First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Why are most Anime characters lacking asian features?
10135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 2/19/13

magicuser360 wrote:

I think it's because the artstyle of anime (basically the bigger eyes, cartoony features) are based on Disney cartoons from way back. Now it's evolved into anime, but it still stems from that cartoon look.

However...

I do sometimes think it is also because they just LIKE large eyes since they don't have non-Asian eyes. Not saying this to be mean or anything, but basing this on some blogs written by non-Asians AND Asians alike. And come on...non-Asian features are popular in Asia.

What cracks me up though, if you see a non-Japanese in an anime, they usually will be drawn more "Asain" - smaller eyes/dark eyes, black hair. Like, a Chinese person or something. I think that stems more from racial tensions between Japanese and non-Japanese Asians but that is another story.

Again though, I do sometimes find it annoying how non-Asians are portrayed. For instance in the awesome manga Banana Fish, the story takes places n 80's gang filled America.

There are lot of black characters, and they are drawn with African hair, thicker lips, etc. They are Japanese characters as well, but they are drawn like anime characters with bigger eyes and non-Asian features. I mean...Come on. If you can draw black characters and make them look typically African, then you can also draw Asian characters and make them look Asian! Otherwise it is not fair.

Or like for instance, an Indian character. They always make them dark skinned, with dark hair/eyes. Now, a lot of Indians have these features, and yet, a lot of Indians have light skin, colored eyes and non-black hair as well. Just like how some Asians (Cabodians, Vietnamese) have larger eyes, darker skin.

And not all Europeans have blond hair and blue eyes. The majority have dark hair for one, and many have dark eyes. It's mostly in Scanny countries you get the blond/blue mix, and even then dark hair is quite full.

I think they need VARIETY, and if they are going to draw the characters more realistically, they need to draw the Japanese characters more realistically as well along with everyone else.


This is exactly my point! They go out of their way to add detail to certain characters but dont always do that with the main character and I just wondered why. Most of the people who felt the need to "answer" my question pretty much had no clue or were just looking to make it into something that it isn't and talk shit...
10135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 2/19/13

MountainMew wrote:


CLarose wrote:


Taedrin wrote:
Because the Japanese artist will draw their characters in a way that they perceive them - not as how we will see them. As Americans, we identify foreigners by the physical features which differ from our own. In reality, these differences form but a very small subset from all of the features which make us human. Why should a Japanese artist draw a Japanese character in such a way that it conforms to our stereotypes? In fact, a Japanese artist will draw a Japanese character in such a way that it conforms to the artist's stereotypes.


How does that explain how some characters look more Asian than others?

And they always draw the one black character in a series with the features that conform to stereotypes.


I don't know what you mean when you say "one looks more Asian than the others". They all look "Asian", some may have some more detail than the other but if they're Asian, they look Asian to Japanese folk.
Your question is, quite frankly, really absurd. Some characters get minimally more details and "Japanese" features, it's just how they're designed. Sometimes it's for a reason, sometimes it isn't, but for the most part the featureless protagonists thing, as I said earlier, is mostly due to simplicity and cheapness. That's it. There's no special, wacky reason: it's just how they are drawn, and generally has a lot to do with conserving features for simplicities sake.


The question is only absurd to you because you fail to understand what I am actually asking and instead of just not answering because you don't understand or asking for clarification, you choose to just critique the validity of the question then answer when you don't even really know.

My question was why do the artists decide to add more detail to some characters that show more ethnic features and then draw the protagonist of the series with a lack of descriptive features.

Dont worry about answering though. Im just going to assume that the artist dont add detail to the protagonists because they want to try their best to visually set them apart from the rest of the characters. Im not sure if anyone said that already because there were so many bullshit answers from people who assumed that I was just asking "why do anime characters all look white" when that wasn't my question at all.
Posted 2/19/13

CLarose wrote:


magicuser360 wrote:

I think it's because the artstyle of anime (basically the bigger eyes, cartoony features) are based on Disney cartoons from way back. Now it's evolved into anime, but it still stems from that cartoon look.

However...

I do sometimes think it is also because they just LIKE large eyes since they don't have non-Asian eyes. Not saying this to be mean or anything, but basing this on some blogs written by non-Asians AND Asians alike. And come on...non-Asian features are popular in Asia.

What cracks me up though, if you see a non-Japanese in an anime, they usually will be drawn more "Asain" - smaller eyes/dark eyes, black hair. Like, a Chinese person or something. I think that stems more from racial tensions between Japanese and non-Japanese Asians but that is another story.

Again though, I do sometimes find it annoying how non-Asians are portrayed. For instance in the awesome manga Banana Fish, the story takes places n 80's gang filled America.

There are lot of black characters, and they are drawn with African hair, thicker lips, etc. They are Japanese characters as well, but they are drawn like anime characters with bigger eyes and non-Asian features. I mean...Come on. If you can draw black characters and make them look typically African, then you can also draw Asian characters and make them look Asian! Otherwise it is not fair.

Or like for instance, an Indian character. They always make them dark skinned, with dark hair/eyes. Now, a lot of Indians have these features, and yet, a lot of Indians have light skin, colored eyes and non-black hair as well. Just like how some Asians (Cabodians, Vietnamese) have larger eyes, darker skin.

And not all Europeans have blond hair and blue eyes. The majority have dark hair for one, and many have dark eyes. It's mostly in Scanny countries you get the blond/blue mix, and even then dark hair is quite full.

I think they need VARIETY, and if they are going to draw the characters more realistically, they need to draw the Japanese characters more realistically as well along with everyone else.


