First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Why is labeling such a bad thing?
47598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
99 / F / Your boundaries
Offline
Posted 3/25/13

Bedlam wrote:

in a perfect world, yes, that would work. speaking from experience, i know that's just not how it's worked out for me. labels will always be there. and assumptions will always be made. you're right, labels etc. are made because it's suppose to create order (and make our lives easier) but i don't believe it's something we can turn off (even for people). it's always going to be there. but i've decided not to let it define me or the people around me. if it was possible to skip that step, i would. but i know that's just wishful thinking. i just have to be aware of what labels i'm putting on people and updating them (depending on my experiences with them). i just gotta remain open and flexible. i know it sounds roundabout but it's what i've come to believe.


I see.. I understand your point and I know it's pointless to fight the system, but I prefer practicality and logic. It's too troublesome to keep changing labels so I'd prefer to do away with them.
Posted 3/25/13

demongurrl13 wrote:


I see.. I understand your point and I know it's pointless to fight the system, but I prefer practicality and logic. It's too troublesome to keep changing labels so I'd prefer to do away with them.


I don't want you to think that i'm attacking you but are you sure what you want is logical or practical?
47598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
99 / F / Your boundaries
Offline
Posted 3/25/13

Sociopa wrote:

I don't want you to think that i'm attacking you but are you sure what you want is logical or practical?


Don't worry, I don't think so highly of myself to be deserving of such attention. Anyway, I haven't found reason to believe otherwise. But feel free to explain why I should see it any other way.
Posted 3/25/13

demongurrl13 wrote:

Don't worry, I don't think so highly of myself to be deserving of such attention. Anyway, I haven't found reason to believe otherwise. But feel free to explain why I should see it any other way.


No idea but something is out of focus here.
27003 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / your mind
Offline
Posted 3/25/13
Labels help you organize things
47598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
99 / F / Your boundaries
Offline
Posted 3/25/13 , edited 3/25/13

Sociopa wrote:

No idea but something is out of focus here.


I think that's what a discussion is for. I don't see why people feel the need to attack each other or force opinions. There's a lot to be learned when people are willing to listen. If someone can make me understand that my views on labels are mistaken, then I have no problem accepting it and thinking it over.

v I see we count as things now...
Posted 3/25/13

thekevin4 wrote:

Labels help you organize things


Logic

17053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/25/13
Labels aren't bad. If anything they can help you become unique. Why be a "nerd" when you can be Tommy the super, awesome, chocolate-covered, moe-hating, aspiring artist, breaking dancing nerd. Labels can also help if find others who be like you or share similar interest. The issue is that some labels have negative connotation or have multiple meaning to different people. Being a "killa" can mean that you own at free style while others will interpret you as a murderer (no sh*t, this happened to me in high school, highly embarrassing to explain slang to ppl with the cops) All in all, labels aren't bad, but reactions or perceptions about them can be hurtful.
16469 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / F
Offline
Posted 3/25/13

DetectiveAlex wrote:

trinkit wrote:
The only label anyone should have is that of individual.

Why is that? Labels are extremely useful.

Before answering your question, additional information would be extremely useful:

Please check your race: Latino___ Not-Hispanic___ Black___ White___ Other___
Sexual Orientation: ___
Political Party: ___
Marital Status: ___
Level of Education: ___
Occupation: ____
Annual Income: ____
Number of Felony Convictions: ____


thekevin4 wrote:
Labels help you organize things

I find that labeling is both sensible and expedient when dealing with inanimate objects, but even I would have trouble categorizing humans as such.

67723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 3/25/13
Labeling is usually done so that you can put someone you don't really know into a neat little box of preconceptions and forget about them. As such they are insulting to the person being labeled and an example of lazy thinking on the part of the person applying the label. Good, Bad? make your own value judgement about being insulting and lazy, but Myself? I don't think it's positive behaviour.
mipegg 
18388 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Online
Posted 3/25/13
Labeling can only ever be a bad thing since a label will only ever be offensive or neutral to someone so its just a dumb idea to do it
Wihl 
16637 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
L5
Offline
Posted 3/26/13
Labels are static over-simplifications of what you are labeling. If you are labeling a person, you tend to focus on the label and never really look at them again, losing how they change over time and the hidden diversity within them.
38 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F
Offline
Posted 3/26/13
The problem is that labeling is 'technically' wrong, as in the result is an incorrect interpretation of the labeled. This occurs because a label is a constant. There are people who fit many requirements of a label constant, enough to be labeled as such, but very few are in fact labeled 100% correctly. Many labels are highly inaccurate to begin with and certain requirements carry more weight. For example ethnicity, grades, appearance are ones that if manipulated can change your prelabeling system to label them differently. If You looked Mexican you were a border crosser or if you're Asian you're a genius etc. In fact the majority of the people that fill that one key requirement don't fill all the rest. that's why it's a problem.
Sailor Candy Moderator
163270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 10/17/13
Closed due to inactivity. No new post within half a year. Locked.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.