First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply How Old is a Classic?
Member
24614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 5/20/13

blaise0316 wrote:


I think Cowboy Bebop had an episode with a Betamax in it. Maybe there's an anime with a tribute to the LD?
Possibly. I might have to rewatch the Ah! My Goddess anime again sometime, as Keiichi might have one lying around since he collects and holds dear retro machines of all sorts.

Member
3891 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / In a superego lacuna
Offline
Posted 5/22/13

AliMcJ wrote:

A classic does not have an age to it: generally speaking, it is something that will appeal to you at different ages in different ways, something that you continue to learn from because your point of view changes with age and a good classic will hold up under re-reading, re-viewing, re-listening at different points in your life with changing meanings.

"Naruto" is already a classic: it is rich enough in depth to be viewed many times and to discover new things each time.

The expression, "Children's Classics" (in books) refers to books that appeal to generations of children, year after year, like Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Peter Rabbit ...

vintage = over 15-20 years old
antique = over 100 years old


Great post! I love re-reading certain books or re-watching movies and anime that I had experienced when I was younger because, well, I can't remember all the details even if I remember there was something wonderful about them, and because the moments of personal significance do change over time.

Listening to music is different for me though. Even if if I find new music to love, I tend to add it to playlist rather than shelving the old stuff in favor of the new, since songs are so short anyway. I've pretty much always continued listening to the old music all along, so the meaning doesn't change episodically, more like layers keep piling on. I guess re-reading and re-watching are like that, but the shifts are more consciously abrupt than a gentle slide.

It's all good.


Member
3891 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / In a superego lacuna
Offline
Posted 5/22/13

blaise0316 wrote:


forsakenmage wrote:


AsahinaInu wrote:


blaise0316 wrote:

It's not Japanese anime but does anyone remember Fire and Ice? There's a classic.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_and_Ice_(1983_film)
I had that on Laserdisc(something which only people in this group probably have ever even heard of).

As to whats a classic is, its pretty much anything that pioneered something new, was an exceptional take on an established idea, and/or something that has endured. I guess you would define a classic as anything that not only is well regarded but is well remembered.



I don't recall having watched Fire and Ice but dear God, the laserdisc. It was a behemoth worth a giggle even then, but I'll have to say, it was quite the discovery back in the day when anime was much harder to come by. I knew someone who had a laserdisc player and easy access to LD rentals/purchases, and he helped me binge on anime that would have taken me much longer to find, and with better picture quality. Actually, he introduced me to a lot of anime in LD and VHS that I had not previously heard of since he knew how to get them from foreign markets instead of waiting for American releases. I was not so knowledgeable about such things. Good times.


Lucky you. Haha. The discs were big weren't they? Craziness. The anime prices were way too much for a poor college student like me at the time. I had a friend who had one and had Alien and Aliens on LD. Great quality and they had some bonus footage to boot.

I think Cowboy Bebop had an episode with a Betamax in it. Maybe there's an anime with a tribute to the LD?


I was very lucky! I had only watched anime on TV, VHS rentals which there weren't many of, and stuff the college anime club brought in. Had no idea where those guys got their stash. I don't think I knew laserdiscs existed until my friend showed them to me. I was like, what the hell is that thing and why is it so damn big?

I didn't buy anime either until well after college, so I'm always behind on the technology. I got my first Blu-ray last year, and it happened to be the Alien movies. My first Blu-ray anime was Hellsing Ultimate. Now that was worth it!

Cowboy Bebop did have an episode where Spike and Jet went to a museum of technology or electronics or something like that to search for a Betamax player. I still have a VCR, "just in case."

Oh, BTW, I finally did see Fire and Ice. Definitely not anime-style but fantastic story and artwork.
Member
3891 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / In a superego lacuna
Offline
Posted 5/22/13

AsahinaInu wrote:


blaise0316 wrote:


I think Cowboy Bebop had an episode with a Betamax in it. Maybe there's an anime with a tribute to the LD?
Possibly. I might have to rewatch the Ah! My Goddess anime again sometime, as Keiichi might have one lying around since he collects and holds dear retro machines of all sorts.



I started watching Ah! My Goddess! in my college anime club, which was many, many years ago, but I don't think the club ever finished it. Maybe I should look into that...

44329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / United States
Offline
Posted 5/23/13

forsakenmage
Oh, BTW, I finally did see Fire and Ice. Definitely not anime-style but fantastic story and artwork.


Glad you liked it.


forsakenmage
I started watching Ah! My Goddess! in my college anime club, which was many, many years ago, but I don't think the club ever finished it. Maybe I should look into that...


I watched a bunch of those in college as well. Awesome animation but the story is so slow............................
Member
3891 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / In a superego lacuna
Offline
Posted 5/28/13

blaise0316 wrote

forsakenmage
I started watching Ah! My Goddess! in my college anime club, which was many, many years ago, but I don't think the club ever finished it. Maybe I should look into that...

I watched a bunch of those in college as well. Awesome animation but the story is so slow............................


Yeah, that's how I felt about it too. The same feeling I had when I watched Chobits. Gorgeous artwork and great premise but the execution just dragged. I wasn't cut out to watch most of these romance things.

