First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Do you consider "Avatar - The Last Airbender" anime?
13185 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / Beech Island, SC
Offline
Posted 3/22/13

Davidvauhn wrote:


SweetZ913 wrote:

Ok, for those who say that it's not anime cause it's "made in 'Merica", then is the only difference from a cartoon and anime is the origin?
For example, "The Boondocks" is American produced but the animation is made by Madhouse. Aaron McGruder stated that he loves anime and one of his favorites was Cowboy Bebop, which is why Huey has an afro and can kick ass, mimicking Spike. and even one of the fight scenes is damn near identical to a fight in CB.


Segments of the second season were animated by madhouse, but not the entire thing.


Fun fact, the animation for the next season of Boondocks (which airs this summer. Awesome, by the way) will be by Studio Mir, the same animation studio for Avatar and Korra
20898 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / United States
Offline
Posted 3/22/13

jw86 wrote:


Davidvauhn wrote:


SweetZ913 wrote:

Ok, for those who say that it's not anime cause it's "made in 'Merica", then is the only difference from a cartoon and anime is the origin?
For example, "The Boondocks" is American produced but the animation is made by Madhouse. Aaron McGruder stated that he loves anime and one of his favorites was Cowboy Bebop, which is why Huey has an afro and can kick ass, mimicking Spike. and even one of the fight scenes is damn near identical to a fight in CB.


Segments of the second season were animated by madhouse, but not the entire thing.


Fun fact, the animation for the next season of Boondocks (which airs this summer. Awesome, by the way) will be by Studio Mir, the same animation studio for Avatar and Korra


Thats interesting, too bad I never liked the boondocks :|
13185 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / Beech Island, SC
Offline
Posted 3/22/13

Davidvauhn wrote:


jw86 wrote:


Davidvauhn wrote:


SweetZ913 wrote:

Ok, for those who say that it's not anime cause it's "made in 'Merica", then is the only difference from a cartoon and anime is the origin?
For example, "The Boondocks" is American produced but the animation is made by Madhouse. Aaron McGruder stated that he loves anime and one of his favorites was Cowboy Bebop, which is why Huey has an afro and can kick ass, mimicking Spike. and even one of the fight scenes is damn near identical to a fight in CB.


Segments of the second season were animated by madhouse, but not the entire thing.


Fun fact, the animation for the next season of Boondocks (which airs this summer. Awesome, by the way) will be by Studio Mir, the same animation studio for Avatar and Korra


Thats interesting, too bad I never liked the boondocks :|


W-w-wha-what? HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?!?!
4576 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / @England
Offline
Posted 3/22/13
I would say The Last Airbender is an American cartoon inspired by Japanese animation.
20898 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / United States
Offline
Posted 3/22/13

jw86 wrote:


Davidvauhn wrote:


jw86 wrote:


Davidvauhn wrote:


SweetZ913 wrote:

Ok, for those who say that it's not anime cause it's "made in 'Merica", then is the only difference from a cartoon and anime is the origin?
For example, "The Boondocks" is American produced but the animation is made by Madhouse. Aaron McGruder stated that he loves anime and one of his favorites was Cowboy Bebop, which is why Huey has an afro and can kick ass, mimicking Spike. and even one of the fight scenes is damn near identical to a fight in CB.


Segments of the second season were animated by madhouse, but not the entire thing.


Fun fact, the animation for the next season of Boondocks (which airs this summer. Awesome, by the way) will be by Studio Mir, the same animation studio for Avatar and Korra


Thats interesting, too bad I never liked the boondocks :|


W-w-wha-what? HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?!?!


All I remember from that show is a bunch of guys yelling N*gger at each other.
13276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / West Point (USMA)
Offline
Posted 3/22/13

Davidvauhn wrote:

All I remember from that show is a bunch of guys yelling N*gger at each other.


Same here...
22435 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Undella Town, Uno...
Offline
Posted 3/22/13
Anime= Japanese animation, so no Avatar isn't anime
22231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / F / Louisiana
Offline
Posted 3/22/13
Of all the answers on here only a handful aren't stupid and snobbish. I mean the idea that something isn't considered anime because of the country of origin is ridiculous. Anime is anime because of it's style and setting which happens to have japanese origin. If any other country duplicates that style then it can be put in the anime genre. It's not based on what you feel it is. It's based on facts. I've scene Japanese films labeled on Netflix as westerns. Why? Because that was the style of the movie. It doesn't matter that the cast is Japanese. I really don't get this attitude of some anime fans.
55108 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 3/23/13

Arvindo wrote:

I drive a car. A Lamborghini is a car, therefore I drive a Lamborghini. An iPod is an mp3 player, but not all mp3 players are iPods.

To generalize anything to its simplest form isn't the best way to get your point across.

Last Airbender is inspired by Japanese Animation, but it is not a Japanese developed product. It's true that the word "anime" is short for animation, but for animation created in Japan. I have an Associate's Degree in 3D Animation and Design, does that mean my CG animated shorts are anime? No it most certainly does not.




"Anime" is considered a style of animation, not animation as a whole.



lmao says who? You anim00 nerdz seem to be the only ones claiming this.






Anime means animation in Japanese.
What is cartoon? It's animation.

The denial of these anim00 nerdzzzz....


