First  Prev  79  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  87  88  89  90  91  92  93  94  95  Next  Last
Post Reply Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet Discussion
83905 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 6/24/13 , edited 6/24/13

zipzo wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

The insults are a hell of a lot more interesting than the long ass discussions.

I don't understand the zeal in arguing your opinions and theories as if your life is defendant on it.


Have you ever posted anything useful? Haven't seen it.


Have you?

As I recall, it was you who said, "I massively spoil stuff." I am doing you a courtesy. Now do me one and actually type something that isn't bias.
39898 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Online
Posted 6/24/13 , edited 6/24/13

NoBreyner wrote:

Is Ledo a clone? In the scene attached below they all seem to have the same color hair with minor differences in shade. Maybe they have a hand full of people they're constantly turning out for the military. Maybe this is why life is so cheap to throw them at the Hideauze to earn their right to continued life. Of course this is an extreme view of what the GA's troops are, but I can't get past why they don't have any other hair color.



Someone worked out an explanation for that before that I remember:


m4xwellmurd3r wrote:

Hah I also came up with an explanation why Ledo's hair and skin are so white and pale. If you noticed in the first episode during the like...subliminal messages they were putting into his head, it seems that everyone in space has white/grey hair and pale skin.

Space has massive amounts of radiation of different wave lengths. Of course, none of them are good for human survival, so it's my theory that in space, the colonies, as well as all space craft, use very strong radiation shields to combat the radiation waves from penetrating and harming them. Because of this, it also blocks UV rays. UV rays are what triggers the human body to produce melanin (and in turn, gives us tans) by being in space so long, without any UV radiation, humans have evolved to no longer produce melanin, thus becoming albino's in essence. This also makes sense if you note the color of Ledo's eyes (they're a purpleish pinkish color, which apparently can occur in albino humans)



Rito2Ru wrote:

The whole point of the Ledo's brother scene was for Ledo to develop a more human side whereas before he was all "serious soldier on a mission". With his brother dead, Ledo learned the feelings of loss, he developed more emotions because of it rather than repress those memories. He was finally able to express some outward emotion. He learned that he doesn't also want to lose those he had begun to be close to on Gargantia.

And you say that the audience wouldn't care if the brother is alive or dead, then the argument works both ways. Why would the audience care to see a character again that had all but 10 seconds of screen time throughout the whole series? Why would we start to focus on a character that the audience doesn't care about either way? You say that it was the event and not the person that was important. Then we can conclude that Ledo's brother has fulfilled his purpose in the show already and there is no reason to bring him back.

I'm only asking this because if there is going to be a season 2 (speculation of course) then what kind of solid story line can they bring? I don't think they should focus on characters of the past anymore or anything related to the alliance or Hideauze. They should focus on the future of the current cast of characters and their struggles. The theme(s) of the show itself is kind of hazy but isn't it about one's humanity and how we define ourselves? The pirates aren't gone yet, Ledo isn't FULLY accustomed to earth society yet, there's a whole bunch of stuff they can explore.

Didn't your mom ever tell you not to criticize during a brainstorming session?

I'm sad now though, I thought my ideas were interesting.

Anyway, that wasn't the point. The point was there's a plethora of story threads they can pick up on and follow on Earth or off of it to fill out future cours about the future of Gargantia, the present/past of the Hideauze, and pretty much anything about the Galactic Alliance. And why should anyone care about any character before they're characterized?

Ledo's brother was a plot point, but that's no reason for him not to become a neat character in his own right.
19916 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / England
Online
Posted 6/25/13

AnimeKami wrote:


zipzo wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

The insults are a hell of a lot more interesting than the long ass discussions.

I don't understand the zeal in arguing your opinions and theories as if your life is defendant on it.


Have you ever posted anything useful? Haven't seen it.


Have you?

As I recall, it was you who said, "I massively spoil stuff." I am doing you a courtesy. Now do me one and actually type something that isn't bias.


I got your back bro.
47659 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Online
Posted 6/25/13
What I didn't like about episode 12:




What I liked about episode 12:

22953 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/25/13

His disobedience is the course of action we all expected. What worst: Seeing the sacrifices and still blindly following the order.
47659 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Online
Posted 6/25/13

twintiger12 wrote:


His disobedience is the course of action we all expected. What worst: Seeing the sacrifices and still blindly following the order.


Do you find that believable though?

49879 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / Champaign, IL
Offline
Posted 6/25/13

twintiger12 wrote:


His disobedience is the course of action we all expected. What worst: Seeing the sacrifices and still blindly following the order.

Exactly! A soldier who witnesses an atrocity and continues to follow orders, killing innocents, is called a war criminal. A soldier who sees such things and disobeys orders is called a hero, assuming he doesn't face a courts marshal and get hushed up before his story gets out. There is no reason to consider Ledo's actions bad character development.



22953 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/25/13

GayAsianBoy wrote:


twintiger12 wrote:


His disobedience is the course of action we all expected. What worst: Seeing the sacrifices and still blindly following the order.


Do you find that believable though?


He is a human not machine, and after all what happen from the beginning of the series how can this is not believable.
49879 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / Champaign, IL
Offline
Posted 6/25/13

GayAsianBoy wrote:


twintiger12 wrote:


His disobedience is the course of action we all expected. What worst: Seeing the sacrifices and still blindly following the order.