Member
24614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 5/29/13

forsakenmage wrote:

Yeah, that's how I felt about it too. The same feeling I had when I watched Chobits. Gorgeous artwork and great premise but the execution just dragged. I wasn't cut out to watch most of these romance things.


Yeah I can see how a lot of romance genre anime could drag on for people. Luckily for me I tend not to have that problem. I think I'm lucky in that I can enjoy a wide variety of material, and pacing doesn't bother me unless the pacing feels "incorrect" for what I'm watching. I care much more about the overall experience, and can find things in any genre that I enjoy, or at least can appreciate.

Personally I've always enjoyed AMG, but then again Ive been reading the manga for quite sometime. Its nice because its an ongoing manga that started so long ago(1988-current, so almost 25 years ongoing) that it feels different, more vintage, from most everything else that comes today while still being something you can look forward to seeing something new every couple of months or so.
Member
3891 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / In a superego lacuna
Offline
Posted 6/19/13

AsahinaInu wrote:


forsakenmage wrote:

Yeah, that's how I felt about it too. The same feeling I had when I watched Chobits. Gorgeous artwork and great premise but the execution just dragged. I wasn't cut out to watch most of these romance things.


Yeah I can see how a lot of romance genre anime could drag on for people. Luckily for me I tend not to have that problem. I think I'm lucky in that I can enjoy a wide variety of material, and pacing doesn't bother me unless the pacing feels "incorrect" for what I'm watching. I care much more about the overall experience, and can find things in any genre that I enjoy, or at least can appreciate.

Personally I've always enjoyed AMG, but then again Ive been reading the manga for quite sometime. Its nice because its an ongoing manga that started so long ago(1988-current, so almost 25 years ongoing) that it feels different, more vintage, from most everything else that comes today while still being something you can look forward to seeing something new every couple of months or so.


You are lucky! That's great following something for so long. I keep thinking how something like Naruto/Shippuden is considered shounen but if you started out with it as a kid in the target audience group and followed it all along, you would be an "older" manga/anime fan by now. We all started somewhere with this stuff. Some of us just refuse to outgrow it.

I used to watch anything available, especially in the college anime club, and enjoyed everything for the artwork. But I've known for a long time that the actual plot of a cute romance is not my favorite go-to genre in any medium. So now with my various queues piling up exponentially compared to the time I have available to partake, those poor romances tend to keep falling somewhere low on the list. But you know, if someone egged me into watching or reading a romance because it's special to them, I find that I do enjoy it, perhaps partly because I'm unconsciously haunted by the other person's attachment to it. Like right now, someone loaned me their Alice In the Country of Hearts manga because they just really love it. The reverse harem subplot was kind of...hmmm...but I'm really enjoying it now because it's imaginative and has nice art. I guess I have to remind myself to keep an open mind!
Member
23213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Oregon coast
Offline
Posted 7/29/13

-Paul- wrote:

Another classic would be Gunbuster (1988), if you guys havent seen it, you should watch it. Its the anime that made me such a big fan of anime. And when i saw it as a child i remember being moved. And it still moves me to this day.


"Back in the day", when I was starting out on Anime, about the only place you could get anime was mail order VHS from the back of a magazine, you had a title and had to take the chance on what you recieved. Gunbuster was one of my first purchases, and it was a winner.
Member
24614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 8/11/13

blaise0316 wrote:


I think Cowboy Bebop had an episode with a Betamax in it. Maybe there's an anime with a tribute to the LD?
I was re watching Bamboo Blade with my wife, since she'd never seen it, and I had forgotten that Kojiro bribes Tamaki with a mysterious anime collectors item for her to pretend to be two people in order to fill in two roster positions in a match. When she opens the packaged item later it turns out to be a laserdisc of "Macross: Do you remember love?". She neither recognizes the anime or has any idea what the laserdisc itself is. It made me smile because the reference itself was about the differences in the generation gap of older and younger anime fans.
Member
17 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Everett, Massachu...
Offline
Posted 9/11/13
I'd give any series a minimum of 15 years in order for 'classic' consideration. But more important is richness in storyline, character development, music, and a manner of uniqueness in exploring new concepts never seen before or practiced. Evangelion, Sailor Moon, Rurouni Kenshin, etc. are series that fit these descriptors as examples. But to me, what's considered a classic can be subjective and can be determined by anyone in their own mind how they best see it.
Member
33 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 10/6/13
Classic has more to do with how something resonates with it's audience. How many times have you seen something or heard something and said "instant classic".

It's sort of an intangible that doesn't have much to do with time but with how genuine and relatable the art form is.
Member
24079 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / Michigan
Offline
Posted 12/29/13
Gah. Now 'Classic' makes me feel old. LOL! I don't feel that old, but Gunsmith Cats?! The Slayers?! Classics?!?!?! Dang. That's probably because of when i got into anime...

To me classics are Maison Ikkoku and Rose of Versailles... But i know that's me denying the year..
93787 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / London, England, UK
Offline
Posted 9/15/16
Any animes made from the early 90's to 2000 are considered classic ones to me personally
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.