Remove this ad
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Unpopular anime opinions!
One Punch Mod
41180 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Online
Posted 3/6/13 , edited 3/6/13

AsahinaInu wrote:


chase6565 wrote:

And for my unpopular anime opinion: "The Endless Eight" episodes from Haruhi Suzumiya should not be hated. They fit PERFECTLY with the feel of the series. I know they are annoying and I probably couldn't watch them again. But geez I'm glad I watched them all. Now bring on a season 3 pleaseeee!!!
I got your back on this one. It'd be hard for me to watch four hours of endless eight again, but I'm glad I watched them and in my opinion, as well as my wife's opinion, they are actually a work of art(and by that I mean that they have artistic value, not necessarily that I am extolling their grandiose virtue).

Considering how much we are subject to literal use, reuse, and reuse of artwork in most anime to cut down on the amount of stuff that people actually have to animate and to fill time with, I think it was kind of a bold statement that they took the endless eight plot and decided to animate it over eight episodes, but used very little(if any) reused artwork, for the entire thing, which you know has to be tempting considering how the story goes. It was almost a middle finger to the rest of the anime industry. I mean look at your average Naruto episode and see how much art is reused spent in pointless flashbacks, sometime from the SAME episode.

Endless eight is pretty much forced to rehash the same events over and over again with little deviation due to the nature of the story, but they take great care with making sure that even though the events are near identical, much of the minute detail is different from episode to episode and the animation isn't exactly cheap looking. Its comical irony at its finest.

Now don't get me wrong endless eight was probably a pretty dumb move from a money making entertainment perspective as it is grueling to watch, made the second run feel empty of material, and most people can't appreciate that type of art, but it was awesome from an artistic standpoint.



Endless Eight is absolutely my favorite part of Haruhi Suzmiya, and I didn't find it at all painful. I don't tend to be much of a rewatcher of shows, but if I were to go back and rewatch parts of this series, there are some episodes I'd skip (the "murder mystery" one), but I'd really, really want to rewatch Endless Eight, back to back

15058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F
Offline
Posted 3/6/13
As much as I want to, I can't get into The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I found it really boring and dropped it with only a few episodes to go. I may go back to it just because I heard Disappearance is really awesome, but I just don't find the plot to be very engaging. I actually enjoy Haruhi and Kyon as characters but the others seem really meh to me.
19405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Delaware
Offline
Posted 3/6/13 , edited 3/6/13
SAO was shit even by shit standards

OH, and bleach isn't THAT bad... I actually found it entertaining.
Posted 3/6/13 , edited 3/6/13

thegirlanachronism wrote:

As much as I want to, I can't get into The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I found it really boring and dropped it with only a few episodes to go. I may go back to it just because I heard Disappearance is really awesome, but I just don't find the plot to be very engaging. I actually enjoy Haruhi and Kyon as characters but the others seem really meh to me.


I understand this, too. ^ To be honest i didn't find the series engaging at all at first. I can't really tell you when I started really loving the series. i know some people who begin off hating a series usually have a 'certain episode' at where the anime gets good but I just started liking it. The coolest thing about the show is that it's really the characters that I like so much while the plot is pretty cool too. it's really a character-driven experience for me. I definitely say keep pushing on because the movie really is pretty dang good. You'll really enjoy the movie I think.


lorreen wrote:


AsahinaInu wrote:


chase6565 wrote:

And for my unpopular anime opinion: "The Endless Eight" episodes from Haruhi Suzumiya should not be hated. They fit PERFECTLY with the feel of the series. I know they are annoying and I probably couldn't watch them again. But geez I'm glad I watched them all. Now bring on a season 3 pleaseeee!!!
I got your back on this one. It'd be hard for me to watch four hours of endless eight again, but I'm glad I watched them and in my opinion, as well as my wife's opinion, they are actually a work of art(and by that I mean that they have artistic value, not necessarily that I am extolling their grandiose virtue).

