First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Valvrave the Liberator Discussions (Seasons 1 and 2)
79020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 4/26/13

shaunj07 wrote:

Nothing typical about a mecha pilot vampirizing people allowing him to take over another person's body and then being able to go back to his own body. Secondly, what mecha anime have you seen which the pilot was asked by the mecha programing if he was willing to give up his humanity to pilot the mecha? I understand the criticisms of the main character, but I still wonder what a lot of people expect in 3 episodes. It's almost as if each episode isn't the best thing since sliced bread then it's a disappointment. I've seen a lot of mecha and yet I don't consider this the biggest disappointment of spring 2013. Oh well, I'm sticking with this until the end. This is off the subject sort of, but I'm finding Valvrave much more entertaining than Chihayafuru 2


Lots of mecha animes don't actually specifically say this, but a lot of them have given them up already. This show just made it more implicit.

IE: setsuna f seiei "I am gundam"
24911 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Virginia
Offline
Posted 4/27/13
This show reminds me of Code Geass and Gundam 00. Despite all the criticism, I like the story and plot, it's interesting to watch and that's all that i care about right now. Even when there are points in the plot that seem a little ridiculous, i still keep on watching just for the fun of it lol. In comparison to the first couple of episodes, the plot has certainly picked up quite a bit making it even more interesting (especially the cliffhanger at the end of episode 3). Can't wait to see what happens next!
79020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 4/27/13

irtiza9169 wrote:

This show reminds me of Code Geass and Gundam 00. Despite all the criticism, I like the story and plot, it's interesting to watch and that's all that i care about right now. Even when there are points in the plot that seem a little ridiculous, i still keep on watching just for the fun of it lol. In comparison to the first couple of episodes, the plot has certainly picked up quite a bit making it even more interesting (especially the cliffhanger at the end of episode 3). Can't wait to see what happens next!


I like your choice of words.

Certainly episode 3 did pick up and hopefully it will again in episode 4.

spoiler alert: l-11 will go start a revolution wonder what he is unsatisfied about, but judging from his psyche it isn't unreasonable. Hopefully it isn't the "i want to make a better world because this work is crap"

PS: never have hope worst form of birth control ever
5024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 4/27/13 , edited 4/27/13
At this point I've consigned this show to the 'stupid but fun' category. The idea of vampires in giant robots is cool, but there are just too many little plot holes and confusing inconsistencies (for example, the Valvrave is Dorssia's main objective, yet when they had it in custody they just.... kept it where they found it and didn't even guard it well?)

I think that the show's main flaw, though, is the fact that they're trying to introduce way too many characters right off the bat. They should be focusing on only four to five main characters at the moment (probably Haruto, Shoko, ERU-ERUFU, and maybe one or two others) but they're just spreading attention across a (pretty generic) cast. We don't need to know exactly what high school student archetype #31 is thinking right now, we should focusing on our mains, at least in the first episodes.

But at least these characters are likable. This show's kind of reminding me of Guilty Crown (not in plot or characters, just the show itself), and its major failing was how hateable the main cast was. Even if L-Elf's rampage/slaughter was really poorly written, at least it was amusing to watch. Apparently he just keeps tons of military-grade ordinance clutched in his ass at all times.

Honestly if we just lined the dozen introduced characters up against a wall and shot two-thirds of them and told the remaining cast that they're the mains, I think that the show would get better.

Yet I'm still wanting to watch next week's episode
I still feel like this show can turn around and become legitimately good and not just a guilty pleasure

also the show's ED is actually very good, music-wise

Also, the daily life of eru-erufu from 4chan:

> Caught again
>>overpower guards without any formal firearm training [easy]
> Need to find a way out and a way to take care of any pursuers
>>sees storage room next to interrogation room with sign "C4" [easy]
> Assume asswipes at ARUS will do some stupid shit like sending flamethrower corps
>> Look over and see emergency atmosphere purse lever
> Assume ARUS being retards will try to send space fighters to deal with him, potentially compromising space habitat integrity
>> See button next to lever with label "emergency anti space fighter invasion counter measures"
>Need to find a way to stall everyone.
>> Notice a bunch of "gas canisters" in storage area of docking bay with emergency storage release lever.
> Remember a bunch of crap he said to Haruto including an inside joke about a line from old gospel "3:14"
>> realize it's 3:00pm and he can stroll over to the school and look like a prophet
One Punch Mod
47797 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 4/27/13
Episode 3 made me enjoy this show less. I liked L-Elf's escape via screw throwing (stupid but fun--any fellow Space Brothers watchers who couldn't help but think of its very different loose chair screw scene?), but that was about it. I haven't given up on it, but it's starting to feel a little messy and confused instead of fun and interesting (which is what I was getting from eps 1 and 2, in spite of flaws or preferences that some things be handled a little differently).
24881 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Ar
Online
Posted 4/27/13

