First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Unpopular anime opinions!
28961 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Online
Posted 3/13/13
straight title: robot anime is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time, and if you don't agree, you have no sense of humor.
9228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 3/13/13 , edited 3/13/13

peterdegrootst wrote:
2-bit? How about 5.1 surround sound dubs? They sure sound lot better!

Besides that, Dragonball Z is a lot of fun i.m.h.o. with all that screaming and Piccolo really sounds like a man in the dubbed version. Seeing and hearing the original version was very weird after that.



Sound quality doesn't make the voices of the people sound any less retarded.
For most dubs, not all.
Like the woman who plays english Haruhi, she sounds horrible. I almost puked when Haruhi started talking in the first ep (actual first ep).
---------------------------------------------------------------------


Hyouka was horrible, except for the festival arc.
So damn boring.
One Punch Mod
46008 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 3/13/13 , edited 3/13/13

Stonewolfe wrote:


Subs are a lot better than Dubs, ...


This is an unpopular opinion?

Well, I share it with you.

(Not that think there are no good dubs, just in general I think the original voice acting plus subtitles conveys the original intent better.)
11478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Washington State USA
Offline
Posted 3/13/13
duraduraduradura or how ever spelt it was boring as and didnt get one second of the first episode.... terrible anime
18735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / San Francisco Bay...
Offline
Posted 3/13/13
I really like Evangelion(Yes, the original series and even End of Evangelion)

Madoka Magica's ending was a bit disappointing

Future Diary wasn't that good

Code Geass' ending could have been better

3088 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 3/13/13
Evangelion's ending is fine. The fact that people were so upset that they sent Hideaki death threats is disgraceful.
1384 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 3/14/13
Baka to test is boring
The Wise Wizard
74690 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 3/14/13

phiregirl wrote:
Now for an opinion that will insult some ....anime is a Japanese product made for the Japanese audience To insists it be dubbed is an insult
Would an English speaking audience insist that The Umbrellas of Cherbourg or The Seventh Seal be dubbed before watching or giving it respect? Anime should be treated the same imo and spoiled English speakers need to learn how to read or don't watch.

In keeping with the topic of this thread:

Anime isn't high art.

Certainly, I would challenge anyone to find any anime TV series that would seriously stand in the same company as the two classics of cinema you cited. Finding an anime movie that could would be difficult enough.

Posted 3/14/13

TheAncientOne wrote:


phiregirl wrote:
Now for an opinion that will insult some ....anime is a Japanese product made for the Japanese audience To insists it be dubbed is an insult
Would an English speaking audience insist that The Umbrellas of Cherbourg or The Seventh Seal be dubbed before watching or giving it respect? Anime should be treated the same imo and spoiled English speakers need to learn how to read or don't watch.

In keeping with the topic of this thread:

Anime isn't high art.

Certainly, I would challenge anyone to find any anime TV series that would seriously stand in the same company as the two classics of cinema you cited. Finding an anime movie that could would be difficult enough.


I disagree. A lot of thought and art does go into making anime Yes, I will concede not all anime is art but not all foreign films are either.
3712 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 3/14/13

lorreen wrote:


Stonewolfe wrote:


Subs are a lot better than Dubs, ...


This is an unpopular opinion?

Well, I share it with you.

(Not that think there are no good dubs, just in general I think the original voice acting plus subtitles conveys the original intent better.)

It is an unpopular opinion in the same way the president announcing on live TV that he really likes America is an unpopular opinion. In other words, it's the opposite of an unpopular opinion. In other other words, it's a popular opinion. It's such a popular opinion that every single major critic and reviewer feels the need to differentiate themselves from the masses by saying they like watching dubs a lot of the time.

There are valid reasons for preferring dubs but the people who argue in favor of dubs suck at articulating them. Their argument usually boils down to "I want to pretend I'm dyslexic". Apologies to any actual dyslexics.



Wrathfulram wrote:

duraduraduradura or how ever spelt it was boring as and didnt get one second of the first episode.... terrible anime

I thought Durarara!! was excellent, however the first couple episodes are kind of dull, not to mention confusing. However, I get the feeling Naruto got a bit too confusing for you at times, so it probably wasn't DRRR's fault in this case.




ndalum75 wrote:

I really like Evangelion(Yes, the original series and even End of Evangelion)

I'm with you. I really liked End of Eva. My interpretation of it differs heavily from most people's, so that could be why, but...



ndalum75 wrote:
Madoka Magica's ending was a bit disappointing

First time I watched it I was a bit disappointed. Second time I thought it was okay. Third time I thought it was good. I think they call that Stockholm's Syndrome.



ndalum75 wrote:
Future Diary wasn't that good

I thought Future Diary was excellent, but I wasn't in the anime community at the time. Was it really popular when it was coming out?


ndalum75 wrote:
Code Geass' ending could have been better


You had 49 episodes full of opportunities for legitimate criticism...and you pick the one perfect part.




phiregirl wrote:
Now for an opinion that will insult some ....anime is a Japanese product made for the Japanese audience To insists it be dubbed is an insult
Would an English speaking audience insist that The Umbrellas of Cherbourg or The Seventh Seal be dubbed before watching or giving it respect? Anime should be treated the same imo and spoiled English speakers need to learn how to read or don't watch.

