline
Posted 2/17/13 , edited 2/17/13
Oh, man...I really, really hope so. I love Nichijou, it's one of my favorites.
17129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / NJ
Offline
Posted 2/17/13
Me too, that and Lucky Star... but its hard to find a Lucky Star Collection on Amazon for anything less than like $300 :/
25399 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / West-Central Florida
Offline
Posted 2/17/13

tvirusinfected13 wrote:

Me too, that and Lucky Star... but its hard to find a Lucky Star Collection on Amazon for anything less than like $300 :/


That's because it's just that awesome, y'know?

I honestly think that it's a big mistake, not continuing it...Lucky Star's a huge hit and a huge moneymaker for those guys. You'd think a continuation would be inevitable!

I really like plotless and random anime like Nichijou, Lucky Star, Azumanga Daioh, Mitsudomoe...y'know, stuff like that. I really wish that someday, Yotsuba will be an anime, too!
17129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / NJ
Offline
Posted 2/17/13

mwhitco91 wrote:


tvirusinfected13 wrote:

Me too, that and Lucky Star... but its hard to find a Lucky Star Collection on Amazon for anything less than like $300 :/


That's because it's just that awesome, y'know?

I honestly think that it's a big mistake, not continuing it...Lucky Star's a huge hit and a huge moneymaker for those guys. You'd think a continuation would be inevitable!

I really like plotless and random anime like Nichijou, Lucky Star, Azumanga Daioh, Mitsudomoe...y'know, stuff like that. I really wish that someday, Yotsuba will be an anime, too!


I would also love to see a release of Miname-ke too... that show had a lot of heart... it did have more of a continuing plot but it had some real lol moments in it too
25399 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / West-Central Florida
Offline
Posted 2/17/13

tvirusinfected13 wrote:


I would also love to see a release of Miname-ke too... that show had a lot of heart... it did have more of a continuing plot but it had some real lol moments in it too


I've never even heard of Miname-ke until just now, but anything marked as "comedy/slice of life" is right up my alley, so I might watch it now! Thanks! =D

I love random anime, but I don't like it when they're really fast, though. Is Miname-Ke too fast? And by too fast, I mean Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei fast. That anime was ridiculous. ._.

(Sorry for going off topic!)
17129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / NJ
Offline
Posted 2/17/13
No I don't think they go too fast, I haven't seen those other ones you mentioned but I'm assuming you mean that they talk really fast and go from subject to subject? Then no, you should be able to keep up with them. I found lucky star hard to read sometimes cause they went so fast lol
25399 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / West-Central Florida
Offline
Posted 2/17/13
Oh great, then I'm in the clear. SZS was just ridiculous. ._. Thanks.
21160 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / US
Offline
Posted 2/18/13

tvirusinfected13 wrote:
I did some searching and it appears that there is no American copy of My Ordinary Life, and that Bandai had the rights to it but canceled its American release... I really like the series... do you think there is any hope of a release here?
Yeah, don't you love that page at Amazon for the DVD, all beautifully set-up there as if it's a done deal, but with the statement "Currently unavailable; we don't know when or if this item will be back in stock." As you noted, it, along with their planned release of an English translation of the manga, were cancelled when Bandai gave up on North America in January 2012. Since then I've heard nothing about the fate of the licenses on the titles they never released. Presumably they're just sitting around waiting for someone to buy them up, but, somehow I doubt that will ever happen with Nichijou. The economics of anime are completely different in the US than Japan, which is why Bandai left town, so that's strike one. Then add in that apparently Nichijou wasn't even a very good-selling title in Japan, and that would be strike two.

