First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Space Battleship Yamato 2199
35313 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Maryland, USA
Offline
Posted 12/5/13
I just started watching the series. It's incredible - with awesome visuals and a cool soundtrack that makes you want to sing along. I've compared it to the original and this is super high quality. The first episode is almost a shot for shot remake of the original of the 1970s but the new Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 diverges afterwards. Can't wait to see the live action movie too.
595 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / VA
Offline
Posted 12/6/13
the live action movie is great. i'm about to start watching 2199 this weekend.
23652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Amegakure
Offline
Posted 12/6/13
Don't mind me.
34353 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 12/6/13

deadpanditto wrote:

This version, at least, leads me to believe we can get just the subtitled version. Hopefully they do a good job!
http://starblazers.com/article/star-blazers-2199-%E2%80%A2-dvdblu-ray-on-sale-nowvolume-1-available-thursday-2272014pre-order-starts-thursday-12192013/

I'll be placing my order. :D


It's the subtitling I have issues with.. that's the part they are changing. The fact that they renamed the show already is pissing me off and the fact that the "official" subtitles have the Starblazers terminology along with the ship name Argo is the part that's grating on my nerves. They should have TWO different subtitle tracks.. one official (the actual translation with all the proper Japanese names and terminology) and the Starblazers crap since they apparently love patronizing the nostalgia fans who they forget are not 40+ year old adults.
bhl88 
60515 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/6/13
I ended up importing anyway, the moment they promoted it as Star Blazers 2199.
61121 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 12/6/13

bhl88 wrote:

I ended up importing anyway, the moment they promoted it as Star Blazers 2199.


I'd love to, but at $40+ per volume, it is a little pricey for me atm.
bhl88 
60515 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/6/13

deadpanditto wrote:


bhl88 wrote:

I ended up importing anyway, the moment they promoted it as Star Blazers 2199.


I'd love to, but at $40+ per volume, it is a little pricey for me atm.


How about doing it one by one :p
34353 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 12/9/13
They updated the site again with new news. Seems they heard our freak out over the butchering of the subtitles
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/12/09-1/video-star-blazer-2199-release-plans-outlined-in-new-yamato-news
So it's back to Yamato from Argo and all the names will be identical to the Japanese. Which is fine since they introduce new ones in this series and we won't have this convoluted name screw up if they used both. So what we hear is what we read/see. I'm happy with that.

Yeah.. pricing.. 6 episodes for $45.. 6 volumes with the last one being more expensive because it will have 8 episodes. So about $300 for the first season.. Only one dedicated seller and not online.. Soooooo.. shipping costs? Wtf.. oh this can be a disaster. I'll wait and see.
61121 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 12/9/13
That's great news.

I'm not a big fan of the price, but it is better than importing it from Japan. I'll still bite the bullet and get these. Hopefully they sell well enough that Voyager will put together a cheaper collection. From the sounds of it, that won't happen until at least 2015.
61121 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 12/20/13
And shipping will run about $10. Ouch.
7038 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M
Offline
Posted 12/21/13
I traveled to Japan last August for the theatrical premiere of the final episode. And bought all the Japanese blu-rays (and cd soundtracks, art books, etc etc) I hope to finally get around to writing a blurb about it for Tim Eldred's site sometime over the holiday when I'll finally have like a week to myself without work. Looking forward to going over to a friend's house tomorrow and showing another old-time Star Blazers fan the final blu-ray with subtitles (since he has only seen the chapter 7 episodes raw so far).

Best.

Remake.

Ever.
19403 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / orbiting Jupiter
Online
Posted 12/21/13

DesslerSoto wrote:


Best.

Remake.

Ever.


I'm sold. Who am I to disagree with Leader Dessler.
61121 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 12/22/13

DesslerSoto wrote:

I traveled to Japan last August for the theatrical premiere of the final episode. And bought all the Japanese blu-rays (and cd soundtracks, art books, etc etc) I hope to finally get around to writing a blurb about it for Tim Eldred's site sometime over the holiday when I'll finally have like a week to myself without work. Looking forward to going over to a friend's house tomorrow and showing another old-time Star Blazers fan the final blu-ray with subtitles (since he has only seen the chapter 7 episodes raw so far).

Best.

Remake.

Ever.


Awesome! And now I'm insanely jealous! :D

As much as I love the original, this version is better. I'm looking forward to what they do with The Comet Empire.
7038 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M
Offline
Posted 12/22/13

deadpanditto wrote:

As much as I love the original, this version is better.


Mostly true, but for one little nitpick: some of the story changes in this new version make me look like rather more of a self centered schmuck...
61121 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 12/22/13

DesslerSoto wrote:


deadpanditto wrote:

As much as I love the original, this version is better.


Mostly true, but for one little nitpick: some of the story changes in this new version make me look like rather more of a self centered schmuck...


True, but you really shine in the original sequels. Here's hoping they haven't messed with that.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.