JManga shutting down
Zhiroc 
53161 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M
Offline
Posted 3/14/13
I just got a notice in email that JManga is shutting down. Luckily, I was dubious of their business model and didn't "buy" anything there that I would now be in danger of losing. It seems like you won't have access to anything you had bought, from this FAQ:

http://www.jmanga.com/urgent-message
40600 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Northampton, Mass...
Online
Posted 3/14/13
The previous topic about this seems to have disappeared, maybe because of Crunchyroll's affiliation with JManga.
39745 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 3/14/13
This is my surprised face -_- Way to rip off their customers. Very classy. The least they could do is make whatever people have already purchased available for download by them. Other digital manga publishers have already done this as standard course for much less money. I'm sure this thread with mysteriously disappear too though.
Zhiroc 
53161 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M
Offline
Posted 3/14/13

lifeincircuit wrote:

This is my surprised face -_- Way to rip off their customers. Very classy. The least they could do is make whatever people have already purchased available for download by them. Other digital manga publishers have already done this as standard course for much less money. I'm sure this thread with mysteriously disappear too though.


This is the whole "DRM Problem" that no one likes--the industry or the consumer. If I don't need online activation of any sort, or a physical key (like old game disks), then what stops someone from just sharing the files? I'm not saying right or wrong here, just that the publishers won't agree to that.

And this is why I didn't like the JManga terms. I'm willing to "rent online" e.g. CR's anime subscription. It's cheap enough that I don't feel like I am "buying" it, and therefore if CR were to go belly-up, I would be sorry, but I wouldn't feel ripped-off. JManga charged pretty close to retail from what I saw, and made it feel like you were owning the content forever, which was obviously not true from the start.

I'd probably feel as ripped-off if Steam were to disappear, though they have said in the past they would do something to allow people to continue to use their games, but that's just a promise so who knows?
39745 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 3/14/13

Zhiroc wrote:


lifeincircuit wrote:

This is my surprised face -_- Way to rip off their customers. Very classy. The least they could do is make whatever people have already purchased available for download by them. Other digital manga publishers have already done this as standard course for much less money. I'm sure this thread with mysteriously disappear too though.


This is the whole "DRM Problem" that no one likes--the industry or the consumer. If I don't need online activation of any sort, or a physical key (like old game disks), then what stops someone from just sharing the files? I'm not saying right or wrong here, just that the publishers won't agree to that.

And this is why I didn't like the JManga terms. I'm willing to "rent online" e.g. CR's anime subscription. It's cheap enough that I don't feel like I am "buying" it, and therefore if CR were to go belly-up, I would be sorry, but I wouldn't feel ripped-off. JManga charged pretty close to retail from what I saw, and made it feel like you were owning the content forever, which was obviously not true from the start.

I'd probably feel as ripped-off if Steam were to disappear, though they have said in the past they would do something to allow people to continue to use their games, but that's just a promise so who knows?


Exactly. Their whole business plan was screwed up from the start, and I have been saying so from the start. I also wouldn't have minded if it were promoted as a rental service and the cost was in line with that. I would have given them quite a bit of money, in fact. Netcomics has been doing this, though I don't think with a huge amount of success.

I am happy to see them fail, to be honest, but I'm angry for anyone who's been duped in the process.
kevadu 
38515 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34
Offline
Posted 3/14/13
What the heck, they deleted the other thread? Real classy, CR. Of course people are going to be pissed off if you guys do something like this...
Sailor Candy Moderator
163288 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 3/14/13

kevadu wrote:

What the heck, they deleted the other thread? Real classy, CR. Of course people are going to be pissed off if you guys do something like this...


Oh no, it's nothing like that I closed it because the op was asking for recommendations to read manga somewhere else legally. So, I directed the user to the anime recommendation thread since personal threads are not allowed.

Actually, this is the first I'm hearing of the site was surprised it was affiliated with CR.
40062 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
62 / M
Offline
Posted 3/14/13
The post was about manga, so you closed it and referred the op to anime recommendations?
monkat 
26369 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 3/14/13

lifeincircuit wrote:

This is my surprised face -_- Way to rip off their customers. Very classy.


This is the future of pay-per-item digital services. Suddenly, you're locked into supporting that company at risk of all of your content being tossed away. I mean, you can always turn to piracy after the fact, but especially on closed systems like game consoles, that could prove difficult.
One Punch Mod
44582 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 3/15/13 , edited 3/17/13
I don't feel screwed. There are a few things I bought that I haven't read yet, so I'm going to be catching up on those before May 30, and there's only one thing I'm kind of sad I'll be losing access to, even though I'm not sure I would have actually ever re-read it.

It was very clear from JManga's model that if they closed down, you'd lose access to your manga, but of course one buys in the hope, and perhaps expectation that a company will be around a very long time (because JManga was so new and not well-established I didn't have that expectation). I was personally willing to take that chance.

If I were a person who re-reads things and cared about having things forever, I wouldn't have joined JManga. I do feel bad for those who did buy a lot there and who like maintaining long-term collections for re-reading or whatever.

9583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / I'm Lost
Offline
Posted 3/15/13
I think this is frustrating because it's QUITE a blow to the digital distribution model in general. People were just beginning to feel comfortable with, say, buying games on Steam and manga via this service, figuring they'd have it for some time at least. The issue isn't that it's closing--it's that the closure is abrupt and with very little warning. It will only harm future endeavors, in my opinion, to offer digital manga, which is a real shame. I think that's a good step for this industry to take. It is also discouraging to see a site with offered things out of common demographics I was happy they offered a lot of josei titles and some female-targeted [or accessible to both genders] yuri. The digital manga guild or whatever it was named was also a really interesting new thing.
Posted 3/16/13 , edited 3/16/13
its robbery and you cant do F ALL about it no wonder people switch to piracy
stupid region restrictions
and digital downloads that you cant download
just other ways to rip you off or get you locked up most the time
companys make loot more cash if they just made everything world wide don't care in jargon or what ever English or Japanese it i like it i buy it if i can get hold of it
ill do piracy if i cant get hold of it so the options there
47597 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 3/16/13
That's why your own physical media is the only thing to purchase. Can't take books away, or discs yet...
740 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / US
Offline
Posted 3/16/13 , edited 3/16/13
I'm surprised, but not. I thought for what they offered they were charging a lot, most of them were about half the price of a physical copy (at least in the US), which to me, is a lot considering you don't get any physical or permanent copy of what you are buying. For that price I could get a manga used, but own the physical copy (yea, it wouldn't be the same series, but it would be MINE to own). I know Viz also charges half price for their digital copies, but never bought one so don't know how they are stored etc.

I do hope though, for those who may lose out (and are willing to pay AGAIN for some series, and for those of us who don't like the whole digital thing) that maybe other companies will pick up on some of the more popular stuff from Jmanga and publish them in English.


All that said, I do like the idea of having a "rental price" like what CR and Hulu offer etc. I would have signed up for that, be able to read as much manga as you want for x-amount per month, that you could postpone or cancel when you feel you need/want to.
Sailor Candy Moderator
163288 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 10/1/13
Closed due to inactivity. It's been over half a year and no new posts.
You must be logged in to post.