First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Please use spoiler tags
22804 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Online
Posted 4/15/13
And one more thing: reactions to the preview are not spoilers either.
38275 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 4/15/13
Spoilers don't really bother me much. I'd rather they not be around, but really, if it's a good show then a spoiler won't have much of an effect.

With that said, anyone that reads comments before a video, and expects not to be spoiled, is an idiot. Anyone that expects not to see, say, manga spoilers as well, is a naive idiot. On the other hand, anyone that posts manga spoilers under a video, is not only an idiot (if you want to say something, say it somewhere where people will understand you) but also an asshole. If you want to make a comment about something regarding "future" events, then post it in a manga discussion topic where people are aware of what you're talking about, or make one yourself. The vast amount of people watching an anime will either have no clue what you're talking about, or will otherwise just be pissed off at you. Obviously then, posting under a video makes no sense, unless your goal is to speak nonsense, or otherwise piss people off. If the comment system under videos were different, then I'd have a radically different opinion, but for now, I have noticed that most comments follow a type of "system," and I think it's a good one:

1) Since presumably, the comments under a video refer to that video, it is assumed that you will have watched the video before reading the comments, since doing otherwise would be the equivalent of bringing up a conversation which you know nothing about, which seems kind of, well, retarded. So any current episode spoilers are OK to leave in the open. Which means that:

2) Only "future" events require spoilers, so I don't read anything under a video with a spoiler on it.

Of course, in discussion threads, spoiler tags should be applied whenever relevant, and if you want to talk about events that haven't yet occurred, this is the place to do it. I try to always do this, but sometimes I forget, to which I usually get someone to let me know, "hey, you should probably put a spoiler on that." If I had it my way, then spoilers on stuff that hasn't happened yet wouldn't occur at all under a video, and current events would have spoiler tags. But given that people WILL post on future material, I think only spoilering that stuff is the best system available. Finally, I've learned to expect to be spoiled on most shows at some point. It no longer really pisses me off, because I'm pretty used to it. I still like to read comments, because there are some genuinely cool things to read, but I also expect to read something I don't want to. I get over it.
12900 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Cali
Online
Posted 4/15/13
I'm surprised there are not more people complaining about spoilers in this thread. Most people are saying "I don't mind spoilers because I know the whole story already." Well great you all of you, most people go into a show not knowing anything about it, watch it episode by episode and try to enjoy the show. If you scroll down and read a comment that spoils the episode your on or the next episode, it might not be a big deal unless it's about someone dying or something big. But most of the time it's a spoiler having to do with the end of the story, or a characters death. Everyone keeps saying they don't mind a spoiler or two but other people do. This thread is useless to the people who don't mind spoilers what are you doing here? It's as if your here ( mainly erialolita ) only to laugh at others and spam how much you don't mind spoilers because your so cool for knowing the whole story ahead of time. Only reason I keep replying to erialolita is because she says things like: "Why do I have to worry about someone else s ignorance if you don't want the episode to be spoiled don't read the comments before you watch simple as that." It's people like you who end up ruining something for someone because YOUR ignorance towards spoilers.
38564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Hotaru-verse
Offline
Posted 4/15/13
Spoilers in the comment section are very rude.. SOME people read the comments before they watch a show to find out what other people think of a show, is good or not. Then they will make up their mind weather to watch or not. I myself don't pick shows this way but to each his own. Now if you see a spoiler in the comment section that isn't tagged, report it, CR will remove it, if it's truly a spoiler.
27825 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / 七十七 / ミシガン
Offline
Posted 4/15/13

kizna-chan wrote:

SOME people read the comments before they watch a show to find out what other people think of a show, is good or not. Then they will make up their mind weather to watch or not.