AnimeKami wrote:


shaunj07 wrote:

Nothing typical about a mecha pilot vampirizing people allowing him to take over another person's body and then being able to go back to his own body. Secondly, what mecha anime have you seen which the pilot was asked by the mecha programing if he was willing to give up his humanity to pilot the mecha? I understand the criticisms of the main character, but I still wonder what a lot of people expect in 3 episodes. It's almost as if each episode isn't the best thing since sliced bread then it's a disappointment. I've seen a lot of mecha and yet I don't consider this the biggest disappointment of spring 2013. Oh well, I'm sticking with this until the end. This is off the subject sort of, but I'm finding Valvrave much more entertaining than Chihayafuru 2


Lots of mecha animes don't actually specifically say this, but a lot of them have given them up already. This show just made it more implicit.

IE: setsuna f seiei "I am gundam"


I see your point with him. The vampirism surprised me and I'm curious to see what it's all about.
50478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/27/13 , edited 4/27/13

shaunj07 wrote:

I see your point with him. The vampirism surprised me and I'm curious to see what it's all about.

I understand the "be one with the machine" type of mecha vampirism but the random bloodthirsty attacks... I don't understand or enjoy those so much. The first time it happened it was because he was almost dead, shot and stabbed by L-Elf so it made total sense as a survival mode....


This is definitely in my "turn off your brain and just enjoy it" anime category. I will keep watching for a while at least, as long as it holds my interest I will keep on watching and so far, silly or not, it is interesting.

Sadly, most shows are in that category right now without any Shinsekai Yori, Psycho Pass or even Spice & Wolf type shows to make me think. Most are just comedies and/or mindless action now which I enjoy but I hope for a serious show or two tossed in there somewhere. And no, Attack on Titan isn't a thinking show either, not even Gargantia which I am enjoying more than Valvrave but it too is mostly jokes and silliness with a bit of thinking about morals, probably the most thinking out of any spring shows but still not a lot, not yet anyways... perhaps Muromi-san's semi-historical bits... the evolution of dolphins? No, no, not really LOL
22678 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Louisiana
Offline
Posted 4/27/13
There aren't as many comparisons to Code Geass as I thought there would be. I had always thought Code Geass was a bit silly in the overly dramatic way things progressed, but here everyone's nitpicking this show to pieces (to be fair, it is giving us plenty to nitpick about). I'm enjoying it so far, and I'd like to marathon it again after it's finished just to see how it really holds up in comparison.
79020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 4/27/13
people should not view it as vampirism, think of it as "he was injected with a virus which alters his state of mind, also switches the brainwaves of the person he bites. The most direct way of doing so is blood contact." if anything more of a zombie type resident evil without the bad flesh
24881 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Ar
Online
Posted 4/27/13

AnimeKami wrote:

people should not view it as vampirism, think of it as "he was injected with a virus which alters his state of mind, also switches the brainwaves of the person he bites. The most direct way of doing so is blood contact." if anything more of a zombie type resident evil without the bad flesh


Yes, it's not vampirism. That was my bad use of terminology. That's what I called it after the first episode.
50478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/27/13

TrueGoober wrote:

There aren't as many comparisons to Code Geass as I thought there would be. I had always thought Code Geass was a bit silly in the overly dramatic way things progressed, but here everyone's nitpicking this show to pieces (to be fair, it is giving us plenty to nitpick about). I'm enjoying it so far, and I'd like to marathon it again after it's finished just to see how it really holds up in comparison.


I didn't enjoy or even finish Code Geass because it was so overly dramatic and so reliant on over the top powers. This show may be too but so far I will go so far as to say I am enjoying it more than Code Geass. It is an overly dramatic space opera but those can be good if done just right. We will see which way it goes.

