First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Highschool Age Characters = Japan's Hope for the Future?
32232 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 4/15/13

People need to know that it's not socially okay to be a pervert.


As true (and self-evident, one hopes) as this statement is, if the ecchi segments of the population keep proving to be lucrative, the studios will keep making things that cater to them.
10374 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / UK
Offline
Posted 4/15/13

DirEnGay wrote:

Which is why a dose of realism in these shows wouldn't hurt. People need to know that it's not socially okay to be a pervert. Perverts are grotesque people and I just can't wrap my head around how these companies full of mature adults can sit writing storyboards and drawing pictures of adolescent teens naked or constantly in their underwear being leered at or groped, with typical subjects such as insest and clear sexual harassment. How does their society consider this okay?

I've seen many brutal films and things in my life, murder, rape, bullying (physical and mental), sexual harassment, and the recurring theme in all of the things I've seen which have clear 18+ age tags is that this is serious and not to be encouraged, copied or viewed in a positive light, and definitely not to be put on TV at a 6pm time slot.

I seriously don't think we're conservative in not believing this is the sort of material that should be marketed to pre-teens and young teens. I mean anime is on a whole nother level, but I would never let my daughter watch any of the the Disney channel type stuff (Hannah Montannah, Bratz etc) that was super popular with young girls the last time I was working (librarian). The ideas being sold are effectively the same - you must be an idol, or stand out in a particular kind of way, to be really living. What happened to people just being true to themselves, taking pleasure in small things, and striving to be the best that they could be within their own realm? Thank you indeed CR, for the jewel in the crown of rationality, realism and hope that is Space Brothers. As a teenager I watched Berserk and GIS and things that pushed back the boundaries - but the darkness behind them was clear and as DirEnGay stated they were not to be encouraged. However I would not say it is wrong to show the motivations behind a psychotic character and thus have you feel compassion towards them - it is dangerous to view life in black and white and dark actions are usually coming from a dark place.

Although we've sort of inverted the OP here, I do wonder if all of these extremely crude hentai/extreme pigeon-holing of personality types that seems to be a trademark of modern anime is some sort of outlet in a society where to actually talk about or say such things is still considered extremely off-centre? Anyone watching Flowers of Evil? Kasuga's dilemma and actions seem to even more poignant when viewed thus.


Goomoonryong wrote:

Eikichi Onizuka is 22 years old and not anywhere near thirty! I know cause hes the same age as me


Onizuka is indeed 22 - little more than a teen himself and a massive perv! Thus his desire for highschool girls is much less revolting than that of a 30 yr old.
15120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 4/15/13

spacebat wrote:


Ama_no_Kagaseo wrote:



I do believe comparing Japan and America is a little like comparing apples to oranges, especially in the realm of media. So I am not sure if we could realistically argue the life span of Justice League or Batman one way or the other to help it make sense in the Japanese media world.



I've never understood that phrase "like comparing apples to oranges" of course you can compare apples to oranges...



I always took as comparing two things who such starkly different flavors that it was pointless. You CAN compare apples to oranges, but what do you hope to gain aside from 'I like apples better'?

Comparing apples t apples on the other had establishes a very clear point of debate. "Well, this apple tastes like X..and this other apple tastes like Z."

Maybe?
375 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / California, US
Offline
Posted 4/15/13
Sums it up exactly. I think it's only because people like to see younger people. Whether its in movies, tv, even heroes or heroines in books. It's what we think is ideal-being young, healthy, and attractive.


No one's really here for a 50 year old slaying monsters
nor a 30 year old single woman who wants to find love.
36717 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Shin Nihon Pro-Wres
Offline
Posted 4/15/13
It really is hilarious when you think about but I love it because I can say THIS
"I too can be *insert awesome anime character name here who is also a teen* because we the same age :DDD!"
Once I get older than 18.......
But the only people who are older in anime I know is the cast from Fate/Zero, Gintoki, that WItchBlade girl and thats it oh wait and Ryota Sakamota from BTOOOM! but other than that I dont know nothing. Gota ask my sis about characters from Monster, and Beserk and Gants and all that fun stuff
15120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 4/15/13

imiami wrote:


DirEnGay wrote:

Which is why a dose of realism in these shows wouldn't hurt. People need to know that it's not socially okay to be a pervert. Perverts are grotesque people and I just can't wrap my head around how these companies full of mature adults can sit writing storyboards and drawing pictures of adolescent teens naked or constantly in their underwear being leered at or groped, with typical subjects such as insest and clear sexual harassment. How does their society consider this okay?