Yes, I think that's why like 90% of video comments (that have been tagged as a spoiler) seem to be about events that happened within that particular ep. The majority of people, I think, believe that this is the way to do it. Some people may agree or disagree, which is fine. But that's why I would love for CR to establish a common ground for us that we can all abide by since we all have different ideas as to when to use the spoil tag. And as far as I can tell, there's nothing in the CR rules (unless I missed it) that even speaks about spoilers and when to use it (in regards to video comments). Until it can be clearly defined, all of us here are kinda just doing things the way we feel it should be done, and that just doesn't work, since as I said earlier, we all have different ideas as to when to tag things as spoilers, and not just of course in the video comments, but here in the discussion forums as well.
9341 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / irst
Offline
Posted 4/15/13 , edited 4/15/13
I say anything that's really important plotwise, and anything happens after the first half of the episode (unless it's about something random and comedic) is a spoiler. And and I do hold CR at fault for sometimes posting episode spoilers in the episode summaries. (There was one where they basically posted how that episode would end. I raged, lol.)

But I also wish the comments let you highlight what part is a spoiler. Otherwise, you have to post two comments: one for the non-spoiler part, and the other for the spoiler.

It's also really annoying to have to click to open the spoiler. With the chance to vote up comments, some people might want their comment to be visible so it's voted up. Because it take work to click on every comment to reveal spoilers.

I also have a beef with the people who post open comments on shows that are being aired on CR, but on an episode that hasn't been put up yet. If episode 4 hasn't aired on this site, and people who've seen it fansubbed already come and comment, it really ruins things for the rest of us. If you want to watch the fansub and discuss it right away, use MAL or other sites.
33619 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / on your lap, purring
Offline
Posted 4/15/13
38275 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 4/15/13

Baroku024 wrote:

I'm surprised there are not more people complaining about spoilers in this thread. Most people are saying "I don't mind spoilers because I know the whole story already." Well great you all of you, most people go into a show not knowing anything about it, watch it episode by episode and try to enjoy the show. If you scroll down and read a comment that spoils the episode your on or the next episode, it might not be a big deal unless it's about someone dying or something big. But most of the time it's a spoiler having to do with the end of the story, or a characters death. Everyone keeps saying they don't mind a spoiler or two but other people do. This thread is useless to the people who don't mind spoilers what are you doing here? It's as if your here ( mainly erialolita ) only to laugh at others and spam how much you don't mind spoilers because your so cool for knowing the whole story ahead of time. Only reason I keep replying to erialolita is because she says things like: "Why do I have to worry about someone else s ignorance if you don't want the episode to be spoiled don't read the comments before you watch simple as that." It's people like you who end up ruining something for someone because YOUR ignorance towards spoilers.


In case my post is contained in this criticism, I'll just defend myself as far as I can.

Whether or not I know what's going to happen is irrelevant to whether or not I'm bothered by spoilers or not. The reason I said that spoilers don't bother me anymore is because they are irrelevant to whether or not a series is good. I have started many very good series knowing beforehand that the main character will die, or story is a tragedy, or someone saves the world. Even so, I still enjoyed them. I said I don't mind spoilers, because they (generally) tell me ALMOST NOTHING about what actually happens. "Oh, he dies next episode? And?" Nobody can relay to me the same experience that I would have if I watched it otherwise. The music, atmosphere, the circumstances under which it happened, the meaning behind it -- none of these things can be spoiled for me. Even if they could be spoiled for me, it would then be the same as watching it, and then what's the problem?

It's not as though I'm saying that spoilers are OK, but the fact is that they've become a reality for me that I've come to terms with. Especially for someone that reads discussions, I flat out expect to gain some unwanted information about what will happen. I think it's terrible that people would say that reading a spoiler "ruins it" for them. Really? Is the information that someone dies all that matters to an event? To claim that a spoiler "ruins" the show is to assume that reading an abstract of the show would be sufficient to enjoy it fully, and I am thoroughly against this. I don't say that "spoilers don't bother me" because I already know what happens (this has almost never been the case, in fact), I say it because it's insulting to everyone that made the show to say that a few words about what happened ruined it.

With that said, there is only one last thing that I want to make note of:

"Why do I have to worry about someone else s ignorance if you don't want the episode to be spoiled don't read the comments before you watch simple as that."


I think this is in reference to this phenomenon:


kizna-chan wrote:
SOME people read the comments before they watch a show to find out what other people think of a show, is good or not. Then they will make up their mind weather to watch or not.