This is exactly my point! They go out of their way to add detail to certain characters but dont always do that with the main character and I just wondered why. Most of the people who felt the need to "answer" my question pretty much had no clue or were just looking to make it into something that it isn't and talk shit...


Yeah lol. Majority of people missed the point of this topic, or just praised Japan blindly. I'm still going to stick to the point of racial problems in Japan which results in how Japanese and non-Japanese-Asians are perceived in anime/manga etc, because there is a LOT. As for non-Asians it is mostly stereotypes either good or bad.

598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 2/19/13
This shit's fucking old. They do not look European already, they look Japanese.

Subtle nose, subtle chin - Typical East Asian.
- Round eyes, subtle cheekbones, puffy cheeks, fair complexion - Typical Japanese/Korean
- Squinty eyes, prominent cheekbones, medium to fair complexion - Typical Chinese
- Round eyes, prominent cheekbones, tan to fair complexion - Typical Austronesian
13697 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Somewhere.... per...
Offline
Posted 2/19/13
Because they are drawn by Japanese with their culture...
The same way why comics character looks like westerners...
6306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / CA
Offline
Posted 2/19/13 , edited 2/19/13
well i think one of the answers to your question why some look more "asian " then the other lets say about the eyes might have to do with the characters personality ,in anime it seems that the bigger the eyes of the character mean how much more innocent they are. ( with a few exceptions such as Higerashi) or maybe because if the character is more simpler looking a person can relate to them better maybe?
13697 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Somewhere.... per...
Offline
Posted 2/19/13

shadow_grey wrote:

This shit's fucking old. They do not look European already, they look Japanese.

Subtle nose, subtle chin - Typical East Asian.
- Round eyes, subtle cheekbones, puffy cheeks, fair complexion - Typical Japanese/Korean
- Squinty eyes, prominent cheekbones, medium to fair complexion - Typical Chinese
- Round eyes, prominent cheekbones, tan to fair complexion - Typical Austronesian


Personally I think that Chinese, Japanese& Korean looks pretty similar.
Chinese as in Southern China, Taiwan, South-East Asian Chinese.
6306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / CA
Offline
Posted 2/19/13

ok here are some examples does anyone think some look more "Asain" then others?
598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 2/19/13

shuyi000 wrote:



Personally I think that Chinese, Japanese& Korean looks pretty similar.
Chinese as in Southern China, Taiwan, South-East Asian Chinese.


When some western people think about Asians, they picture more Chinese features. Japanese people are usually easy to distinguish from Chinese. There are exceptions though, depending on the individual. Korean features are somewhat in-between Japanese and Chinese but they look more like Japanese than they do Chinese.
Posted 2/19/13
In japan beauty is blonde hair and big blue eyes.
Posted 2/19/13

kaptainkooleio wrote:

Why you ask? Their just jealous of our 'open' eyes. No racism here though.

What nationality would this ass usually belong too?


I don't think I have ever seen an ass shine like that tbh
18774 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17
Online
Posted 2/19/13 , edited 2/19/13

CLarose wrote:


MountainMew wrote:


CLarose wrote:


Taedrin wrote:
Because the Japanese artist will draw their characters in a way that they perceive them - not as how we will see them. As Americans, we identify foreigners by the physical features which differ from our own. In reality, these differences form but a very small subset from all of the features which make us human. Why should a Japanese artist draw a Japanese character in such a way that it conforms to our stereotypes? In fact, a Japanese artist will draw a Japanese character in such a way that it conforms to the artist's stereotypes.


How does that explain how some characters look more Asian than others?

And they always draw the one black character in a series with the features that conform to stereotypes.


I don't know what you mean when you say "one looks more Asian than the others". They all look "Asian", some may have some more detail than the other but if they're Asian, they look Asian to Japanese folk.
Your question is, quite frankly, really absurd. Some characters get minimally more details and "Japanese" features, it's just how they're designed. Sometimes it's for a reason, sometimes it isn't, but for the most part the featureless protagonists thing, as I said earlier, is mostly due to simplicity and cheapness. That's it. There's no special, wacky reason: it's just how they are drawn, and generally has a lot to do with conserving features for simplicities sake.


The question is only absurd to you because you fail to understand what I am actually asking and instead of just not answering because you don't understand or asking for clarification, you choose to just critique the validity of the question then answer when you don't even really know.

My question was why do the artists decide to add more detail to some characters that show more ethnic features and then draw the protagonist of the series with a lack of descriptive features.

Dont worry about answering though. Im just going to assume that the artist dont add detail to the protagonists because they want to try their best to visually set them apart from the rest of the characters. Im not sure if anyone said that already because there were so many bullshit answers from people who assumed that I was just asking "why do anime characters all look white" when that wasn't my question at all.


But I did answer your question. I think you're the one failing to comprehend people's answers.
Simplicity, cheapness, no reason, as a joke, specific reference, mockery; There's your reasons. I've said most of that three times now, and none of my answers were in response to "Why anime characters look white". They were why certain characters have more details, don't pretend I didn't get your question please.
17024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Middle of Nowhere...
Offline
Posted 2/19/13

-Hikikomori- wrote:


kaptainkooleio wrote:

Why you ask? Their just jealous of our 'open' eyes. No racism here though.

What nationality would this ass usually belong too?


I don't think I have ever seen an ass shine like that tbh


its possible, just get oil
19956 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Oslo
Offline
Posted 2/19/13
Aren't they kind of limited with only drawing asian features? wouldn't it be more interesting for the viewer to see something new?
Sailor Candy Moderator
165696 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 10/1/13 , edited 10/1/13
It's literally been over a half a year, plus 2 months since this was last posted in. Feel free to recreate if you so desire. Closed due to inactivity.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.