First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Post Reply Favorite Slice of life anime?
15751 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 3/5/14
Squid girl
6607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/5/14
Azumanga Daioh and Seitokai Yakuindomo.

Azumanga because in my opinion, it has some of the most well-written characters ever. I also adored the animation and the soundtrack.

Seitokai Yakuindomo because the humor is excellent, the animation is gorgeous, and it has well-written characters.

28999 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 3/5/14
Slice of Life is an odd beast since it intertwines itself into so many other genres like sports, school life, after school clubs, comedies, romantic comedies, etc. So when you think about it it really envelopes a pretty large share of the good anime series out there.

I'm going to go with Chuunibyou demo koi ga shitai. It's my favorite anime in general anyways, so it probably isn't a stretch to say it's my favorite slice of life as well :P

I also really enjoy the great Azumanga Daioh, Bakuman, Chihyafuru, Minami-ke, Nodame Cantabile. Plus many many more, but I'll leave it at that
2315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Earth. Las Vegas,...
Offline
Posted 3/5/14
Free!. <3
xxJing 
29030 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 3/5/14
Minami-ke would be my all time favorite. I also really like Working!!. Both of those shows are pretty clever and funny.

There are some types of Slice of Life shows that I absolutely hate on principle though. I won't name them specifically, but there are quite a few of them where the whole purpose of the show is just to show cute girls or lolis just doing stuff. It's not even clever stuff it is just stuff. The show doesn't even have to try to be good by any other standards, it's just like "look we have lolis" and people just automatically call it the best show ever. I have nothing against lolis, cute girls, or fanservice, but when your whole show is just that, it hardly deserves to be called good.
2028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
101 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 3/5/14
Clannad , Hands down!
9703 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Online
Posted 3/5/14

xxJing wrote:

Minami-ke would be my all time favorite. I also really like Working!!. Both of those shows are pretty clever and funny.

There are some types of Slice of Life shows that I absolutely hate on principle though. I won't name them specifically, but there are quite a few of them where the whole purpose of the show is just to show cute girls or lolis just doing stuff. It's not even clever stuff it is just stuff. The show doesn't even have to try to be good by any other standards, it's just like "look we have lolis" and people just automatically call it the best show ever. I have nothing against lolis, cute girls, or fanservice, but when your whole show is just that, it hardly deserves to be called good.


I do believe that those shows can't be judged by the standards of other shows but I do not think that they are inherently bad. I'm currently watching Non Non Biyori right now and all it really is, is a few cute girls living life. Its not exceptionally hilarious or clever and the characters aren't brilliant but it is still enjoyable despite (or maybe even because of) its normalcy.

The fundamental purpose of most entertainment mediums are producing enjoyment and the fundamental purpose of art (imo) is producing some emotion. "Doing nothing" slice of life shows can do both of these things, even if that emotion is just a warm fuzzy feeling. I understand your opinion but I respectfully disagree...
54820 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 3/5/14 , edited 3/5/14
K-On!



In all seriousness probably either Great Teach Onizuka or Mushishi, but I'm taking my time with both.

(Nothing against K-On! though, or other harmlessly fun CGDCT anime; also Mio is best girl.)
9040 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 3/5/14
Mushi-Shi, Natsume's Book of Friends, Lucky Star, GJ Club, Working!!, The Eccentric Family, Tsuritama, and You and Me

These are my personal favorites and would recommenced them to all to watch them.

26270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Kaguya's Dimension
Offline
Posted 3/5/14 , edited 3/5/14
Non Non Biyori
Sogno- 
39063 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/5/14
Mushi-shi
Hozuki no Reitsusu
Silver Spoon
Free!
9205 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / GA
Offline
Posted 3/6/14
A few sub-genre favorites off the top of my head:

Romance: Toradora

Feels: Anohana

Serene (not really a sub-genre, but I love a good slow paced and quiet slice-of-life): Non Non Biyori - I was going to put You and Me at first, but I just watched NNB because of this thread and it was just beautiful.

Comedy: YuruYuri

25292 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 3/6/14

buldieb wrote:

A few sub-genre favorites off the top of my head:

Romance: Toradora

Feels: Anohana

Serene (not really a sub-genre, but I love a good slow paced and quiet slice-of-life): Non Non Biyori - I was going to put You and Me at first, but I just watched NNB because of this thread and it was just beautiful.

Comedy: YuruYuri



Hey man

I always see Anohana on the shelf when i'm out picking up a few things and it has caught my eye... You reckon it worths giving a go ay?
23525 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Online
Posted 3/6/14

OccultLimetree wrote:

Hey man

I always see Anohana on the shelf when i'm out picking up a few things and it has caught my eye... You reckon it worths giving a go ay?
Absolutely.

12012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / St, Louis
Online
Posted 3/6/14
Golden time is sooooo Good. Great original story and great characters and its really funny!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.