First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
Post Reply Things I hate about anime!
44076 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Alaska
Offline
Posted 2/26/13
a couple pointers, every story has the refusal, when the hero doesnt want to deal with the situation. Then there's usually a conflict where they fail 2 or 3 times or how ever many. and theres a final action ( i think i got my action/conflict mixed up but still)
9998 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 2/26/13

mhibicke wrote:

Hmmm... so many interesting responses to this thread, with the exception of the person who doesn't like Gantz. Ok, so they decided to end it and did a half-assed job of rushing something dissatisfying through. The manga is still rocking and one of the best action manga you could find. Understandably, gritty seinen action isn't for everyone, but NOWHERE in Gantz will you find any of the complaints below, or in most of the thread.

I would like to respond to this, though.

Infantpooch wrote:

Well I was sitting here talking to my ole lady(who is a huge anime fan as I am) and we was talking about how people always talk about their favorite animes and why they love anime, but no one ever talk about what they hate about anime.

So I am here to say some stuff I hate about anime and here it goes:

1. When the hero explains his skill to the enemy
2. How today's anime has little 2 year ole half naked girls(When I was growing up off anime we had grown women not half naked little girls)
3.How when a hero gets beat up and some how gets the heart of the tiger and come back and win the fight
4.How the main male character ALWAYS seem to be afraid of women( I mean serious you got all these women trying to have sex with you and you scared? REALLY? I would kill to be in a situation like that)
Edit:
5. When they have 1 on 1 fights with the bad guys. I mean like really this guy trying to kill everyone on the planet and you worried about a fair fight? I am happy it's just a anime and people in the real world don't think that way.
6. When the guys look like girls. I think they are promoting homosexuality. I mean if your gay I am find with that but keep it behind close doors, back in the days we did not have that type of stuff guys look like guys and girls look like girls. I really hope I don't offend noone but my friend is gay and even he says he don't like how so many animes got guys looking like girls
There is some more stuff I just can't think of it at the moment.


1) The hero explaining his skill to the enemy is a patch for lousy storytelling. Basically, the producers of the show realize that if they don't spell it out nice and slow, the audience won't figure it out on their own. This isn't because the audience is stupid, but because the show hasn't done a good enough job telling the story up to that point. Either it's been boring or it's been rushed. Anyway, anime isn't the only sinner here - every storytelling media does this and for the same reasons.

2) Yeah, I don't get it either.

3-5) This only happens in shounen, which is written and produced to appeal to boys between 10 and 17. If you want something more mature, you have to move on to seinen, which is written and produced to appeal to men 18 and up.

6) This one is a little more tricky. Remember that pretty boys are Japanese national treasures, and if genre work had weight, then anime would collapse under the bishounen (literally meaning "beautiful boy") genre. That aside, the boys in anime aren't drawn to appeal to your gay friend, but to Japanese girls, and their taste determines what Japanese boys try to look like. If you doubt this, check out some of the CR news about the pretty boy celebrities. Here are some links:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/02/22/t-m-revolution-shows-off-crossdressing-skills-in-magazine
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2013/02/24/500-japanese-women-pick-the-top-10-dream-celebrity-boyfriends


That is interesting. Do you know what is made to appeal to females 18+ ?
4829 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
USA
Offline
Posted 2/26/13

Infantpooch wrote:

2. How today's anime has little 2 year ole half naked girls(When I was growing up off anime we had grown women not half naked little girls)
3.How when a hero gets beat up and some how gets the heart of the tiger and come back and win the fight
4.How the main male character ALWAYS seem to be afraid of women( I mean serious you got all these women trying to have sex with you and you scared? REALLY? I would kill to be in a situation like that)
Edit:
6. When the guys look like girls. I think they are promoting homosexuality. I mean if your gay I am find with that but keep it behind close doors, back in the days we did not have that type of stuff guys look like guys and girls look like girls. I really hope I don't offend noone but my friend is gay and even he says he don't like how so many animes got guys looking like girls
There is some more stuff I just can't think of it at the moment.


A lot of this has to do with unoriginality in my opinion. So many anime want to be the best in all aspects and they often use old techniques that we've all grown tired of (like the almost died but somehow wins scene). Another thing is the change in the audience's sexuality. Now that lolis and traps are more generally accepted, they target that specific audience that they know will buy all the DVDs and figurines by appealing to what they like instead of being more creative than that. I know most anime has a girl or guy that appeals to a certain audience, but the time to stop is when all the characters are predictable. As for the gender-bender... I guess now since homosexuality is more known and accepted, they include more of those things since there are people who do really like that, much like I mentioned about authors appealing to the audience.