This is something I just don't understand. Why would you watch a show because someone says "it's good?" Whether someone else liked it is irrelevant to why you might like it, and If someone says that it's good, I'm going to want to know their reasons. If I'm asking for their reasons, then they are going to need to refer to the show to do so. It doesn't make sense to me to hear a lot of people say "it was good" or "it was bad" and decide on that basis alone. When I decide to watch a show, I want people to describe it to get a feel for whether it matches my interests, and it seems like that must necessarily cover the shows content. Aside from that, it seems requisite to me to assume that the comments section under an episode are comments on the episode. If you want to comment on the series as a whole, then there are discussion topics for this. If the claim is that comments about the episode should be spoiler tagged, then what the hell shouldn't be tagged? The comments on the video are for the video. It's fine to want to read them beforehand to get a sense for what to expect, but that assumes that you want to know what to expect, i.e., what happens. You should expect to be spoiled on the episode if you are going to read about he episode before you watch it. It seems ludicrous to suggest otherwise. Although, I will agree that comments on "future events" is not only distasteful, but contemptible.
38275 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 4/15/13

suikojay wrote:

But that's why I would love for CR to establish a common ground for us that we can all abide by since we all have different ideas as to when to use the spoil tag.


I agree with this entirely.
12900 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Cali
Online
Posted 4/15/13

theYchromosome wrote:


Baroku024 wrote:

I'm surprised there are not more people complaining about spoilers in this thread. Most people are saying "I don't mind spoilers because I know the whole story already." Well great you all of you, most people go into a show not knowing anything about it, watch it episode by episode and try to enjoy the show. If you scroll down and read a comment that spoils the episode your on or the next episode, it might not be a big deal unless it's about someone dying or something big. But most of the time it's a spoiler having to do with the end of the story, or a characters death. Everyone keeps saying they don't mind a spoiler or two but other people do. This thread is useless to the people who don't mind spoilers what are you doing here? It's as if your here ( mainly erialolita ) only to laugh at others and spam how much you don't mind spoilers because your so cool for knowing the whole story ahead of time. Only reason I keep replying to erialolita is because she says things like: "Why do I have to worry about someone else s ignorance if you don't want the episode to be spoiled don't read the comments before you watch simple as that." It's people like you who end up ruining something for someone because YOUR ignorance towards spoilers.


In case my post is contained in this criticism, I'll just defend myself as far as I can.

Whether or not I know what's going to happen is irrelevant to whether or not I'm bothered by spoilers or not. The reason I said that spoilers don't bother me anymore is because they are irrelevant to whether or not a series is good. I have started many very good series knowing beforehand that the main character will die, or story is a tragedy, or someone saves the world. Even so, I still enjoyed them. I said I don't mind spoilers, because they (generally) tell me ALMOST NOTHING about what actually happens. "Oh, he dies next episode? And?" Nobody can relay to me the same experience that I would have if I watched it otherwise. The music, atmosphere, the circumstances under which it happened, the meaning behind it -- none of these things can be spoiled for me. Even if they could be spoiled for me, it would then be the same as watching it, and then what's the problem?

It's not as though I'm saying that spoilers are OK, but the fact is that they've become a reality for me that I've come to terms with. Especially for someone that reads discussions, I flat out expect to gain some unwanted information about what will happen. I think it's terrible that people would say that reading a spoiler "ruins it" for them. Really? Is the information that someone dies all that matters to an event? To claim that a spoiler "ruins" the show is to assume that reading an abstract of the show would be sufficient to enjoy it fully, and I am thoroughly against this. I don't say that "spoilers don't bother me" because I already know what happens (this has almost never been the case, in fact), I say it because it's insulting to everyone that made the show to say that a few words about what happened ruined it.

With that said, there is only one last thing that I want to make note of:

"Why do I have to worry about someone else s ignorance if you don't want the episode to be spoiled don't read the comments before you watch simple as that."


I think this is in reference to this phenomenon:


kizna-chan wrote:
SOME people read the comments before they watch a show to find out what other people think of a show, is good or not. Then they will make up their mind weather to watch or not.


