First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Why are most Anime characters lacking asian features?
17774 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17
Offline
Posted 2/18/13

CLarose wrote:


Taedrin wrote:
Because the Japanese artist will draw their characters in a way that they perceive them - not as how we will see them. As Americans, we identify foreigners by the physical features which differ from our own. In reality, these differences form but a very small subset from all of the features which make us human. Why should a Japanese artist draw a Japanese character in such a way that it conforms to our stereotypes? In fact, a Japanese artist will draw a Japanese character in such a way that it conforms to the artist's stereotypes.


How does that explain how some characters look more Asian than others?

And they always draw the one black character in a series with the features that conform to stereotypes.


I don't know what you mean when you say "one looks more Asian than the others". They all look "Asian", some may have some more detail than the other but if they're Asian, they look Asian to Japanese folk.
Your question is, quite frankly, really absurd. Some characters get minimally more details and "Japanese" features, it's just how they're designed. Sometimes it's for a reason, sometimes it isn't, but for the most part the featureless protagonists thing, as I said earlier, is mostly due to simplicity and cheapness. That's it. There's no special, wacky reason: it's just how they are drawn, and generally has a lot to do with conserving features for simplicities sake.
16123 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Seattle, United S...
Offline
Posted 2/18/13
It might also have something to do with the origin of anime. Early anime was heavily influenced by Walt Disney Cartoons. Perhaps it's a remnant of that.
Posted 2/18/13 , edited 2/18/13

CLarose wrote:


PhyongHwa wrote:

Maybe they're obsessed with the "western look" like some westerners are obsessed with the "Asian look". Everybody has their favorite flavor, y'know, and ppl usually want the opposite of what they are. Straight hair ppl want curly, and vice versa for one.

I'm not Asian, but I really like the way they look above all other looks....I don't know why.



Hmm.... Ya think so...?





You can't base it on that. I can't say this for sure but I know the blonde hair and double eyelid surgery thing is or was popular in Japanese fashion. Unattractive is arguably the same in every culture. They may have chosen Westerners who they thought were beautiful to help create their style.
41464 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 2/18/13

CLarose wrote:


Taedrin wrote:
Because the Japanese artist will draw their characters in a way that they perceive them - not as how we will see them. As Americans, we identify foreigners by the physical features which differ from our own. In reality, these differences form but a very small subset from all of the features which make us human. Why should a Japanese artist draw a Japanese character in such a way that it conforms to our stereotypes? In fact, a Japanese artist will draw a Japanese character in such a way that it conforms to the artist's stereotypes.


How does that explain how some characters look more Asian than others?

And they always draw the one black character in a series with the features that conform to stereotypes.


Because those are the *artist's* stereotypes, some of which *might* be similar to our own stereotypes. This is not an all or nothing situation - some of the artist's stereotypes might be similar to our own, and then other stereotypes might be different.
1177 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Nowhere, MI
Offline
Posted 2/18/13

CLarose wrote:


butthurtking wrote:

Forgot, asians don't have god-tier tits either.


O'rly?



I am intrigued by your thesis but would like to see more supporting evidence.
12407 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / California
Offline
Posted 2/18/13
In general, I think they lack natural human features. Their proportions are crazy, they have impossible hair colors, and they are capable of doing superhuman things.
38352 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/18/13 , edited 2/18/13
we do not know what planet or dream land you ppl are in. but there are many ppl in japan who have big boob. many artist do not just imagine these pictures from anywhere. they use many japanese models (japan has a large modeling agency in tokyo) and many models in the adult industry. realistic animation if boring, plus you have to detail in many facial expressions. if you do not know the difference. you should stop watching anime and start reading manga.

for many schools in japan, there are many many many pretty ppl. there are other schools where students are average looking and there are schools where student look like supermodels.

there are many ppl from tokyo and osaka who color there hair. every age do this. you many out this is school, but you will see it in busy streets. it is almost saying, you americana do not look at all americans.
Posted 2/18/13

CLarose wrote:

Based on what youre saying the artist uses their own set of racial stereotypes to create what they think a character of a certain ethnicity should look like. Why cant I be curious as to why they make some characters look more Japanese than another and then call them both Japanese?

Im asking from a design standpoint, not a racial standpoint. My question is not why do they make anime characters look white and others asian. My question is why do they make some characters with asian features and then have other characters that appear featureless or have unrealistic features then call them both Japanese. I think youre not reading into my initial post enough.


Are you really trying to say that anime characters have ACTUAL human-like features? And that ANY of them actually LOOK Japanese?! Not even Enma Ai looks like a regular Japanese girl... These are 2D drawings... Get over it. You're trying to read too much into it... Like I've said, it has nothing to do with race or whatever... It's ALL art style.. If it suits the character to "look more Japanese [whatever the hell that means]" then that's the way they'll be drawn... Ok, let's just put it this way... If Enma Ai was drawn to be a blonde-haired, blue-eyed girl, do you think she would evoke the same kind of feeling as the wide-eyed, kokeshi doll-like Enma Ai we know?
13979 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / 20.0167° N, 155.6...
Offline
Posted 2/18/13
well maybe they people who make anime don't discriminate so they put in whoever
38352 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/18/13
we do not believe this is right. most japan native, are not born with big eyes. only japanese who cross-breed. like Japanese-American, Japanese-English, Japanese-African, or Japanese-French. or if you have eye-lid surgery. and because this has been culture for
many 100's year since America and Europe traded with Japan. we think started like this.

many japanese, know 2 things about who you are. if you have big eye's, you either had plastic surgery on your eye's or your father or mother is a Foreigner. everyone in japan want big eyes, because it looks cute. many actress and model have them...... so you should too.

like in American, many women like big boobs, so you should have big boobs, too.
2650 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 2/18/13
In answer to your question I would say that a character feeling more Japanese, probably has to do with the characters background. I think the more Japanese feeling characters are representing more traditional aspect of the Japanese culture or very specific part of Japanese culture and this is what makes some characters seem more Japanese or the reason for them being more Japanese.
9974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / San Diego, USA
Offline
Posted 2/18/13
Elementary, dear Watson!

It's not a matter of reflecting what humans of any ethnicity look like to detail, but rather making them look appealing and attractive. Bigger eyes, bigger heads... they're features of things we deem cute, like babies or puppies.

Entertainment is the goal, not replicating life.

Vsauce explains this very well in their video "Why Are Things Cute?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0zConOPZ8Y

Besides, anime and manga (and pretty much any other source of entertainment in general) is meant to allow people to take a break from real life and entertain the mind. It's for escaping to something different and interesting, not a replica of life.

Hell, even the game series "The Sims" is hardly anything like real life. Honestly.

That's why anime characters don't really look English/American/Japanese/Whatever. It's showbiz, baby.
20487 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F / Narnia
Offline
Posted 2/18/13
.-. .... i dont think i've seen cosplay that bad before o.o some people really need to lose weight before they dress up as a skinny chick >.>
6277 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Somewhere but tha...
Offline
Posted 2/18/13
Because the world wants to be like the Americans. In some places its considered cool just to try to speak english to each other. i grew up in the U.S. so i find that strange but they're not so they think its great
17024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Middle of Nowhere...
Offline
Posted 2/18/13
Why you ask? Their just jealous of our 'open' eyes. No racism here though.

What nationality would this ass usually belong too?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.