25729 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Urban South
Offline
Posted 2/26/13

mojojooo wrote:

That is interesting. Do you know what is made to appeal to females 18+ ?

Shoujo is for girls 10-17 and josei is for women 18+.
432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 2/26/13 , edited 2/26/13
edit: Ah! she beat me to it!! ^


mojojooo wrote:



That is interesting. Do you know what is made to appeal to females 18+ ?


It's called Josei. Here's a list of the most common manga demographics (applies also to anime):

Shōnen - boys, roughly 8-18
Shoujo - girls, roughly 8-18
Josei - younger women, roughly 18-40
Seinen - younger men, roughly 18-40

22510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Louisiana
Offline
Posted 2/26/13 , edited 2/26/13

mhibicke wrote:

Hmmm... so many interesting responses to this thread, with the exception of the person who doesn't like Gantz. Ok, so they decided to end it and did a half-assed job of rushing something dissatisfying through. The manga is still rocking and one of the best action manga you could find. Understandably, gritty seinen action isn't for everyone, but NOWHERE in Gantz will you find any of the complaints below, or in most of the thread.



Lol I just give GANTZ a hard time, I haven't seen more than a few episodes. I should point out that I thought Speed Grapher was good, despite the similarities between the two.

Since I gave the only uninteresting response, I'll give a proper one now:

1. The Bishoujo design aesthetic. I can take lolis and moe girls just fine, but once I see that Uguu~ I hate it lol

2. Overly dramatic shows. Code Geass and Death Note both suffered from this. (Death Note had other problems, but...) But even where shows don't necessarily need it, they still get it. K-On! was a perfectly adorable show filled with happiness until the main focus became the bittersweet prospect of leaving your friends to go off to college. Maybe it just hits me too hard. The Pet Girl of Sakurasou also gets into this territory.

3. Either too much science in sci-fi or an uneven handling of science/fantasy elements. Inception is the first example that comes to mind, so maybe this doesn't belong here lol. A Certain Magical Index rests some serious plot points on how weird in-universe pseudo-science plays out.

4. Ho Yay, gay undertones. I can usually avoid this, but it happens where Seinen and Shoujo have crossover appeal. K Project had this in spades, even though I thought the not-overly-manly main character was actually a good change of pace. Les Yay counts, too.
Posted 2/26/13
Well, one thing I hate about anime actually made me stop midway through on a anime I was really enjoying. I was totally enjoying YuYu Hakusho until....



For some reason it just ruined all of the emotional buildup and left me thinking 'how stupid'. I just dropped it right there.

Plus, everything about DragonBall Z. Sure it was cool when i was younger. Thinking back on it though, probably the dumbest anime I've ever seen. Cool characters, awesome powers and abilities, and definitely should be considered a classic. But there were so many battles that should've ended after two episodes that lasted fifteen. It makes my skin crawl.
13789 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Louisiana
Offline
Posted 2/27/13
Too many to type. Just way too many.
8299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Australia
Offline
Posted 2/27/13
...Moe.

Seriously, F%^K moe.
7759 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Washington
Offline
Posted 2/27/13

sillyriri wrote:


Dropplet wrote:


Shisako wrote:


At least Madoka Magika bucked this trend. =D Was frilly, yes, but much more dark. =)
Also, I always thought it'd be funny to have a series with Magical girls as adults. (No I don't mean Sentai shows.) I mean adults that have to deal with Card Captor Sakura stuff. Lol. Excel Saga was close with this, and Puni Puni Poemi had some also, with the Aasu sisters. (Same director~ crazy, huh?!)
Yes, there were adults in Sailor Moon (Pluto and Tux, etc.) but they sort of glossed over how Tux had time to go save Sailor Moon with work/ School going on. LOL.
Also, the thought of 30 year old ladies (or even guys) showing up in pink frills to defeat some bad guy, trying to get their wand out of their purse/ briefcase just amuses me.


Well I guess I'm meaning more superheros than magical girls persay. Like minus the transformation sequence but have some BA action and costumes that also don't degrade the female sex.