I've seen many brutal films and things in my life, murder, rape, bullying (physical and mental), sexual harassment, and the recurring theme in all of the things I've seen which have clear 18+ age tags is that this is serious and not to be encouraged, copied or viewed in a positive light, and definitely not to be put on TV at a 6pm time slot.

I seriously don't think we're conservative in not believing this is the sort of material that should be marketed to pre-teens and young teens. I mean anime is on a whole nother level, but I would never let my daughter watch any of the the Disney channel type stuff (Hannah Montannah, Bratz etc) that was super popular with young girls the last time I was working (librarian). The ideas being sold are effectively the same - you must be an idol, or stand out in a particular kind of way, to be really living. What happened to people just being true to themselves, taking pleasure in small things, and striving to be the best that they could be within their own realm? Thank you indeed CR, for the jewel in the crown of rationality, realism and hope that is Space Brothers. As a teenager I watched Berserk and GIS and things that pushed back the boundaries - but the darkness behind them was clear and as DirEnGay stated they were not to be encouraged. However I would not say it is wrong to show the motivations behind a psychotic character and thus have you feel compassion towards them - it is dangerous to view life in black and white and dark actions are usually coming from a dark place.

Although we've sort of inverted the OP here, I do wonder if all of these extremely crude hentai/extreme pigeon-holing of personality types that seems to be a trademark of modern anime is some sort of outlet in a society where to actually talk about or say such things is still considered extremely off-centre? Anyone watching Flowers of Evil? Kasuga's dilemma and actions seem to even more poignant when viewed thus.



Figured I would just comment on this entire exchange..

I think that Imiami is right we seem to have twisted the topic at hand to focus on a still niche market of the mainstream anime community. However if we are going to discuss the 'perversion' of anime as it relates to the topic at hand.. If we use a show like Highschool of the Dead [last show I watched all the way through with heavy fan service] to measure what we are projecting as appropriate for our youth, then yes. You are probably correct. However (and I could be ignorant here) I do not believe that it took up a 6:00 time slot. And if it did, it probably wasn't on a family geared network. On the other hand, there are shows like Gintama which are crude (which it can be) I feel like the 'fanservice' is tasteful considering the demographic. Ignoring the fact that sex starts becoming interesting around the same age you might find someone watching Gintama, I think you are missing out on a golden marketing opportunity. Plus, in most cases (excluding shows that, again, cater to a specific demographic) being a pervert comes with a heavy (albeit comical) consequence.

Women react appropriately by knocking the dude into the stars which sets the tone "Hey, if you're going to go around molesting people, you're going to get hurt."

And if we start shaming things which can be perverse, we may as well shame the AV industry while we are at it. As someone who DOESN'T watch porn (to be blunt) I also think it is wrong to shame is so harshly...Ah, but I'm getting off on a tangent here. I don't even really remember where I was going with this, but I'll leave it.

I haven't seen Flowers of Evil yet. Any good? :<
15120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 4/15/13

KingOfHeroess wrote:

It really is hilarious when you think about but I love it because I can say THIS
"I too can be *insert awesome anime character name here who is also a teen* because we the same age :DDD!"
Once I get older than 18.......
But the only people who are older in anime I know is the cast from Fate/Zero, Gintoki, that WItchBlade girl and thats it oh wait and Ryota Sakamota from BTOOOM! but other than that I dont know nothing. Gota ask my sis about characters from Monster, and Beserk and Gants and all that fun stuff


Bro, Master Roshi? Do you even anime?
36717 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Shin Nihon Pro-Wres
Offline
Posted 4/15/13
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!
You get upvote from me. I dont even anime. I am disappoint .
15120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 4/15/13
Glad I could bring some humor your way.
Genaki, Yu Yu Hakusho.
Cast of Samurai 7 mostly.
Spike, Jet, and Faye are all past 25 if I remember right. Especially Jet. (Jecht? I don't remember)
Alucard from Hellsing
I'm pretty sure Jin and Mugen from Samurai Champloo were older.
Gene Starwind from Outlaw Star.

