First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
Post Reply worst anime genre
Banned
33175 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Stoke, England
Offline
Posted 3/3/13




You missed out the Dementia genre, maaan.
15276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Bay Area CA
Offline
Posted 3/3/13 , edited 3/3/13

Jazzer06 wrote:


aidenraine wrote:

never-ending shounen


^This.

I'm a little sad that there's so much mecha hate. Especially when "mecha" as a genre never stands on it's own. It's always a mix of genres, and some are very different than others.


You could say that about any genre. A good anime is the sum of its parts, but for some people mecha is a big negative number that is hard to look past.
16047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Long Island
Offline
Posted 3/3/13
For some reason I can't bring myself to watch any mecha.
12018 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/3/13 , edited 3/3/13
Ive always thought Mecha should not be the main premise of a show, and only use it as a SUPPORTING aspect. but thats just me.
22224 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 3/3/13

tommythecat wrote:


Jazzer06 wrote:


aidenraine wrote:

never-ending shounen


^This.

I'm a little sad that there's so much mecha hate. Especially when "mecha" as a genre never stands on it's own. It's always a mix of genres, and some are very different than others.


You could say that about any genre. A good anime is the sum of its parts, but for some people mecha is a big negative number that is hard to look past.


True, most anime encompass multiple genres, but in my eyes, Mecha isn't even technically qualified to be a genre. It's more like: This is a Comedy... w/Mecha. Or a Game-genre.... w/Mecha. It's an item. A setting. Whatever. You could technically have a "slice of life" just be that. A slice of life. It's not common, but possible. That is not the case with mecha.

So I suppose when I see people hating mecha, it seems like people hating a setting, not the plot. Sure, you can dislike it for that, but I hope people aren't (for their own sakes) passing on mecha shows just because they have mecha in them.
19054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/3/13
I'm going to third the never-ending shounen tally. They're usually pretty entry level monster-of-the-week stuff with tons of filler. Can't stand 'em and how popular they seem to be for no good reason.

And everyone who dislikes mecha has to watch some Robotech, Macross and Patlabor.
47765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 3/3/13 , edited 3/3/13
I'd describe Shounen, Josei, Seinen, Kodomomuke, and Shoujo as demographics. Not specific genres.
29979 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 3/3/13

EvasiveAction wrote:

I'm going to third the never-ending shounen tally. They're usually pretty entry level monster-of-the-week stuff with tons of filler. Can't stand 'em and how popular they seem to be for no good reason.

And everyone who dislikes mecha has to watch some Robotech, Macross and Patlabor.


robotech was so cheezy, though. mostly because it was re-written for kids.. and it came out in the early 80's..

macross plus and frontier are great, though.
Rykami 
11053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Derbyshire, England
Online
Posted 3/3/13
I hated Iron Man 2 quite alot, so I guess mecha?
1333 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Atlanta,Ga,USA
Offline
Posted 3/3/13

gilligan2011 wrote:

Ive always thought Mecha should not be the main premise of a show, and only use it as a SUPPORTING aspect. but thats just me.


you described it perfectly my friend it is really complimented in Code geass like others said and I would say Gundam 00 I have to re-watch neon evangelical it was complicated to understand at the age of like 8-12 couldn't follow alot of it... but i hate harem or school harem: they focus way too much on trying to get the coming of age viewer a boner and try to made him feel like that was him...its nice and awesome teh first 1-5x to watch afterwards its just damn stale... maybe if they were like 1 out of every 20 upcoming anime i would be so damn happy to see them .

Now school animes get some d%mn imagination people i don't want to see a classroom each time i see an anime if i did i would be at school wasting my life away instead of on an imaginative well-drawn world like SAO,Space Bros, Maoyuu, or BTOOM(a secret island awesome) like seriously there are a bunch of subjects that can be built upon each with a different story and different setting i don't care about watching 13-19year olds all the darn like wishing i was living vicariously through them all the time actually focus on making a plot like the unlimited hyoubu kyousuke or however you spell it ...the dude is like 50-80something in a 17-20 yr old body and all the rest of them are adults this can be seen as a seinin but still mix it up JAPAN.

Im tired of seeing constant naivety in the plots and characters leaving nothing to talk about . What do they honestly believe that the avg teenager isn't mature enough to watch/discuss/share insightful-plot rich dicussions on anime like GITSAC:GHOST IN THE SHELL STAND ALONE COMPLEX(can't believe i just typed it but its like my second most fav anime bhind Ruroni kenshin).

