First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Americans F%ck are Military!!
14789 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Winding Circle
Offline
Posted 2/13/14 , edited 2/15/14
So no one has been listening to the fact that US military is also used for things besides fighting?

The National Guard is military, yet it has that one program that helps pay for college and is used around the country, they were in Boston when that marathon bombing happened and for the investigation that followed. They were in New Orleans and other affected areas to help clean up after Hurricane Katrina went through.

I'd also like to point out that the Coast Guard is considered part of the military, it's an official branch. But what is the Coast Guard known for? Rescuing people in oceans, that's the image I get when I think of the Coast Guard. And yet it's military, so we do need our military, since it's not all militaristic things it supports.

Maybe the money could be handled better, I know my mom would benefit from getting improved helped from the VA. She's a disabled veteran, and she doesn't get nearly as much help as she should, and with her disability (both of her hands have fused wrists, so she can't bend her wrists and has severe arthritis), she has issues getting jobs. She currently works at Wal-mart because the degree she went for after getting out of the military did not get her any job, and she would like to become a teacher but has no way to do so without money, and the VA does do sponsorships, but they used that up with her meteorology degree after giving her bad advice about the job market with the degree. So yes, the money should be handled better and given to veterans to help them when they can't get a job or anything because of what happened while they were in the military.

However, I don't think we should be too concerned about the military getting so much tax dollars when there are other areas that get money and handle it poorly as well.

And as someone said, we're not in the government so we don't know exactly how they work. Why should we concern ourselves with it in the end? Education is a STATE run thing for the most part, I know this because the education system is massively different in Florida, where my aunt teaches, from here in Minnesota where I grow up. That's also an important factor about the budget come to think of it. The US government is set up so that the country wide government determines some things and the state government decides other, and it varies state to state. Because of that, I believe it's hard to pinpoint how the budget is actually run.

Off topic: The main reason I came to this thread was I had no clue what the title meant. It should be "Americans **** our military" which would have also caught my attention because I don't believe the military is all that bad, I grew up in a family where many have served, my grandpa was in the army, my dad in the air force as well as mom, my great grandpa (didn't know him)was in the military in world war 2, actually so was my grandma's step dad (who I did know), he was a nurse. My mom's cousin was in the military, grandma's brother went to Vietnam and couldn't get a job afterwards though he was pretty much forced into it (partially because he was a brat and all that beforehand). So either way it would have caught my attention, it just wouldn't have taken me nearly the whole thread to figure out what the title actually is.

On top of that, I could barely make sense of what you say. I agree that insulting one's grammar is not a good way to debate. However, if one cannot read what the other person is saying, how can a debate take place? I ended up skipping the original post and gleaning what you said based on what other people were saying. English as a second language is no excuse, I've seen writers on fanfiction who use better grammar than I do that have English as a second language. Some people can read bad grammar, and I've seen bad grammar, and this is one of the worst cases I've seen, I've never seen someone mix up 'our' and 'are' so often. Which means i spent more time trying to read what you said than thinking about it. In other words, your grammar does need major improvement.
25145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Beyond The Wall
Offline
Posted 2/13/14

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

How much out of every tax dollar spent do you think goes to are military budget?
47% goes into weapons and research. 6% more goes into paying for are soldiers and their needs.
so for ever dollar taken for tax 53% of it is given to the military.

Compare that to Iceland they take 1% of their tax payers money and put it into a military Budget.

Now lets look at the 2nd largest military China, how much more do you think we spend in are military than they do? we spend 5 times more than they do.
We spend over 40 times more than most other countries.

So next time you take a dollar out of your wallet just think how about half will be spent on weapons and bases made for killing people, and another few pennies on the people to use those weapons.


Do we Really need to spend so much money on are military?
Iceland spends 1% on there military, we spend 53%.
Makes you think where they spend the other 99% of there money? Education? Science? Health care? What are they crazy!?!