This is something I just don't understand. Why would you watch a show because someone says "it's good?" Whether someone else liked it is irrelevant to why you might like it, and If someone says that it's good, I'm going to want to know their reasons. If I'm asking for their reasons, then they are going to need to refer to the show to do so. It doesn't make sense to me to hear a lot of people say "it was good" or "it was bad" and decide on that basis alone. When I decide to watch a show, I want people to describe it to get a feel for whether it matches my interests, and it seems like that must necessarily cover the shows content. Aside from that, it seems requisite to me to assume that the comments section under an episode are comments on the episode. If you want to comment on the series as a whole, then there are discussion topics for this. If the claim is that comments about the episode should be spoiler tagged, then what the hell shouldn't be tagged? The comments on the video are for the video. It's fine to want to read them beforehand to get a sense for what to expect, but that assumes that you want to know what to expect, i.e., what happens. You should expect to be spoiled on the episode if you are going to read about he episode before you watch it. It seems ludicrous to suggest otherwise. Although, I will agree that comments on "future events" is not only distasteful, but contemptible.


My reply wasn't to you but your point is taken. I understand that some people don't mind spoilers and honestly I have had endings spoiled for myself as well and I still greatly enjoyed it. But it can ruin the experience for people. If I find out someones going to die on the last episode of a show I will pretty much be anticipating that very thing the whole episode, or from whatever episode I was on when learning of the spoiler. I'm not mad nor do I hate people who post spoilers. I hate the people who spoil the ending of a story when the episode or video they posted the spoiler on, is no where near the end of the story. If I stumble upon a spoiler in a old dead forum, that's my fault. If I scroll down to post a comment, and right below the box is a comment and I start reading it, that's BS. I'm viewing this from both sides. Posting spoilers is fine and as I already said I'm sure most people wouldn't even mind a minor spoiler, but you have people posting major spoilers on episodes, people are even posting spoilers from the manga or novel when the anime has barely started. This is wrong and a great way to ruin someones day for no reason. Also, someone might read a comment to "hype" themselves up for the episode, or to help push them towards trying the episode out. There are many different people out there who do things differently. Most of the people replying are calling others ignorant for reading a spoiler and that doesn't even make sense. I'm kinda rambling now and this post isn't directed only at whoever I replied to, it's just a general big wall of text.
20380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/15/13 , edited 4/15/13
Maybe I have good luck or something but I've never ran into a comment that spoiled the next episode, the ending, or a major death(?) in a series. Whenever I click that "show comment" or whatever is it, the spoiler is usually about the episode itself? These are recent shows too, like SSY or Chihayafuru. The suggestions for different types of spoilers are good though!
It also pays to have a slightly derpy internet that sometimes only loads the video.

2213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/15/13
'bout time I reply.

With the exception of Arsenette, everyone has the correct idea: this thread is about posts below the video.


theYchromosome wrote:
This is something I just don't understand. Why would you watch a show because someone says "it's good?" Whether someone else liked it is irrelevant to why you might like it, and If someone says that it's good, I'm going to want to know their reasons. If I'm asking for their reasons, then they are going to need to refer to the show to do so. It doesn't make sense to me to hear a lot of people say "it was good" or "it was bad" and decide on that basis alone. When I decide to watch a show, I want people to describe it to get a feel for whether it matches my interests, and it seems like that must necessarily cover the shows content. Aside from that, it seems requisite to me to assume that the comments section under an episode are comments on the episode. If you want to comment on the series as a whole, then there are discussion topics for this. If the claim is that comments about the episode should be spoiler tagged, then what the hell shouldn't be tagged? The comments on the video are for the video. It's fine to want to read them beforehand to get a sense for what to expect, but that assumes that you want to know what to expect, i.e., what happens. You should expect to be spoiled on the episode if you are going to read about he episode before you watch it. It seems ludicrous to suggest otherwise. Although, I will agree that comments on "future events" is not only distasteful, but contemptible.


An example of why people might read the comments beforehand would be... oh, well, I'll just use me.
Why?
I usually don't read the comments before watching, but when I do, it's often because 1) There's no review available (and viewing a review elsewhere may give serious spoilers) and 2) I do look for hints at people's response. If I see something like "Ooo, her ass is sexy." I'm guessing it's probably not a show I'd want to watch.

So in a way, reading the comments before the show could be helpful, could be detrimental.

And yes, it's primarily the future ep. spoilers and manga spoilers that bother me. I think most of us are pretty much in agreement on the fact that they're very rude.