Like seriously it doesn't have to be a diamond in the rough but can set animes in the past in other cultures besides japanese and just BS it and use your imagination ..it could be set in south america ..a south american set anime have anyone ever seen one? a mexican-setting based one? like seriously they need to expand their horizons or atleast change the setting temporarily in the animes to places like this after doing some research on the places and trying to give their audience like japanese teenagers-otakus-men-women or foreign viewers a worldly experience not the heavy isolationist feeling(just school setting)

1333 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Atlanta,Ga,USA
Offline
Posted 3/3/13 , edited 3/3/13
EvasiveAction and Aidenrain

The never ending animes you speak of were wildly popular when they came out imagine when you first saw one piece from episode 1-20 you were probably omfgingaldkfjasd this is awesome! thus the crowd pleasers(nver-ending animes) were born well those were born first with the japanese sesame street.. i don't know wht the anime is called..ahh doremon it has like 2k episodes jesus christ.. so much material to draw ..my hand is cramping at the feat... but you know youve seen animes that you nver want to end and these are them... the only problem is when they were all manga followed they nver anticipated the effects of anime catchng up and to manga and having to give the viewer fillers which they don't like cuz they deviate from main conflict in plot but naruto is good Tbh its not overated take out the fillers and it satiates the avg viewer quite honestly read the manga for those animes if u dont want to suffer filler syndrome(headbanging against monitor thinking it was gonna explain the cliffhanger from last episode but trolled to a non related episode). Personally i love those animes cuz when you don't watch them you can marathon them when you wait for the next good 1-13 ep 1-26 ep anime to come out or 1-36-50ep those aren't often tho
20062 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 3/3/13
I have to agree about the Mecha genre to some degree.

I really liked Zoids: Chaotic Century and a fair amount of Zoids: New Century, but there was really a lot more to the show besides Mechs and whatnot. The show had comedy, a bit of romance between characters (though more subtle, if anything) and plenty of action. It was a very suspenseful show when I watched it.

So for me, personally, I don't mind the Mecha genre if it's not so much of a driving factor of the show. Like, there obviously has to be a bigger story and conflict than just engaging in battle after battle. It's not my first choice for a genre, but sometimes it can be done well.
29979 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 3/3/13

Stryker-X wrote:

EvasiveAction and Aidenrain

The never ending animes you speak of were wildly popular when they came out imagine when you first saw one piece from episode 1-20 you were probably omfgingaldkfjasd this is awesome! thus the crowd pleasers(nver-ending animes) were born well those were born first with the japanese sesame street.. i don't know wht the anime is called..ahh doremon it has like 2k episodes jesus christ.. so much material to draw ..my hand is cramping at the feat... but you know youve seen animes that you nver want to end and these are them... the only problem is when they were all manga followed they nver anticipated the effects of anime catchng up and to manga and having to give the viewer fillers which they don't like cuz they deviate from main conflict in plot but naruto is good Tbh its not overated take out the fillers and it satiates the avg viewer quite honestly read the manga for those animes if u dont want to suffer filler syndrome(headbanging against monitor thinking it was gonna explain the cliffhanger from last episode but trolled to a non related episode). Personally i love those animes cuz when you don't watch them you can marathon them when you wait for the next good 1-13 ep 1-26 ep anime to come out or 1-36-50ep those aren't often tho :D


it made my brain hurt, but I did manage to actually read all this... I used to watch naruto and bleach... USED TO. way back when they first started airing. there's a reason I stopped. not just the fillers, but the main plot itself just drags. it's boring. I prefer shorter series because they don't drag out their plot, or lose focus in where the story was going much like never-ending shounen does.
17024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Middle of Nowhere...
Offline
Posted 3/3/13
The Psychological genre is only good when its played right. If not, than the psychological genre is one of the worst.... But only when it dosent work
31484 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Scotland
Offline
Posted 3/3/13

1mirg wrote:
Shoujo-ai - Relates to lesbian romance and relationships, is less graphic than Yuri(its more explicit counterpart). It tends to focus on romance, relationships and character development. Candy Boy, Simoun, Ga-Rei: Zero.

Ga-Rei-Zero is NOT shoujo-ai. Whew, that was bothering me way more than it should have been...

I generally find it hard to get into parody. Usually, I find that I don't know enough about Japan to get what's being parodied, or I haven't seen the anime/played the video game/done the whatever that's being parodied. But I guess I can't blame the shows for me not being Japanese enough.

Horror is another one I don't like, because I find wanton violence boring on its own. Horror scenes that I've seen in anime tend to go purely for shock value, and that doesn't entertain me.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.