First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
Post Reply Should there be or is there an age gap-limit for relationships?
13122 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / West Point (USMA)
Offline
Posted 3/21/13
When asking this in high school, this question sparked a lot of debate.

Lots of people were saying things like

"Age doesn't matter. Love is love." Others were saying things like "If it's more than 10 years or so, it's sort of weird."

but I know that lots of people have their own opinions on this topic, so I was wondering what those were.

I, personally, think it's fine, but I will admit that it would be a very unnatural sight for me if I saw an eighty year old man dating a 10 year old girl or w/e. Maybe that's too extreme of a case, but there are some supporters of that relationship as well.

Do you think there should be a limit? or do you think that love is really just love?
Posted 3/21/13
I say let people do what they want. I don't really care what other people do with their lives as long as they stay out of mine.
22848 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F
Offline
Posted 3/21/13
My parents are 12 years apart. Dad being older than mom.
My partner is almost 5 years younger than me.
People should mind their own business. Happiness comes in many shapes, forms & ages.
16352 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 3/21/13
I don't think it's a big deal, maybe a little weird, but people should be allowed to do what they want. Of course as long as both people are consenting adults in the relationship.
745 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Florida
Offline
Posted 3/21/13
Well, no shit you don't see an 80 year old dating a 10 year old because, you know, child abuse, statutory rape, all that jazz.

If it's with two adults, who the hell gives a damn?
2673 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Sexual Chocolate
Offline
Posted 3/21/13
As long as both people involved are at an age in which their mental state is capable of handling a real relationship (16 would at the earliest in my opinion) then it doesn't matter what the age gap. That said the power dynamic of a relationship between a 16 year old high school student and a 30 year old adult is much more likely to lead to abuse/manipulation than a relationship between two adults so I think that is something that needs to be considered as well. Problem is the vast majority of teens (by teens I mean 13-17) are no where near capable of handling an adult relationship and I do find the idea of a 25 year old dating a 17 year old in this day and age odd.

Then again many people on this forum didn't see the issue with a 25 year old man dating a 12 year old girl so I expect a lot of "love doesn't care about ages man" posts.
27445 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Toledo
Offline
Posted 3/21/13
If it is legal it's cool with me.
13122 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / West Point (USMA)
Offline
Posted 3/21/13

Pomff wrote:

As long as both people involved are at an age in which their mental state is capable of handling a real relationship (16 would at the earliest in my opinion) then it doesn't matter what the age gap. That said the power dynamic of a relationship between a 16 year old high school student and a 30 year old adult is much more likely to lead to abuse/manipulation than a relationship between two adults so I think that is something that needs to be considered as well. Problem is the vast majority of teens (by teens I mean 13-17) are no where near capable of handling an adult relationship and I do find the idea of a 25 year old dating a 17 year old in this day and age odd.

Then again many people on this forum didn't see the issue with a 25 year old man dating a 12 year old girl so I expect a lot of "love doesn't care about ages man" posts.


Same here! I think as people grow older, age becomes a lot less of a problem, if not just no problem at all. I've just been hearing too many people saying things like "Woah.. His wife is 20 years younger than him? That's so gross and creepy. How messed up are their lives, really?"
Posted 3/21/13
Love is like winter, summer, spring, autumn. Seasons, like it or not, they will happen.
Posted 3/21/13
18 and 80 is fine, as long as there adults there is no....... "trouble"
7075 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / California
Offline
Posted 3/21/13
Just remember: Six-teen'll get you twenty.
33160 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
101 / M / Tennessee
Offline
Posted 3/21/13
There's the famous "half plus seven" rule. For example, if someone is 30, he/she shouldn't date anyone older than 22 (30/2 + 7).

But who's to say that rule is right?

Two consenting adults can have a successful relationship regardless of age. I've seen just as many people near the same age that have failed in relationships as I have people with vastly different ages.

I often think of convention people when I think of couples with large age gaps. The interests and love of cons, costuming, fandoms...and partying, tend to bring similar people together. Age becomes much less of a factor at that point. I for one know several female friends that are my age that I'd NEVER consider being in a relationship with because honestly they're boring people that want to stay at home every night and only want to go out to have a quick dinner at Applebee's They're good people, but their idea of fun would drive me insane.
20428 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / NJ
Offline
Posted 3/21/13
I mean once your 18 I don't have a problem with any age gap, but I know if I have a daughter one day and she's 18 and brings home a 40 year old guy, I'm gonna be severely pissed at him
27445 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Toledo
Offline
Posted 3/21/13

hyjinx17 wrote:

I mean once your 18 I don't have a problem with any age gap, but I know if I have a daughter one day and she's 18 and brings home a 40 year old guy, I'm gonna be severely pissed at him


Should be more pissed at your daughter for choosing him and bringing him home. Can't blame an older guy for being happy that someone younger still finds them attractive and such.
20428 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / NJ
Offline
Posted 3/21/13

justanotherguy_2005 wrote:


hyjinx17 wrote:

I mean once your 18 I don't have a problem with any age gap, but I know if I have a daughter one day and she's 18 and brings home a 40 year old guy, I'm gonna be severely pissed at him


Should be more pissed at your daughter for choosing him and bringing him home. Can't blame an older guy for being happy that someone younger still finds them attractive and such.


I can't in good conscience break my daughters neck, so he'll have to do
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.