There are a couple reasons they aren't dubbed, and you aren't going to like any of them:

1. They're old. There's a principle of government, economics, and...everything, really, called the historical principle, which states that present and future events are constrained by past events. They aren't dubbed because they weren't dubbed, and they won't be dubbed because they aren't dubbed.

2. Different spheres. Sort of like what TheAncientOne said, they're in different spheres of existence. The movies you mentioned are 'high art', anime is not. That's not to say high art is better - in fact, I would consider it to usually be worse - high art just means an entity antithetical to the concept of a commercial product. Critics love high art. Content creators usually do not. But that's neither here nor there.

3. Animation. You can't lip-sync to live action. We've been trying for decades and it doesn't work. Animation can be lip-synced, and it's not even all that difficult. I'm not a fan of dubs but I love the concept, I love the fact that it's possible to take something I really like and change it so that now I can quote it at people.

But all that's not very important. I have a question: you...do know English stuff gets dubbed into other languages, right? The Simpsons has been dubbed into pretty much every language in existence. I saw a clip of the Japanese dub of Star Wars Episode V, and it...is...glorious. Is this also a desecration? Or is this okay?




Ooh, ooh, my turn, my turn now! Ghost in the Shell is painful to look at and devoid of any intellectual merit whatsoever. I could get more intellectual stimulation out of Bleach.
Posted 3/14/13 , edited 3/14/13
Dub isn't so bad for most animes.
11478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Washington State USA
Offline
Posted 3/14/13 , edited 3/14/13

Thrazonn wrote:


lorreen wrote:


Stonewolfe wrote:


Subs are a lot better than Dubs, ...


This is an unpopular opinion?

Well, I share it with you.

(Not that think there are no good dubs, just in general I think the original voice acting plus subtitles conveys the original intent better.)

It is an unpopular opinion in the same way the president announcing on live TV that he really likes America is an unpopular opinion. In other words, it's the opposite of an unpopular opinion. In other other words, it's a popular opinion. It's such a popular opinion that every single major critic and reviewer feels the need to differentiate themselves from the masses by saying they like watching dubs a lot of the time.

There are valid reasons for preferring dubs but the people who argue in favor of dubs suck at articulating them. Their argument usually boils down to "I want to pretend I'm dyslexic". Apologies to any actual dyslexics.



Wrathfulram wrote:

duraduraduradura or how ever spelt it was boring as and didnt get one second of the first episode.... terrible anime

I thought Durarara!! was excellent, however the first couple episodes are kind of dull, not to mention confusing. However, I get the feeling Naruto got a bit too confusing for you at times, so it probably wasn't DRRR's fault in this case.




ndalum75 wrote:

I really like Evangelion(Yes, the original series and even End of Evangelion)

I'm with you. I really liked End of Eva. My interpretation of it differs heavily from most people's, so that could be why, but...



ndalum75 wrote:
Madoka Magica's ending was a bit disappointing

First time I watched it I was a bit disappointed. Second time I thought it was okay. Third time I thought it was good. I think they call that Stockholm's Syndrome.



ndalum75 wrote:
Future Diary wasn't that good

I thought Future Diary was excellent, but I wasn't in the anime community at the time. Was it really popular when it was coming out?


ndalum75 wrote:
Code Geass' ending could have been better


You had 49 episodes full of opportunities for legitimate criticism...and you pick the one perfect part.




phiregirl wrote:
Now for an opinion that will insult some ....anime is a Japanese product made for the Japanese audience To insists it be dubbed is an insult
Would an English speaking audience insist that The Umbrellas of Cherbourg or The Seventh Seal be dubbed before watching or giving it respect? Anime should be treated the same imo and spoiled English speakers need to learn how to read or don't watch.

There are a couple reasons they aren't dubbed, and you aren't going to like any of them:

1. They're old. There's a principle of government, economics, and...everything, really, called the historical principle, which states that present and future events are constrained by past events. They aren't dubbed because they weren't dubbed, and they won't be dubbed because they aren't dubbed.

2. Different spheres. Sort of like what TheAncientOne said, they're in different spheres of existence. The movies you mentioned are 'high art', anime is not. That's not to say high art is better - in fact, I would consider it to usually be worse - high art just means an entity antithetical to the concept of a commercial product. Critics love high art. Content creators usually do not. But that's neither here nor there.

3. Animation. You can't lip-sync to live action. We've been trying for decades and it doesn't work. Animation can be lip-synced, and it's not even all that difficult. I'm not a fan of dubs but I love the concept, I love the fact that it's possible to take something I really like and change it so that now I can quote it at people.

But all that's not very important. I have a question: you...do know English stuff gets dubbed into other languages, right? The Simpsons has been dubbed into pretty much every language in existence. I saw a clip of the Japanese dub of Star Wars Episode V, and it...is...glorious. Is this also a desecration? Or is this okay?




