First  Prev  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  Next  Last
Post Reply My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 6/1/13
Honestly I think the show is made to be great purely because of Hachiman. He has the best lines and ultimately is responsible for most of the interesting dialogue or events that happen in the show.

Unfortunately his supporting cast isn't so great. Yukinoshita's "tsundere with baggage" routine got old episodes ago but she still finds the breath to needlessly diss Hachiman all the time...and it stopped being funny even in a teasy way.

Yuiga-chan is sort of one dimensional as one of the main supporting characters. She's pretty simplistic in terms of her actual being, despite her importance to the back story and the show in general.The rest of the characters I don't even need to bother mentioning. Plot devices at best.

What has ended up happening as a result is the show is beginning to stagnate because there is sum zero progression at all with any of the characters. We're 8 episodes in and Hachiman is still the words greatest and positive thinking cynic, Yukinon is still a personality-less snot, Yui is still naive, and none of the other characters matter. The last two haven't even been focused on the main characters but rather a little girl that's only supposed to symbolically represent Hachiman in some weird way.

Something needs to happen, because while Hachiman's inner monologues are brilliant, I don't think it can carry the show for more than it already has.
55225 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
the South Bay
Offline
Posted 6/1/13
INdeed this anime is about Hachiman and his life in high school. Its more of his slice of life but they have introduced a lot of characters in the anime that they are not very well developed.
63829 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Where the heart is
Offline
Posted 6/1/13

iashakezula wrote:

INdeed this anime is about Hachiman and his life in high school. Its more of his slice of life but they have introduced a lot of characters in the anime that they are not very well developed.



Would you say that the characters may be undeveloped because we see his school life from his perspective, so if he's not interested in his classmates then there's no point in us knowing about them?
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 6/1/13

NoBreyner wrote:


iashakezula wrote:

INdeed this anime is about Hachiman and his life in high school. Its more of his slice of life but they have introduced a lot of characters in the anime that they are not very well developed.



Would you say that the characters may be undeveloped because we see his school life from his perspective, so if he's not interested in his classmates then there's no point in us knowing about them?


I think that's too far an attempt to stretch things. Even if that is what they are doing, it's a terrible strategy. It's like the endless eight. Yes, we all get it, we experience the same thing as the character...that doesn't make it a great story/technique for telling the story. In fact it does the opposite.

Trying to explain away faults isn't healthy.
15276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Bay Area CA
Offline
Posted 6/1/13
The characters are underdeveloped because they are tied to Hachiman. He can say or do something to help or wound them and that has minor effects on them. The only other catalyst for their development would be Hachimans development as a character which atm seems unlikely, at least this season.
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 6/1/13

tommythecat wrote:

The characters are underdeveloped because they are tied to Hachiman. He can say or do something to help or wound them and that has minor effects on them. The only other catalyst for their development would be Hachimans development as a character which atm seems unlikely, at least this season.


This is exactly what I said. Hachiman is carrying the whole show. They really need to pick up the pace.
13218 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 6/1/13 , edited 6/1/13
CR being a week behind is really annoying. Anyway, I agree the characters need some more depth but ep 9 seems like the beginning of more depth for Yukino (wont say anymore than that). As long as Hatchiman stays the way he is, I'll keep watching (but the show does need more umph).
23843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Ar
Offline
Posted 6/1/13
I don't know. Show seems fine with me even without the character depth some are looking for when discussing Yukino and Yui. Hachiman is THE main character of the show, if he wasn't then we would see inner-monologues from Yui and Yukino as well. If anything, those two ladies compliment him extremely well and help maintain the feel of the anime. Maybe there is a point in not expanding the ladies character at this time. In my opinion, with the few episodes left, it will not affect my feelings about this show at all. The manga will still be ongoing so there is plenty of time for further developments.
75442 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 6/1/13
I'll leave this here for some of your enjoyment...



anyways, there is 4 episodes left so:

10: dilemma
11. start solution
12. finish solution
13. regular conclusion

something like this.
23843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Ar
Offline
Posted 6/1/13

AnimeKami wrote:

I'll leave this here for some of your enjoyment...



anyways, there is 4 episodes left so:

10: dilemma
11. start solution
12. finish solution
13. regular conclusion

something like this.


That must the "morning after" pic eh?
75442 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 6/1/13

shaunj07 wrote:



That must the "morning after" pic eh?


That's for me to find out and you guys to tell me XD

To be honest I am not if it is the trap that makes the comedy good or 8man's reaction to the trap... that said some have stated his or her opinion that 8man is carrying the anime.

23843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Ar
Offline
Posted 6/2/13

AnimeKami wrote:


shaunj07 wrote:



That must the "morning after" pic eh?


That's for me to find out and you guys to tell me XD

To be honest I am not if it is the trap that makes the comedy good or 8man's reaction to the trap... that said some have stated his or her opinion that 8man is carrying the anime.



Yea, I've seen those comments. While he is the MC, I don't think he is carrying the anime alone. Every character has their importance and without them the show wouldn't be as good.
75442 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 6/2/13

shaunj07 wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:


shaunj07 wrote:



That must the "morning after" pic eh?


That's for me to find out and you guys to tell me XD

To be honest I am not if it is the trap that makes the comedy good or 8man's reaction to the trap... that said some have stated his or her opinion that 8man is carrying the anime.



Yea, I've seen those comments. While he is the MC, I don't think he is carrying the anime alone. Every character has their importance and without them the show wouldn't be as good.


You're saying that the interactions of 8man with a cast of characters is what makes 8man well… 8man?

Woahhhhhhhhhh… I've said this before, quote:


Anyone can write a whole essay, break down the analysis into individual bullets and defend what he is she wrote. However it takes a genius to write a sentence to do the EXACT same thing the essay did.


Thank you good Sir.
15276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Bay Area CA
Offline
Posted 6/2/13

shaunj07 wrote:

I don't know. Show seems fine with me even without the character depth some are looking for when discussing Yukino and Yui. Hachiman is THE main character of the show, if he wasn't then we would see inner-monologues from Yui and Yukino as well. If anything, those two ladies compliment him extremely well and help maintain the feel of the anime. Maybe there is a point in not expanding the ladies character at this time. In my opinion, with the few episodes left, it will not affect my feelings about this show at all. The manga will still be ongoing so there is plenty of time for further developments.


Of course he's the main character of the show, and they show is good because of him. However if he does nothing to either develop the characters around him or develop himself he will turn into Kodaka, perpetually pretending like things around him aren't changing or need to develop because the weak excuse of just "being in a club together" no longer applies whether he likes it or not.
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 6/2/13

shaunj07 wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:


shaunj07 wrote:



That must the "morning after" pic eh?


That's for me to find out and you guys to tell me XD

To be honest I am not if it is the trap that makes the comedy good or 8man's reaction to the trap... that said some have stated his or her opinion that 8man is carrying the anime.



Yea, I've seen those comments. While he is the MC, I don't think he is carrying the anime alone. Every character has their importance and without them the show wouldn't be as good.


They have an arbitrary importance to the show because they are written in to the story as being important. The part they are failing at is making us believe they are important as any other means than a plot device to Hachiman's endgame (which I'm either assuming is his enlightenment to a different outlook on the world, or something else similar).

Of course the show wouldn't be "as good" if Hachiman was the only character in it. You're completely missing the point
First  Prev  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.