I'd totally recommend Seirei no Moribito to you.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1827/Seirei_no_Moribito

The main character, Balsa, is one of my favourite female characters ever. She's badass and a fighter. She has a romantic side plot that's mature and doesn't get in the way of the main plotline. At no point is it implied that being a warrior makes her any less feminine. She's a great character from the beginning, but still has positive character development. I can't even list all the reasons I like her; I just wish there were more anime heroines like her.


Oh mee gee I love this show so far! Thank you for the recommending it!
16108 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/27/13
What I hate about anime are fans that hate certain elements of anime without taking any time to research why those elements exist in the first place. Mostly I hate the people that expect anime to center around their country's moral compass.
18158 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Birmingham, Ala
Offline
Posted 2/27/13

taonas wrote:

What I hate about anime are fans that hate certain elements of anime without taking any time to research why those elements exist in the first place. Mostly I hate the people that expect anime to center around their country's moral compass.


If this was aimed at me then let me explain/ I am a bit sadden at most modern anime do to the fact that their have no creativity, and they take the same stuff and use it over and over again. Plus they do stuff that noone in r/l would do even japanese people.

I love anime and been watching it for a long time a very long time before some of these people on this site was even born. The reason I fell in love with anime because of the creativity, the fact I can watching this amazing show and dream I was apart of the show, The mind blowing fights and twisted story pots. (Most ) Animes these day don't have that, they just copy off other animes only for a quick sell. What I hope for this post to do is change the common stuff what people don't like about anime, like hopefully a pubisher read this or someone with some connection.

That being said , there are some animes of these days that I love it have creativity, mind blowing stories and amazing fight scences like :
Problem children from another world
SAO
Hunter x Hunter
there is a lot more but I am a bit to drunk to remember them
41 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 2/27/13

Infantpooch wrote:

...Then when you did see little girl they didn't show off their body like she some little prostitute


Take that back! xD

Illyasviel von Einzbern from Fate/stay night never paraded her body around at all! Well, she didn't in the anime at least o.o I don't know about the visual novel...

She is so kawaii x.x
Posted 2/27/13 , edited 2/27/13

chase6565 wrote:

Well, one thing I hate about anime actually made me stop midway through on a anime I was really enjoying. I was totally enjoying YuYu Hakusho until....



For some reason it just ruined all of the emotional buildup and left me thinking 'how stupid'. I just dropped it right there.

Plus, everything about DragonBall Z. Sure it was cool when i was younger. Thinking back on it though, probably the dumbest anime I've ever seen. Cool characters, awesome powers and abilities, and definitely should be considered a classic. But there were so many battles that should've ended after two episodes that lasted fifteen. It makes my skin crawl.


Lmao about the DragonBall Z comment. I totally agree and I actually paid $15.95 for every two episodes on tape when I was younger, but when I recently peeked at an episode on some anime site I was like "how did I have the patients at such a young age"(16-17). Plus the actual animation is out-dated...looks like crap now, but It was my first anime. (It rocked my socks off back then)
Posted 2/27/13

marcel20 wrote:


chase6565 wrote:

Well, one thing I hate about anime actually made me stop midway through on a anime I was really enjoying. I was totally enjoying YuYu Hakusho until....



For some reason it just ruined all of the emotional buildup and left me thinking 'how stupid'. I just dropped it right there.

Plus, everything about DragonBall Z. Sure it was cool when i was younger. Thinking back on it though, probably the dumbest anime I've ever seen. Cool characters, awesome powers and abilities, and definitely should be considered a classic. But there were so many battles that should've ended after two episodes that lasted fifteen. It makes my skin crawl.


Lmao about the DragonBall Z comment. I totally agree and I actually paid $15.95 for every two episodes on tape when I was younger, but when I recently peeked at an episode on some anime site I was like "how did I have the patients at such a young age"(16-17). Plus the actual animation is out-dated...looks like crap now, but It was my first anime. (It rocked my socks off back then)


Bro, I feel ya. I totally bought the vhs tapes that were in that big pack with 'Complete Cell Saga' on it back in the day. Looking back on it, what a waste of money. i could've bought soooo many videogames with how much money I spent on that stuff. i even did what you did and went on a anime site just for some nostalgia and started watching the Frieza saga (or is it called Namek saga???). I was shocked at how dumb it was. For some reason though I won't go as far as saying it's not a classic. But all the plot is: Die, brought back to life with dragon balls (for fifth time. No joke, I really think Vegeta and Goku were each brought back at least five times), fusion, and then defeat enemy. It will always be apart of my childhood though. Never gonna watch again though, definitely.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.