397 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / F
Offline
Posted 3/23/13 , edited 3/23/13
It's made in Japan? No. So...........
24221 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 3/23/13

chrome_mist wrote:


Arvindo wrote:

I drive a car. A Lamborghini is a car, therefore I drive a Lamborghini. An iPod is an mp3 player, but not all mp3 players are iPods.

To generalize anything to its simplest form isn't the best way to get your point across.

Last Airbender is inspired by Japanese Animation, but it is not a Japanese developed product. It's true that the word "anime" is short for animation, but for animation created in Japan. I have an Associate's Degree in 3D Animation and Design, does that mean my CG animated shorts are anime? No it most certainly does not.




"Anime" is considered a style of animation, not animation as a whole.



lmao says who? You anim00 nerdz seem to be the only ones claiming this.






Anime means animation in Japanese.
What is cartoon? It's animation.

The denial of these anim00 nerdzzzz....




Dictionary:

Anime = A type of Japanese animated film with themes and styles similar to manga comics.

Merriam-Webster:

Anime = A style of animation originating in Japan that is characterized by stark colorful graphics depicting vibrant characters in action-filled plots often with fantastic or futuristic themes.

Avatar = American cartoon with outsourced production to South Korea using similar themes (inspiration) from Japanese animated works (which is the term anime).

It's very true that if you grew up, live, or are from Japan, then it's a matter of semantics because to the Japanese, anime is just an animated show, regardless of presentation; but to the rest of the world, Anime is not anything that is simply animated. Why do you think Osamu Tezuka is compared to Walt Disney? Because they both defined animation and presentation styles that became native to their homeland.

You can call me and the others on Crunchyroll a nerd all you want (because we kinda are in our own acceptable way ), but it doesn't change the fact that you are denying an entire culture's influence on the world.

55108 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 3/23/13

Arvindo wrote:

Dictionary:

Anime = A type of Japanese animated film with themes and styles similar to manga comics.

Merriam-Webster:

Anime = A style of animation originating in Japan that is characterized by stark colorful graphics depicting vibrant characters in action-filled plots often with fantastic or futuristic themes.

Avatar = American cartoon with outsourced production to South Korea using similar themes (inspiration) from Japanese animated works (which is the term anime).

It's very true that if you grew up, live, or are from Japan, then it's a matter of semantics because to the Japanese, anime is just an animated show, regardless of presentation; but to the rest of the world, Anime is not anything that is simply animated. Why do you think Osamu Tezuka is compared to Walt Disney? Because they both defined animation and presentation styles that became native to their homeland.

You can call me and the others on Crunchyroll a nerd all you want (because we kinda are in our own acceptable way ), but it doesn't change the fact that you are denying an entire culture's influence on the world.




In the end, anime still means animation and cartoon is animation.
That fact won't change so....

chile avatar is one of the best anime i've seen.





3525 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / "Spaaaaace!"
Offline
Posted 3/23/13 , edited 3/23/13
So, a better question would be.. if much of Avatar's production (namely the animation) had been outsourced to Korea. Is it still considered an "American Animation"? I mean the animation Technically did not occur in America. :P

So lets all agree that it's Korean Animated.

Oh and before someone gets to it before I do. Neeeeerrrrrrds!
24221 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 3/23/13

chrome_mist wrote:


Arvindo wrote:

Dictionary:

Anime = A type of Japanese animated film with themes and styles similar to manga comics.

Merriam-Webster:

Anime = A style of animation originating in Japan that is characterized by stark colorful graphics depicting vibrant characters in action-filled plots often with fantastic or futuristic themes.

Avatar = American cartoon with outsourced production to South Korea using similar themes (inspiration) from Japanese animated works (which is the term anime).

It's very true that if you grew up, live, or are from Japan, then it's a matter of semantics because to the Japanese, anime is just an animated show, regardless of presentation; but to the rest of the world, Anime is not anything that is simply animated. Why do you think Osamu Tezuka is compared to Walt Disney? Because they both defined animation and presentation styles that became native to their homeland.

You can call me and the others on Crunchyroll a nerd all you want (because we kinda are in our own acceptable way ), but it doesn't change the fact that you are denying an entire culture's influence on the world.




In the end, anime still means animation and cartoon is animation.
That fact won't change so....

chile avatar is one of the best anime i've seen.







Interview with the creators:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2007/09/06/interview-avatars-bryan-konietzko-and-michael-dante-dimartino

IGN: With the great animation, various storylines and characters in the series, there's a lot to digest, making for some great story telling. What were your influences when coming up with this series?

BRYAN: Mike and I were really interested in other epic "Legends & Lore" properties, like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, but we knew that we wanted to take a different approach to that type of genre. Our love for Japanese Anime, Hong Kong action & Kung Fu cinema, yoga, and Eastern philosophies led us to the initial inspiration for Avatar.

MIKE: Bryan and I love the films of Hayao Miyazaki. The stories and emotional depth of Spirited Away, and Princess Mononoke were big inspirations for us when we began creating Avatar. Also, the character design and animation of Fooly Cooly from studio Gainex was influential as well.

__________________________________

Feel free to keep calling it an anime, but just know that even the creators' themselves consider the show eastern influenced, and not simply "anime."
473 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / The Netherlands,...
Offline
Posted 3/23/13

In the end, anime still means animation and cartoon is animation.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.