Ooh, ooh, my turn, my turn now! Ghost in the Shell is painful to look at and devoid of any intellectual merit whatsoever. I could get more intellectual stimulation out of Bleach.


going to edit my post because I decided to read the rest of your post and take a look at your profile.... wow dude lol....... you know what I picture when I think of you? some fat weaaboo with a " my little pony " blanket to keep you warm in your moms basement. You need to get a life other then insulting random people on the internet.
22231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / F / Louisiana
Offline
Posted 3/14/13

phiregirl wrote:

There is no issue that is so divisive in the anime community as subs vs dubs. I use to watch only dubs Then one day I was in a hurry and picked up an anime (this was in the very old days when you could go to a store and actually buy anime) that was subbed only. I did not realize this until I started watching it, I found it not bad at all.

Now for an opinion that will insult some ....anime is a Japanese product made for the Japanese audience To insists it be dubbed is an insult
Would an English speaking audience insist that The Umbrellas of Cherbourg or The Seventh Seal be dubbed before watching or giving it respect? Anime should be treated the same imo and spoiled English speakers need to learn how to read or don't watch.

The day that anime is made with an English speaking audience in mind is the day anime is DOOMED!

just my opinion...


Well, first I think the people who posted that dubs are better than subs did so b/c they knew their view would be considered unpopular as most anime viewers like to think of themselves as anime purists, or as I like to call them, snobs. Well, there's more to anime snobs than just dubs vs subs but I'll leave it at that. Also, preferring dubs has nothing to do with respecting an anime. It's about viewing experience and entertainment value, which is why we watch anime in the first place. So let's not start cherry picking and lumping all anime with those two movies which I guess are classics. (I honestly never heard of them) I mean Friends is an American product made for an American audience. It's also dubbed by other countries. I don't think it's at all insulting. If they can rephrase a joke yet we all get the same laugh I'm fine with it. Or is the audacity of dubbing only reserved for things 'purists' deem trivial?

Also, I realized while watching subs they aren't even translated right. I know a few japanese words now so I know they aren't saying what they're translating. So if I wanted to be even snobbier I'd say learn japanese to experience it like a japanese person. Better yet, move to japan and really get engrossed. B/c unless you do you still won't get the same experience. So I'm perfectly okay with being catered to as an English speaking American. So that's my unpopular opinion. Say it loud I like dubs and I'm proud! And I'm proud to be an American! meep meep.
Posted 3/14/13

SuperFinny wrote:


phiregirl wrote:

There is no issue that is so divisive in the anime community as subs vs dubs. I use to watch only dubs Then one day I was in a hurry and picked up an anime (this was in the very old days when you could go to a store and actually buy anime) that was subbed only. I did not realize this until I started watching it, I found it not bad at all.

Now for an opinion that will insult some ....anime is a Japanese product made for the Japanese audience To insists it be dubbed is an insult
Would an English speaking audience insist that The Umbrellas of Cherbourg or The Seventh Seal be dubbed before watching or giving it respect? Anime should be treated the same imo and spoiled English speakers need to learn how to read or don't watch.

The day that anime is made with an English speaking audience in mind is the day anime is DOOMED!

just my opinion...


Well, first I think the people who posted that dubs are better than subs did so b/c they knew their view would be considered unpopular as most anime viewers like to think of themselves as anime purists, or as I like to call them, snobs. Well, there's more to anime snobs than just dubs vs subs but I'll leave it at that. Also, preferring dubs has nothing to do with respecting an anime. It's about viewing experience and entertainment value, which is why we watch anime in the first place. So let's not start cherry picking and lumping all anime with those two movies which I guess are classics. (I honestly never heard of them) I mean Friends is an American product made for an American audience. It's also dubbed by other countries. I don't think it's at all insulting. If they can rephrase a joke yet we all get the same laugh I'm fine with it. Or is the audacity of dubbing only reserved for things 'purists' deem trivial?

Also, I realized while watching subs they aren't even translated right. I know a few japanese words now so I know they aren't saying what they're translating. So if I wanted to be even snobbier I'd say learn japanese to experience it like a japanese person. Better yet, move to japan and really get engrossed. B/c unless you do you still won't get the same experience. So I'm perfectly okay with being catered to as an English speaking American. So that's my unpopular opinion. Say it loud I like dubs and I'm proud! And I'm proud to be an American! meep meep.


Hello! Can we say xenophobe? I'm just happy I have a choice to watch dubs and you are right we should learn Japanese.
3712 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 3/14/13

Wrathfulram wrote:
going to edit my post because I decided to read the rest of your post and take a look at your profile.... wow dude lol....... you know what I picture when I think of you? some fat weaaboo with a " my little pony " blanket to keep you warm in your moms basement. You need to get a life other then insulting random people on the internet.

I'm flattered you think I'm a My Little Pony fan, because I really like the MLP fandom, but unfortunately I've never actually seen the show.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.