First  Prev  138  139  140  141  142  143  144  145  146  147  148  149  150  Next  Last
Post Reply Attack on Titan Discussions (Spoilers)
35277 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 5/26/13 , edited 5/26/13

ichigosr55 wrote:

Never have I said that the show was a stereotypical shounen, i said that Eren is a stereotypical shounen lead. I say this because he is given a unique ability that close to no one has to compensate for his lack of skill (e.g Naruto with the Nine-tails Fox and Ichigo with his Hollow). It is a tool that is used to avoid having a character like Goku who is crazy strong for no reason other than the fact that he is the main character. All I am saying is that Eren would have been a more realistic, and for me more likeable, if he started average in strength but his determination to kill all of the titans gave him reason to grow stronger.

The show had a really good start. Episode 1 showed the viewer and Eren himself how powerless he was against these titans. His mother's death gave him reason to become stronger. The end of Episode 3 gave Eren confidence; he felt he could now take on the titans now. Episode 5 showed him he was not as strong as he thought he was, but then he was given an overpowered ability to save him and make all his development mean nothing in the end. I feel it would have been so much better if Eren's leg was not bitten off, but he was just knocked out somehow. He awakens and pulls Armin out of the titans mouth and also jumps out. After that he has a long battle with this one titan, getting scratched up, bruised, and covered in his own blood but ends up barely beating it. The severity of his injuries from just fighting this one titan when characters like Mikasa can effortlessly kill titans would have perfectly shown his unwavering determination even in a hopeless fight and given him a goal to work towards instead of being another Ichigo who is only alive because of his Hollow (Yes, I know my username makes his unbelievably ironic lol). Eren just got my hopes really high and ended up a big disappointment.

Ah, gotcha.

But

It feels like you're complaining that Eren can't solve all the world's problems with just hard work and determination, when its been laid down emphatically that if that were possible it would've been done long before Eren came around. He's not the most cunning, or the strongest, or the bravest, or the most determined. But he might be the miracle they need.

And his convictions make him a good vehicle for the audience's attention.

Instead of staring at Eren, just use him as a focal point to look at the rest of the story as it unfolds.
15276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Bay Area CA
Offline
Posted 5/26/13
Eren honestly is the weakest part of the story, he has his moments later but he is stereotypical shounen through and through. That's why I laughed so hard when his piss and vinegar attitude got him eaten in the manga. I think that would have been a great way to end his character but that didn't happen so at least he can learn a lesson from it.

The people that truly stand out in Attack on Titan are the support cast and Mikasa.
72658 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 5/26/13
anyone notice how manly ymir looks?
15276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Bay Area CA
Offline
Posted 5/26/13
reaction video to episode 8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9s690ONv-Y
35277 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 5/26/13 , edited 5/26/13
At least so far, I'd call Eren a subversion of a stereotypical shonen lead. Instead of going around saving the world with his group of friends, Eren goes around with his group of friends and repeatedly gets his ass kicked. Spectacularly, at times.



AnimeKami wrote:

anyone notice how manly ymir looks?

Kinda, yeah.

Earlier when people were talking about Hanji having an undeclared gender I assumed they were talking about Ymir.
15276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Bay Area CA
Offline
Posted 5/26/13
You have a point there with the spoiler and as I said before he sucks as a fighter

I guess some offshoot of stereotypical shounen lead would be more accurate in that right.
16513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 5/26/13 , edited 5/26/13

Insomnist wrote:


ichigosr55 wrote:

Never have I said that the show was a stereotypical shounen, i said that Eren is a stereotypical shounen lead. I say this because he is given a unique ability that close to no one has to compensate for his lack of skill (e.g Naruto with the Nine-tails Fox and Ichigo with his Hollow). It is a tool that is used to avoid having a character like Goku who is crazy strong for no reason other than the fact that he is the main character. All I am saying is that Eren would have been a more realistic, and for me more likeable, if he started average in strength but his determination to kill all of the titans gave him reason to grow stronger.

The show had a really good start. Episode 1 showed the viewer and Eren himself how powerless he was against these titans. His mother's death gave him reason to become stronger. The end of Episode 3 gave Eren confidence; he felt he could now take on the titans now. Episode 5 showed him he was not as strong as he thought he was, but then he was given an overpowered ability to save him and make all his development mean nothing in the end. I feel it would have been so much better if Eren's leg was not bitten off, but he was just knocked out somehow. He awakens and pulls Armin out of the titans mouth and also jumps out. After that he has a long battle with this one titan, getting scratched up, bruised, and covered in his own blood but ends up barely beating it. The severity of his injuries from just fighting this one titan when characters like Mikasa can effortlessly kill titans would have perfectly shown his unwavering determination even in a hopeless fight and given him a goal to work towards instead of being another Ichigo who is only alive because of his Hollow (Yes, I know my username makes his unbelievably ironic lol). Eren just got my hopes really high and ended up a big disappointment.

Ah, gotcha.

But

It feels like you're complaining that Eren can't solve all the world's problems with just hard work and determination, when its been laid down emphatically that if that were possible it would've been done long before Eren came around. He's not the most cunning, or the strongest, or the bravest, or the most determined. But he might be the miracle they need.

And his convictions make him a good vehicle for the audience's attention.

Instead of staring at Eren, just use him as a focal point to look at the rest of the story as it unfolds.


He scored in the top 10, yes, but that isn't saying much when no one outside of the top ten has even killed a titan. It was even said in episode 4 that Eren has no particular talent, while people like Mikasa and Annie are very skilled. So although he is in the top 10, he is nowhere near as good as some of the others in the top ten. So you can say he is an average fighter.

Also you say "its been laid down emphatically that if that were possible it would've been done long before Eren came around,"
Is it really asking much to want a lead who is as good as some of the other characters? I mean, why focus on this character if they are not nearly as helpful, likable, and interesting as other people in the story?
35277 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 5/26/13 , edited 5/26/13

The rest... just doesn't bother me. So I'm not really sure what else to say.

I like Eren how he is; it gives him room to grow. You're comparing him to characters who are "fully grown" basically.

It'd make for a boring protagonist, I think.

But I think I understand what you're saying; my disagreement is just subjective.

16513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 5/26/13

Insomnist wrote:


The rest... just doesn't bother me. So I'm not really sure what else to say.

I like Eren how he is; it gives him room to grow. You're comparing him to characters who are "fully grown" basically.

It'd make for a boring protagonist, I think.

But I think I understand what you're saying; my disagreement is just subjective.


It is nice to finally disagree with someone and them not get hostile

469 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 5/26/13

AnimeKami wrote:

anyone notice how manly ymir looks?



I so want to know more about her, btw is she lesbian or something?

72658 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 5/26/13

DaCocoloco_Man wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

anyone notice how manly ymir looks?



I so want to know more about her, btw is she lesbian or something?



maria holic has taught everyone to use the word "yuri" not "lesbian" lol

anyways no they are not in a yuri relationship, currently discloseable information will lead to massive spoilers.
9918 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Planet Mato
Offline
Posted 5/26/13
man i've been seeing pics of this anime everywhere, i should probably go watch it
72658 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 5/26/13 , edited 5/26/13

eggy_roll_1 wrote:

man i've been seeing pics of this anime everywhere, i should probably go watch it


you probably should...

spoiler alert: many of the characters die :O

edit: this is so god damn cute... jeeeeebus

469 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 5/27/13

This!
14964 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Norway, Oslo
Offline
Posted 5/27/13
Would have been more realistic if Eren had been naked when he popped out of the titan, its not an automobile.
First  Prev  138  139  140  141  142  143  144  145  146  147  148  149  150  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.