Do you find that believable though?


Absolutely! Remember

This is his worst nightmare come true. Of course he will rebel against it!

49852 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / With Lucina
Online
Posted 6/25/13
So you're saying it would've been a good thing if he didn't disobey command? That it would've been a good thing for Ledo to not have any doubt in his commander, to not think for himself and just blindly follow? That would just undo all the character growth he had on Gargantia where he had to think for himself, make his own decisions based on his own thoughts. He gained an independent mindset that is apart from the hive mind of the Alliance.

His bond with the commander is different from those of the people on Gargantia. You can always have doubts about the actions of your leader if you have free will and have a moral conscience. Also just following orders while in the army is not the same as knowing a person all their life. Ledo does look up to the commander (that is probably the only thing that connects the two) which is why he only fought Striker into submission, he wants to stop Kugel's plans but not at the cost of his life. Ledo could have had Chamber destroy Striker then and there but he didn't, Ledo has gained an understanding of humanity and that taking another's life is not always the answer.

When Ledo came onto Gargantia he learned of a different kind of relationship, one of warmth, caring, and interdependence (which helped to remind him of the memory of his "brother", the only person he ever felt close too while in the Alliance). Because of the similarity with the case of Ledo's brother, Ledo doesn't want to lose someone he cares about again, and it just so happens he feels this way about the people of Gargantia.

He may have been conditioned from birth but there have been times where even Ledo had doubts about himself in the Alliance ie the scene where his "brother" is taken away. He repressed that memory later on but it is clear he wasn't always sure that what the army did was right.

And why do people keep bringing up the whole pirate thing? That was in ep 2 or 3 or something, before Ledo learned that people just aren't gears that can be replaced if "broken" or considered "faulty" with a new gear. That they're all people with lives, good or bad. While in the Alliance, Ledo most likely considered himself and every one else just gears in the larger mechanism of the Alliance. If one part fails, replace the part with another genetically engineered individual. People were easily replaceable then but on earth, Ledo learns that it is anything but.
15276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Bay Area CA
Offline
Posted 6/25/13

Zensunni wrote:


Absolutely! Remember

This is his worst nightmare come true. Of course he will rebel against it!



In other words, he wants to tap that.

But yeah his reaction is pretty much in line with rational thought, not sure how anyone could see him doing anything different.
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 6/25/13 , edited 6/25/13

AnimeKami wrote:


zipzo wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

The insults are a hell of a lot more interesting than the long ass discussions.

I don't understand the zeal in arguing your opinions and theories as if your life is defendant on it.


Have you ever posted anything useful? Haven't seen it.


Have you?

As I recall, it was you who said, "I massively spoil stuff." I am doing you a courtesy. Now do me one and actually type something that isn't bias.


I owe you nothing because spoiling things is wrong. Nobody likes it. You're a jerk if you do it. You're not doing a courtesy you're just rightfully, as you should be, following the damn unspoken golden rule of all cinema & video entertainment.

I just can't recall that you've ever productively added to a conversation, that's all.
47659 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Online
Posted 6/25/13 , edited 6/25/13

Zensunni


His disobedience is the course of action we all expected. What worst: Seeing the sacrifices and still blindly following the order.

Exactly! A soldier who witnesses an atrocity and continues to follow orders, killing innocents, is called a war criminal. A soldier who sees such things and disobeys orders is called a hero, assuming he doesn't face a courts marshal and get hushed up before his story gets out. There is no reason to consider Ledo's actions bad character development.



Yes. A soldier has to follow a commander's command... it's in the military training and law.

If you look at real life examples... Nazi regime, attack on Pearl Harbour, bombing of Hiroshima etc... those were soldiers following commands.

And if you look at The Alliance in the anime "Gargantia", people like Ledo were raised as soldiers since birth... it's absurd to me that he would go against his superior's order.


twintiger12
He is a human not machine, and after all what happen from the beginning of the series how can this is not believable.


See above.
15276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Bay Area CA
Offline
Posted 6/25/13

GayAsianBoy wrote:


Yes. A soldier has to follow a commander's command... it's in the military training and law.

If you look at real life examples... Nazi regime, attack on Pearl Harbour, bombing of Hiroshima etc... those were soldiers following commands.

And if you look at The Alliance in the anime "Gargantia", people like Ledo were raised as soldiers since birth... it's absurd to me that he would go against his superior's order.



He has no one to answer to, so he doesn't need to carry out slaughter of innocents as he's not their enemy.
23561 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Hawaii-Wisconsin
Online
Posted 6/25/13

GayAsianBoy wrote:


Soldiers are allowed to question and not follow orders that are immoral without negative course of action taken against them in the real world, why can't this same concept apply to an anime?

To equate Ledo's situation to the real life examples you mentioned is absurd. Those actions took place during a time of World War and don't fit into the current situation at all. In fact, the Milgram Experiment gives amazing insight into the scenarios you mentioned and explains why they happened, for the most part.

Kugel and Ledo may be soldiers, but for all intents and purposes are no longer under the jurisdiction of the Alliance and are not required to adhere to whatever military policy there may be regarding other civilizations.
First  Prev  79  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  87  88  89  90  91  92  93  94  95  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.