First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Ouya Console
26024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 3/31/13
I'm sure some of you know the upcoming console release of Ouya, the $99 (£99) box that runs on Android, it looks likely to be really popular, aiming at indie developers and looks to be a great multimedia box with Netflix etc looking likely to make it's way out. A lot of, if not all, Android apps run on it as it is, however on the Ouya the app could probably be fine tuned and made a lot better for the better hardware and bigger screen size (as it connects to the TV). Any future plans that may include the Ouya?
The Wise Wizard
77923 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 3/31/13

Phadeds wrote:
A lot of, if not all, Android apps run on it as it is, however on the Ouya the app could probably be fine tuned and made a lot better for the better hardware and bigger screen size (as it connects to the TV).

A potentially bigger issue is that like the Google TV, it would be stuck with the same 360p encodes that are the best CR currently makes available for Android devices.

27896 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / IL
Offline
Posted 4/1/13

TheAncientOne wrote:


Phadeds wrote:
A lot of, if not all, Android apps run on it as it is, however on the Ouya the app could probably be fine tuned and made a lot better for the better hardware and bigger screen size (as it connects to the TV).

A potentially bigger issue is that like the Google TV, it would be stuck with the same 360p encodes that are the best CR currently makes available for Android devices.



I'm not so sure about that. There is a beta out there of XBMC ruining great and very smoothly. You need pretty decent PC specs for it to even run properly. I'm sure CR are looking into it as it is rather easy to develop for and free as well. If this device is a hit, maybe version 2.0 will be able to do HD who knows.
23166 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 4/30/13
Hey, check this out:

http://www.ouya.tv/discover/

Specifically:


All that 1080p goodness isn’t just for gaming. OUYA brings all your favorite apps to the big screen, streaming shows, movies, and music directly into the living room. We’ve already partnered with Twitch.tv, Crunchyroll, iheartradio, TuneIn, XBMC, Plex and Flixster and are adding more to our list daily.


Looks like it's already a done deal!
The Wise Wizard
77923 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 4/30/13

flamepanther wrote
Looks like it's already a done deal!

Sounds good, but I wonder if that was set up (and hopefully a tweaked version of their Android app readied) before CR's Android developer took a leave and decide to not return.

23166 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 4/30/13
Personally, I'd rather have a new app from scratch than a tweaked version of the Android app. The UI will need to be all new in the first place, and that's really the larger part of the app. I'm certain they don't write their own h.264 and AAC decoders.
18014 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/28/13
Any updates on an Ouya app? Kinda want to use the Ouya as my primary media box
Vegetable Support Manager
Bjaker 
37465 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 7/2/13


Still working on our official release!
16015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 7/2/13
Good to hear; I'm excited for it.
6012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/1/13
Any more updates on the official release? I've got flash sideloaded onto the Ouya and Crunchroll plays really well from the Default browser but an official app would be so much better!
Vegetable Support Manager
Bjaker 
37465 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 8/6/13


It's on our To Do list!
20132 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 8/6/13
Not sure there's exactly a point, the OUYA won't have a very large install base.
The Wise Wizard
77923 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 8/7/13

AlmightyBoob wrote:

Not sure there's exactly a point, the OUYA won't have a very large install base.

It probably requires very little tweaking to get the existing Android app to work on the OUYA, so why not?

16015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 8/7/13

Leoislegend wrote:

Any more updates on the official release? I've got flash sideloaded onto the Ouya and Crunchroll plays really well from the Default browser but an official app would be so much better!

You could also try using Crunchyroll Takeout on sideloaded XBMC.
6012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/8/13

froostedgrooms wrote:


Leoislegend wrote:

Any more updates on the official release? I've got flash sideloaded onto the Ouya and Crunchroll plays really well from the Default browser but an official app would be so much better!

You could also try using Crunchyroll Takeout on sideloaded XBMC.


I didn't think of that, didn't even think to check if there was a Crunchyroll add-on for XBMC. Thanks, will try it out later!
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.