I too have gotten used to seeing episodes spoiled. Although thankfully people don't usually spoil much in their 120 characters.

In the end, it's just a matter of practice. On one side, people who don't want to be spoiled should stay away from the comments section. On the other side, people can be courteous by using tags when what they are going to say would spoil something for other people. Hence, I was just asking please use the tags.


As suikojay pointed out, spoilers aren't well... defined, we'll say. What constitutes a spoiler. Better yet - what constitutes an acceptable spoiler.
Consider the following event in a show: The lead character, called "Jeff", plays baseball. In one scene, he pulls out a bowling ball and clobbers the show's butt monkey (look that up on TVTropes if you don't know what I mean) for a scene of humor. Do people want to talk about the event? Sure. Here's what would be an "acceptable" spoiler:

"Jeff's throw - that was absolutely wicked!"

A person reading the comments would know some event happens where Jeff throws the ball, so an event in the story is described and commented on. No spoiler tags would be fine because the details aren't clear enough for the person scanning the comments to have any idea what that was about. In fact, it may give them something to look forward to in the episode.

An UNacceptable spoiler would be something like:

"Jeff + BBall = Buttmonkeyface"

Which gives away the event entirely.
Another unacceptable spoiler would be something like:

"You should see Jeff's throw in the next ep."

After having seen the video, a person scanning the comments has a better idea of what to expect, so a statement like that would be detrimental to their enjoyment of the moment in the next video.

Hence, I find it acceptable for people to talk about the events in the CURRENT video, so long as the details are fuzzy enough for people to not make out what exactly happened. I realize there's still alot of ambiguity in this, but at least with this example I hope I've clarified that there is room to have fun in the comments section without spoiler tags.

(And just FYI - no, I don't think it's funny for someone to get hit in the face with a baseball. That was merely for the example.)
38275 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 4/15/13 , edited 4/15/13

HoshinoKaabi wrote:



Fair enough. And I quite like suikojay's idea of Crunchyroll setting some sort of policy on this, just so we have one. I think that, unfortunately, it would only help a little bit though. I get the feeling that most people probably don't read the forum policies, and there are always people that just want to troll, which you can't really do much about anyway. At any rate though, we're sort of in a position right now where, I disagree slightly with what you consider a spoiler under a video, but it's not as though I think you're wrong. There's an extent to which what you're saying seems correct, which seems to suggest that it's somewhat of a matter of perspective. Even though I disagree with you (albeit not by much) I'd still have no problem adhering to the "HoshinoKaabi Spoiler Standard" if CR were to make it explicit, which might solve some of our problems.
27825 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / 七十七 / ミシガン
Offline
Posted 4/16/13

theYchromosome wrote:

I think that, unfortunately, it would only help a little bit though. I get the feeling that most people probably don't read the forum policies, and there are always people that just want to troll, which you can't really do much about anyway.

Yeah, I don't think many people read over the forum rules, but that's why I was thinking of something else (that I posted about earlier), like putting a link near or above the "Add Comment" button and having it say, "What is a Spoiler? Please click if unsure." or "Please click here to see what constitutes a Spoiler." or something to those effects. I think if people see that right above the "Add Comment" button or close to it, I think people will get curious and will click on it so they can see what's acceptable and not. I know if I saw it, I know I would be curious right away before I would even think to click the "Add Comment" button! But that's just me though.
38275 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 4/16/13

suikojay wrote:


theYchromosome wrote:

I think that, unfortunately, it would only help a little bit though. I get the feeling that most people probably don't read the forum policies, and there are always people that just want to troll, which you can't really do much about anyway.

Yeah, I don't think many people read over the forum rules, but that's why I was thinking of something else (that I posted about earlier), like putting a link near or above the "Add Comment" button and having it say, "What is a Spoiler? Please click if unsure." or "Please click here to see what constitutes a Spoiler." or something to those effects. I think if people see that right above the "Add Comment" button or close to it, I think people will get curious and will click on it so they can see what's acceptable and not. I know if I saw it, I know I would be curious right away before I would even think to click the "Add Comment" button! But that's just me though.


Makes sense to me -- let's get it done Crunchyroll!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.