I mean I could go on with characters that are at least 25+. I'll admit, older than 30 gets tough.
36717 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Shin Nihon Pro-Wres
Offline
Posted 4/15/13
The craziest thing is I watched all those animes that were listed besides Samurai Seven. I really am disappoint.
15120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 4/15/13

KingOfHeroess wrote:

The craziest thing is I watched all those animes that were listed besides Samurai Seven. I really am disappoint.


It's okay. You're just going senile early. Get used to it.
36717 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Shin Nihon Pro-Wres
Offline
Posted 4/15/13
10374 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / UK
Offline
Posted 4/16/13 , edited 4/16/13
@Ama_no_Kasage: it doesn't seem that niche though: Ouran, which was huge, and which my ten year old cousin introduced me to, had incest as an overt theme (I was duly mortified). That was a basic shoujo and not something being marketed for an older audience. I guess my concern is that there doesn't seem to be any concern that a young audience is watching/reading things like this too. Fanservice, lolicon, hentai etc etc, these are all things I've had to go look up since returning to anime recently: maybe I just got lucky to miss out on it when i was younger..? You're definitely right that in a lot of shows the pervy guys are frequently being clobbered!

Going back to the topic at hand: a lot of the shows I watched as a teen had older characters as their heroes and that never put me off: I always totally identified with their ideals. It is odd really, to have so many 'high school heroes': (I often find myself worrying about Ichigo and co's grades when watching Bleach!)

Tbh if they didn't make it so overt that characters were highschoolers I'd never even guess their age and I'd still identify with them: it's their personality and what they stand for that's important. I don't think I'm unique in this respect, so are producers just dumbing down programming by shoving teen characters in our faces, or are they really trying to project their hopes on the youth of today (adults of tomorrow)? I find it hard to believe that all of these studios are programming with such grand aspirations: as has been mentioned in the thread earlier a lot of stuff out now is definitely lowest-common-denominator material.

And yes: go watch Flowers of Evil: nerve-wracking is the phrase.
Posted 4/16/13
I agree with the OP in that there is definitely a trend in portraying younger characters as heroic figures, duty bound to bring about change. However, this isn't unique to anime. In dystopian literature (especially novels in the YA market, e.g Hunger Games/Maze Runner/Chaos Walking trilogy) hope is bestowed on adolescent or pre-adolescent characters to transform society. This is also the overarching theme in dystopian anime (Technolyze, Shinsekai Yori, Ergo Proxy, and Attack on Titan, to name a few). It may well be that the popularity of these series reflects growing concerns in modern Japan (political or societal) or even a sense of nostalgia for the innocence/ideals of adolescence. Very interesting topic!
runec 
16419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 4/16/13 , edited 4/16/13
You're asking why the characters in shounen anime are teenagers? >.>

"Youngsters save the world" has been a trope since the dawn of animation. You're basically asking why Harry Potter or Aang is a teenager. Of course they are, that's the target market. Strangely enough teenagers tend to be self absorbed, they like to see and/or imagine themselves in the role of the protagonist. They can't relate to an adult character very well yet. So adult characters serve as role models or goals to strive for.

If there's an adult character around, they are a mentor or bad ass role model to strive towards being like. Someone to measure up to or ultimately defeat if its an antagonist. They need to grow up/power up to reach that level.

You might have a point if we suddenly had a huge rush of shows with whippersnappers saving the world. But its been like that since the dawn of anime and JRPGs.

If you look at seinen or josei, guess what happens to the age of the protagonists? ;p
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.