Considering how much we are subject to literal use, reuse, and reuse of artwork in most anime to cut down on the amount of stuff that people actually have to animate and to fill time with, I think it was kind of a bold statement that they took the endless eight plot and decided to animate it over eight episodes, but used very little(if any) reused artwork, for the entire thing, which you know has to be tempting considering how the story goes. It was almost a middle finger to the rest of the anime industry. I mean look at your average Naruto episode and see how much art is reused spent in pointless flashbacks, sometime from the SAME episode.

Endless eight is pretty much forced to rehash the same events over and over again with little deviation due to the nature of the story, but they take great care with making sure that even though the events are near identical, much of the minute detail is different from episode to episode and the animation isn't exactly cheap looking. Its comical irony at its finest.

Now don't get me wrong endless eight was probably a pretty dumb move from a money making entertainment perspective as it is grueling to watch, made the second run feel empty of material, and most people can't appreciate that type of art, but it was awesome from an artistic standpoint.



Endless Eight is absolutely my favorite part of Haruhi Suzmiya, and I didn't find it at all painful. I don't tend to be much of a rewatcher of shows, but if I were to go back and rewatch parts of this series, there are some episodes I'd skip (the "mystery murder" one), but I'd really, really want to rewatch Endless Eight, back to back




AsahinaInu wrote:


chase6565 wrote:

And for my unpopular anime opinion: "The Endless Eight" episodes from Haruhi Suzumiya should not be hated. They fit PERFECTLY with the feel of the series. I know they are annoying and I probably couldn't watch them again. But geez I'm glad I watched them all. Now bring on a season 3 pleaseeee!!!
I got your back on this one. It'd be hard for me to watch four hours of endless eight again, but I'm glad I watched them and in my opinion, as well as my wife's opinion, they are actually a work of art(and by that I mean that they have artistic value, not necessarily that I am extolling their grandiose virtue).

Considering how much we are subject to literal use, reuse, and reuse of artwork in most anime to cut down on the amount of stuff that people actually have to animate and to fill time with, I think it was kind of a bold statement that they took the endless eight plot and decided to animate it over eight episodes, but used very little(if any) reused artwork, for the entire thing, which you know has to be tempting considering how the story goes. It was almost a middle finger to the rest of the anime industry. I mean look at your average Naruto episode and see how much art is reused spent in pointless flashbacks, sometime from the SAME episode.

Endless eight is pretty much forced to rehash the same events over and over again with little deviation due to the nature of the story, but they take great care with making sure that even though the events are near identical, much of the minute detail is different from episode to episode and the animation isn't exactly cheap looking. Its comical irony at its finest.

Now don't get me wrong endless eight was probably a pretty dumb move from a money making entertainment perspective as it is grueling to watch, made the second run feel empty of material, and most people can't appreciate that type of art, but it was awesome from an artistic standpoint.



These posts are just so bro right here. ^ I agree with everything in that post you guys. Just beautiful words in those posts. Haha. I mean seriously, people complain about it soooo much and I can see why. But it just has 'The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya' written all over it. And i definitely know what you mean about those 'reused' flashbacks in naruto/other anime. I swear a lot of the 'ongoing' anime fill up probably about 30% of an episode with these. I'll admit I did squirm during the Endless Eight. I literally had to force myself to watch ALL of them. Although many referenced only three or two were really important to the story. it was worth it, though. I'm sure these episodes were meant to make you do this and just think how that alien character felt having to relive that same day 400,00 times!!! lol.
15276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bay Area CA
Offline
Posted 3/6/13
I feel like most people are just posting what they think is the most unpopular opinion. Instead of their own unpopular opinions.
28470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Scotland
Offline
Posted 3/6/13

tommythecat wrote:

I feel like most people are just posting what they think is the most unpopular opinion. Instead of their own unpopular opinions.