If you get kidnapped by the NSA and end up in Guantanamo Bay; dont say we didnt warn you
98153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Location
Offline
Posted 2/14/14 , edited 2/14/14
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

I respect our TROOPS, not our military.
17891 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Offline
Posted 2/14/14 , edited 2/14/14

dragontackle wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

How much out of every tax dollar spent do you think goes to are military budget?
47% goes into weapons and research. 6% more goes into paying for are soldiers and their needs.
so for ever dollar taken for tax 53% of it is given to the military.

Compare that to Iceland they take 1% of their tax payers money and put it into a military Budget.

Now lets look at the 2nd largest military China, how much more do you think we spend in are military than they do? we spend 5 times more than they do.
We spend over 40 times more than most other countries.

So next time you take a dollar out of your wallet just think how about half will be spent on weapons and bases made for killing people, and another few pennies on the people to use those weapons.


Do we Really need to spend so much money on are military?
Iceland spends 1% on there military, we spend 53%.
Makes you think where they spend the other 99% of there money? Education? Science? Health care? What are they crazy!?!



If you get kidnapped by the NSA and end up in Guantanamo Bay; dont say we didnt warn you


and when you kidnapped and beheaded by arab extremists don't say we didn't warn you

49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/14/14

schnipdip wrote:


xtangle wrote:


schnipdip wrote:


luis353 wrote:

Waste of money. They aren't even able to stop the Taliban or North-Korea, and when they go to war (Iraq), it's only for there own gain, and not to free the people.


We could end them in 1 minute. We just decide to use the humane way of settling things.


the americans were who started it xD do you not read the news and stuff?


We didn't start anything. The US alone is a neutral country. We don't go to war for no apparent reason. We have to have a justifiable cause to go to war.


Neutral?LOL!Thanks,That made my day!
Posted 2/15/14 , edited 2/15/14

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:





There is a major flaw in the arguement that the OP stated as that 53% is a misrepresentation of how the US fiscal budget is set up. That 53% only represents the percentage, not dollar amount, of discretionary spending. Not the entire fiscal budget.

Each year there are two types of spending; mandatory and discretionary. Mandatory spending covers things like Social Security and Medicaid while discretionary spending includes the military budget. These types of spending are looked at as independent of each other. Let's say you have a typical fiscal budget of 3.5 trillion dollars. You would take some of that for mandatory spending and then the remaining for discretionary. You now have two separate budgets in a sense so. for example...

1.5 trillion (Mandatory)
3.0 trillion (Discretionary)

That 53% that you're talking about is actually only a percentage of discretionary spending, not the entire fiscal budget. This inflates the percentage making it look like a lot more money is being sent to the military than actually is

When you then add in the rest of the fiscal budget and take the percentage of money sent to the military against the entire fiscal budget that 53% drops and the true percentage is revealed.

In 2011 that percentage,I believe, was about 19%. Therefore in 2011, where your figure of 53% comes from, the true percentage of tax payer dollars that went to the US military was only 19%

In the end that makes $0.19 on every dollar of tax payer money, not $0 53. If it were $0.53 the military budget would be 1.8 trillion dollars for the fiscal year. For 2011 the military budget was only $680 billion

If you take our 3.5 trillion and take 19% of it you get... 665,000,000,000 or $665 Billion which is close to the 2011 military budget.of $680 Billion

I found the article and youtube video that you used for your information and just being honest, those sources are what you would call propaganda. Communicating only parts of information in effort to influence the opinions of other people especially for political gain or descent is called propaganda. Your sources exploited how the US fiscal budget is separated into two spending types and only presented the part that highly inflates US military spending. This was done to get people angry and upset with the government and spur on more distrust through partial truths.
23684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Fort Bragg, NC
Offline
Posted 2/15/14

Schmeh172 wrote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

I respect our TROOPS, not our military.


oo very interesting statement, me like it
17891 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Offline
Posted 2/15/14

Gyava wrote:


Schmeh172 wrote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

I respect our TROOPS, not our military.


oo very interesting statement, me like it


I disagree hate the government not the military they are just fallowing the orders of a lawfully elected government regardless of what most think the military does not act it's own accord.