One could always pony up the $70/disc for the BluRay imports. I believe there's thirteen of them so that's only $910 for the complete series, plus shipping. I love the show so much that sometimes that even almost sounds reasonable, but, uh, no. Hmm, I wonder if that would be an example of the differences in the economics of anime between the US and Japan...
17129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / NJ
Offline
Posted 2/18/13

tcfenstermaker wrote:


tvirusinfected13 wrote:
I did some searching and it appears that there is no American copy of My Ordinary Life, and that Bandai had the rights to it but canceled its American release... I really like the series... do you think there is any hope of a release here?
Yeah, don't you love that page at Amazon for the DVD, all beautifully set-up there as if it's a done deal, but with the statement "Currently unavailable; we don't know when or if this item will be back in stock." As you noted, it, along with their planned release of an English translation of the manga, were cancelled when Bandai gave up on North America in January 2012. Since then I've heard nothing about the fate of the licenses on the titles they never released. Presumably they're just sitting around waiting for someone to buy them up, but, somehow I doubt that will ever happen with Nichijou. The economics of anime are completely different in the US than Japan, which is why Bandai left town, so that's strike one. Then add in that apparently Nichijou wasn't even a very good-selling title in Japan, and that would be strike two.

One could always pony up the $70/disc for the BluRay imports. I believe there's thirteen of them so that's only $910 for the complete series, plus shipping. I love the show so much that sometimes that even almost sounds reasonable, but, uh, no. Hmm, I wonder if that would be an example of the differences in the economics of anime between the US and Japan...


AAAAAAAHHHHH!!!! I know what you mean they have it completely set up... you get your hopes up then... not in stock... its heartbreaking.... Miname-ke is the same set up with the not in stuck business.... Don't get me wrong, I love being able to watch it on Crunchy Roll but I want to own it and put it on my shelf and look at it.... and keep watching it on crunchy roll lol.

But on a serious note I don't know why Nichijou didn't do well in Japan.... we all find it funny, and it definitely doesn't feel like the humor is directed for American audiences... I don't think I understand what Japanese audiences are looking for... another example for me is Deadman Wonderland.... I know the anime deverted from the original manga... most of the time anime does deviate from manga.... I thought it was a very stylish series, and it seemed to have made some waves in America... Why didn't it do well over in Japan... I would have loved another season...

I don't know... I guess I'm just whining... Here's to a hopeful American release of Nichijou... but until then.. Here's to Crunchy Roll for being awesome and having it for us to watch ^_^
36567 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 2/18/13
I say highly unlikey anyone will get it, most companies have probably forgot about it already and aren't looking to license the slightly older title 8(
46202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / Buried under a pi...
Online
Posted 2/18/13 , edited 2/18/13

deli8079 wrote:

I say highly unlikey anyone will get it, most companies have probably forgot about it already and aren't looking to license the slightly older title 8(


I could see Sentai or possibly Right Stuf going for it. If they got it, I'd imagine it would be a subtitled only release. By the way, the longer a company waits to release a title, the cheaper it USUALLY gets. It could be that companies are waiting for Bandai's license to expire. I wouldn't call it "unlikely" just yet. It takes time to license a show.
17129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / NJ
Offline
Posted 2/19/13

Art-chan wrote:


deli8079 wrote:

I say highly unlikey anyone will get it, most companies have probably forgot about it already and aren't looking to license the slightly older title 8(


I could see Sentai or possibly Right Stuf going for it. If they got it, I'd imagine it would be a subtitled only release. By the way, the longer a company waits to release a title, the cheaper it USUALLY gets. It could be that companies are waiting for Bandai's license to expire. I wouldn't call it "unlikely" just yet. It takes time to license a show.


Your hopefull attitude has brightened my day..... If only anime releases were like a disney movie.... if you believe hard enough it will come out lol
33484 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Scotland
Offline
Posted 2/19/13 , edited 2/19/13
My Ordinary Life has the most Japanese humour I've ever seen, so with that in mind, it might be hard to sell to the casual western audience. I mean, I liked it, but there were a bunch of times where I didn't get the joke, and I often felt like it was because I'm not Japanese.
17129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / NJ
Offline
Posted 2/21/13
I agree there was definitely some humor in there that went over my head but there was enough in there that had me loling. I might have to rewatch it when I'm done with Ouran Highschool Host Club
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.