Nothing wrong with a bit of discussion on what is typically a "list and leave" topic. Anyway, here are a few of mine:

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! integrated the dramatic aspects poorly.
Xam'd: Lost Memories is one of the worst anime series I've ever seen.
Minori Kushieda is my favourite character in Toradora!.
881 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Florida
Offline
Posted 3/6/13
All you people saying SAO sucked are just the edgiest people ever, I just can't take it.
15276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bay Area CA
Offline
Posted 3/6/13 , edited 3/6/13

TotalPotato wrote:


tommythecat wrote:

I feel like most people are just posting what they think is the most unpopular opinion. Instead of their own unpopular opinions.

Nothing wrong with a bit of discussion on what is typically a "list and leave" topic. Anyway, here are a few of mine:

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! integrated the dramatic aspects poorly.
Xam'd: Lost Memories is one of the worst anime series I've ever seen.
Minori Kushieda is my favourite character in Toradora!.


Nah i don't have a problem with the in depth discussion, some answers just seemed too obvious and general to be actual opinion. I agree with Chu-2 as well it felt shallow towards the end with that, love the series though.
Tarya 
43463 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / F / Glen Allen, Virgi...
Offline
Posted 3/6/13 , edited 3/6/13
I usually keep this to myself, but I detested Death Note....I thought it was one of the worst anime/manga that I ever watched and read.
I see people go on about how brilliant the plot was and I just don't get it - thought it was a huge waste of my time.
Why did I read the manga if the anime sucked? Usually a book is better than the movie...most the time it holds true with manga too...
most the time.

Another opinion people probably won't agree with...Trinity Blood is awesome and I wish they would re-make the anime! It is my favorite and I felt the ending just left a lot to be desired. Still reading the manga, when there is a scanlated release that is...so slow.

Posted 3/6/13 , edited 3/6/13

TotalPotato wrote:


tommythecat wrote:



Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! integrated the dramatic aspects poorly.


Was the light novel really that much better? I absolutely loved the anime lol.


Tarya wrote:

I usually keep this to myself, but I detested Death Note....I thought it was one of the worst anime/manga that I ever watched and read.
I see people go on about how brilliant the plot was and I just don't get it - thought it was a huge waste of my time.
Why did I read the manga if the anime sucked? Usually a book is better than the movie...most the time it holds true with manga too...
most the time.

Another opinion people probably won't agree with...Trinity Blood is awesome and I wish they would re-make the anime! It is my favorite and I felt the ending just left a lot to be desired. Still reading the manga, when there is a scanlated release that is...so slow.



^ I kinda agree. I mean, I don't detest it. The first I watched it I was like 'OH MY GAH!!!!!!!!! 10/10!!!' But like two years later I rewatched it and it just seemed like a 7/10 now haha still like it though.
20777 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 3/6/13

hickey1992 wrote:

I hate Neon Genesis...but I like the remake.

The best mecha anime ever made is Martian Successor Nadesico!

The big 3 all suck


this, this, and this. although I haven't watched the eva remakes, I didn't care for NGE and I do not understand why everyone thought it was such a great anime. the characters are annoying and the story is only decent up until the end when it all takes a turn for the "what the fuck is this shit...?"

Nadesico was BRILLIANT. a perfect satire on not just mecha, but anime in general. it was hilarious from start to finish. I just wish it got a proper sequel, not that bland movie which turned Nadesico into the very thing it was parodying.

regarding SAO, I think the most unpopular opinion is that it was just "meh". most people either think it was the best anime evur, or it was utter shit. personally, I think it was ok as an anime, but as I've said in many other threads, it's a great companion to the novels.
142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 3/6/13
I liked School Days and I think Dubs are awesome XD
163 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 3/6/13
I'm not very in to Code Geass. Also, I FUCKING detest Suzaku. Also School Days was awesome and I love the crazy bitch known as Yuno XD
13405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / ロンドン、カナダ
Offline
Posted 3/6/13

phiregirl wrote:


And subs are really better than dubs, for most anime.


How is this an unpopular opinion? Who the hell thinks those 2-bit English dubs are any good?
28864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Netherlands
Offline
Posted 3/7/13
Argueing for the sake of the argument is great! why don't you join in? Play the devils advocate or say what your heart is saying.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.