First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Do you consider "Avatar - The Last Airbender" anime?
13475 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Fort Bragg, NC
Offline
Posted 3/19/13

irtiza9169 wrote:

Lol animation is animation there's no other way around it....what a ridiculous question

Also, for all those ignorant people out there that label anime as something that's only japanese are dead wrong lol the word itself "anime" implies animation and animation can be made and developed anywhere, just because it was made in America doesn't mean it's not anime (animation)




Ignorant? Why don't you contact dictionary.com to change their definition of anime then?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/anime?s=t
50244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Tiphares
Online
Posted 3/19/13 , edited 3/19/13

Gyava wrote:


irtiza9169 wrote:

Lol animation is animation there's no other way around it....what a ridiculous question

Also, for all those ignorant people out there that label anime as something that's only japanese are dead wrong lol the word itself "anime" implies animation and animation can be made and developed anywhere, just because it was made in America doesn't mean it's not anime (animation)




Ignorant? Why don't you contact dictionary.com to change their definition of anime then?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/anime?s=t



Shrapnel893 wrote:

Anime is a form of cartoon, which is a form of animation. So technically cartoons do have actual stories and character development. Now, there are cartoons in places outside Japan that have both of those things. An example is Avatar: The Last Airbender and its sequel, The Legend of Korra. In France, there is Oban Star Racers and Code Lyoko. As for the difference, the real difference is that anime is a style of animation (cartoon) originating from Japan and it's the abbreviated form of the Japanese word for animation, animēshiyon. To summarize they are the same thing, which is simply animation, and whether it be 2-dimensional or 3-dimensional it doesn't matter. Animation in this sense is defined as the "Process of giving the illusion of movement to drawings, models, or inanimate objects".


Really, you are right, in a sense, but then again you are wrong. Get what I'm saying?

I'll say it again:

The.Term.Anime.Is.Only.Used.When.Referring.To.Japanese.Cartoons.
9529 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Ontario, Canada
Offline
Posted 3/19/13

SweetZ913 wrote:


hickey1992 wrote:

Since anime means Japanese animation, I don't believe it is anime.


In what dictionary?


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime
21851 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Michigan, Metro D...
Offline
Posted 3/19/13
There isn't really an objective answer. Everyone has their own opinion of what anime is.
Consider something like Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.
It is very similar to what would be an American cartoon.
However, i've never heard anyone have an issue with it being called anime. (Yet.)
So does the art style really give it the right to be anime?

I'm one of the people who give it it's own classification of American Anime.
It isn't quite as low as a cartoon to me, but it doesn't really fit my definition of Anime either.
50244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Tiphares
Online
Posted 3/19/13

darkwulfshade wrote:

There isn't really an objective answer. Everyone has their own opinion of what anime is.
Consider something like Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.
It is very similar to what would be an American cartoon.
However, i've never heard anyone have an issue with it being called anime. (Yet.)
So does the art style really give it the right to be anime?

I'm one of the people who give it it's own classification of American Anime.
It isn't quite as low as a cartoon to me, but it doesn't really fit my definition of Anime either.


But, it is a cartoon (anime are also cartoons), so how does that work?
2427 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / The land down under
Offline
Posted 3/19/13
A fusion of both, in my opinion
Posted 3/19/13

SweetZ913 wrote:


hickey1992 wrote:

Since anime means Japanese animation, I don't believe it is anime.


In what dictionary?


Well now I guess spongebob is an anime as well
21851 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Michigan, Metro D...
Offline
Posted 3/19/13

Shrapnel893 wrote:


darkwulfshade wrote:

There isn't really an objective answer. Everyone has their own opinion of what anime is.
Consider something like Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.
It is very similar to what would be an American cartoon.
However, i've never heard anyone have an issue with it being called anime. (Yet.)
So does the art style really give it the right to be anime?

I'm one of the people who give it it's own classification of American Anime.
It isn't quite as low as a cartoon to me, but it doesn't really fit my definition of Anime either.


But, it is a cartoon (anime are also cartoons), so how does that work?


It is dependent on the value that someone puts in the word.
To me, calling a well done piece of japanese anime a cartoon is like an insult.
It's just weird. I never said it makes sense.
63123 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 3/19/13
I really don't consider it anime in the normal sense. I've always consider it a Saturday morning cartoon. But the style is animeish.

I have the same opinion on other series. Pretty much everything made in america to me is not really anime, just anime styled.
50244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Tiphares
Online
Posted 3/19/13

darkwulfshade wrote:


Shrapnel893 wrote:


darkwulfshade wrote:

There isn't really an objective answer. Everyone has their own opinion of what anime is.
Consider something like Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.
It is very similar to what would be an American cartoon.
However, i've never heard anyone have an issue with it being called anime. (Yet.)
So does the art style really give it the right to be anime?

I'm one of the people who give it it's own classification of American Anime.
It isn't quite as low as a cartoon to me, but it doesn't really fit my definition of Anime either.


But, it is a cartoon (anime are also cartoons), so how does that work?


It is dependent on the value that someone puts in the word.
To me, calling a well done piece of japanese anime a cartoon is like an insult.
It's just weird. I never said it makes sense.


Fair enough.
bhl88 
61595 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 3/19/13
It is not anime, yet it puts some anime to shame.... It would be the closest to being anime.

The only show which I'll recognize as "anime".
3525 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / "Spaaaaace!"
Offline
Posted 3/19/13 , edited 3/19/13
It's American Animation like Batman: The Animated Series, Justice League, G.I. Joe, etc..

It certainly is Anime-inspired but many Anime are also inspired by American Animated Cartoons. :P

23655 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Behind You
Offline
Posted 3/19/13
no anime is a Japanese animation so Avatar is just a really great cartoon
13789 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Louisiana
Offline
Posted 3/20/13
When I was younger I thought it was an anime.
24225 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 3/21/13

chrome_mist wrote:


It's a cartoon.
And anime is cartoon.
Therefore it is anime.






I drive a car. A Lamborghini is a car, therefore I drive a Lamborghini. An iPod is an mp3 player, but not all mp3 players are iPods.

"Anime" is considered a style of animation, not animation as a whole. To generalize anything to its simplest form isn't the best way to get your point across.

Last Airbender is inspired by Japanese Animation, but it is not a Japanese developed product. It's true that the word "anime" is short for animation, but for animation created in Japan. I have an Associate's Degree in 3D Animation and Design, does that mean my CG animated shorts are anime? No it most certainly does not.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.