The split cour worries me. I worry that very little will be resolved in season one and I'm going to lose interest. I hope not.
runec 
17441 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/27/13
The basic concept of the show isn't actually bad. Its actually rather interesting to have a mecha that requires some sort of horrific nanotechnology to pilot properly.

Its a good concept, but terrible writing. In the hands of a good writer, this would have been a really good show. There's no impact to "sacrificing his humanity", because now we have a whiny emo teenager complaining that he has super powers. Oh, woe is me, now I'm immortal and can take over he body of anyone I want!

Same with L-elf, could have been intimidating in the hands of a good writer. Its a classic bad writer mistake: Show, don't tell. Its not showing us that he's a bad ass, it's telling us. 95% of his supposed bad assery happens off screen or is spoken out loud by nameless extras and is completely unbelievable. 3-4 extra minutes of footage showing HOW he did everything and what lengths he had to go would have made it completely fine.

But instead everything he does happens off screen and requires no apparent effort while requiring everyone opposing him to be functionally retarded. They waltz right into the secret mech lab? JIOL has to be functionally retarded. Kills an entire room fulll of guys? JIOL has to be functionally retarded. An entire battleship crashes in the docking bay because, again, functionally retarded. The captain freaks out because SMOKE makes him suddenly reverse and ignore every single shred of sensor data the ship would have about proximity.

Protip: Spaceships don't require a direct line of sight for, well, practically anything. Even right NOW with the technology we have in 2013. >.>



67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 4/27/13

runec wrote:

Lelouch was a believable tactical genius though, and it at least showed his plotting. He didn't just kill 8 or 9 people with a screw and an absurd series of coincidences. They also bothered to show Lelouch developing as said tactical genius.

L-elf just shows up and we're suppose to believe he's a super amazing awesome bad ass because nameless extras are afraid of him. >.>



I disagree. L-elf's predictions and actions may have been a little over the top by comparison. But personally I found Lelouch's "Oh I already pre-hypnotised someone to effect the reversal of fortune/coup de grace" to be even more annoying. Don't really understand why everyone liked him so much but hated suzaku. (Not that I like suzaku either but... really it was all so extreme)

runec 
17441 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/27/13

papagolfwhiskey wrote:
I disagree. L-elf's predictions and actions may have been a little over the top by comparison. But personally I found Lelouch's "Oh I already pre-hypnotised someone to effect the reversal of fortune/coup de grace" to be even more annoying. Don't really understand why everyone liked him so much but hated suzaku. (Not that I like suzaku either but... really it was all so extreme)



Again, as I just mentioned, strength of writing. Lelouch was a fully fleshed out character that had both build up too and motivations for the moment he, in all honesty, basically kind of went mad. He was overly dramatic because he had created another persona that needed to be looked up too ( and later feared ). He needed to be a symbol and thus grandstanding was part of that persona. The reason it was engaging with Lelouch was getting to see just how far ahead his insane scheming went.

The reason its NOT with L-Elf is because he's a paper thin character with no build up or motivations and the actions attributed to him are neither shown nor have any shred of believably. Lelouch was intelligent and diabolic, its believable that he would be planning several moves ahead. Hence the use of chess as symbolism through out the show. Lelouch has a back story, motivations, character growth and a slow rise to power.

L-Elf kills 9 people because of a chair screw, blows up some odd 15 floors of a building and crashes a battleship in the span of 5 minutes because an extra told us we're suppose to be afraid of him as he once somehow suppressed *5000* soldiers by himself.

Rather huge difference and it by and large comes down the strength of the writers, not the concept. An interesting concept does shit if you don't know how to write good characters or scenes. -.-


3050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 4/27/13

runec wrote:

The basic concept of the show isn't actually bad. Its actually rather interesting to have a mecha that requires some sort of horrific nanotechnology to pilot properly.



Actually I would have been a lot more excited about the concept if it actually was something like nanotechnology, but it's not. Or at least what we've seen of it, it's not nanotech, we don't see any nanotech at all, to me it looks like geassed blood cells. It's very mystical right now and the only way I've been able to keep watching it is to not take seriously and basically laugh at how ridiculous it is.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.