First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
STOP with the 5-star reviews after one episode
25140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Atlanta, Georgia
Offline
Posted 4/12/13

crazedjedi wrote:


EspeoangeTieler wrote:

if you cant say a show is 5 stars after one episode why can you say its going to fail?


Because for a show to get 5 stars it has to be great throughout its entire run, beginning to end. However, if you see stuff you really don't like in the first episode, writing that's weak or lazy, bad animation, cliche characters, you can already tell it's going to be bad. A show could start great in the first couple of episodes (Total Eclipse) and then devolve into something completely lame by the middle or end (Total Eclipse).


While I do agree with your first post, I can't with this one. The reverse of your 5-star to 1-star can also be true (although admittedly it is a little rarer for this to occur). A show might seem terrible at first, or maybe you just didn't like something about it, but after time, it could turn out to be one of the greatest things you've ever seen. This is why most people follow the three-episode rule (which sucks for the shows that get good at episode 4 haha).
3202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 4/12/13
I say this out of kindness and in no way offence! I think age may play a role in this. I’ve been watching anime since I was 13 now it’s the opposite aged at 31. My point is this over time my tastes have changed. I no longer find things as enjoyable as I did when younger. You get older and you have seen more and more of the same thing everything becomes the same old same old. Point being your young new to anime and have it on tap! Let them rate if they want to.
1806 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / matthew williams'...
Offline
Posted 4/12/13

irtiza9169 wrote:


hickey1992 wrote:


-Cobra wrote:

That's your personal opinion, I might rate it a 5 star on a new anime next time just to piss you off


I think I will too.


Same here!


Exactly.
47860 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 4/12/13 , edited 4/12/13
Ratings are useless to me unless I know that your tastes match mine, or that I understand how your ratings are calculated. The only thing I look for in anonymous reviews is a sense of how the show "feels," or what the show is about. Good or bad value judgments are useless to me, not because value judgements are useless, but because I'm unaware of the criteria. If you and I like the same things, then a 5-star rating would be valuable to me. That's why I try and stick with the more popular reviewers. I may not agree, but I get a sense of what they look for after reading a lot of their reviews. For some reviewers a 5-star rating means a lot to me, and for others I may see a 2-star review and think "I want to watch that." I'll read reviewers that like completely different things, but at least I know what they're looking for. With CR reviews though, I have no idea. So yeah, CR reviews are pretty useless, and yeah, a 5-star rating is pretty meaningless. I don't even look at them anymore.
33453 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / ミシガン
Offline
Posted 4/12/13 , edited 4/12/13

Lol, I see u tried to cover up the name of the person who wrote the review. However, u can still see the person's name where it says "See all reviews by ... "


Yeah, I agree w/u, but unless something can get implemented to prevent reviews from being done before a series/season finishes, I don't see this stopping anytime soon. Perhaps u can suggest this in the Feedback forum in the suggestions thread there?
49355 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M/F - Michigan
Offline
Posted 4/12/13 , edited 4/12/13
OP: Just because of your whiny self-absorbed post, I am going to rate every new first episode 5 stars for the next two seasons.

You brought this upon yourself.
22362 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 4/12/13

takiko90 wrote:

Yes, it's annoying, and it's not just on Crunchyroll. People on all kinds of websites watch just the first episode/few episodes and immediately rate and write a review. I usually stop reading a review and move on to the next review immediately if I see something like "I've only watched 3 episodes so far, but the show is amazing." It's also annoying when they watch the first episode, don't like it, and give a whole bunch of nasty criticisms, as there are lots of shows that start off slow but get really good later on.


I agree with you, like lucky star was slow and boring for me at first but I grew to really like it after a few episodes.

Also I find a good way to find a review is to ignore anything with lots of caps or give it a perfect score, because there is almost no anime out there that I consider to be a perfect 5/5 with a few exceptions. So the chance that every anime you rate/review is 5/5 seems highly unlikely and makes the ranking feel pointless.They are still free to rank or review when they want or how they want I just want read it or take it seriously.
33453 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / ミシガン
Offline
Posted 4/12/13

kitsuneshoujo wrote:

OP: Just because of your whiny self-absorbed post, I am going to rate every new first episode 5 stars for the next two seasons.

You brought this upon yourself. :P

Haha, he's actually referring though to the overall rating of the show! In order to give an overall rating for a show, u have to write a review. What the OP is complaining about is people are writing reviews for a show after the 1st ep! And when u write a review for a show, u have to give it an overall rating. And that overall rating is what the OP is complaining about, which makes sense because u can't really rate how good a show is overall based on 1 ep.
49355 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M/F - Michigan
Offline
Posted 4/12/13 , edited 4/12/13

suikojay wrote:


kitsuneshoujo wrote:

OP: Just because of your whiny self-absorbed post, I am going to rate every new first episode 5 stars for the next two seasons.

You brought this upon yourself. :P

Haha, he's actually referring though to the overall rating of the show! In order to give an overall rating for a show, u have to write a review. What the OP is complaining about is people are writing reviews for a show after the 1st ep! And when u write a review for a show, u have to give it an overall rating. And that overall rating is what the OP is complaining about, which makes sense because u can't really rate how good a show is overall based on 1 ep.


Ah.. I misunderstood him then... in which case I agree. Just like I complain about watching a single episode and then saying the whole series is going to suck; it's equally stupid to watch a first episode and say the whole series is going to be as awesome as the second-coming of the flying spaghetti monster or whatever. xD

You are saved from my 5-star wrath Crazedjedi.

>.>

...this time...

<.<

But I'm watching you...
Posted 4/12/13 , edited 4/12/13
Open the SAO fanboy floodgates! (Don't kill me, please).





But on a more serious note, there are worse cases out there, like Aku no Hana on MAL. Aku no Hana (based on just one episode) was rated an average of 5.3 (when I last checked) because a lot of the people had immature comments on the animation, saying some really horrible stuff.
29118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
83 / F / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 4/12/13

suikojay wrote:


Lol, I see u tried to cover up the name of the person who wrote the review. However, u can still see the person's name where it says "See all reviews by ... "


Doh! Can't believe I missed that. Haha...oh well.
20503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / somewhere just no...
Offline
Posted 4/12/13
lol i just came from giveing 6 different animes 5 stars n only saw the first ep. of the new spring season
63290 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / With Lucina
Offline
Posted 4/12/13

kitsuneshoujo wrote:


watch out Crazedjedi, kitsune's got his crazy eyes on you



Nioos wrote:



MAL... user generated scores
yeah you can't really do anything about what others do
just have to live with it


Itachi-kush wrote:

lol i just came from giveing 6 different animes 5 stars n only saw the first ep. of the new spring season




sorry, I just had to post this haha
so applicable to this thread
29898 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 4/12/13
They're not reviews after 1 episode. They're first impressions.

Reviews generally only happen after a show ends, or unless it's f***ing endless like the big three.
22346 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / California
Offline
Posted 4/12/13
Nice! 5/5
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.