23684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Fort Bragg, NC
Offline
Posted 2/15/14

uncletim wrote:


Gyava wrote:


Schmeh172 wrote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

I respect our TROOPS, not our military.


oo very interesting statement, me like it


I disagree hate the government not the military they are just fallowing the orders of a lawfully elected government regardless of what most think the military does not act it's own accord.



I now disagree with my past agreement and agree with your disagreement
25145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Beyond The Wall
Offline
Posted 2/15/14

uncletim wrote:


dragontackle wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

How much out of every tax dollar spent do you think goes to are military budget?
47% goes into weapons and research. 6% more goes into paying for are soldiers and their needs.
so for ever dollar taken for tax 53% of it is given to the military.

Compare that to Iceland they take 1% of their tax payers money and put it into a military Budget.

Now lets look at the 2nd largest military China, how much more do you think we spend in are military than they do? we spend 5 times more than they do.
We spend over 40 times more than most other countries.

So next time you take a dollar out of your wallet just think how about half will be spent on weapons and bases made for killing people, and another few pennies on the people to use those weapons.


Do we Really need to spend so much money on are military?
Iceland spends 1% on there military, we spend 53%.
Makes you think where they spend the other 99% of there money? Education? Science? Health care? What are they crazy!?!



If you get kidnapped by the NSA and end up in Guantanamo Bay; dont say we didnt warn you


and when you kidnapped and beheaded by arab extremists don't say we didn't warn you



Id be pretty hard to kidnap, especially with my blast knuckles i just bought
22 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 2/15/14

Gyava wrote:


uncletim wrote:


Gyava wrote:


Schmeh172 wrote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

I respect our TROOPS, not our military.


oo very interesting statement, me like it


I disagree hate the government not the military they are just fallowing the orders of a lawfully elected government regardless of what most think the military does not act it's own accord.



I now disagree with my past agreement and agree with your disagreement


Let's not forget the military's power, which have been known to make abuses in government. Maybe not so apparently true in the US, but take all the other countries where the military dictates the government. Egypt, Pakistan, Zimbabwe.

I also want a spot light on dick cheney.
23684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Fort Bragg, NC
Offline
Posted 2/15/14

PugAddict wrote:



Let's not forget the military's power, which have been known to make abuses in government. Maybe not so apparently true in the US, but take all the other countries where the military dictates the government. Egypt, Pakistan, Zimbabwe.

I also want a spot light on dick cheney.


I like your shirt a lot
17891 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Offline
Posted 2/15/14

PugAddict wrote:


Gyava wrote:


uncletim wrote:


Gyava wrote:


Schmeh172 wrote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

I respect our TROOPS, not our military.


oo very interesting statement, me like it


I disagree hate the government not the military they are just fallowing the orders of a lawfully elected government regardless of what most think the military does not act it's own accord.



I now disagree with my past agreement and agree with your disagreement


Let's not forget the military's power, which have been known to make abuses in government. Maybe not so apparently true in the US, but take all the other countries where the military dictates the government. Egypt, Pakistan, Zimbabwe.

I also want a spot light on dick cheney.


Why? he has been out of the spot light for almost 8 years sheesh let it go already. Yes the US military could abuse it's power and over throw the goverment and there is very little to stop it. But in over 200 years it hasn't that speaks a lot to me. Why do you think that is? There is no draft on In fact it's harder to get in then ever before

26428 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / NJ, USA
Online
Posted 2/16/14
To make things short, a lot of money goes to the military so we can retain our dominance around the globe. Why the military is everywhere is because corporations (i.e. oil industry, etc.) need them to fortify and protect their interests. If it didn't come down to dirty business, we wouldn't be where we are and spending so much.
15180 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Alhambra, CA
Offline
Posted 2/21/14 , edited 2/21/14

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

How much out of every tax dollar spent do you think goes to are military budget?
47% goes into weapons and research. 6% more goes into paying for are soldiers and their needs.
so for ever dollar taken for tax 53% of it is given to the military.



Seriously?! Where did you get those numbers?

For the FY 2014, the military spending budget is only 17%. For the FY 2013, considering the budget cuts since Obama took office for his 2nd term, it should be same or lower.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.